Celebrity Moving Down Market??

vancojo

My first thought would be, are other lines offering the TA better commissions or similar?

Never in a million years would I base a decision on anything a TA had to say without a lot more research.

Yes I am sceptical too of travel agents and don't use them but based on my experience (last two weeks) I would think they are right.

And it is a reputable travel agent who has steered my parents right in the past.

Anyway I am putting a disappointing cruise behind me and taking leave of this board.

But if each review is honest people can decide whether something is for them or not. Reflection 2015 was for us even with some things not going right. Equinox 2016 definitely wasn't. We had great times at the ports but the on board experience was less than fulfilling.

We were on Reflection for the Spring 2016 TA, Eclipse for the Spring 2015 TA and now we will be on Equinox for the Fall TA in 2 months. We LOVED both of our prior TA's and certainly will be measuring Equinox against them.... I hope that we are as pleased, will certainly report back here either way. :)

We were on Reflection for the Spring 2016 TA, Eclipse for the Spring 2015 TA and now we will be on Equinox for the Fall TA in 2 months. We LOVED both of our prior TA's and certainly will be measuring Equinox against them.... I hope that we are as pleased, will certainly report back here either way. :)

On the TA you will not experience one of our main negatives - all inclusive pricing - so that will be a better experience. You will also not experience the crowd that brings.

Your experience of the food, service and entertainment will be interesting.

Hope you have a really great cruise. And hope the Thai bartender is still in Ensemble. She was top class.

Edited by Pavovsky

To me there was a very sharp dis improvement in the food in the buffet restaurant. I was impressed last year how good it was. Breakfast and lunch and the one dinner I had. This time it was not appealing. Except the curries.

Do the review here matter to Celebrity? Well they market the performances on these reviews where up to now they have been considered one of the best of the large cruise lines at sea. I have used those reviews to decide on Celebrity over other lines. I am sure others do the same. When considering reviews I usually disregard the most negative and also those who are overly positive. I have posted what I see as a balanced review which is fairly scathing on the overall mark but tries to give a subjective view of my experience. My wife would have been far harsher on certain issues. Others on the same ship will have had a great time I am sure. Others less so.

But if each review is honest people can decide whether something is for them or not. Reflection 2015 was for us even with some things not going right. Equinox 2016 definitely wasn't. We had great times at the ports but the on board experience was less than fulfilling.

I just want to add a few words. I had similar situation ( I was not happy or satisfied with some issues of the cruise on RC -Anthem) and I emailed to corporate office, got a phone call back and here what I was told. % of people who are not satisfied with food or service or something else report or comment on it is such a tiny %% to hundreds of thousands people, who had sailed, so cruise line don't see it as a problem. But only till bookings start to drop. And it is seems that X found a golden egg, called " beverage package", and till it is offered, people will continue to book. Last year I sailed 30 days with Celebrity - all were very good. This year - only 10 days, 15 days were with other cruise lines and I have 31 days booked for next year. But next year bookings will depend on this year experience.

Sad to say - I don't think we will see changes for better...

X is concerning that there are complains

Edited by ISABELLA

I have had meals on both Celebrity and RCCL that were inedible. Really, totally inedible. Even my husband who eats almost anything had to send entrees back because he could not eat them. So it happens.

I think you're missing the other posters pont. What he's saying is that people make sweeping statements but without giving a meaningful explanation. If someone thought there meal was inedible because (insert detailed and meaningful explanation here) then their comments may be taken seriously. Those who simply state that the food was bad or even inedible are not taken seriously due to the lack of explanation.

At least if something is 'inedible' it will be replaced quickly and without fuss. I have seen a meal sent back because the lady who ordered it didn't realise the beef she was ordering was uncooked, and thus in her opinion,was 'inedible'! :D However the wait staff simply swapped it for something else.

I think you're missing the other posters pont. What he's saying is that people make sweeping statements but without giving a meaningful explanation. If someone thought there meal was inedible because (insert detailed and meaningful explanation here) then their comments may be taken seriously. Those who simply state that the food was bad or even inedible are not taken seriously due to the lack of explanation.

At least if something is 'inedible' it will be replaced quickly and without fuss. I have seen a meal sent back because the lady who ordered it didn't realise the beef she was ordering was uncooked, and thus in her opinion,was 'inedible'! :D However the wait staff simply swapped it for something else.

And on all the different boards here on CC, time after time the ones doing the complaining still keep booking with the same line. Makes one go, hummmmmm:confused:

And on all the different boards here on CC, time after time the ones doing the complaining still keep booking with the same line. Makes one go, hummmmmm:confused:

Well I complained here. Did my review. Described why the food was not up to par and will definitely not sail with them again. For us the negatives now outweigh the positives. Their new product is just not us.

Next year it will be the Greek islands on our own which will have its own challenges but will offer us new opportunities.

On the TA you will not experience one of our main negatives - all inclusive pricing - so that will be a better experience. You will also not experience the crowd that brings.

Oh so here is the real problem, the other's you were 'forced' to tolerate were not up to your status level. A tad elitists don't you think?

Oh so here is the real problem, the other's you were 'forced' to tolerate were not up to your status level. A tad elitists don't you think?

Yes. Fully agree. I don't like all inclusive and the crowds it brings. The same reason I don't take my holidays in Torremolinos or Ocean City Maryland. The positive about it was that the ports were less crowded.

But the cost cutting on service and food quality were my key complaints. And I have been clear about that.

Edited by Pavovsky

Anyway I am putting a disappointing cruise behind me and taking leave of this board.

Yes. Fully agree. I don't like all inclusive and the crowds it brings. The positive about it was that the ports were less crowded.

But my other complaints about cost cutting on service and food were my key complaints.

This has to be the shortest "taking leave of this board" yet. :D

Less than 24 hours, again, makes one go huuuuuuummmmmmmmmm.

Hope you enjoy the Greek Isles on your next vacation.

This has to be the shortest "taking leave of this board" yet. :D

Less than 24 hours, again, makes one go huuuuuuummmmmmmmmm.

Hope you enjoy the Greek Isles on your next vacation.

You are being very aggressive. Are in the employ of celebrity cruises? Are you a celebrity ambassador?

And what accusation are you actually making?

Edited by Pavovsky

We are not really convinced the "all inclusive" issue is a valid complaint. Nearly every mass market line now offers similar drink packages (HAL, Princess, RCI, etc). So not sure why Celebrity's package would lure folks from other cruise lines because of the package.

Hank

We are not really convinced the "all inclusive" issue is a valid complaint. Nearly every mass market line now offers similar drink packages (HAL, Princess, RCI, etc). So not sure why Celebrity's package would lure folks from other cruise lines because of the package.

Hank

When I look at the RCI package I didn't seem to include spirits? HAL I think also requires all occupants of the cabin to have the package.

You are being very aggressive. Are in the employ of celebrity cruises? Are you a celebrity ambassador?

And what accusation are you actually making?

No employee here, just a good ole used automobile salesman!

Day after day we see members 'take their leave' that never do.

I only took you for your word, as people do me every day.

But that is real life, this is the internet, my bad. See ya tomorrow.

When I look at the RCI package I didn't seem to include spirits? HAL I think also requires all occupants of the cabin to have the package.

RCI's packages are very similar to Celebrity's, including the cost of the package and price of drinks.

RCI's packages are very similar to Celebrity's, including the cost of the package and price of drinks.

Packages for additional sale are one thing - a customer can decide to buy one or to pay for drinks one by one - but providing packages as a free 'perk' is different.

No employee here, just a good ole used automobile salesman!

Day after day we see members 'take their leave' that never do.

I only took you for your word, as people do me every day.

But that is real life, this is the internet, my bad. See ya tomorrow.

Have a great evening.

Packages for additional sale are one thing - a customer can decide to buy one or to pay for drinks one by one - but providing packages as a free 'perk' is different.

I'm aware of that, but I was responding to his question about whether or not RCI's packages include alcohol.

FWIW, Royal Caribbean frequently sells cruises as "all-inclusive" in the summer out of Southampton, so the all-inclusive feature must be in response to customer demand from that port.

Princess and HAL are both running specials right now that include their beverage package, so the practice is becoming quite wide-spread.

Mommy once told me there is no such thing as a free perk :). Most folks are now well aware that the cruise lines usually charge more for the cabins when they give "free" perks. Once the perk promotion has ended, it is very common to see the price of a cabin at a much lower price point. And the cruise lines are very good at playing this game. They will value some perks (like drink packages) at a much higher value then the perk is actually worth to the average cruiser. For example, DW and I routinely spend $60-$70 per day (total for two) for drinks over the course of an entire cruise. But most cruise lines would value 2 drink packages at well over $100. To us, those packages are only worth about $70...which is how we figure it when making our booking decisions.

Hank:eek:

Mommy once told me there is no such thing as a free perk :)

I think your Mother was right.

But lots of folks never got the message which may account for their buying habits.

Value is indeed in the eye of the beholder and woe be to anyone who has a different opinion than those on Cruise Critic defending their preferred cruise line.

Your experience of the food, service and entertainment will be interesting.

Hope you have a really great cruise. And hope the Thai bartender is still in Ensemble. She was top class.

Thanks, hope we do too.

I will say that while there aren't the perks of "free" beverage packages available on the TA's anymore, I've never seen so many Elite and Elite Plus people as on the two TA's we did. The lounges, especially the Ensemble lounge, was ABSOLUTELY packed with people every night using their 3 free drink coupons each night. There were over 1000 Elite, Elite Plus on both of these cruises, so the potential for the same issue you have is there too. We didn't witness on those cruises and hopeful we won't on the Equinox TA this October....

Edited by Gracie115

Thanks, hope we do too.

I will say that while there aren't the perks of "free" beverage packages available on the TA's anymore, I've never seen so many Elite and Elite Plus people as on the two TA's we did. The lounges, especially the Ensemble lounge, was ABSOLUTELY packed with people every night using their 3 free drink coupons each night. There were over 1000 Elite, Elite Plus on both of these cruises, so the potential for the same issue you have is there too. We didn't witness on those cruises and hopeful we won't on the Equinox TA this October....

It isn't unusual to have a large number of Elite and Elite Plus passengers on TA's. Usually, if there is a large number, they will issue vouchers, that can be used in other drink venues. This opens up the Sky Lounge and other areas as well.

It isn't unusual to have a large number of Elite and Elite Plus passengers on TA's. Usually, if there is a large number, they will issue vouchers, that can be used in other drink venues. This opens up the Sky Lounge and other areas as well.

I suspect the number of Elite and above members will steadily increase now too. They seem to be filling their ships and with other on order it stands to reason that numbers will only get higher.

It will be interesting to see what impact this has on the future of the line, though I suspect some will say that t's already having an impact on prices and beverage pack offerings etc.

The genius of marketing cruises with drink packages is that it negates one of the more expensive perks given to Elites and Elite Plus. The daily free cocktail hour! It has now become somewhat irrelevant to those of us with Classic or Premium drink packages. We used to attend the daily cocktail parties and take advantage of our free drinks. But now, we seldom bother going to those cocktail parties since we have either of the drink packages. And must admit that being at the packed Martini Bar in late afternoon/early evening is somewhat more fun then the oft sedate Elite cocktail hours. On our last couple of cruises, because of so many Elites, we received our free drink coupons. But with the drink package, they remain unused.

So rather then taking a benefit away from Elites, Celebrity has found a brilliant solution to mitigate the problem of too many Elites.

Hank