Sushi on Five Replaces Bistro on Five Across Celebrity Cruises Fleet

LauraS

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] this is so true for so many!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For my wife, if she eats shellfish...she basically dies. As to other raw fish, she has been warned not to.

I can't wait for So5! I looked at the menu and pics and found many items I'd like to try! My wife "doesn't like sushi" (translation: refuses to try it), and she found many things on the menu she'd like to try.

We've tried the crepes and found them lacking. When they changed and added the daily menu we found those items to be hit or miss.

From most replies to this thread it seems that many don't like the change and I understand, but for us, we look forward to the change!

I'm honestly curious about the other 'many' things on the menu she'd like to try. We really looked hard to try to find some non-sushi items but saw only a few noodle dishes that did not sound very appetizing to us. Did I miss something? I would like to have another option on M class, as two of my next three cruises are on Infinity. (and for the record, have tried sushi and do not like it:))

I'm honestly curious about the other 'many' things on the menu she'd like to try. We really looked hard to try to find some non-sushi items but saw only a few noodle dishes that did not sound very appetizing to us. Did I miss something? I would like to have another option on M class, as two of my next three cruises are on Infinity. (and for the record, have tried sushi and do not like it:))

The two my wife said she would try are the beef sliders and the beef and pork noodle dishes.

I don't like sushi either if you are referring to raw fish. I do like California rolls, but that is cooked fake crab.

I have found that you need to like things they can't change/discontinue. I like the breeze, shade, view of water-wake and beer. Hard for me to be disappointed on a cruise. For food, I like red wine, bread and butter. Anything else is a bonus. :)

Do I assume they will stop doing sushi at 6 in the oceanview?

You can pretty much guarantee it. Every ship that has added a pay-sushi restaurant has cut out any free sushi in the buffet areas, no matter the line. It's the kiss-of-death to any other sushi

Sushi seems to be very polarizing. Most people either like it or hate it. My husband likes it and I don't. It would be great if X could find a happy medium. Perhaps a specialty restaurant similar to Tamirand on HAL. It pleases everyone by serving sushi, beef, chicken, and vegetarian dishes. Tamirand is excellent. If X requires you to eat in Sushi on 5 with a specialty dining package we won't be purchasing one again.

I'm amazed how many people are willing to spend extra for a meal on a cruise. I just never understood it. And yea, $10 for Bistro is not much but it wasn't that special either - hence how empty it was. What confuses me is that it was empty when they charged $5 so they raised the price. ????

Sushi seems to be very polarizing. Most people either like it or hate it. My husband likes it and I don't. It would be great if X could find a happy medium. Perhaps a specialty restaurant similar to Tamirand on HAL. It pleases everyone by serving sushi, beef, chicken, and vegetarian dishes. Tamirand is excellent. If X requires you to eat in Sushi on 5 with a specialty dining package we won't be purchasing one again.

I'm with you 81Zoomie....I would rather starve than put cooked fish, let alone raw fish, in my mouth and DH loves it (cooked). But a previous poster said there were other Asian foods like beef, chicken and vegetarian that were quite good (according to pp)...so I might walk by and take a look BUT if I even smell fish I'm done. :eek:

Dh is highly allergic to many fish items, esp shellfish...

i liked the buffet sushi for a quick bite where dh could get something he could

eat., .. S on 5 not an option..even if willing to pay the a la carte tab...

With B on 5 gone, we have lost one of our lunch spots,,,they had great soups....

Dh is highly allergic to many fish items, esp shellfish...

i liked the buffet sushi for a quick bite where dh could get something he could

eat., .. S on 5 not an option..even if willing to pay the a la carte tab...

With B on 5 gone, we have lost one of our lunch spots,,,they had great soups....

Yes, they did have great soups. My two favorites were the butternut squash and the potato. Somehow clear broth with a few noodles just doesn't sound the same.

Our biggest issue with Sushi on Five on Millie - if you want to buy a specialty restaurant package you must eat at this restaurant. For example, if you want to buy the 3 restaurant package, you eat once at all three restaurants. Why is this an issue? Two big reasons. First, there is very little available on the menu that is not sushi. If you do not like Sushi you are pretty much out of luck (there are a couple of unappealing sounding noodle dishes and that's it besides sushi). Second, I don't see how this can be considered "specialty" other than that you have to pay for it. It is no fancier than Bistro on Five was. Would you consider Bistro on Five comparable to Tuscan Grille?!?! I know I wouldn't. This is just wrong wrong wrong IMHO. We were able to negotiate a small discount with the Tuscan maître d' by booking two dinners at Tuscan and one at Qsine, but it was less of a savings than the 3 restaurant package would have been. Was not happy at all with this as we were counting on using some of our generous OBC for specialty restaurants rather than shore excursions or outrageously priced photographs or the like.:(

Wow ... I'm surprised they've added Sushi on 5 to the specialty restaurant packages. My guess (and only a guess) is that by doing so Celebrity will be able to fill up the place a little easier than they could by forcing those buying packages to dine there. Also, by the look of the a la carte pricing, it wouldn't take much to run up a tab of $40-$50 per person at dinner, which puts you in the same league as their other specialty restaurants. I agree, if you don't want Sushi on 5 as part of your specialty restaurant package, barter for your meal in those restaurants you want to dine in. The barter system seems to be alive and well on =X=.

Two questions......

1. Now that it's a part of the specialty restaurant packages, do people in Royal Suites and Penthouses dine there complimentary?

2. Are the drinks in Sushi on 5 covered under the drink packages?

Does anyone know if Sushi on Five will be included in the unlimited complimentary specialty dining that we get in the Royal and above suites?

Onboard Millennium last month.

Sushi on 5 WAS included in the ultimate dining package sold to anyone,

but NOT the package given to the top suites - per the MCC !!!

MCC? Michaels Club Concierge?

And for the bucks spent on a suite, that seems ridiculous that it wouldn't be included. :mad:

That's crazy! So someone on a RS or PS can dine all they want in Tuscan and/or Qsine, but not Sushi on 5.

Ridiculous! :eek:

I agree with you hcat. It was a nice place for a quiet yummy lunch. Apparently not everyone felt the same so it's too bad. I'm sure they've done much research and people prefer sushi. Oh well. Now I have to remember this when booking and making decisions. It was always my alternative to the dining room or buffet for lunch and breakfast.

We were in an RS on Eclipse last year and could dine in Bistro as much as we liked on the unlimited specialty so it doesn't make sense that they would rebrand the restaurant and then remove that perk. Another case of different rules on different ships depending on who you talk to?

I agree with you hcat. It was a nice place for a quiet yummy lunch. Apparently not everyone felt the same so it's too bad. I'm sure they've done much research and people prefer sushi. Oh well. Now I have to remember this when booking and making decisions. It was always my alternative to the dining room or buffet for lunch and breakfast.
!!

Apparently they didn't ask any of us for an opinion, or it would still be the same Bistro on 5. :D

Our alternative to the MDR and buffet for lunch and breakfast is the Spa Cafe, which has egg white omelets made to order; yogurt parfaits; salads and other healthy or just light selections....and I'm probably going to be sorry I told everyone! :D

Yes, they did have great soups. My two favorites were the butternut squash and the potato. Somehow clear broth with a few noodles just doesn't sound the same.

On Reflection on time, we really liked the Celery soup.. The B on 5 chef from Jamaica shared recipe with dh...we served it at Thanksgiving dinner..folks were asking for seconds and thirds and sort of slurping their bowls..bad manners but great soup

Sorry to see this venue go...wish they kept trying to find the right concept...i thought if they installed a better kitchen it could have been a demonstration or cook with the chef venue!.. perfect size and space...we had a great time at a crepe demo there ...

Edited by hcat

Yup...lunch and brunch for us elsewhere now!

Count us out of Sushi on Five. Definitely on something we would consider paying extra for; & probably wouldn't eat there even if it were free.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Rich! I do not eat cooked fish, why on earth would I try it raw!!! And here we are living on LI, where fishing is a way of life. :D