Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

I think it is clear that Carnival's ban on liquids was for SECURITY reasons - so they are willing to sell the water cheaply.

By contrast, NCL's ban was clearly for REVENUE reasons - so that are not willing to sell the water cheaply.

Bingo!!!

The people that smuggled on booze did not want to pay ships prices. If they smuggle in a wine bottle, they still have to pay the corkage fee (on top of what they originally paid for the booze). They are limited to 2 bottles. So even if someone wants to go to the extreme of smuggling in a wine bottle, it has still gotten more expensive for them and the quantity that can be smuggled that way reduced.

Bottom line is while it might be possible, I doubt that many will try. The cost benefit ration has gotten worse and reduced the incentive.

It's not smuggling and the only limitation is how many $15 you want to pay for your wine brought aboard. For some it is still well worth it because they like their quality wine, but not at NCL premium prices.

From our point of view, as with so many other aspects of life, those who do actually smuggle (or break any rule) tend to create problems for the majority who do not. In the longer term everyone suffers. A small minority creates a problem for everyone. If you want to change the way things work don't try to be clever and beat everyone - unite.

I really just don't get this. We have sailed 11 times with our kids without once buying a beverage package or bringing water or soda on-board for them. We purchased bottled water on our last cruise just because we got a deal on Carnival for $2.99....we left half of it behind, unopened. I doubt if I would do it again. We aren't for our next Carnival Cruise in 3 months. If you are truly cruising on a budget then you don't need to buy the expensive beverage package or bottled water. Ice tea, juice, milk, coffee, tea, lemonade, and fountain water are FREE and plentiful. If you want water on shore, we have where you can buy bottled water pretty inexpensively at most ports and you could always take your own bottle to fill and take ashore. If you blow your budget on beverage packages and bottled water then that is on you...NCL does offer many alternatives that are already included in your cruise fare.

BINGO !!

Just got back from a 7 night cruise where my kids all had the soda package from a booking promo and they all drank water or lemonade at every single meal anyway, and as far as I can tell they are all still healthy with no side effects.

In my opinion, the most harmful consequence of this policy is that many more guests will be filling bottles of water at the buffet stations which are not properly equipped for this. The consequences will be as follows:

1) long, very long lines at the water stations, and

2) increased risk of spreading disease.

I guess Norwegian is willing to take the risks involved with their new policy since their prices for bottled water are so outrageous. Me thinks Carnival has taken hold of these risks and, therefore, greatly reduced the price of bottled water they sell. Makes sence to avoid spreading disease.

Too bad NCL isn't as savy! ;)

I think you are grossly overestimating the amount of passengers that carry water (or any type of beverage) on board with them.

That is the furthest thing from most peoples mind when they are going on vacation.

Funny thing is 25 years ago, if you told someone everyone be paying any $$ for water in a bottle they would think you belonged in the looney bin for being out of your mind.

Edited by titangas

I have been with NCL for many years, cruise in the Haven, and am at Platinum level. I am not seeking anything for free. I am willing to pay to have Coke stocked in my cabin even though the beverage package is included when you book the Haven. I am not willing to go an entire week without having a Coke.

I am seeking a different line that carries Coke. The is a deal breaker for my family. I have heard people in the Haven ask for many more things than a can of Coke and their requests are met. Mr. Del Rio, if and when you relax your new policy you know where to find us.

I have been with NCL for many years, cruise in the Haven, and am at Platinum level. I am not seeking anything for free. I am willing to pay to have Coke stocked in my cabin even though the beverage package is included when you book the Haven. I am not willing to go an entire week without having a Coke.

I am seeking a different line that carries Coke. The is a deal breaker for my family. I have heard people in the Haven ask for many more things than a can of Coke and their requests are met. Mr. Del Rio, if and when you relax your new policy you know where to find us.

You wouldn't have to go a week as I am sure you could find a Coke at just about every port on any sailing.

However if you truly cannot go a week without a Coke, you may have to get that looked at.

You wouldn't have to go a week as I am sure you could find a Coke at just about every port on any sailing.

However if you truly cannot go a week without a Coke, you may have to get that looked at.

Some people drink wine everyday, some people drink coffee everyday. Coke is my preference and I do drink it everyday. I'm not hurting anyone so why the shade?

If someone pays the corkage fee for bringing on wine, that is not considered smuggling since the person would have followed the NCL policy. Also, I don't see anything in the new policy that restricts passengers to 2 bottles. I believe you can still bring as many bottles as you want as long as you pay the corkage fees. Carnival & Princess do have a 2 bottle restriction AFAIK.

I guess all of the would be liquid water bombers are going to have to switch over to wine bottles now. I feel soooo much safer.

whether the corkage fee was paid or not is immaterial. if the liquid inside of the wine bottle is not wine, then it is smuggling.

Let's be clear, when NCL says "security" they mean security as in screening all bottles for hooch, it has nothing to do with security as the term is used by the airlines.

Completely agree. I posted my comment from my phone & couldn't find a 🙄 to show my sarcasm. [emoji19]🙄[emoji3]

Why so many compare Carnival's beverage policy to NCL"s?

Why not with other cruise lines? :rolleyes:

One reason is that when Carnival decided to ban liquids in bottles (except for wine) they did it so much better. They had a short period when anyone past final payment could cancel' date=' they made bottled water available at a reasonable price and they still allowed passengers to carry on a reasonable number of canned non alcoholic beverages.

I think you are grossly overestimating the amount of passengers that carry water (or any type of beverage) on board with them.

That is the furthest thing from most peoples mind when they are going on vacation.

And yet, it was enough people that NCL identified it as an untapped revenue source.

BINGO !!

Just got back from a 7 night cruise where my kids all had the soda package from a booking promo and they all drank water or lemonade at every single meal anyway, and as far as I can tell they are all still healthy with no side effects.

so......how do you get lemonade in the mdr. :confused:

This is absolutely beyond comprehension.

It is simply amazing that bottle of pop can have this much effect upon a person, much less an entire family.

It's also a little weird that getting a Coke while in port couldn't stave off the withdrawal thus eliminating the 'going an entire week without having a Coke' deal breaker issue.

Amazing.

It is simply amazing that bottle of pop can have this much effect upon a person, much less an entire family.

It's also a little weird that getting a Coke while in port couldn't stave off the withdrawal thus eliminating the 'going an entire week without having a Coke' deal breaker issue.

Amazing.

exactly. Plus a coke in the Caribbean is like the best....sooooo cane sugary

Amazing.

Some people drink Coke (or Diet Coke) in the mornings since they don't drink coffee or tea. It's their way of getting caffeine. So, not that far-fetched to understand.

Some people drink Coke (or Diet Coke) in the mornings since they don't drink coffee or tea. It's their way of getting caffeine. So, not that far-fetched to understand.

Yes but if it is truly for that purpose, think of this:

Would a coffee drinker not drink their morning cup of coffee if it was not Maxwell House.

Or Chock Full O' Nuts

Or Folgers

etc.

See how ridiculous that sounds.

Would a coffee drinker not drink their morning cup of coffee if it was not Maxwell House.

Or Chock Full O' Nuts

Or Folgers

etc.

Actually, there are some who won't drink anything but their preferred brand. My DH only drank Kona coffee and, yes, we brought it with us and made it on the ship (the butler used to bring us the small, 4 cup pot). So, it's not ridiculous at all.

I think, since you don't have those strong preferences, that it sounds that way to you.

Everyone is entitled to like what they want.

Or Chock Full O' Nuts

Or Folgers

etc.

No, think of it as "if you want your morning caffeine fix from a warm brown beverage, it will need to be tea, not coffee".

Suddenly doesn't sound so funny that people would be upset.

That IS how the Pepsi/Coke difference feels to us.

We are not imposing it on others; kindly be respectful of others' preferences.

Thank you.

It's not smuggling and the only limitation is how many $15 you want to pay for your wine brought aboard. For some it is still well worth it because they like their quality wine, but not at NCL premium prices.

From our point of view, as with so many other aspects of life, those who do actually smuggle (or break any rule) tend to create problems for the majority who do not. In the longer term everyone suffers. A small minority creates a problem for everyone. If you want to change the way things work don't try to be clever and beat everyone - unite.

The smuggling was related to those that replaced the wine with other, stronger alcoholic beverages using the processes people had been describing in the previous few posts.

Really?!?! Where did you hear this from?

They "heard it" or "read it" somewhere. It's a message board.. tin foil hat conspiracy theories are out of control sometimes.

But on another note...this asinine topic is almost at 2500 posts. Keep going folks you are almost there. :cool:

What is to be gained from trying to belittle a person for stating (and acting on )their personal preferences ?

I'm not belittling them. Their favorite pop is no concern to me.

I am aghast that pop has such control over someone's life.

The idea that pop is a deal-breaker for a cruise is just scary.

Plus, we are trying to get this stupid thread to 4000 posts so really...any post helps the cause.