Wrapping luggage

TiogaCruiser

I have been meaning to ask why people have their luggage wrapped.

In leaving BsAs (EZE), there was a concession that people ( appeared to be locals) were lining up and paying to have their luggage wrapped in what appeared to be Tyvek.

Any ideas?

(Are they trying to prevent break-ins and things being added or taken, damage???

I expect it is to make it more difficult for baggage handlers to get into the luggage when not required. If you Google baggage handlers and security, there are plenty of stories of unscrupulous folks getting into zippered luggage, looking around and re-closing 'locked' luggage with nobody the wiser. Also prevents soaking through if it's raining and the luggage trolley sits out on the tarmac for a while during loading. I, myself, never do it, but I have friends who swear by it.

As stated above - 3 reasons

To keep luggage dry when it is raining at airport or pier

To keep luggage from getting dirty and scuffed or torn

And the most important, to prevent pilferage. Certain airports are notorious for this and the locals know it, so they have the luggage wrapped.

We had to have a suitcase wrapped at the Rome airport because it was badly damaged by HAL when unloading luggage on disembarkation. Suitcase made it home in one piece. We were very happy to see that this service was available.

Why would anyone want someone's dirty, used clothing?

Good point but would surmise it may be due to what else may have been in the suitcase. Also, even dirty, used clothing has a selling price in much of the less fortunate parts of the world.

As stated above - 3 reasons

To keep luggage dry when it is raining at airport or pier

To keep luggage from getting dirty and scuffed or torn

And the most important, to prevent pilferage. Certain airports are notorious for this and the locals know it, so they have the luggage wrapped.

Those are great reasons, shrink rap.

Allmy dirty laundry which I placed in the large outside pocket of my suitcase was stolen .....my undies, my sons designer ones plus socks bras etc ...not cheap stuff ....expensive undergarments but not clean ....Why anyone would take them I dont know .This was in Argentina where i saw people wrapping luggage ..

Asked anagent who told me no need ....yes bigneed

I lock my suitcase everywhere but still found stuff missing

Now i carry my gifts and precious stuff with me in my carry on or purse ....no more in suitcase ..Im also careful with really niceclothes or shoes .I have been robbed in Hotel Rooms and that in not so cheap hotels .....ipad wires and designer jean jackets

If someone can tke something from you they will

I clear everything before I leave a hotel room or cabin .....i leave things neat or locked up ..no point tempting anyone ...someone didtry to break my lock on my purse but it held up except it wasbent almost in half .....my jacket however did grow little feet ....in aMarriot no less

So yes wrap your stuff ep in South America

I wrap mine to not be able to add more stuffin if I am close to 50 lbs ...i send my son beforehand to wrap at the airport ...mybag looks like a little sausage plus they weigh it first to make sure its under 50 lbs

Why would anyone want someone's dirty, used clothing?
If you're only travelling on a pure holiday, that would be a valid question.

But people travel for all sorts of reasons, and have all sorts of things in their checked bags. Pure holiday-makers are only a proportion of air passengers.

We had to have a suitcase wrapped at the Rome airport because it was badly damaged by HAL when unloading luggage on disembarkation. Suitcase made it home in one piece. We were very happy to see that this service was available.

Are you sure that it was HAL which damaged the luggage? It is my understanding that the baggage handlers at the ports are not HAL employees.

Personally have never looked into having our luggage wrapped. As I recall I've seen these services but can't recall where or when. It seems to me it was more popular a few years ago and I've seen it less often as of late. It also seems to me it was more prevalent for International versus domestic travel. Sounds like a good idea but I wonder if TSA takes a dim view of the practice here in the US and thus the seemingly lack of such services.

... I wonder if TSA takes a dim view of the practice here in the US and thus the seemingly lack of such services.

BINGO - TSA rules caution against the use of any locking mechanism that is not approved by TSA. If a non-approved lock is used, TSA will cut the lock (or the luggage itself) if TSA deems it necessary to search the bag. So it would seem that wrapping luggage would fall within the non-approved category of locking mechanism. It is my understanding that some US airlines have adopted the TSA rules as well.

TSA rules caution against the use of any locking mechanism that is not approved by TSA. If a non-approved lock is used, TSA will cut the lock (or the luggage itself) if TSA deems it necessary to search the bag.

Heck, even TSA approved locks are removed and not put back. So far, I've had two go missing from US airports. They were there when I checked the luggage in. :mad:

Me too they disappear regularly so

I buy them wherever ...they are great except TSA very often doesnot put them back ...or forgetto tell methey searchedmy bag ...no card

I have wrappedmy bagsmany times ...nothing missing so I do it quite often

10$ perbag at airport ...make sure theypreweigh

One timeno card ..mywhole suitcase wasupsidedown ...what was on top went to bottom ..neat but reversed ...wierd

Heck, even TSA approved locks are removed and not put back. So far, I've had two go missing from US airports. They were there when I checked the luggage in. :mad:

Before buying another lock for your luggage, go to YouTube and view the videos on how to get into luggage with a ballpoint pen. If your luggage has a zipper on it, a lock is worthless.

Condolences on the loss of your locks. I guess we have been extremely lucky, as we have not had a single one of our locks "go missing", with each one being a veteran of more than 100 flights both inside and outside the US. Perhaps your locks are more desirable looking than ours are ...

Before buying another lock for your luggage, go to YouTube and view the videos on how to get into luggage with a ballpoint pen. If your luggage has a zipper on it, a lock is worthless.

Sorry, but I don't buy your logic. Homes are easy to break into too, but I still lock my doors and windows. It may not stop a dedicated thief, but it will deter opportunists. I always lock my gym locker too, and have never lost anything, while others leaving them unlocked have had valuables stolen.

Sorry, but I don't buy your logic. Homes are easy to break into too, but I still lock my doors and windows. It may not stop a dedicated thief, but it will deter opportunists. I always lock my gym locker too, and have never lost anything, while others leaving them unlocked have had valuables stolen.

... spot on!

Quite frankly we have no misgivings or thoughts of real security by using locks but we do use them but mostly just to keep bags from coming unzipped. We travel a lot for business.....both of us have advanced frequent flyer status....and have acquired quite a collection of locks that now come included with the Delsey brand luggage we prefer. Guess we've been lucky and only lost maybe three or four TSA locks over the 15+ years we've been using them. Sure, we could use zip ties, and in fact have used them, but with the number of locks, maybe a dozen plus, we have there's really no need.

On all our cruises (non-international) we have never locked our luggage or had anything missing and I do buy designer clothing.

I do lock my doors at home, even during the day. Now I feel like I should buy TSA locks and use them but what keeps the criminals from having TSA keys to unlock the locks. Maybe a lock just makes criminals think there are more valuable items inside?

I don't need a tutorial on how to break into soft-sided luggage; I've known how to do that for years! :D

But I do like that locks keep my suitcase closed, with the zippers not slipping open to allow my things to fall out. I also like that locks discourage the casual opportunist, who is more likely to move on to the suitcase without a lock at all, and leave mine alone.

What I don't like is TSA agents too lazy to go get the key to open my lock, or too forgetful to replace it if they did get the key.

Are you sure that it was HAL which damaged the luggage? It is my understanding that the baggage handlers at the ports are not HAL employees.

You are correct that we did not see who dropped our suitcase. All I know is that between the time we put it outside our cabin in the evening and picking it up in the terminal the next morning, it had been dropped and both the zipper was broken and a corner was completely smashed. It was a HAL employee that told us to wrap it at the airport and then send in a claim to Seattle. This was in Civitavecchia.

We were quite happy shrink wrapping it at the airport. I have not seen this offered at airports at home, but perhaps they have it available somewhere out of sight.

You are correct that we did not see who dropped our suitcase. All I know is that between the time we put it outside our cabin in the evening and picking it up in the terminal the next morning, it had been dropped and both the zipper was broken and a corner was completely smashed. It was a HAL employee that told us to wrap it at the airport and then send in a claim to Seattle. This was in Civitavecchia.

We were quite happy shrink wrapping it at the airport. I have not seen this offered at airports at home, but perhaps they have it available somewhere out of sight.

Have you had any luck with your claim?