Where do women 40+ shop for clothes?

Steinmart in Leesburg, VA? I live about 15 minutes away and I've been there a couple of times, but haven't found anything. The outlet mall is right down the road from there so there's options there, but honestly, I don't find much there.

I see lots of things that interest me on their website.....I was hoping the same stuff was in the stores.....oh well, if I'm down that way, we will stop. 😊

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sigh. I hit the local outlet mall on my day off. Goal of buying one more business suit. Hit up Brooks Brothers first; nothing that fit. Next stop was Dress Barn; exactly the same stuff as was there a few month ago and was not worth buying back then, except for another pair of the black pants that I can wash and wear with my black jacket (looks close enough to be a suit) and throw out next month when they are worn out. Next stop was the Ann Taylor outlet: Success! Classic lightweight black suit for $176. And, there was a new Loft outlet there, so I went over. Scored 2 shimmer-thread tanks (for the weekend evening shifts) and a sleeveless top to go under the suit for $30. I had bought 1 short-sleeved version of one of those tanks at a "real" Loft at the non-outlet mall a month ago, so I knew they were good wearing.

I'm now thoroughly thinking my local Dress Barn, TJ Maxx and other similar stores around here just have the leftovers from all the Dress Barn, TJ Maxx you all visit...

Slidergirl -from what I recall, you live in a pretty casual part of the country. So maybe the stores (esp discount) don't get the suits that other parts of the country do?

The tjmaxx closest to my office isn't great, so I try to shop that store in other locations :-) Personally (age 43) I shop at Sierra Trading Post, Nordstrom (online) and occasionally Nordys Rack. I don't like malls so don't travel to shop in one but I'll go there for returns if necessary (just ordered a bunch of linen from Neiman Marcus and JJill clearance). Also thrift stores - again, I shop around - some are good and others not so much....

Slidergirl--I wore suits in my corporate life (oh how I don't miss it!). Did a lot at Ann Taylor & surprisingly JCPenney. They carry the LeSuit & Kasper brands. Our Dress Barn is hit or miss too, we're also in CO, but our TJMaxx, Ross, Marshalls & SteinMart & (thank heaven) Sierra Trading Post are usually pretty good.

I'm kind of dressing in reverse again - as a programmer, I was pretty darn casual - even stayed in PJs when working from home :eek: Switched to my 2nd career in hospitality where front-of-house positions must uniforms or, if in management, suits. So, here I am hunting for suits that I HATE to wear, but if I want a job, gotta do it.

Yep, I live in casual land, a mountain resort. No place in town has a jacket required, just clean jeans... So, I understand that the usual outlets/discount houses may not have the inventory. But, one can dream... I found a suit down at Target last Spring - lasted about a month before it started looking really bad. I'm looking for one more suit now, that isn't black, grey or blue. Nothing so far at the places I've gone to. I have to wear that thing 9-12 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, so I need a little more variety in my life (and time to take to the cleaners!).

Oh - we just got a brick-and-mortar Sierra Trading Post a 30 minute drive away! Not near the selection online, and mostly all casual outdoor wear.

Now you know why I still "rebel" against "dress codes" on cruise ships!!!

Edited by slidergirl

Oh - we just got a brick-and-mortar Sierra Trading Post a 30 minute drive away! Not near the selection online, and mostly all casual outdoor wear.

See if they will let you return online items at their retail locations. If so, take advantage of their free ship-to-store, then you can try them on there, and return whatever you don't want in person right away.

See if they will let you return online items at their retail locations. If so, take advantage of their free ship-to-store, then you can try them on there, and return whatever you don't want in person right away.

Sounds like a great idea to me:D

Slidergirl - do you read the blog Corporette? It's mostly for lawyers (and Big Law at that) but they do have some interesting fashion finds - they do a suit of the week, and often highlight various suits on sale. I don't have to wear suits but enjoy a lot of the dress finds. They do at least one piece of clothing a day - Monday is usually a really high end $$$$ product and it goes down in price until Frugal Friday;)

Sounds like a great idea to me:D

Slidergirl - do you read the blog Corporette? It's mostly for lawyers (and Big Law at that) but they do have some interesting fashion finds - they do a suit of the week, and often highlight various suits on sale. I don't have to wear suits but enjoy a lot of the dress finds. They do at least one piece of clothing a day - Monday is usually a really high end $$$$ product and it goes down in price until Frugal Friday;)

never heard of it. But, thanks for the pointer! I wish I did a back-of-house job so I could do mix & match (did it temporarily last summer, loved the clothes, hated the job). So, I'm stuck in suits...

Next month when I do my trek down to the Big City, I'll have to stop by STP - it's conveniently located about a mile off the interstate on the way to one of my "monthly chore" stops. When I was there last time, no clothes, but an Eagle Creek International Load Warrior struck my fancy at $129 - I had to run myself out of there before I bought it ;)

We drove down to the Chicago area for a 2 night shopping trip and the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale was our first stop. I go mainly because that is when they bring out their house brand cashmere sweaters. They are much better made and softer and thicker than designer names with $1,000 price tags. Found a beautiful funnel neck maroon pullover and a slightly Heather oatmeal colored open front cardigan that will round out my Arctic cruise wardrobe. I also tried on several brands new to me of their summer sale things for the spring hot weather cruise. I'll probably order more of the sleeveless NYDJ blouses that are on sale. Unlike Chico's they are both lightweight and not see through. Thought of you Hoyaheel on seeing all the sale linen but I have decided to try at least 30 days of Nutrisystem after this next cruise so decided to wait on buying any new summer bottoms. Well, I may yet buy a pair of the J Jill wide trousers in black and have them altered if I manage to drop a size. They did have quite a few suit separates out and on sale if anyone is looking. I was disappointed in that they only had a few summer pieces from LaFayette 148 in stock and none of the fall line.

On the return trip LL Bean was a necessary stop for my husband as he finally realized he just might need some thin, warm and wicking layers. And I found a great pair of binoculars for this a and future cruises. Both stores have fantastically helpful and knowledgeable sales staff. LL Bean is also now stocking nany more and nicer purses from wristlet and phone cases, handbags and cross bodies plus nice leather totes, satchels and back backs besides those in nylon or waxed canvas.

I'm 41, I shop mostly at yoox.com, which I believe ships to America and has free returns.

They have tons of different styles, good quality designer stuff at deep discounts because it's from last season. I mostly dress in a classic, timeless style which is heavily influenced by the lines of 50s and 60s.

I'm a freelancer, so my "wear out" wardrobe is small and I'm able to splurge on nice designer things. When I'm at home, I just waft around in maxi dresses.

Thought of you Hoyaheel on seeing all the sale linen

I got my JJill order yesterday - 4 items and I'll keep half - the black linen maxi and the white linen blend cardigan. The white linen empire short dress and white linen pants will go back. If I drive to the mall to return in person, I could check out the Nordstrom sale but I don't really need any fall items, so.....Tomorrow the Neiman Marcus sale order should arrive - more linen :o I'll report back when I've tried stuff on!

(The JJill black linen maxi is a wrap style - black definitely shows wrinkles less than the white - it won't bother me at all not to iron:D) It's this - but in black. http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=6M038I&rPFID=10&sk=M&h=M

I have 4 pr smartwool socks and 2 daypacks in my STP cart at the moment. Always have something :D

Last week's suit of the week on Corporette was from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale :D http://corporette.com/nordstrom-anniversary-sale-suit/

THANK YOU!!! I have 2 Halogen stretch suits that I know fit just right. I just went to the Nordy site and picked up this one!!! $139 for the set and I'll pick it up (and get the pants tailored) when I head down the mountain Thursday. Between this one and the new Ann Taylor one, I've got 3 suits to wear all year round and another one for winter.

I know this was off-topic for cruise fashion but I have to have work fashion so I can cruise and buy cruise fashion ;)

Edited by slidergirl

I know this discussion has been going on for awhile, but notice calliopecruiser is from Toronto, Canada, therefore many of the stores recommended are not available to us.

Although I don't live in Toronto, I do much of my shopping there. I would recommend the Bay, as they have many new labels and styles that suit women of all ages. As well, I suggest Melanie Lyne...great personal service on putting outfits together and all at mid-price point. Do shopping at Ann Taylor/Loft and White House Black Market. Yorkdale and Square One are great shopping destinations.

"Happy retail therapy" to all of us.

I know this discussion has been going on for awhile, but notice calliopecruiser is from Toronto, Canada, therefore many of the stores recommended are not available to us.

Although I don't live in Toronto, I do much of my shopping there. I would recommend the Bay, as they have many new labels and styles that suit women of all ages. As well, I suggest Melanie Lyne...great personal service on putting outfits together and all at mid-price point. Do shopping at Ann Taylor/Loft and White House Black Market. Yorkdale and Square One are great shopping destinations.

"Happy retail therapy" to all of us.

When I used to make my multiple trips up to Alberta, The Bay was always a place I had to go by to see if anything "up North" looked good and I couldn't buy "down South". I helped out the Canadian economy frequently there and at Lululemon, Lush (before they came near where I live in the US) and the MEC!

Excellent buy Slidergirl!

Really happy. I had tried this suit on when I was looking back in late Spring. I could only buy one at the time, and I ended up going with the micro check one. Now I get both that I liked!!

I got my JJill order yesterday - 4 items and I'll keep half - the black linen maxi and the white linen blend cardigan. The white linen empire short dress and white linen pants will go back. If I drive to the mall to return in person, I could check out the Nordstrom sale but I don't really need any fall items, so.....Tomorrow the Neiman Marcus sale order should arrive - more linen :o I'll report back when I've tried stuff on!

(The JJill black linen maxi is a wrap style - black definitely shows wrinkles less than the white - it won't bother me at all not to iron:D) It's this - but in black. http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=6M038I&rPFID=10&sk=M&h=M

I'll have to try on my linen trousers again to make sure the black wide trousers would fit. If that dress were just a skirt I'd probably try it but long dresses and I just don't work well thee days. Oh, yes, I'll wear my trousers out for dinner tonight. :) Did you see the Ivory long sleeve button down blouse not on sale? With a beige bra no tank is needed and it will sink wash easily. The finish is a very fine crepe.

And yes, please report back on the Neiman Marcus sales. I got 2 of my cashmere sweaters from their house brand last year. The classic line fits nicely on more mature figures while the modern cut is great for the tall and willowy. My closet has definitely taken on the Wisconsin winter look. I really need some summer basics for cruising and nicer tops for the local area when we hit July and August.

Edited by NorthernLite

I ordered 4 items from Neiman Marcus. 2 of the items in the package they sent were not the items I ordered :eek: The Eileen Fisher long linen crepe cardigan is just too long on me - I like it, but it would be unwieldy for my needs. I worry the petite would have awkward proportions for me in other places, plus it's not on sale ;) I didn't like the Eileen Fisher big linen shirt I ordered - it was not a good look on me (I tend to prefer cardigans to shirts for outer layers and this option did not change my mind) They've shipped out the proper replacement items (they say) so we'll see....

Still looking for a long black linen cardigan. I didn't look at the JJill crepe shirt - not really looking for shirts and not in ivory so it didn't pop up on my radar....

For cashmere, I got a few sweaters 2 years ago from Saks Off 5th - their house brand. I love!! But I rarely use cashmere so I try not to buy too much (it's just too hot in NC - and even our past couple fall/winter trips to Europe weren't very cold!)

Edited by Hoyaheel

I've almost totally switched from cashmere to merino wool. So much easier to care for

While I also love merino, I care for merino & cashmere exactly the same - handwash, block & air dry. So the deciding factor for me is style, price & warmth. I haven't dry cleaned anything in at least 5 years.....

I walk around the mall and check out the Women's section of department stores and stores like Charlotte Rousse, White|Black, and other stores that don't blaringly advertise teenager/college student attire. However, I pretty much dress the same as I did in my 20's...business casual to business professional. Just slightly different in the style, colors, and sizing.

While I also love merino, I care for merino & cashmere exactly the same - handwash, block & air dry. So the deciding factor for me is style, price & warmth. I haven't dry cleaned anything in at least 5 years.....

We found Green Cleaners here. They use non-organic but actually better for the environment materials to dry clean. Sweaters get cleaned with a silicon wash that leaves them fluffy, no pills and the same shape as they started out. Once we left the east coast the dry cleaning and husband's shirts laundering costs dipped dramatically! I've looked but haven'the seen much in merino wool I've liked lately. I also get several wearing out of most sweaters as I often wear a lightweight T from Wintersilks under them. The Ts I hand wash and hang dry.

You might want to look at the Anniversary Sale online as I saw a lot of summer sale including the sleeveless and bracelet length lightweight NYDJ tops and each comes in a lot of solid and prints. I just didn'the know the fit so tried on one that will go with my Sandy colored linen trousers come March. EF stuff is always a try on I think. I bought a boxy linen knit top last year in a large when her chart said I should take an XL because of the reviews on Nordstroms' site. I wore it to a family reunion I had not been to in years and I rapidly realized I needed a M. I am trying to shrink it now. Some of her pieces are wardrobe staples but some of her tunics and cardigans just hang or are so thin, on purpose, that one good sneeze would shoot a huge hole in them and they catch and run easily.

The Fall Anniversary Sale is about the seasonal sales and I do buy my share but that is when the house collection comes out too. The outside designers that do not want to sell below a certain point arrive right after the sale. There were NYDJ on sale mainly crops, skinny cuts and they had a stripped linen trousers jean style in beige and brown.

Edited by NorthernLite
I am no longer responsible for Samsung auto-correct!

I'm 51 and not thin. Some of my favorites:

Soma dresses (usually have to buy online because they don't carry many styles in stores).

Steinmart for tops and bottoms and costume jewelry...love their dot sales and coupons!

Chicos for casual pants.

Ann Taylor for slacks and blouses.

TJ Maxx and Marshall's for tops and dresses.

Desigual sometimes has really pretty knit tops/skirts/dresses but if you're short or curvy it's hard to find a good fit.

Target for solid color tshirts.