Oasis leaving Saturday worried about storm

We are leaving this Saturday June 4, 2016 on the Oasis of the Sea going to the western Caribbean. Looking at the weather there is a tropical disturbance directly in our path. It appears that the disturbance will be going thru the Yucatan pass on Sunday or Monday and we are scheduled to arrive in Mexico Monday Morning.

Just wondering if they will try to avoid or will they go thru storm, best I can tell winds will be roughly 30+ and seas 10+

Just wondering if they will try to avoid or will they go thru storm, best I can tell winds will be roughly 30+ and seas 10+

The Captain will never put his/her crew, staff, passengers, and ship in harm's way. Having said that, they have the most up to date technology on board and will make the best decision for all involved. They will never steer the ship directly into the path of a storm and will alter course and/or itinerary. As you can see by my signature, we have survived three actual hurricanes (not just storms or depressions) while cruising and while there were rough seas, we all lived to tell about it and we were never in jeopardy for a moment. :)

IF there are any changes to be concerned about, there will be an update on the Royal Caribbean website.

Please don't worry about it and enjoy your cruise. :)

You sure?

Biker, who is waiting for the inevitable poster talking about the Feb 6 Anthem sailing.

Or the October 2011 Freedom sailing :cool::D:eek:

I wasnt gonna go there but since you did lol

looking at NOAA data it looks like 20-30 knot winds and 4-11 ft seas from Sunday to Monday... For that big of a ship that's not bad at all. May rock a little bit don't worry, we are leaving on the Freedom on Sunday and are sailing into the same area

looking at NOAA data it looks like 20-30 knot winds and 4-11 ft seas from Sunday to Monday... For that big of a ship that's not bad at all. May rock a little bit don't worry, we are leaving on the Freedom on Sunday and are sailing into the same area

Of course if there's 20-30kt winds and rain in Mexico at the time, who really wants to go there then anyway? I'd rather change itineraries and go somewhere sunny

We were on the Independence last year during Hurricane Joaquin and the captain rerouted our return to Ft. Lauderdale. The hurricane was classified as a Category 3 or 4 at that time and we were headed back from an Eastern Carribean cruise. The normal route would have taken us directly through the eye, but he rerouted our course up the coast of Cuba instead. We had one rocky night, but they kept us updated on our location and the weather the entire time. So try not to worry, it will be fine!

We are leaving on Sunday on FOS going to western Caribbean. If i hear any weather updates, I'll post here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are sailing FOS also. Last August our Freedom Eastern Carib became a Western Carib. cruise. We learned of the change the evening prior to the cruise.

The weather in the Western Carib. does not look good. Fingers crossed that it improves.

M

Cruised through Hurticane Bertha on the Monarch back in the late 90s. We were sailing out of San Juan the very day the Hurricane was scheduled to arrive. Set sail a bit late, changed our sail away route and skirted the storm the entire time. Very rocky seas - lots of motion (monarch was small compared to current ships). Never missed a port - though some excursions were canceled. Royal and the captain Tore Nervik did a great job navigating the storm.

In case anyone was wondering, we are currently on the Oasis and it was announced during the drill that the itinerary was reversed due to the storm. A letter was also placed in our rooms updating us. Some tour times were changed and some of the port times appear to have changed as well. (Cozumel was a 7am arrival and is now 8, and I believe we are in jamaica later).

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

In case anyone was wondering, we are currently on the Oasis and it was announced during the drill that the itinerary was reversed due to the storm. A letter was also placed in our rooms updating us. Some tour times were changed and some of the port times appear to have changed as well. (Cozumel was a 7am arrival and is now 8, and I believe we are in jamaica later).

Thanks for the update.

Enjoy your cruise.

Safe travels.

Thanks for the update! Enjoy!