Cruise Next Deposit

welshman71

Everyone has a job. From the McDonalds drive thru person who is suppose to upsell French fries size to sell Apple pies,,, to the cruise consultant. It may come across as pushy, but people should understand and tolerate the sale pitch. There are so many ways to take advantage of the discount that doesn't involve sitting through the sales pitch. Fill out the form, use your stateroom tv, use iConcierge. If they call you, immediately excuse yourself and hang up. You have total control. If you insist on going to the desk, tune out for a few minutes and enjoy your discount.

Sure, everyone has a job. Some do their jobs well, and some not so well. The person with whom I dealt wasn't just a typical pushy salesperson - she was rude, condescending, and downright nasty with me. Even if I'd planned to buy more than one certificate, there's not a chance in hell I would have after that, and I'm sure that part of it isn't her "job", as you say. Not all the agents I've dealt with have been that way. Most fit into your description above.

you get a bigger bonus per certificate if you buy 2 or more.

instead of $100 obc each, you get $125 each when you buy 2+!!!

so in this case, the cruise consultants were actually trying to give you a better deal.

or has that changed? (it's been a year since I bought mine.)

Yeah the deal just got better. Buy $500(2x$250) and you pay only $250 with no OBC. It's good deal even if the sale pitch is tacky and pushy.

Sure, everyone has a job. Some do their jobs well, and some not so well. The person with whom I dealt wasn't just a typical pushy salesperson - she was rude, condescending, and downright nasty with me. Even if I'd planned to buy more than one certificate, there's not a chance in hell I would have after that, and I'm sure that part of it isn't her "job", as you say. Not all the agents I've dealt with have been that way. Most fit into your description above.

Since we were on the same cruise we were probably dealing with the same person as our experience was similar. We purchased our certificate through the TV so I don't think it's right that they won't process it until they give you the up-sell spiel. My wife originally called down to the desk but eventually gave me the phone after her several polite "no thank you we only need the one" response was ignored so she gave the phone to me.

I very politely told the person that I only needed one as my wife my explained. At that point it turned rude and nasty with the person telling me that I did not understand how good of a deal it was and that I should rethink it. It was at this point that I told her if she did not want to sell me only one then forget and maybe I should stick to other cruise lines. This changed her tune and she processed the one. We purchased it through the TV so we didn't have to go to the desk and waste our valuable vacation time listening to the spiel but that happened anyway and her nasty attitude and rudeness put a damper on our day.

That was May 27th and we received our confirmation email today. I went to our account online but nothing showed there but when I called to book our October cruise they had the information and the booking was quick and easy using the certificate.

I relate the whole experience of purchasing the certificate to pushy souvenir sellers in port that are so rude they make you not want to look at their goods but if they were polite and welcoming then maybe you might actually purchase something. It's about the attitude and polite sales techniques.

Edited by welshman71

I bought the deposits while on the ship. How exactly do they work? I was told that $250 deposit has $500 value when booking the next cruise, but in my NCL account the value is $250.

Somewhere there is confusion or misunderstanding. The value is $250. You can use it for the entire deposit on a regular cabin, regardless how many people you are booking. Then $250, not $500, is subtracted from the balance you owe for the cruise.

Since you said deposits, plural, I'm thinking you bought more than one. You'd have paid a net of $250 on the ship for 2 deposits worth a total of $500 ($250 each). That's where the savings lies.

Edited by LrgPizza

Question about the CN Deposit:

We will be cruising this August and already have 2 NCL cruises booked for 2017. No plans for another cruise after that for a while.

Has anyone tried and been successful or unsuccessful in applying the CN certificate to an already booked cruise?

If I knew it was possible, I would purchase some this August and try to apply it to my already booked cruise. If it was a known impossibility, I would wait until next year and consider getting some on one of my cruises then instead.

Thanks for giving any insight or personal experiences.

Has anyone tried and been successful or unsuccessful in applying the CN certificate to an already booked cruise?

I have done it a few times. It is probably technically against the rules, but they have never refused to do it (even for cruises past final payment, although that was probably pushing it). If the phone reps at the regular number can't/won't do it, call the CruiseNext office directly.

I have done it a few times. It is probably technically against the rules, but they have never refused to do it (even for cruises past final payment, although that was probably pushing it). If the phone reps at the regular number can't/won't do it, call the CruiseNext office directly.

Thanks for the first hand experience. Appreciate you answering my question. I'll probably get 2 this August and give it a try. If it doesn't work, I'll just have to use it for a future new booking.

I know you have 4 years to use it. I assume 4 years to use it as a deposit? So, if it "expires" 8/2020, I can use it to book a cruise during, lets say 2021, as long as I make the booking before 8/2020 and apply the CN certificate before the expiration date?

I bought one last week. My TA just needed my Lattitudes number to use it

Did you make a new booking or have your TA apply it to a previous booking?

Somewhere there is confusion or misunderstanding. The value is $250. You can use it for the entire deposit on a regular cabin, regardless how many people you are booking. Then $250, not $500, is subtracted from the balance you owe for the cruise.

Since you said deposits, plural, I'm thinking you bought more than one. You'd have paid a net of $250 on the ship for 2 deposits worth a total of $500 ($250 each). That's where the savings lies.

I actually paid $500, with an understanding that the deposits would be worth $1000- with restrictions. What I see on my account is two $250 deposits.

I actually paid $500, with an understanding that the deposits would be worth $1000- with restrictions. What I see on my account is two $250 deposits.

Did you pay $500 *after* the OBC credit?

Two deposits would normally cost $500 but you'd get $250 in credit, making the actual cost $250. That would result in 2 $250 deposits.

If you purchased $1000 worth of credits, your statement would show a $1000 purchase with a $500 credit and you would have 4 $250 deposits.

mc-account-ncl-page.jpg

Normally I remove the pictures from my quotes as to not clutter up the thread so I apologize for this but I noticed this cruisenext says PLUS next to it.

Mine in my account only says Cruisenext the number and then $250.

Does anyone know the difference between PLUS and regular?

Question about the CN Deposit:

We will be cruising this August and already have 2 NCL cruises booked for 2017. No plans for another cruise after that for a while.

If I knew it was possible, I would purchase some this August and try to apply it to my already booked cruise. If it was a known impossibility, I would wait until next year and consider getting some on one of my cruises then instead.

Thanks for giving any insight or personal experiences.

Have applied mine towards final payment as well (Did not use one towards a deposit)..

To answer your other question, my cruise next certs specify that I must sail by the expiration date (not book by).

Edited by AlexandNessa

Have applied mine towards final payment as well (Did not use one towards a deposit)..

To answer your other question, my cruise next certs specify that I must sail by the expiration date (not book by).

Thanks for the clarification of the expiration and sail by dates!

These cannot be applied to a suite can they? They do not cover the whole deposit for a suite, just a regular cabin?

Leah

They can be applied to a suite, I did that for my upcoming Haven sailing. However they do not count as full deposit for a suite. You have to make up the difference between the certificate and the full deposit to book the cabin.

They do sell a suite version (for a lot more) that does count as full deposit for a suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can be applied to a suite, I did that for my upcoming Haven sailing. However they do not count as full deposit for a suite. You have to make up the difference between the certificate and the full deposit to book the cabin.

They do sell a suite version (for a lot more) that does count as full deposit for a suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!!

The certificates themselves are never worth more than face value. Your understanding was not correct.

Did you buy 2 or 4?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'll probably get 2 this August and give it a try. If it doesn't work, I'll just have to use it for a future new booking.
If it doesn't work, you can also ask them for your money back. The deposits are fully refundable within 30 days of purchase (they will refund what you actually paid for them, i.e. $125 each).

That is another reason I think they will be happy to apply the deposits to your existing 2018 booking. They have nothing to gain by refusing, they only risk annoying you by making you jump through hoops and possibly losing your business altogether.

Hi, Could someone enlighten me?

I bought two Cruise Next certificates ($500 with $250 Credit) last December onboard the Gem. I had to pick a cruise date that I wish to use the certificate. I told the agent I had nothing planned so we "made up" a booking for April 2017.

Did I have to do this? I was told I could cancel one time and rebook and still keep any promotions.

Thanks for any assistance.

I had to pick a cruise date that I wish to use the certificate. I told the agent I had nothing planned so we "made up" a booking for April 2017.

Did I have to do this?

No, you did not, but it sounds like some cruise consultants tell people they have to. They probably earn extra points when people book a specific cruise on board, I don't know.

From what I have heard, the promotions they offer you for booking on board are pretty much the same as what you can get by booking at home with Free at Sea, so there's no advantage to you in booking on board. But there's no real disadvantage, either, assuming that if you cancel your booking altogether, the deposits just go back into your Latitudes account as if you had purchased them that way to begin with.

Hi, Could someone enlighten me?

I bought two Cruise Next certificates ($500 with $250 Credit) last December onboard the Gem. I had to pick a cruise date that I wish to use the certificate. I told the agent I had nothing planned so we "made up" a booking for April 2017.

Did I have to do this? I was told I could cancel one time and rebook and still keep any promotions.

Thanks for any assistance.

It was good that you did that in order to lock in the promos. In the event NCL discontinues UBP, SDP, or whatever, you can change that cruise and still keep the promos.

HOWEVER for others, that term ended a couple months ago, so you can no longer lock in promos by booking on board should you change the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you think I can keep the promos if I change my cruise within 30 days of sailing?

I'm looking to leverage a lower price that's offered after final payment are typically due and keep the promos that would disappear within 30 days of the cruise sailing.