Cheers: Not about breaking even for us

zabaco

We are cruising in a week (yay!) and even though I don't think we will "break even" on Cheers, we bought it. Let me explain.

My husband is not a big drinker at all, but he does drink. At home, he drinks a beer pretty much every night and enjoys a glass of wine with dinner. There is NO WAY he will drink enough to make up for the cost of Cheers (me, on the other hand....I love those fruity concoctions on vacation!)

So why in he world would we get Cheers? Without Cheers, he won't drink at all on the cruise because he hates to spend money on a drink by drink basis. Even if he would enjoy a beer or a glass of wine, he won't order one because of the cost.

So for us, Cheers is my way of getting him to loosen up and enjoy himself during the cruise. That is worth the extra cost, right there.

It might sound stupid, but psychologically there just something different about the fact that it's paid for up front so you can relax and enjoy yourself without having to worry.

I'll keep track and see how we do. I'm not going to TRY to break even (because that doesn't sound fun, either) but I am interested to see how we do. The addition of the bottled waters and coffee drinks, etc. really made the difference--I'm looking forward to having as much bottled water as I want plus San Pelligrino in the MDR.

So--even if we don't "break even", I think Cheers will enhance our vacation experience so much that it will be worth the cost. And THAT is worth paying for.

Edited by zabaco

We are cruising in a week (yay!) and even though I don't think we will "break even" on Cheers, we bought it. Let me explain.

My husband is not a big drinker at all, but he does drink. At home, he drinks a beer pretty much every night and enjoys a glass of wine with dinner. There is NO WAY he will drink enough to make up for the cost of Cheers (me, on the other hand....I love those fruity concoctions on vacation!)

So why in he world would we get Cheers? Without Cheers, he won't drink at all on the cruise because he hates to spend money on a drink by drink basis. Even if he would enjoy a beer or a glass of wine, he won't order one because of the cost.

So for us, Cheers is my way of getting him to loosen up and enjoy himself during the cruise. That is worth the extra cost, right there.

It might sound stupid, but psychologically there just something different about the fact that it's paid for up front so you can relax and enjoy yourself without having to worry.

I'll keep track and see how we do. I'm not going to TRY to break even (because that doesn't sound fun, either) but I am interested to see how we do. The addition of the bottled waters and coffee drinks, etc. really made the difference--I'm looking forward to having as much bottled water as I want plus San Pelligrino in the MDR.

So--even if we don't "break even", I think Cheers will enhance our vacation experience so much that it will be worth the cost. And THAT is worth paying for.

Congratulations on your upcoming cruise. I hope you have a great time!

I completely understand your strategy. Isn't it nice to not have to worry about how much you're spending during your cruise? By paying one price up front, you and your husband can relax knowing you've already budgeted for your drink expenses.

We cruise the Vista in December and also bought the Cheers! package.

With it being an 8 day cruise and having 4 ports, we will not break even either, because we aren't huge drinkers.

Just like you though, I enjoy the feel of it being all inclusive. I don't have to stress about how much we are spending onboard because it's already paid for.

I also like the idea of being able to try drinks that I wouldn't have tried in the past because we were paying per drink.

Now, if I don't like something, I'm not wasting money!

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Edited by surfjock27

Never thought of it this way. I might have to think about it myself, now that extras are included. Will be interested to see how you come out.

Have a great cruise.

I'm glad my post made you think about it in a new way! I see so many people worrying about how to break even, and so I wanted to put a different side of it out there. Vacation is not a time to worry about every dime.

I understand wanting to relax on the cruise and not worry about money.

Mathematically though, your 1 beer a night +1 glass of wine husband who would pay about $20(or less per day) buying each drink separately , is now spending $50 per day instead.

I could use that extra $30 per day for other things but if that gives you peace of mind then of course enjoy!!

This is exactly why Carnival offers the packages because they know most won't drink enough to break even but they won't care, they like not worrying about what they spend on board. Especially on long port days they rake the money in on those drink packages because a lot of people come back from port exhausted and already wasted so they aren't drinking much if at all when they get back.

People look at it by the day per person and think well that's not a bad price. But it's required for the whole cruise and for everyone of age in the room. If you look at that total it usually takes on a whole different view. $50 a day no biggie some days I might spend that much on different things to drink (me personally I wouldn't but others might). $800 a week, $1,000 a cruise, $1500 a cruise or whatever your cabin total comes up to whoa wait a minute most wouldn't come close to that if they paid per drink unless they drank something all day long, were heavy drinkers or tried to hit the limits with expensive drinks.

This is exactly why Carnival offers the packages because they know most won't drink enough to break even but they won't care, they like not worrying about what they spend on board. Especially on long port days they rake the money in on those drink packages because a lot of people come back from port exhausted and already wasted so they aren't drinking much if at all when they get back.

People look at it by the day per person and think well that's not a bad price. But it's required for the whole cruise and for everyone of age in the room. If you look at that total it usually takes on a whole different view. $50 a day no biggie some days I might spend that much on different things to drink (me personally I wouldn't but others might). $800 a week, $1,000 a cruise, $1500 a cruise or whatever your cabin total comes up to whoa wait a minute most wouldn't come close to that if they paid per drink unless they drank something all day long, were heavy drinkers or tried to hit the limits with expensive drinks.

Carnival is making a killing on posters like this and I'm certain, very few break even on the entire cruise.

If it wasn't making them huge amounts of money, they would have discontinued it by now.

Im not knocking them, whatever it takes to enjoy their cruise, but it doesn't make financial sense to me to spend more up front because you don't want to think about it as you go.

Knowingly paying more than you'd spend to "not worry". I will never understand it. I hate looking at price tags in my face too on a relaxing vacation, but if I know I'll spend $100-150 on alcohol, I won't spend $350 up front so that I don't have to think about it.

I honestly can not think of many worse budgeting strategies short of paying a la carte and just going wild all week.

That is exactly how I look at it too. Although we should be at the break even point as we are moderate drinkers. But, my husband hates to spend money. On our last cruise he didn't drink nearly what he wanted and I held back a little because of peer pressure. :rolleyes:

This cruise I told him I didn't care about the break even. I want both of us to be able to enjoy the cruise and drink what we wanted when we wanted. (Might as well, it's paid for!)

I don't know if I would feel the same way if one of us only drank 2 drinks a day. But, I completely relate to where you're coming from. Anything that takes stress out of the equation while on vacation is a good thing!

Yep I don't fault anyone for over paying to have an all inclusive, it's like going to a beaches resort when you know you don't drink much. You are paying for the alcohol even though you won't be drinking much of it (which is why I don't go to the all inclusive resorts). If that's what works best for your vacation go for it. I'd rather toss $100-$200 on the sign and sail before the cruise to cover that beer and wine every day so it's prepaid, then get back any that's left over but whatever works.

I agree completely! Enjoy your cruise.....

Knowingly paying more than you'd spend to "not worry". I will never understand it. I hate looking at price tags in my face too on a relaxing vacation, but if I know I'll spend $100-150 on alcohol, I won't spend $350 up front so that I don't have to think about it.

I honestly can not think of many worse budgeting strategies short of paying a la carte and just going wild all week.

I think for a lot of people it's not so much about not worrying as it is overall vacation satisfaction.

Based on your numbers, if someone would like to enjoy $150 worth of drinks, but is so frugal that when it comes time to order a drink they pass on it then they end up spending $50. Which might make the frugal person happy on one hand but lessen their vacation happiness.

I agree $150 to $350 is a stretch that I couldn't justify. But $250 to $350 I could if it means a happier and less stressful vacation. I would gladly pay $100 to take away a known stressor.

I understand wanting to relax on the cruise and not worry about money.

Mathematically though, your 1 beer a night +1 glass of wine husband who would pay about $20(or less per day) buying each drink separately , is now spending $50 per day instead.

I could use that extra $30 per day for other things but if that gives you peace of mind then of course enjoy!!

Yep.

Except that he would instead spend $0 without Cheers so we would be $50 ahead.

I'm trying to get the dude to relax and that is worth more than $50 per day to me.

I think for a lot of people it's not so much about not worrying as it is overall vacation satisfaction.

Based on your numbers, if someone would like to enjoy $150 worth of drinks, but is so frugal that when it comes time to order a drink they pass on it then they end up spending $50. Which might make the frugal person happy on one hand but lessen their vacation happiness.

I agree $150 to $350 is a stretch that I couldn't justify. But $250 to $350 I could if it means a happier and less stressful vacation. I would gladly pay $100 to take away a known stressor.

Like I said, I can totally understand not wanting to see dollar signs in your face all vacation. It can take the magic away.

On vacation I go from a very light drinker to moderate. My wife hardly ever drinks at all. So Cheers simply won't make sense for us. If I could buy it for myself only, I might do so for convenience, but I can't. So I won't knowingly overspend to get the benefit. It makes me LESS happy and stresses me more because I feel I need to "get my money worth". Do I drink less a la carte versus it being included? Yes, probably.

And just to clarify--I predict he will drink a LOT MORE than his typical at home (where he has one beer or one glass of wine per night). He will probably have 3-4 drinks per day, plus bottled water. Maybe more, but I'm not going to know until we are there.

While we won't break even, we will have a much more relaxed and enjoyable vacation because of the Cheers package. That's worth $500 to me.

And maybe we will surprise ourselves and find that we DO break even.

It's our 25th anniversary and we are going to relax, have our first kid-free vacation in years, and not think about how much every drink costs because we have already paid for it.

Edited by zabaco

Unfortunately the majority of people here will rain on your parade. But understand these are the same people who spend hours a day hoping for a $20 price drop, try to smuggle booze in their luggage, race to get on the ship as soon as possible as not to miss a feeding, and reduce their gratuities on those days they don't dine in the MDR and complain that Carnival raised the price of a 12-pack of water by $1. To these types it is all about the nickel and nothing else. Then they take offense when the word Walmart come up!

Even though it is unlikely I won't buy even one drink on our next cruise (I just don't care to drink), I absolutely understand and agree your rational for doing this...and I am not even a shareholder!

And just to clarify--I predict he will drink a LOT MORE than his typical at home (where he has one beer or one glass of wine per night). He will probably have 3-4 drinks per day, plus bottled water. Maybe more, but I'm not going to know until we are there.

While we won't break even, we will have a much more relaxed and enjoyable vacation because of the Cheers package. That's worth $500 to me.

It's our 25th anniversary and we are going to relax, have our first kid-free vacation in years, and not think about how much every drink costs because we have already paid for it.

Enjoy your 25th Anniversary cruise.

How exciting! I hope you have a fabulous time!

We also figured in the added financial benefit of upgrading our choice of alcohol. If paying cash we would order stoli, but with cheers we will order belvedere. And now will have a patron margarita or two. I think that's a great bonus that makes it worth it even if we don't quite break even.

I fully agree with the OP. Vacation is a time for us to relax and not worry. Both my DW and myself with drink while on vacation and while we might not even come close to breaking even, I am not about to worry about it. We only get to cruise about every 3 or 4 years so it is a chance for us to relax and enjoy ourselves. We are the type that the Carnival beards and shareholders love. We prepay our tips and will tip extra on service, we purchase FTTF and even Carnivals insurance but don't mind. I do wish that Carnival would allow the use of gift cards for the cheers program but maybe within the next 428 days they will change. I love the thought of not worrying about what a drink cost or what a meal cost. We will continue to cruise with Carnival and they will continue to make a good profit off of me and I will continue to have a fun, relaxing vacation with them. All is good with the world when on vacation.

We've done Cheers 4-5 times now. We are break even drinkers with it. I love it because it takes the $$ worry out of it. We try new things. Don't worry about not finishing it. We try new wines at dinner. I've had drinks I'd never dream of paying for because they are intimidating or I think they'll be too sweet or whatever. It's expanded our horizons and allows us to be adventurous and not worry. It also includes virgin drinks which we enjoy ordering too! I'd never ordered a bloody mary in the am before because they were pricey. Now I know they are really good bloody mary's and look forward to them each trip. We have days we don't even drink on a cruise and we still manage to break even once you count sodas, bottled water, coffees, after dinner cappucino's etc.

It is peace of mind and allows us to maximize our enjoyment. Love those $0 receipts!

To the OP I say BRAVO!

So many on here worry about the financial aspect of things like Cheers and FTTF. For some these options aren't cost effective. For others like myself and the OP it's more about removing stressors and adding enjoyment to our vacations.

Enjoy your cruise and happy anniversary!

I'm glad my post made you think about it in a new way! I see so many people worrying about how to break even, and so I wanted to put a different side of it out there. Vacation is not a time to worry about every dime.

That's so funny, I never spoken it, but that's so true. My hubby is like that too. I've been buying all along. The first 2 cruises, we didn't have it, he was really skimping on the drinks.