Awkward Tipper

Juslaugh

Does anyone tip extra to the dining room staff on the last night?

I don't see that listed in any of the replies.

If they are good at their jobs, yes. If not, no. It's been about 50/50 with us.

beer take a pop of the top, nothing more. even less if it's a screw top. and i prefer to be handed my soda in the can as well. no need to pour anything. 15 percent is a lot to 'pop a top'.

Have you ever had to stock beer coolers? It's hard work, and needs to be done right to make sure the coldest beer comes out first. I work in wine education and occasionally help on the service floor. It's something everyone should have to do once in their life. It would be eye opening to most people. I worked in service full time for about 10 years, but there is no way I could go back to it. I give those who do massive credit.

Now, I will start a firestorm here. Try this.

Do not prepay gratuities and on day one tip your room steward a $20 and tell him how you like your room taken care of. I like fresh towels twice a day, new sheets every day, both a morning and evening spruce and the kids love the towel animals.

Then each day leave him another $20. On the last day of the cruise I remove all gratuities and pay the same amount in cash to the restaurant staff and the rest to the steward, and I give my kids each $10 to give to any employee who made their cruise nice. I am still tipping the full amount, even a little more, but my room steward thinks he is being tipped double until the last day and I get superior service. A little underhanded, but that is how they should already be treating everyone.

Now, I have tried it the other way. Thinking maybe I am paying for nothing here, but the one cruise I did prepay, service was dismal compared to the rest, many days I had no towel animal even after mentioning it and had to ask for towels.

Yes, I know, some people behind the scenes miss a tip this way. Sorry, that is a problem Carnival must address. When did tipping become salary for people I never see or speak to?

5 cruises on 3 different lines, never pre-tipped the steward and had everything that you think you bought.

Have you ever had to stock beer coolers? It's hard work, and needs to be done right to make sure the coldest beer comes out first. I work in wine education and occasionally help on the service floor. It's something everyone should have to do once in their life. It would be eye opening to most people. I worked in service full time for about 10 years, but there is no way I could go back to it. I give those who do massive credit.

no, I never had the luxury of working in a cooler. i've done plenty of stocking of 60 pound cases of canned vegetables and fruits in a non-cooled warehouse though. no, no one ever tipped me for that job and i'm not tipping someone else because of the prep work they have to do.

Edited by Computer Nerd

We are going on our first cruise on the Carnival Dream July 17, 2016. One of the reasons I booked a cruise was because I read where you could prepay gratuities.

You see, I am what you would call and awkward tipper. I never know how much to give to who when we are on vacation, so I just wing it and am usually way over or under the "norm" when I check with my seasoned traveler friends afterwards.

As you can imagine, checking in to a Hotel is more stressful to me than the average well-put-together tipper because I immediately start worrying about who we are supposed to tip and how much. Restaurants I do OK with, but everything else from hair professionals to maid service, I can't ever remember what I am supposed to give to who. I know, there's a app for that. I have it-still doesn't help much.

So I was so happy to have this stress removed from my vacation with the click of a check box and a couple hundred upfront dollars. Then I started reading all of the wonderful reviews on these boards and see that on top of the prepaid tip, almost all of the seasoned cruisers tip more.

Carnival's site says that all the tips other than room service are paid and drink gratuities would be added to my sign and sail card.

I don't want to seem cheap and ungrateful to the staff on the ship so I was wondering what the seasoned cruisers have to say about extra tips. Who do you tip, including excursions, why, and how much.

Thanks!:confused:

You misunderstood. You could have just had the charge naturally on your sail and sign account and had the same results. Pre paying it just unnaturally takes it out of your bank account prematurely and sits in Carnivals bank instead of yours, and they still don't turn it over to the people it's intended for till the week after your cruise.

We pay in cash so it is in their pocket while we are still on board.

5 cruises on 3 different lines, never pre-tipped the steward and had everything that you think you bought.

We pre-tipped once and had service that was OK, but certainly not outstanding. We haven't done so since, and have had service that ranged from downright poor to outstanding.

no, I never had the luxury of working in a cooler. i've done plenty of stocking of 60 pound cases of canned vegetables and fruits in a non-cooled warehouse though. no, no one ever tipped me for that job and i'm not tipping someone else because of the prep work they have to do.

And you got a significantly higher base pay. The devil is in the details.

Now, I will start a firestorm here. Try this.

Do not prepay gratuities and on day one tip your room steward a $20 and tell him how you like your room taken care of. I like fresh towels twice a day, new sheets every day, both a morning and evening spruce and the kids love the towel animals.

Then each day leave him another $20. On the last day of the cruise I remove all gratuities and pay the same amount in cash to the restaurant staff and the rest to the steward, and I give my kids each $10 to give to any employee who made their cruise nice. I am still tipping the full amount, even a little more, but my room steward thinks he is being tipped double until the last day and I get superior service. A little underhanded, but that is how they should already be treating everyone.

Now, I have tried it the other way. Thinking maybe I am paying for nothing here, but the one cruise I did prepay, service was dismal compared to the rest, many days I had no towel animal even after mentioning it and had to ask for towels.

Yes, I know, some people behind the scenes miss a tip this way. Sorry, that is a problem Carnival must address. When did tipping become salary for people I never see or speak to?

This does nothing. It doesn't suddenly take a less than adequate employee start working better, not would it affect an over the top employee. They will not use a superior cleanser in your bathroom tiles, pull out the superior hover, or use the plush towels to make your animals. The will work at the same rate their abilities allow them to.

And never worry about behind the scene people. Not only don't they deserve tips because they are already salaried employees, they don't even receive them. It's all a rouse.

there, fixed it for you. ;)

Thank you - you are correct. I was really referring to things like Room Service and Porters but thanks for adding. Some people here sure do give outrageous tips and I wanted to let the OP know that whatever they wanted to do was OK.

You misunderstood. You could have just had the charge naturally on your sail and sign account and had the same results. Pre paying it just unnaturally takes it out of your bank account prematurely and sits in Carnivals bank instead of yours, and they still don't turn it over to the people it's intended for till the week after your cruise.

We pay in cash so it is in their pocket while we are still on board.

Is there a natural way to take money out of your bank account? :D

Edited by TerReuv

And you got a significantly higher base pay. The devil is in the details.

if you think less than 10 dollars an hour is significantly higher pay than the folks working the bar at carnival or the guys on your service floor must be making about 1 or 2 dollars an hour. or could it be that you have no idea what others earn for their job and didn't bother to ask before making such a quip. yes, the devil is in the details and i would suggest you find out those details before making such outlandish statements.

of course, what you think the bar folks should be earning is immaterial. even though i don't believe popping the top of a beer is even close to what they make in the 15 percent gratuity, i have never removed it. if they are unhappy with that or i get slow service because i don't tip above that then a call to there supervisor will be my next move.

Edited by Computer Nerd

Thank you - you are correct. I was really referring to things like Room Service and Porters but thanks for adding. Some people here sure do give outrageous tips and I wanted to let the OP know that whatever they wanted to do was OK.

spot on. :)

if you think less than 10 dollars an hour is significantly higher pay than the folks working the bar at carnival or the guys on your service floor must be making about 1 or 2 dollars an hour. or could it be that you have no idea what others earn for their job and didn't bother to ask before making such a quip. yes, the devil is in the details and i would suggest you find out those details before making such outlandish statements.

of course, what you think the bar folks should be earning is immaterial. even though i don't believe popping the top of a beer is even close to what they make in the 15 percent gratuity, i have never removed it. if they are unhappy with that or i get slow service because i don't tip above that then a call to there supervisor will be my next move.

The base pay is $5.03/hour. I know what they make, it seems you haven't a clue. In many states the base wage for servers is only $2.13/hr. It's unfortunate that some people begrudge the people that make their evening out or holiday great for a lousy $.70 cents. It must be hard going through life with ones trousers so tight.

Outrageous? I don't think. Unless I were in a situation where tipping is not customary, I would rather leave "too much" than not enough.

Cb is right. One thing I also tip for is room service. It's just my husband and I so I tip $3 per room service visit. When the room service arrives, l'm asked to sign a receipt for it. On that receipt I'll write in the $3.

I tip in cash and on the slip of paper I sign my name and where it says "tip" I write paid in cash. That's so no amount can be written in there and then I have to go to guests services to have it straightened out. I had to do that one time.

The base pay is $5.03/hour. I know what they make, it seems you haven't a clue. In many states the base wage for servers is only $2.13/hr. It's unfortunate that some people begrudge the people that make their evening out or holiday great for a lousy $.70 cents. It must be hard going through life with ones trousers so tight.

it must be hard going through life not being able to control everyone else's hard earned money. :rolleyes:

if my pants are so tight then the problem is with carnival and maybe they should increase the standard tip percentage as that is what i pay and not a penny less or a penny more. or maybe the problem is that you were so quick to start throwing mud that you didn't even take the time to read my post.

don't forget to wash your hands after slinging that mud. :p

Edited by Computer Nerd

I tip in cash and on the slip of paper I sign my name and where it says "tip" I write paid in cash. That's so no amount can be written in there and then I have to go to guests services to have it straightened out. I had to do that one time.

So I'm expected to tip people that are thieves now.

If anyone wrote in a tip on one of my slips, I'd want them prosecuted, not even just sacked.

Some people tip in homemade jams, jellies, cakes, cookies, and crocheted soda koozies. :eek: Can you imagine? I've seen that posted here. Just bring good old American $1s and $5s for room service and your luggage porters and you'll be just fine.

I am a seasoned cruiser and I do not tip more. I keep our room very neat and we are not demanding cruisers. We enjoy speaking to the staff and employees and hearing their stories. Our room steward always jokes it is as neat as he leaves it. Additionally, I feel very strongly that the cruise lines should give the staff a fair wage that is at least the minimum wage in the US. It is a poor business model that the cruise lines have developed whereby these corporations expect the customer to effectively pay the salary of the crew.

If you happen to be on a ship and see 2 women with broad smiles on their faces walking around with envelopes (they have them at guest services) saying "thank you for having us!" to absolutely every crew member we see, and slipping said envelopes to the guy who made our Mongolian Wok lunches especially delicious (and with a smile), our favorite omlete maker who agreed to "egg whites only & no oil or spray please" - those envelopes hold $10 and a handwritten thank you for making our cruise even more special note. That "little" something is hardly noticeable for us, and a day-maker for them!

Excursions are subjective tip-wise. We've had wonderful excursions with little to no interaction from guides, we will tip 15% of the excursion. We have had excursions where we felt we were visiting an old friend who was showing us/taking us someplace special, we will tip 25-50% - a couple of bucks to the driver (he/she works hard to keep us safe) - and always (always!) a hearty "thank you for having us!"

Room service, we order fruit, yogurt, coffee for 2, we tip $2 each time

Our steward always receives an additional $10-25 depending on many factors

Definitely the porter who takes your bag(s) at the port. Don't be stingy here! This person can lose or misdirect your luggage faster than you can pull a $5 bill out of your wallet. We tip $10 for 2 bags.

We travel with about $300 cash in all small bills.

Definitely the porter who takes your bag(s) at the port. Don't be stingy here! This person can lose or misdirect your luggage faster than you can pull a $5 bill out of your wallet.

Old myth. They put the bags on the carriers right behind them. Then the carriers get wheeled away to behind the terminal.

Stevedores then load the carriers on to the ship.

I tip the porters for their physical efforts after they place the bags on the carrier not because I am paying a ransom so my bags don't go missing.

This does nothing. It doesn't suddenly take a less than adequate employee start working better, not would it affect an over the top employee. They will not use a superior cleanser in your bathroom tiles, pull out the superior hover, or use the plush towels to make your animals. The will work at the same rate their abilities allow them to.

And never worry about behind the scene people. Not only don't they deserve tips because they are already salaried employees, they don't even receive them. It's all a rouse.

That's a lie. No way Carnival can say how the tips are broken down and not follow through. The auditors would be all over that in a heartbeat.

That's a lie. No way Carnival can say how the tips are broken down and not follow through. The auditors would be all over that in a heartbeat.

They can do whatever they want with the money:confused: