Global entry

RNGALNG

Is there a way to find out when interview appointments are available before I begin the process. I realize of course, it is subject to change. I just want to know if it is available this year or not until next year so I can decide if it will work. I tried Google and clicked around some various websites but nothing said "interview appointment". It looks like you already have to be approved to go into the website that has the appointments information.

No. Though look at flyer talk. There is a lot of talk about scheduling appointments. You can ask or see what others are saying about your location. There are a lot of people who schedule 6 months out but check back a lot and can find one within a week or two due to cancellations. There are also places such as SFO that are doing 24/7 interviews as a trial. That website is far more informative.

Edited by Coral

No. Though look at flyer talk. There is a lot of talk about scheduling appointments. You can ask or see what others are saying about your location. There are a lot of people who schedule 6 months out but check back a lot and can find one within a week or two due to cancellations. There are also places such as SFO that are doing 24/7 interviews as a trial. That website is far more informative.

What section in flyer talk can I find this info?

If you are in RI, also look at the offices in Boston and at JFK. A friend just got his conditional approval, and went on the JFK site to look for any cancellations. He got the appointment in less than a week......

What section in flyer talk can I find this info?

Travel Safety / Security in the Trusted Travelers sticky section.

Yes - Travel Safety/Security and then Trusted Travelers

The info is in a few of the threads that you would find helpful such as GE processing time and GE Walk in Interviews. I learned a bunch there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from my Global Entry interview. This is my review of the process.

Drove about two hours from North Alabama to Nashville. My appointment was at 1100 and the wife's was at 1115. I'm glad we had GPS because the location would have been difficult to find.

We arrived about 1030. There were six people in the waiting room. Things went swiftly as there were two interview officers. Some points:

- They would not take both of us at the same time. We each had our own separate interview.

- The interview went swiftly. Just a few questions about travel history and plans. Took our pictures and prints. That was it. Ten minutes tops.

- We will get our cards in two or three weeks.

- Our global access is effective from today. You do not need the cards to do global access. The clearance information is loaded into the passport system. That information will come up when the passport is scanned.

- Nothing is "loaded" into your passport. The information is "loaded" into the system.

-The only time you need your global access card is if you are walking/driving across the boarder with Canada or Mexico. The agent said to lock it in the safe and just carry your passport.

- You do not have to fill out the Customs Declaration form. You will input that when you use the Global Entry Kiosk. Not sure how that will work. I can't imagine having to key in all the information about the t-shirts you bought in Cozumel. Maybe it's only an amount??

- A topic of conversation in the waiting room was the difficulty of getting appointments. There were people there who had driven from other locations where they could have done the interview but could not get an appointment for months. Nashville opened up a block of weekend appointments a couple of weeks ago and those of us there today just happened to check the day the offered this. We only waited two weeks for our appointment. Since we're in the system now, I can't see the appointment schedules but I imagine Nashville if full up now.

- And, no, there are no 'walk in' interviews in Nashville.

Questions?

- You do not have to fill out the Customs Declaration form. You will input that when you use the Global Entry Kiosk. Not sure how that will work. I can't imagine having to key in all the information about the t-shirts you bought in Cozumel. Maybe it's only an amount??

I have no experience with being over the duty-free allowance but if you're under, you just answer No to the question that asks if you've exceeded. There is no need to list everything you bought. If you're over, I have no idea what it does.

I have no experience with being over the duty-free allowance but if you're under, you just answer No to the question that asks if you've exceeded. There is no need to list everything you bought. If you're over, I have no idea what it does.

That makes sense. I imagine you fill out the form and see an agent if you're over.

Drove about two hours from North Alabama to Nashville. My appointment was at 1100 and the wife's was at 1115. I'm glad we had GPS because the location would have been difficult to find.

We arrived about 1030. There were six people in the waiting room. Things went swiftly as there were two interview officers. Some points:

- They would not take both of us at the same time. We each had our own separate interview.

- The interview went swiftly. Just a few questions about travel history and plans. Took our pictures and prints. That was it. Ten minutes tops.

- We will get our cards in two or three weeks.

- Our global access is effective from today. You do not need the cards to do global access. The clearance information is loaded into the passport system. That information will come up when the passport is scanned.

- Nothing is "loaded" into your passport. The information is "loaded" into the system.

-The only time you need your global access card is if you are walking/driving across the boarder with Canada or Mexico. The agent said to lock it in the safe and just carry your passport.

- A topic of conversation in the waiting room was the difficulty of getting appointments. There were people there who had driven from other locations where they could have done the interview but could not get an appointment for months. Nashville opened up a block of weekend appointments a couple of weeks ago and those of us there today just happened to check the day the offered this. We only waited two weeks for our appointment. Since we're in the system now, I can't see the appointment schedules but I imagine Nashville if full up now.

- And, no, there are no 'walk in' interviews in Nashville.

Questions?

Thanks for the report!

At a number of airports now, even for those without Global Entry, there are kiosks that replace the need to fill out the form.

After answering the questions (and as another poster noted, they only ask if you have exceeded the allowance), they take your picture and print out a sheet of paper to hand to the customs agent. If there was some question that the kiosk did not like the answer to, there is a big X printed on the paper and the customs agent will follow up on that.

Just as family members traveling together filled out a single custom form, the family members will use the same kiosk at the same time, each person having his/her passport scanned.

The cards seem to be required for the "GE lite" versions they're doing at Port Everglades and Canada Place. Until the kiosks are in place, you will be forced to show the cards to access the GE lane. The cards are also required to gain entry to the CATSA security express lanes at Canadian airports with preclearance facilities.

My GE card arrived in exactly one week.

According to some of the other websites, it is still taking 20-21 days to get conditionally approved for GE.

I think ours was here in less than a week. We were also fortunate to get an appointment right away in West Palm Beach (read Riviera Beach Port area) and this location had walk-in times available most days in the afternoon.

I agree with carrying your GE cards with you. The system was broken in Miami when we came back from Ecuador and if we had not had our cards with us to prove we had GE we would have had to stand in long lines. I would always take it just in case the machines are not working!

Edited by GweninTX

Anyone scheduled in Fort Lauderdale and wanting to move up your appointment, you may want to check it out! I check everyday and something happened today that opened up a bunch of days/times. We were scheduled in late August and dh and I were able to get 2 BTB appointments in mid-July.

I have a question.....

We already have SWA flights booked in late July. Once we get approved and have our temporary cards, how can I enter that info in for our flights? I want to make sure we are marked TSA Pre. Is that possible since the flights are already booked?

Anyone scheduled in Fort Lauderdale and wanting to move up your appointment, you may want to check it out! I check everyday and something happened today that opened up a bunch of days/times. We were scheduled in late August and dh and I were able to get 2 BTB appointments in mid-July.

I have a question.....

We already have SWA flights booked in late July. Once we get approved and have our temporary cards, how can I enter that info in for our flights? I want to make sure we are marked TSA Pre. Is that possible since the flights are already booked?

I just tried to make a booking with SWA and it asks for your Known Traveler #. I am pretty sure you can go into your reservation/profile and add this. I know people do this to their profile with other airlines. Most of the time you need at least 24-48 hours for it to work before your flight (from what I have read on flyer talk).

You should be able to do this right after you receive your approval email or your website changes from conditionally approved to approved. I saw my approval on line before I received the email. You don't need to wait for your card.

Just be sure your reservations have your RR numbers. Then make sure your Trusted Traveler number is in your RR profile.

Of course, this assumes you have a RR account. If not, just enroll via the SW website. Then follow the steps above.

Are you aware that West Palm Beach (actually in Riviera Beach) offers walk-ins from 3:00-4:00 pm everyday? The interview site is in a new building immediately adjacent to the dock for the Grand Celebration (Bahamas cruise ship).

We went today, arrived about 2:20 and left with our GE before 3:30. Our appointments had been for late August, but we decided to roll the dice and try the walk-in.

There were 10-15 people still waiting when we left, but they actually added one officer to do interviews for that last hour.

So, we were totally enrolled 5 days after we were notified of preliminary approval.

Edited by thinfool

We have our appointments for mid-August in Philly, but I check every day for cancellations. Today it said all appointments were closed and to find another location. As of yesterday, they were booking into late September. Is there an outside limit on appointment times, or is something odd going on? Anybody know or have heard of something similar?

I'll add to the "check back after you book your initial appointment" parade. I'm in Atlanta, and the earliest they had initially was mid-September. I booked it. The next day, a slot opened up for the Saturday 6/18 (which I couldn't make). An hour later, a slot opened for Thursday 6/23, and I grabbed it! You need to keep trying. :)

Weird thing about Atlanta. They have two locations in Georgia, one at Hartsfield Airport, and the other is at a US Customs office, which is about a mile away from the airport. :confused:

Just be sure your reservations have your RR numbers. Then make sure your Trusted Traveler number is in your RR profile.

Of course, this assumes you have a RR account. If not, just enroll via the SW website. Then follow the steps above.

Yes, we both have SWA RR accounts and our RR numbers are listed on the current SWA reservation. So, it sounds like after I get the Trusted Traveler number, I just go to the SWA website and add that in? And, hopefully the system will know to add it to my existing reservation for TSA pre?

That sounds simple enough and hopefully it works! :)

Edited by metairiegal

I just tried to make a booking with SWA and it asks for your Known Traveler #. I am pretty sure you can go into your reservation/profile and add this. I know people do this to their profile with other airlines. Most of the time you need at least 24-48 hours for it to work before your flight (from what I have read on flyer talk).

You should be able to do this right after you receive your approval email or your website changes from conditionally approved to approved. I saw my approval on line before I received the email. You don't need to wait for your card.

Thanks for the info!

Are you aware that West Palm Beach (actually in Riviera Beach) offers walk-ins from 3:00-4:00 pm everyday? The interview site is in a new building immediately adjacent to the dock for the Grand Celebration (Bahamas cruise ship).

We went today, arrived about 2:20 and left with our GE before 3:30. Our appointments had been for late August, but we decided to roll the dice and try the walk-in.

There were 10-15 people still waiting when we left, but they actually added one officer to do interviews for that last hour.

So, we were totally enrolled 5 days after we were notified of preliminary approval.

Wow, that was very fast for you. Must be a record!

I didn't know WPB had walk-ins every day. Good to know. Sat and Sun, too?

For some reason we wanted to go to Fort Lauderdale as we are very familiar with that area and thought it would be easier for us.

Thanks so much to everyone on this thread. It has been very helpful and the info is much appreciated. :)

Edited by metairiegal

Yes, we both have SWA RR accounts and our RR numbers are listed on the current SWA reservation. So, it sounds like after I get the Trusted Traveler number, I just go to the SWA website and add that in? And, hopefully the system will know to add it to my existing reservation for TSA pre?

That sounds simple enough and hopefully it works! :)

It's been so long that I don't remember the details, but DW's first SW boarding pass after getting her TT number did not have the pre-check notation. We called SW, they did something behind the scenes, and we re-printed the boarding pass. The pre-check notation magically appeared. So, don't give up if your first boarding pass isn't correct. (That was five years ago, and every subsequent boarding pass has been correct.)

Wow, that was very fast for you. Must be a record!

I didn't know WPB had walk-ins every day. Good to know. Sat and Sun, too?

For some reason we wanted to go to Fort Lauderdale as we are very familiar with that area and thought it would be easier for us.

Thanks so much to everyone on this thread. It has been very helpful and the info is much appreciated. :)

I got mine 3 days later :). There are people on Flyertalk who get appointments within 48 hours so they have beat me.

I was conditionally approved on Tuesday and my interview was Friday.