Amsterdam Obstructed View Cabins

geoherb

I'm trying to decide between risking taking an obstructed view guarantee (Cat. H) on the Amsterdam, booking a specific Cat. H, or booking a specific Cat. G. Some of the Cat. G cabins look tiny on the deck plans since they're at the bow of the ship, so I wouldn't want to risk booking one of them as a guarantee--even though we could end up in one of the tiny cabins by booking the Cat. H as a guarantee. Moving up to a Cat. F is more than I want to pay. Any thoughts? Also, is cabin 2501 on the Main Deck bad? It's one of the possibilities if we pick a specific cabin. It looks bigger than the adjacent cabins (and the one on the opposite side of the ship is an accessible cabin, so I'm thinking it might be). We don't mind being at the bow of the ship due to motion sickness.

Are you aware that all the G cabins have just portholes? We don't like that. We like cabins on the Lower Promenade, but not under the galley or showroom. Under the MDR is not noisy. Privacy is not a problem, as the mirrored glass prevents anyone from looking in. We've had five LP cabins on the Amsterdam and S class ships and have tested the visibility into the cabin in each.

I suggest 3404/05/16/17/26/29

Edited by jtl513

We have booked "HH" obstructed cabins on the Amsterdam and similar class ships in the past under the MDR and have been very pleased. Rooms have been quiet and never had a problem with people looking in. The cabins have easy access to the LP and are a good value.

Karen

Thanks for posting the link that shows the views. We had a promenade cabin on the Maasdam with the mirrored window. We checked out the ability of people to peer in. It was possible at night if we had a light on in our cabin, so we kept our curtains closed at night when we had a light on. I don't mind having a porthole, and I don't think DH will go for an inside.

After talking it over with DH, we're going to go with the Cat. H on the Lower Promenade. He wants to be where he can go outside quickly. The view doesn't look too bad other than the fact that people will be walking in front of our window. We'll get filtered natural light in the daytime and will close our curtains at night when our lights are on.

Having sailed on the essentially identical Zaandam, my main concern would be the lack of privacy as anyone on the promenade can peer into your cabin. Almost better to get an Inside and save.

We had one of those cabins and I tested out how much you can see in. Even standing right in front of the window you cannot see; by cupping your hands on the window and then looking in you could vaguely see something but not much. At night time with the drapes not closed and lights on in the cabin you can of course see in.

Are you aware that all the G cabins have just portholes? We don't like that. We like cabins on the Lower Promenade, but not under the galley or showroom. Under the MDR is not noisy. Privacy is not a problem, as the mirrored glass prevents anyone from looking in. We've had five LP cabins on the Amsterdam and S class ships and have tested the visibility into the cabin in each.

I suggest 3404/05/16/17/26/29

After talking it over with DH, we're going to go with the Cat. H on the Lower Promenade. He wants to be where he can go outside quickly. The view doesn't look too bad other than the fact that people will be walking in front of our window. We'll get filtered natural light in the daytime and will close our curtains at night when our lights are on.

You will like room H 3429. Stayed in this room on 2 world cruises. Outside of the window is a box for lifevest so no one will stand next to it. Also is very quite.. Only one room between you and the outside.

These Hs are good cabins, several of which we have sailed in. HH not so great, but the Hs are a good value.

Another thread notes this is an Alaska cruise, so I have to add that in August the evenings are light very late. You will be able to keep the curtains open longer than you might think!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Having sailed on the essentially identical Zaandam, my main concern would be the lack of privacy as anyone on the promenade can peer into your cabin. Almost better to get an Inside and save.

Absolutely not true. The windows are all one way mirrors. We had a cabin on the lower promenade. There was no concern for lack of privacy.

We liked it because we are walkers and the walkway was steps away from our cabin.

Having sailed on the essentially identical Zaandam, my main concern would be the lack of privacy as anyone on the promenade can peer into your cabin.
Have you ever been able to see in? I certainly can't unless my nose is pressed against the glass with my hands cupped around my eyes and all the room lights are on! Nobody does that ... other than the occupant, testing. ;) Edited by catl331

Actually yes. No even close up but 5' or more away, just casually walking by. You definitely can see shapes inside, even during the day. Closer the object is to the window, the clearer and more distinct it is. Not only on the Zaandam (the rooms where the metal shielding shades the room in gloom in particular) but on the Prinsendam too.

Just talked to my wife about it and she remembers the issue clearly too. So much so that for our next cruise, if we even decide to book it, she said it'll be either inside or an outside not being where someone could walk by.

Actually yes. No even close up but 5' or more away, just casually walking by. You definitely can see shapes inside, even during the day.
WOW - you certainly have excellent (and I think exceptional) vision. I haven't been able to see into LP rooms on the Amsterdam, the Prinsendam, or any of the four S class ships we've been on, and I think I am more the norm. Edited by catl331

I think you would have to cup your hands and press your nose against the window in order to make out anything like a body shape - even with all the lights on. You have to be paranoid to think someone can see you through that mirror.

If we ever sailed on Amsterdam again we would probably request the same room.

Actually yes. No even close up but 5' or more away, just casually walking by. You definitely can see shapes inside, even during the day. Closer the object is to the window, the clearer and more distinct it is. Not only on the Zaandam (the rooms where the metal shielding shades the room in gloom in particular) but on the Prinsendam too.

Just talked to my wife about it and she remembers the issue clearly too. So much so that for our next cruise, if we even decide to book it, she said it'll be either inside or an outside not being where someone could walk by.

That was not my experience on the Amsterdam and I tested it several times in different conditions.

I think you would have to cup your hands and press your nose against the window in order to make out anything like a body shape - even with all the lights on. You have to be paranoid to think someone can see you through that mirror.

That is what I observed too.

• 4 weeks later...
You will like room H 3429. Stayed in this room on 2 world cruises. Outside of the window is a box for lifevest so no one will stand next to it. Also is very quite.. Only one room between you and the outside.

Can you tell me if this room has a fully obstructed view? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums