First timer, what can i expect on Summit?

rieann

Not sure if this is the right area to post this. I have some serious beginner questions. I'm most likely going to be sailing to Bermuda on Summit April 2017.

I'm having trouble finding exactly what is included with the cruise. Is there an option for all meals that are included?

Is the sea pass for alcohol worth it? I don't consider myself a huge drinker, but not a light weight either. How much are drinks usually when you pay as you go?

What do you guys typically do during the day when at sea? I'll be in an interior cabin and worried I may get bored. Are there areas to relax that aren't filled up with other people/especially children?

From what I understand you can bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin. I will most likely do that. Are you limited to having it in the room only? I know there is a corking fee at restaurants. Anywhere else we can enjoy our wine without a fee?

I think that's all I got for now... Any other tidbits of information would also be welcomed. Thanks!!

Read this to get more information: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2370193

All of your meals are included. Those that aren't are: Bistro on 5, Q'Sine, Tuscan Grille, A Taste of Film, Rendezvous (was that the name of it?), and Cafe al Bacio drinks to name a few. You don't have to partake in any of these venues if you don't want.

It's not a "seapass for alcohol" but an alcohol/drink package you buy or get free with the promos. Drinks run $2-$15 I would guess, with the average being around $8-$12 maybe. Water and Coke are obviously at the $2-$5 range. You have to weigh out whether it's worth it or not for you.

There's plenty to do and often, too much to do and not enough time. There are places around the ship without kids and too much noise, but you do have to seek them out and they tend to be far from the pools. For that reason, we like having a large balcony so we can get away from the masses, but I know there are plenty of places you can find around the ship that are peaceful.

Keep reading the boards. You'll gain a lot just from reading others' experiences. ;)

I'm having trouble finding exactly what is included with the cruise. Is there an option for all meals that are included? Main dining room, buffet, grill and a variety of other foods are all included. There are also purchase options.

Is the sea pass for alcohol worth it? I don't consider myself a huge drinker, but not a light weight either. How much are drinks usually when you pay as you go? If you only drink bottled water(2+a day), good coffee(2+ a day), alcoholic drinks (4+ a day) it might be a good deal. Search for drink package calculator to learn more

What do you guys typically do during the day when at sea? I'll be in an interior cabin and worried I may get bored. Are there areas to relax that aren't filled up with other people/especially children? Yes private areas. Yes there are many activities - many free some paid

From what I understand you can bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin. I will most likely do that. Are you limited to having it in the room only? I know there is a corking fee at restaurants. Anywhere else we can enjoy our wine without a fee? You could fill a glass in your stateroom then go where ever on the ship you would like. But you would have to end up back at your room to re-fill.

Not sure if this is the right area to post this. I have some serious beginner questions. I'm most likely going to be sailing to Bermuda on Summit April 2017.

I'm having trouble finding exactly what is included with the cruise. Is there an option for all meals that are included? Meals are included in most venues. Specialty restaurants charge extra. On Summit those are Tuscan, QSine. Bistro on 5. Luminae and BLU are for suite guests and Aqua class guests. Main Dining Room (MDR) and Oceanview (Buffet) are included and where most take their meals.

Is the sea pass for alcohol worth it? I don't consider myself a huge drinker, but not a light weight either. How much are drinks usually when you pay as you go? Sea Pass is actually the card you use for charging items to your account. I've never "bought" a beverage package, but rather it has been "included" in our fare. Remember the beverage package covers much more than alcoholic drinks, wine and beer. Specialty coffees, "Previously frozen fresh squeezed OJ", sodas, bottled water and more are included. There are quite a few threads here on CC that will help you understand the beverage packages.

What do you guys typically do during the day when at sea? I'll be in an interior cabin and worried I may get bored. Are there areas to relax that aren't filled up with other people/especially children? There are plenty of areas to sit and pass the day, reading, or your favorite pastime. There are also scheduled activities throughout the day (trivia, movies, bingo, shopping, etc.). We love sea days! There should not be many children in April or May.

From what I understand you can bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin. I will most likely do that. Are you limited to having it in the room only? I know there is a corking fee at restaurants. Anywhere else we can enjoy our wine without a fee? If you put it into a wine glass, you should be fine most anywhere.

I think that's all I got for now... Any other tidbits of information would also be welcomed. Thanks!!

See above.

Ken

Just want to thank you all for your quick and helpful answers!

I haven't booked just yet, but browsing the site I saw a cruise departing april 30th. Basically, I earned a free cruise and I have until September to book, and by May 1st to sail.

I thought Celebrity didn't even start their Bermuda cruises until May. Unless they are talking about the repositioning cruise. Does that go to Bermuda?

Yes, the repositioning cruise stops in Bermuda for a couple of days only in late April. I agree, the water at that time is still "George Costanza" cold. :eek:

Yes, the repositioning cruise stops in Bermuda for a couple of days only in late April. I agree, the water at that time is still "George Costanza" cold. :eek:

Dang! That's a bummer! But thanks for the info. My free cruise is available to a couple different destinations, so I might have to set my sights on somewhere else. I was just thinking Bermuda since Bayonne is so close to me.

Dang! That's a bummer! But thanks for the info. My free cruise is available to a couple different destinations, so I might have to set my sights on somewhere else. I was just thinking Bermuda since Bayonne is so close to me.

Do you have to go in the end of April? It warms up nicely by the end of May beginning of June. You could sail then from Bayonne to Bermuda.

Do you have to go in the end of April? It warms up nicely by the end of May beginning of June. You could sail then from Bayonne to Bermuda.

Yes, need to sail by May 1st. Too soon to make plans for this year, so I was looking at 2017. Probably gonna switch gears and go on a caribbean cruise leaving from Florida.

Yes, need to sail by May 1st. Too soon to make plans for this year, so I was looking at 2017. Probably gonna switch gears and go on a caribbean cruise leaving from Florida.

If you want hot weather then yes, as Celebrity does not return to Bayonne until April 30, 2017. Too bad.

Hi, if you are looking to go to the Caribbean in April 2017, there are

8 choices. You can check the Celebrity website for the options. Some

leave out of Ft. Lauderdale and some out of Miami.

Edited by Lois R

I'm having trouble finding exactly what is included with the cruise. Is there an option for all meals that are included?

Is the sea pass for alcohol worth it? I don't consider myself a huge drinker, but not a light weight either. How much are drinks usually when you pay as you go?

What do you guys typically do during the day when at sea? I'll be in an interior cabin and worried I may get bored. Are there areas to relax that aren't filled up with other people/especially children?.......

The welcome aboard drinks offered to you as you first board the ship are free (usually choice of sparkling wine, mimosa or orange juice).

Ice cream (near the entrance to the buffet) on deck 10 is free.

But there is a charge for the gelato on deck 5.

At Cafe al Bacio on deck 5 (midship), all the yummy snacks are free, but they charge for the beverages sold there, unless you have a beverage package.

The hamburgers, hotdogs, fries, guacamole, etc. out at the pool grill are also free and quite good.

Whether or not it is worth getting a beverage package is an individual choice depending on what you drink and how much you drink.

Many passengers find the ship's water perfectly fine to drink, but others prefer to drink bottled water. The ship's water is used in their soups, teas, coffee, ice cubes, etc.

Free, unlimited beverages on the ship include coffee, hot chocolate, tea (both hot and iced), lemonade, punch, and various juices.

These days they commonly raise the posted price of the cruise itself and include a "free" beverage package and other perks, but many passengers are able to qualify for a discounted cruise price of one kind or another without the perks.

(Guess I should be using the term "included" or "no extra charge" instead of free.)

If you are eligible for any discounted cruise prices, it is worthwhile comparing the discounted prices without the perks to the full price with the perks to see which will be more advantageous for you.

All meals are included regardless of which way you book the cruise.

As for what to do on the ship, every night at turndown, your stateroom attendant will leave you a copy of the next day's Celebrity Today, which lists all the activities scheduled for the next day.

Many passengers mark or circle the activities they plan to attend.

It also shows the hours for the various dining venues and other ship services.

There is no charge to use the very nice gym up at the front of deck 10, or any of the pools, including the wonderful indoor thallasotherapy pool.

On days when we are not in the mood for another long, drawn out dinner in the dining room or one of the restaurants, we like to head up to the back of the buffet on deck 10, get some grilled-to-order fish or chicken or meat, with veggies and salad, and eat at a table out on the open rear deck there. Or other times we opt for the pizza, or stir fry, or pasta.

A community bulletin board near guest relations on deck 3 lists additional activities not listed in Celebrity Today, usually activities of various types organized by the passengers themselves, such as card games.

They often offer a free galley tour on one of the sea days, something very interesting that is worth taking if you have never done one.

If you cruise during times when school is in session, there are usually relatively few children on Celebrity cruises. You can just about always find a comfortable, quiet spot somewhere to sit and read or daydream or just enjoy the view.

Edited by fleckle

Hi rieann!

I know you have plenty of great info already, but the editorial staff at Cruise Critic have written up a review detailing every aspect of the ship here: Celebrity Summit I am sailing for the first time on Summit in July, and so I will be doing a full update with all the new features onboard. Also on our review page are plenty of member reviews from people who have sailed recently.

Have fun planning and Happy Cruising!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

What do you guys typically do during the day when at sea? I'll be in an interior cabin and worried I may get bored. Are there areas to relax that aren't filled up with other people/especially children?

From what I understand you can bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin. I will most likely do that. Are you limited to having it in the room only? I know there is a corking fee at restaurants. Anywhere else we can enjoy our wine without a fee?

Hi!

You may be interested in seeing my youtube videos of past cruises on the Summit. We have been on her several times and are doing back to back cruises on the Summit again this November.

https://www.youtube.com/user/existentialtraveler

This is my youtube channel. Scroll around it for the years 2015, 2014, 2013,( we were on the Solstice for 2012), 2011 videos of the Summit. The ports are different from your upcoming cruise, but there are LOTS of ship and food pics. I hope you enjoy them.

Edited by existentialtraveler

Thanks again for all the helpful replies. So, the seated dining that you all are talking about..that is also included?

I'm really bummed to hear that the water will be so frigid in early may for Bermuda. I was really banking on taking that cruise. I have a lot of thinking to do about whether I want to save airfare and just go Bermuda, hoping we hit a heat wave. Or, just spend the money and fly to Florida. And I really don't want to spend the extra time or money at the port, so I'd be looking to fly in and embark and fly out..not spend any extra days at port.

This is becoming stressful lol wahh

Thanks again for all the helpful replies. So, the seated dining that you all are talking about..that is also included?

I'm really bummed to hear that the water will be so frigid in early may for Bermuda. I was really banking on taking that cruise. I have a lot of thinking to do about whether I want to save airfare and just go Bermuda, hoping we hit a heat wave. Or, just spend the money and fly to Florida. And I really don't want to spend the extra time or money at the port, so I'd be looking to fly in and embark and fly out..not spend any extra days at port.

All your meals in the main dining room are included in the cruise price.

So, should you choose to only eat there (seated dining) for dinner,

you will not be charged extra for it.

If you choose to eat in the buffet, you will not be charged extra for that

either.

The Specialty Restaurants are where the extra charges come into play.

Here is a link to 2 excellent reviews about the Summit from Feb 2014 and her repeat cruise in Feb 2015 that included Bermuda.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169016

The other issue with the first week in May in Bermuda is the there are lots of beached Portuguese Man O Wars - which means you should not go swimming at all and it can be windy and rainy. We went this year and the day we arrived was sunny, but the next two days were windy and rainy which caused choppy water around the island and all water based and outdoor shore excursions were cancelled. We got a taxi driver to take us on a 2 hour tour, went to see the pink sand beaches - with about 50 Portuguese Man O Wars on them. Met a local man who was flying one of those Bermuda style kites with the extra long tail. That was interesting, drove around the island a bit and saw the highlights. When our ship arrived, a lot of people got off with luggage and golf clubs and checked into golf resorts on the island, but I doubt they could play. Unfortunately we didn't get to see any of the pink sunsets. Of course, there is no predicting the weather from year to year. You could go and it might be fine.

Edited by SuiteTraveler