Coral Princess Room Service

hornhiyo

Just back from our first Alaskan cruise on Coral Princess. Whittier to Vancouver and it was a blast.

One issue we had on the ship though was very puzzling. We ordered room service breakfast every morning. Day 1, I checked my breakfast boxes, coffee, fruit, cereal, breakfast sandwich and since we were on vacation, a couple of bloody mary's for a 7:30am delivery.

First morning, knock on the door, "breakfast sir!!". Bring in the tray, but no bloody mary's. "Sorry, we're out of bloody mary's, they sold out already."

Now this was very puzzling to me. How could you sell out of bloody mary's by 7:30am. I'd say the average age of the passengers suggested bloody mary's weren't going to be the most popular item on the menu. If they'd run out of prunes, I could understand it. :D

Day 2, complete the order, same selections. Next morning, "sorry sir, we're out of bloody mary's".

After the day 2 rejection, we went up to the deck bar and voila!! Ordered a bloody mary at the bar.

Day 3, same order, same story. I think the kitchen staff was catching on, since the girl explained, their bar was different than the regular bars.

Day 4, since we already had a bottle of Skyy vodka in the room, ordered tomato juice, then wrote in on the card, "olives, celery, tabasco and worcestershire". :) Needless to say, they didn't bring those things.

It became a running joke the rest of the trip, with me writing requests and/or pleading for a bloody mary. Same story every day. For the record, i'm not that huge a bloody mary fan, it was more principal and comedic value.

Point here is, why have bloody mary's on the menu, if you either didn't have them or are not willing to go to the bar to provide what's on the menu?

Just back from our first Alaskan cruise on Coral Princess. Whittier to Vancouver and it was a blast.

One issue we had on the ship though was very puzzling. We ordered room service breakfast every morning. Day 1, I checked my breakfast boxes, coffee, fruit, cereal, breakfast sandwich and since we were on vacation, a couple of bloody mary's for a 7:30am delivery.

First morning, knock on the door, "breakfast sir!!". Bring in the tray, but no bloody mary's. "Sorry, we're out of bloody mary's, they sold out already."

Now this was very puzzling to me. How could you sell out of bloody mary's by 7:30am. I'd say the average age of the passengers suggested bloody mary's weren't going to be the most popular item on the menu. If they'd run out of prunes, I could understand it. :D

Day 2, complete the order, same selections. Next morning, "sorry sir, we're out of bloody mary's".

After the day 2 rejection, we went up to the deck bar and voila!! Ordered a bloody mary at the bar.

Day 3, same order, same story. I think the kitchen staff was catching on, since the girl explained, their bar was different than the regular bars.

Day 4, since we already had a bottle of Skyy vodka in the room, ordered tomato juice, then wrote in on the card, "olives, celery, tabasco and worcestershire". :) Needless to say, they didn't bring those things.

It became a running joke the rest of the trip, with me writing requests and/or pleading for a bloody mary. Same story every day. For the record, i'm not that huge a bloody mary fan, it was more principal and comedic value.

Point here is, why have bloody mary's on the menu, if you either didn't have them or are not willing to go to the bar to provide what's on the menu?

Puzzling it is! :p

So the cruise was a bummer? :(

Weird assumption to draw. Just a strange episode that turned into a good laugh.

Believe it or not, our first Alaskan cruise experience did not hit or miss based on a bloody mary. ;)

PS - We have a class of 2014 Ag in the family.

Edited by hornhiyo

Weird assumption to draw. Just a strange episode that turned into a good laugh.

Believe it or not, our first Alaskan cruise experience did not hit or miss based on a bloody mary. ;)

PS - We have a class of 2014 Ag in the family.

Not a weird assumption at all.

Just an honest question.......

You go into detail of something that you were concerned with but you give a one word description of your cruise.

You go into detail of something that you were concerned with but you give a one word description of your cruise.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't their a separate area for trip reviews?

I apologize for my over-exuberant use of the word "blast". ;)

I think what's on the door hanger menu is Bloody Mary mixer, not the complete drink. Is that what you ordered?

Shredie, it an $8.75 Bloody Mary. If they'd only brought me mixer, then I might have been annoyed.

As it was, we'll leave it as an anecdote. :)

I agree with hornhiyo, some folks make something out of nothing, even a funny story like this one! :p

It was a comment on room service -- hence the title of the thread -- not a cruise review :confused:

I'm glad the OP had a sense of humor about it :)

Instead of kicking up a fuss, why not go to HC for your breakfast!

Look, the OP was just relating a story about a part of their cruise. They prefaced with the fact that they had a good time. Sometimes it's just fun to 'go for it' and keep on trying! Good for you!

I took Colo Cruisers comment as a giggle too. They have been on these boards for a long time and I enjoy hearing from them as well.

Everyone, get over it! It was just a story about a cruise and one comment. Don't loose sleep or beat it to death!

• 3 weeks later...

We have an upcoming trip on the Coral Princess...never been on this ship but its our 4th Princess cruise although we haven't been on one of their cruises for awhile. Want to say that I appreciate hearing the experience about ordering a bloody mary and then never having one delivered. One of the reasons I read these boards is to find out what to expect. I don't know why people feel they have to defend a cruise line or make fun of the person telling about their experience. Once again...appreciate your taking the time to let us know about the bloody mary...and am glad the rest of the experience was good.

I guess I just sail in the wrong category of cabin as I've never noticed any alcohol at all on the room service breakfast menu. Is this a suite thing or am I just blind or looking in the wrong place?

I guess I just sail in the wrong category of cabin as I've never noticed any alcohol at all on the room service breakfast menu. Is this a suite thing or am I just blind or looking in the wrong place?

I didn't know you could order alcoholic beverages with room service!! My husband loves bloody marys ( I'm a mimosa kind girl )

We will have to this next time or just send my hubby to the bar ;)

Room service does not provide individual alcoholic beverages other than bottled products.

There is no place to order alcoholic beverages on the breakfast room service card that is in your cabin.

Very funny story about room service. We almost always order breakfast from the hang tag to eat in our cabin and sometimes on the balcony. I have never realized that one could order a bloody mary or mixer so I will have to pay more attention to the hang tag next month. The OP's continued attempts to get the mixer was funny and I understand why they were doing it. I could imagine myself having a little fun with the hang tag adding small requests. Glad the OP enjoyed the cruise. We are doing another AK cruise next summer.

• 1 month later...

Funny Story and will be a memory and joke for a long time! I have only been on here for a few days and found some people to be way too intense! :eek:

I love hearing about the Coral Princess and can't wait to do our cruise!

I recalled seeing something posted one time about bloody marys on the room service menu. My guess is that the OP was in a suite?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2311933&highlight=service+menu

If you look at post #9, you will see that Bloody Marys are listed under beverages on the picture of the Suite Room Service menu.

I think the OP was just asking a legitimate question....not sure why people went off on tangents.....

So...For those of you fortunate to be in a suite...were you successful ordering a Bloody Mary? Or... why would it be listed?

:confused: