RCCL Staff training and Empress

This is a copy of a post I sent in another thread, but I am wondering if anyone else might have any insights.

The more I hear about the issues with the Empress, it seems to me that most of the problems stem from keeping the Pullmantur crew on for now a US based clientele. The menus just seem so...wrong. Raisins as toppings for ice cream? Not willing to chop up a tomato and throw it in the omelette? Instead of slices of swiss, how about shredded cheddar or monterey jack for tacos? So strange.

The MDR with so many items "not available" also sounds like the kitchen staff are unable or unwilling to cook too many things, which, of course, is ridiculous. But maybe this is how they operated for years on Pullmantur.

The presentation of the food on the buffet looks worse than almost any buffet I have ever seen, and I am not comparing it to the Easter buffet at the Willard here in DC. I'm talking worse than the cafeteria food in my kids DC Public Schools, and believe me, that's bad.

The info trickling out about the bartenders ignoring people or kids with the soda cups, 15-20 min waits for a drink make me question if it's even worth getting the drink packages at this point. I was going to get my husband and me the Ultimate, and the kids the Royal Replenish, total it's about $800. I'm willing to pay it, but not if we can't get a drink when we want it.

So does anyone know if the staff of the Empress is getting any training in how to be a RC employee and the chefs some kind of counseling in US cruise food expectations, combinations and presentation? I would have thought this was happening during the long 3 month dry dock, but I guess they just sent everyone home and brought them back to the Empress with barely any training, so they are operating as if they were still with Pullmantur.

Getting ready to write yet another email to all RC VPs

Actually I consider it being proactive. I'd rather give RC execs a chance to correct rather than waiting to get on the ship and finding that no one was given an opportunity to improve.

I also would like to know about the staff training. It is always sad when staff is set up to fail. It's not entirely their fault. This is what several people who have been on the empress in recent weeks have reported.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually I consider it being proactive. I'd rather give RC execs a chance to correct rather than waiting to get on the ship and finding that no one was given an opportunity to improve.

I also would like to know about the staff training. It is always sad when staff is set up to fail. It's not entirely their fault. This is what several people who have bseen on the empress in recent weeks have reported.

Then I would advise you to be in contact with rci as cc or its posters don't don't own or run the cruise line. Let us know how you make out

I didn't read your post as a "pre-complaint", I read it as a Royal customer who likes the brand and is just wondering, like I am, what in the world seems to be wrong with this ship and her crew.

If all the issues were mechanical it would be easy to figure out, she's and old ship and really needed even longer in dry dock. I could even understand the food issues the first sailing. The kitchens were all replaced and it probably took them to the last minute to get everything done, which delayed food, etc.

By now though, especially with it being such a small ship and it having sailed a few cruises, the food quantity issue should be resolved. But maybe this is a staff issue too, and they are just not bothering to cook the food. Or maybe this all comes back to the AC issues. We all know about the public areas with little to no AC, how many crew areas have none. Possibly the kitchen staff is refusing to work as hard in the hot kitchens with no where to go with AC for periodic breaks.

With Cuba coming this little ship could be a cash cow with all the US citizens wanting to visit, but no body is going to pay a premium for a destination on a ship with a reputation of lacking food and basic comfort.

I also would like to know about the staff training. It is always sad when staff is set up to fail. It's not entirely their fault. This is what several people who have been on the empress in recent weeks have reported.

When your actually ON the ship and you have issues, ok. What your doing here is worthless and a waste of time and energy......K.O.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thetrail why do you even care what I do with my time? I am trying to get information while your post serves only to insult another.

Thank you to SheehanDJ for responding in a civil and helpful way. I had not thought about lingering a/c issues that would make working in a hot kitchen unbearable. That's a really good point.

I was on the June 2nd sailing, and while I noticed some odd things, I wasn't concerned about the quality of food, or the staff, or the offerings. My waiter at dinner was with Empress for 13 years, even back when it was still with Royal. His service was just fine. Our meals were good.

We were on a four night itinerary, and ate in the MDR every night. The only things not available were French onion soup on the first night which was replaced with escargot. The soup was available every other night. On the last night, they had run out of asparagus. GASP :eek: And on the last night they did not have the baked Alaska that was listed on the menu. They replaced it with coconut layer cake. That one was strange since they had ice cream that night. The waiter even joked the only difference is the missing merengue. Maybe they ran out of eggs? LOL

As for the tacos, yes shredded cheese would have been nice, but they had plenty of guacamole, salsa, and sour cream. As for the ice cream toppings, yes they were odd. But I was happy they had the hand scooped ice cream at all. They also offered sugar cones, so I'd get scoops of ice cream in a bowl and put a cone on top, then crush the cone into the ice cream. Yummy!

Remember, problems happen on all ships, not just Empress. I've sat through two hour dinners on Royal Caribbean ships before. On a previous RC ship (Explorer or Freedom), I ordered Mexican tortilla soup and found a rubber band in it. :eek: On another RC ship (Freedom or Oasis), I ordered the gnocchi and got a bowl of shell pasta. Sure, it looks similar, but they didn't fool me. :rolleyes:

I never went to the bars, so I can't comment on wait times. The Windjammer had other beverages besides water. They always had lemonade, and a dark beverage (probably iced tea?). They also had a variety of juices that changed throughout the cruise. One day was apple juice, another day was fruit punch, and others I can't remember now. It also seemed that every day they offered "sugar free mango flavored water". Plus coffee, packets of tea, and packets of hot cocoa.

I'm sure lots of people had lots of problems on this ship, but I also truly believe that lots of people had lots of fun, like my husband and I.

Edited by CallieS

Thanks Callie for your input. It's good to hear that there are long time RCL staff who are helping. I know that at least one person on board now had learned that a lot of the staff was Pullmantur.

And I do know that not every cruise or any vacation is perfect and I do appreciate your first hand accounts. So long as we can get food without two hour waits and make good use of the bars for cocktails we will be happy.

Thanks Callie for your input. It's good to hear that there are long time RCL staff who are helping. I know that at least one person on board now had learned that a lot of the staff was Pullmantur.

And I do know that not every cruise or any vacation is perfect and I do appreciate your first hand accounts. So long as we can get food without two hour waits and make good use of the bars for cocktails we will be happy.

I just want to clarify that the two hour dinners I'm referring to, mean that the entire dinner process was two hours. We didn't have to wait two hours to get food. They bring you to your table, offer you drinks, bread and a menu right away. Then they take your order. Depending on how many courses you order, that's where the time adds up. My family usually orders four courses. Two appetizers, entrée, and dessert. I've seen some tables near us just order one appetizer and entrée. They are in and out much faster. On any cruise, the longest I've waited for the first appetizer was maybe twenty minutes from the time I sat down. But by then you should have received bread to help pass the time. :)

Our very good, previously RCI waiter on the Empress was not there on Day 3. His assistant said he was in Medical because "he got too hot". I thought at the time that his cabin must have been one with no a/c. To go from a hot cabin to a hot galley must be even worse, so I think your theory of kitchen staff being absent is plausible.

Citymom92, I've been reading your posts and your anxiety is palpable, and for good reason. I feel for you. I'm sure if you could cancel or change ships you would do so in a heartbeat. It seems that you are looking for a way to relieve the anxiety. I just wonder at this point whether it is time to take a deep breath and step away from CC until your cruise begins (or maybe even until it ends), and focus on how to make the most of the voyage knowing what you can and can't control. It is hard for any of us to be in your shoes, but it seems like all we can do here is feed your anxiety? There are still too many variables with Empress to really know how things will turn out for you and your family.

Think of it this way: Empress will be the baseline against which you will compare all other cruises (if you decide to give it another chance). Quite possibly it can only get better. Obviously cruising isn't all bad since it is so popular. But it isn't for everyone either. I can tell you neither my wife nor I had much interest in cruising until we gave it a try, and it turns out we love it (at least the mega-ships). But I am also sure if Empress was our first cruise, based on half of what I have read here, my wife would never want to try it again. Me, I would probably be very hesitant to spend the money to give it a second chance.

As far as the drink packages, and this is just my opinion, but if I were you I would skip them. For the most part you will break even at best if you are moderate drinkers and all goes well at the bars. But rather than spending the money up front and possibly being even more disappointed, I would just pay as you go on the drinks.

Citymom92, I've been reading your posts and your anxiety is palpable, and for good reason. I feel for you. I'm sure if you could cancel or change ships you would do so in a heartbeat. It seems that you are looking for a way to relieve the anxiety. I just wonder at this point whether it is time to take a deep breath and step away from CC until your cruise begins (or maybe even until it ends), and focus on how to make the most of the voyage knowing what you can and can't control. It is hard for any of us to be in your shoes, but it seems like all we can do here is feed your anxiety? There are still too many variables with Empress to really know how things will turn out for you and your family.

Think of it this way: Empress will be the baseline against which you will compare all other cruises (if you decide to give it another chance). Quite possibly it can only get better. Obviously cruising isn't all bad since it is so popular. But it isn't for everyone either. I can tell you neither my wife nor I had much interest in cruising until we gave it a try, and it turns out we love it (at least the mega-ships). But I am also sure if Empress was our first cruise, based on half of what I have read here, my wife would never want to try it again. Me, I would probably be very hesitant to spend the money to give it a second chance.

As far as the drink packages, and this is just my opinion, but if I were you I would skip them. For the most part you will break even at best if you are moderate drinkers and all goes well at the bars. But rather than spending the money up front and possibly being even more disappointed, I would just pay as you go on the drinks.

Best Post of the Day.

Thetrail why do you even care what I do with my time? I am trying to get information while your post serves only to insult another.

Thank you to SheehanDJ for responding in a civil and helpful way. I had not thought about lingering a/c issues that would make working in a hot kitchen unbearable. That's a really good point.

Some people cannot handle that this ship is a floating disaster. Ignore those people. You have every right in the world to be concerned. This ship is a joke and total disgrace to the Royal Caribbean brand right now. Whether or not they can fix things remains to be seen.

Edited by ryano

Pratique I appreciate your post very much and that is definitely very good advice. But my inclination is to learn what I can to perhaps lower expectations and/or see if we can bring attention to some outstanding issues and see if they can get fixed, not just for us, but for those sailing before and after.

I have been talking to a VP at Royal and they have been very appreciative and concerned, saying that they had no indication that anything was wrong. I find that hard to believe, but maybe there is a buffer between the upper management and details of issues have been kept from them. One passenger noted that on the first day of the third cruise many execs were in the ship with IPads typing up problems. I hope that my conversations were what prompted some action, but maybe not. Either way, it's fine so long as each cruise gets better.

I will try to take a break from CC though. Just to save me a few grey hairs!

When your actually ON the ship and you have issues, ok. What your doing here is worthless and a waste of time and energy......K.O.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seems like your post is worthless and a waste of time. Unwad your panties.

Edited by ctsharpie05

And yet you were interested enough to read and comment. :rolleyes:

Say it with me "GIVE ME AN R..."

Pratique I appreciate your post very much and that is definitely very good advice. But my inclination is to learn what I can to perhaps lower expectations and/or see if we can bring attention to some outstanding issues and see if they can get fixed, not just for us, but for those sailing before and after.

I have been talking to a VP at Royal and they have been very appreciative and concerned, saying that they had no indication that anything was wrong. I find that hard to believe, but maybe there is a buffer between the upper management and details of issues have been kept from them. One passenger noted that on the first day of the third cruise many execs were in the ship with IPads typing up problems. I hope that my conversations were what prompted some action, but maybe not. Either way, it's fine so long as each cruise gets better.

I will try to take a break from CC though. Just to save me a few grey hairs!

I look forward to hearing all about your cruise the good and the bad, but hoping for the best!

I honestly don't understand why some on here seem to get angry at negative review or complaints. It's almost as if you are criticizing their family. I am going on Empress on June 16. I will make the best of it. My point is, however, that when going on a cruise one should not be expected to "Just make the best of it." When I go on a cruise I expect good food, availability of activities and to be able to go to a bar and get a drink in a reasonable amount of time. If the cruise was free, I as well as most would not complain or worry. Since it is not free, people will complain and worry.

I look forward to hearing all about your cruise the good and the bad, but hoping for the best!

Yes, I'll be sure to post. I am sure it will ultimately be okay, but I am still hoping for better than okay.

To the OP: I appreciate what you are trying to do. Good job standing up for yourself. Here's hoping that we both have great cruises!

Thank you so much! Yes good luck to you- I'll be interested to hear what you think!

i honestly don't understand why some on here seem to get angry at negative review or complaints. It's almost as if you are criticizing their family. I am going on empress on june 16. I will make the best of it. My point is, however, that when going on a cruise one should not be expected to "just make the best of it." when i go on a cruise i expect good food, availability of activities and to be able to go to a bar and get a drink in a reasonable amount of time. If the cruise was free, i as well as most would not complain or worry. Since it is not free, people will complain and worry.

exactly this