NYC to Baltimore. - best way to join the cruise

We are staying in NYC for a few days before our cruise in July.

I am looking for the best way of making the trip for a family of 4......

All suggestions gratefully received..........

Do Royal run transportation? Is a rental car best and if so which rental company is closest to the port?

Thanks for any help you can provide. We are travelling from UK.

We are staying in NYC for a few days before our cruise in July.

I am looking for the best way of making the trip for a family of 4......

All suggestions gratefully received..........

Do Royal run transportation? Is a rental car best and if so which rental company is closest to the port?

Thanks for any help you can provide. We are travelling from UK.

New York to Baltimore is approx. 200 miles and will take about 4 hours,

most of the rental car's are returned to the airport which is about 30-45 mins from the port.

Avis does have a rental office at the Baltimore Harbor Hotel, in downtown Baltimore.

If you plan on driving you may want to look into arriving the day before the cruise,

and stay in a nearby hotel, and take a shuttle or taxi to the port

Edited by Mac303

Ignore the earlier post. Close is relative, as is "best".

Where are you staying in NYC? Will you be leaving from Manhattan? Are you leaving the day of your cruise?

If you're staying in Manhattan, you have choices. The "easiest" although likely not the least expensive, would be to take Amtrak from NYC Penn Station to Baltimore Penn Station, and a cab to the port. Not knowing your dates, it's hard to say what that will cost. The "saver" fares on the NE Regional are likely sold out for July. If you're going day of cruise, I'd seriously consider the Acela Express; it's not that much faster, but it's the least likely train to be delayed or cancelled. If cost appears reasonable to you, this would be my first choice. About 3 hours to Baltimore Penn.

You can catch a flight from LGA to BWI and a cab to the port. The flight "can" be less expensive than the train, but you have to get to LGA, which adds time and cost.

Last, and probably least preferable, you can rent a car and drive down the Jersey Turnpike and I-95 during the peak summer season. 4-12 hours, depending on phase of moon, earth wobble, random sunspot activity, and random unplanned construction. Don't do this day of cruise!

If you decide to go Amtrak, go to the departure "lounge" at NY Penn and ask for a Red Cap. They'll take you down early, with your bags, before the track is announced. This will be the best $5-10 (tip) you'll spend on your trip...

BTW, this question is probably better asked on the East Coast board, and it may well be moved there.

Edited by markeb

We took the train from Connecticut four or five years ago it was a 6 Hour ride and it was very reasonably priced so you're probably looking at a four hour trip I think that's the best way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by KPfromCT

I did Baltimore to NYC last week was effortless boarded at the Amtrak at Bwi airport we stayed there post cruise and got off at penn station NYC 3 hrs and stress free was $100 for 2 book early on line much cheaper would recommend it as a form of travel

Thank you all. Your advice is fantastic........and we have booked Amtrak!

Only regional trains available but we've left time for delays.........

Didn't fancy a 12 hour turnpike nightmare as we were considering car rental as our first choice before your messages.

We are staying in the Warwick in Manhattan so not too far from NY Penn!

Thanks again......

Who cares, that's not what was asked......K.O.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How is she going to have over 75k posts if she stops making inane and unrelated, unhelpful comments on every thread??? lol

Edited by DonnaK

I hope you booked the train for the day before the cruise.

As someone who had to Amtrak it between Washington,DC/Baltimore to NYC on a frequent basis, my on time arrival rate was fairly low. I usually added on two hours to the expected arrival time.

My favorite excuse that came over the PA system after sitting on the track for a half hour was that the delay was due to the crew having to shoot a "dragon" on the tracks. I never figured out what that meant.

And Markeb. The redcap tip is most welcome!

Making the sweeping assumption you've never taken Amtrak out of Penn Station...

Penn Station has a huge arrivals/departure "hall", basically a very large standing area, with two very large departure boards in the center. On one side of this hall is a men's room, the other a lady's. On the side with the men's room is a waiting area posted for Amtrak (and maybe Jersey Transit) customers. As you enter that area, there will be a manned counter. The person at that counter (really just a big desk) can order a redcap.

If by some chance you are a member of the United Club (with your physical card), you can use the Acela Lounge on the opposite corner of the hall, where they can also order a redcap. Star Alliance Gold won't get you in.

I hope you booked the train for the day before the cruise.

As someone who had to Amtrak it between Washington,DC/Baltimore to NYC on a frequent basis, my on time arrival rate was fairly low. I usually added on two hours to the expected arrival time.

My favorite excuse that came over the PA system after sitting on the track for a half hour was that the delay was due to the crew having to shoot a "dragon" on the tracks. I never figured out what that meant.

Oops.....no. But we booked the 8am train.......not too bothered about early boarding but I must admit you have me a little worried!

fingers crossed

Making the sweeping assumption you've never taken Amtrak out of Penn Station...

Penn Station has a huge arrivals/departure "hall", basically a very large standing area, with two very large departure boards in the center. On one side of this hall is a men's room, the other a lady's. On the side with the men's room is a waiting area posted for Amtrak (and maybe Jersey Transit) customers. As you enter that area, there will be a manned counter. The person at that counter (really just a big desk) can order a redcap.

If by some chance you are a member of the United Club (with your physical card), you can use the Acela Lounge on the opposite corner of the hall, where they can also order a redcap. Star Alliance Gold won't get you in.

Hi Markeb

Thanks again......your sweeping assumption was bang on! It wool be my first experience of an American Train! I'm sure it will be fantastic!

There are several bus options from. NYC to BAL.

Thank you. Didn't consider the bus! Should have but didn't......also the thought of using the highway was ruled out because of possible delays mentioned.

Leaving it to another driver is just not me!

Oops.....no. But we booked the 8am train.......not too bothered about early boarding but I must admit you have me a little worried!

fingers crossed

An 8am train leaving NYC the day OF the cruise? I wouldn't do that...

Given that 7/21 is a weekday, if I were you, I'd rent a car and leave NYC around 5am. Even with delays and possible traffic, that will give you plenty of time to get to Baltimore.

As someone who regularly drives between NYC and Baltimore, it can be congested, but it's not gonna be 8 hours (not even on a holiday and this is a weekday).

I think you're cutting it WAY too close getting on an 8am train. Just my two cents...if you really want to take the train, do it the day before!

The train is scheduled to leave NYC at 0810 and arrive in Baltimore at 1046!

The cruise doesn't depart til late afternoon.

How long can it take to get to the port? Even with a delay on the train for an hour or so?

Are the American Trains so bad? Ive just paid $392 return for 4 people so I hope not!

I am a risk taker........so please confirm my chances of making the cruise!

And how about JFK on the return!!!!!

Im booked on the 11am....in at 1346! Need to check in to JFK at 4pm!

The train is scheduled to leave NYC at 0810 and arrive in Baltimore at 1046!

The cruise doesn't depart til late afternoon.

How long can it take to get to the port? Even with a delay on the train for an hour or so?

Are the American Trains so bad? Ive just paid $392 return for 4 people so I hope not!

I am a risk taker........so please confirm my chances of making the cruise!

And how about JFK on the return!!!!!

Im booked on the 11am....in at 1346! Need to check in to JFK at 4pm!

It's probably 15-20 minutes by cab from Baltimore Penn Station to the cruise terminal.

Amtrak is not as predictable as the British Rail system, but it is very good on the Northeast Corridor. I'm assuming your boarding time is around 3:00? Although a half hour delay on the NE Regional wouldn't surprise me, it's normally on time or early, and you should have almost a 4 hour cushion. It's normally exceptionally good between New York and Washington. I too get antsy outside those boundaries, but not so much within them.

Unless something catastrophic happens that morning to close the tracks, you'll be fine, and many of those catastrophic options (flooding, hurricanes, etc.) will make other modes of transportation difficult as well.

To echo markeb, I've sailed out of Baltimore several times coming from New York. I've always taken the 8:10 Northeast Regional the morning of the cruise. On average I've been at the cruise terminal by 11 AM and never much later. There are plenty of cabs waiting at Baltimore Penn Station and the trip to the port is around 10 to 15 minutes.

I've found the train ride to be comfortable and most of the time the free wifi on the train works well. There is no checked baggage but each car has an area in it where larger bags can be stowed, smaller bags can go in the overhead rack.

Is there a chance the train could be delayed, yes there is always that chance but they run the NE Regional every hour with Acelas in there too with a pretty good record.