Sushi on Five Replaces Bistro on Five Across Celebrity Cruises Fleet

LauraS

Since complimentary sushi was so popular in the Oceanview, I have to think people's dislike for Sushi on 5 isn't so much the type of food being served, but the fact it now comes at an extra cost.

Agree 100 % .

On Solstice now. Had lunch at Sushi on5 and it was very good Bu at $37 for lunch, sorry, not going back. It was not busy for the 10 days either at lu ch or dinner. But, then, neither was Bistro on 5. Celebrity can't seem to figure out this space.
Taking away free (although inferior) sushi and replacing it with better (although not sure how much better) product sounds like a good idea mainly to the suits . I wouldn't consider $40 for all you wish to be a deal . Perhaps with a 30% discount . Having to offer "deals" on a new idea smacks of desperation . Edited by richstowe

• 2 weeks later...

We returned this week from a cruise aboard the Equinox. We dined in all of the specialty restaurants as well as Blu, Luminae and Oceanview cafe. Sushi on 5 was probably the overall favorite of the four of us and I rarely eat sushi. I loved the hotpots, lobster wontons and kobe beef slider as well as several of the rolls. My husband, who eats in a lot of sushi restaurants while traveling for work said the sashimi was excellent. We had a specialty dining package and Son5 was included. The manager also gave us a 30% off coupon for our second visit. Had we been aboard one more day we would have fit in a third visit.

you paid for it in your package...for others it is strictly a la carte.

Many do not like sushi or are allergic to fish..we are now stuck with the burger grill for lunch or the slow as molasses MDR, unless they vary the porch fishy menu or the buffet which we try to avoid if possible on cruise ships...

B on 5 will be missed by us!

Sushi is very cheap in Australia so $40 USD for a sushi meal is very expensive. I really don't like seafood or noodles etc so with the removal of the sushi from the buffet it is a disappointment for my partner who loves sushi.

you paid for it in your package...for others it is strictly a la carte.

Many do not like sushi or are allergic to fish..we are now stuck with the burger grill for lunch or the slow as molasses MDR, unless they vary the porch fishy menu or the buffet which we try to avoid if possible on cruise ships...

B on 5 will be missed by us!

The name Sushi on 5 is misleading. Many meat dishes on the menu, from hot pots to beef sliders.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The name Sushi on 5 is misleading. Many meat dishes on the menu, from hot pots to beef sliders.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we've seen the menu

other items not very appealing,....and limited. I know it's popular but not for us...wish it was Silk Harvest instead! That menu has something for everyone and for now not a la carte. We won't starve but will have a new lunch strategy

But I wouldn't want to pay a cover charge for beef sliders. The cost is in the seafoods which are much more expensive to source.

Surely X want their venues to be busy and please their passengers? Bistro on 5 on Eclipse and now Sushi on 5 was and now is pretty much wasted space. Given they need very fresh fish for sushi the wastage costs must wipe out any revenue currently. On our two weeks on Eclipse ( the first sailing since SO5 was introduced) we only saw a handful of officers eat there, no passengers. The Gastrobar idea was minimalised so much on Eclipse that I don't understand why they keep it. It's in the passport bar, only on sea days and offered between 3 and 7. Sorry between 3 and 7? Really who wants to eat their lunch or dinner between those times. It's like someone in head office decides on what they think is a good idea but they don't seek opinion, introduce it then cannot get rid of it so narrow the hours of operation to then say ' we tried but it wasn't popular'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surely X want their venues to be busy and please their passengers? Bistro on 5 on Eclipse and now Sushi on 5 was and now is pretty much wasted space. Given they need very fresh fish for sushi the wastage costs must wipe out any revenue currently. On our two weeks on Eclipse ( the first sailing since SO5 was introduced) we only saw a handful of officers eat there, no passengers. The Gastrobar idea was minimalised so much on Eclipse that I don't understand why they keep it. It's in the passport bar, only on sea days and offered between 3 and 7. Sorry between 3 and 7? Really who wants to eat their lunch or dinner between those times. It's like someone in head office decides on what they think is a good idea but they don't seek opinion, introduce it then cannot get rid of it so narrow the hours of operation to then say ' we tried but it wasn't popular'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The addition of the cooler with the expanded beer selection in the Passport bar is the important part for me. In January I never observed anyone eating in the Passport bar area.

I am surprised concerning your Sushi on 5 comment. It was not yet converted when we were on the Eclipse in January. I have read comments from others that say it is busier that the previous Bristo on 5. I will find out on the Reflection in a couple weeks. I cannot imagine that it would be less busy. Except for the embarkation day I have never seen many people in the Bristo on 5.

I am really looking forward to trying the new one for the Sashimi and other items.

you are welcome Krista

My wife is more of a sushi fan,but I really enjoyed it!! we tried just about all of sushi varieties,and liked them all...best quality sushi I have had..

which ship are you going on?

Thanks so much for the firsthand information. We're sailing Reflection in November and looking forward to the new Sushi on Five. We avoided the Bistro on Five as it looked pretty useless to us when we sailed Silhouette in March. Really looking forward to sampling this new space!

I unerstand the seafood allergies, but do any of you who eat beef, lamb and pork give a second thought to those of us that don't?

Variety is the spice of life, and this is just part of the variety. Those of us who like/love sushi, and eat seafood, will give it a whirl, and are happy to have another venue.

Its success/failure will be less about whether it makes a lot of money, but more about what are the current "must have" features on a ship. When Vegan food becomes more common, I'm sure that there will be an experiment with a 'Grains and legumes" cuisine, if it is "on trend."

The best example I can give is the 'Flash Mob' that the crew did several years ago on a ship. It was clearly the death knell for flash mobs in greater society, but was "hip" in cruiser terms. The ship is only so big, and the cruise line will always try something "Fresh" and "New" to attract new passengers and keep long-time cruisers coming back.

We will try- I like Sushi, and Ed likes Kobe Beef Sliders, but it won't be the focus of our trip. We'll tolerate the art auctions, even though we have zero interest, and we'll somehow survive.

I'm sure all of you will survive for the 18 months that Sushi on Five is there. :D

Andrew