Where do women 40+ shop for clothes?

Talbots Plus petites and I can mix and match J Jill petites, reg Missy & plus sizes. I have the best luck with J Jill and I am 5'0" and very roundish ;)

And yes Chico's!!!! Petites & size 4 tops. Always a pain to order stuff and send back!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

We found Green Cleaners here. They use non-organic but actually better for the environment materials to dry clean.

We have green cleaners here as well - and I even can get a discount from my employer - but since hand washing my sweaters works great for me, I don't see a need to dry clean, "green" or otherwise;)

We have green cleaners here as well - and I even can get a discount from my employer - but since hand washing my sweaters works great for me, I don't see a need to dry clean, "green" or otherwise;)

Oh I used to hand wash a lot of things before we retired. But half the fun of being retired is letting some things go like washing sweaters. I still do the faster drying things and stuff that I can hang dry but anything that needs to dry flat I send out now.

Hey, any ideas on how to stretch the heel of new shoes out? My stretchers worked great on my new smoking slippers everywhere but the heel. I don't think I've ever seen heel stretchers. All ideas welcome!

How funny that in retirement (when you have more time?) you delegate more. Love the options!

I have these shoe stretchers - they don't *specifically* work at the heel, but I've found they are more adjustable than any others I've used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ND6VHK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How funny that in retirement (when you have more time?) you delegate more. Love the options!

I have these shoe stretchers - they don't *specifically* work at the heel, but I've found they are more adjustable than any others I've used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ND6VHK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes we delegate more dry cleaning but only have a house cleaner in every other week when before that was a weekly necessity!

Thanks! I have never needed to lengthen or widen a heel so never even thought about it until I tried the one shoe on after stretching for 24 hours. I'll try and find ones like those you linked this weekend. I ready don't want to order more so close to the cruise. Thankfully we have several cobbler types near us and a Memphis to dealer who sells shoe "appliances". I just hope that when we return Clark's has decided to put these out again this fall. I am seriously amazed at the quality of the suede.

I am 44 and wear a bunch of Eileen Fisher and J Jill. This week I scored huge with both brands. Belk had a sale on Eileen Fisher, so I bought three tops, a sleeveless jersey dress, and a pair of charcoal silk slouchy pants (love the slouchy pants). J Jill had the linen sale, so I went online and went crazy in their tall section: 3 pairs of linen pants, 2 sleeveless tunics, and 2 summer weight short sleeve sweaters. My J Jill package arrived today and the pants and sweaters fit great. I will have to do a little tailoring to the tunics, but that is not a big deal since I sew...love my serger. :D

Lisa

I agree that in my late 40s, it can be challenging to find the right balance between being stylish and being age-appropriate, without trying to look in my 20s or too matronly.

For career wear, I usually shop Ann Taylor (petites) for dresses, blouses, skirts, etc. For more casual wear, I tend to do the rounds at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, and sometimes Beall's Outlet. On occasion, I shop at Macy's (love the 1-day sales!).

I live in south Florida, so it is always hot. I love maxi dresses, because I have trouble finding shorts at an appropriate length; they are either way too short or way too long.

I just signed up for Stitch Fix, filled out my style profile, but have yet to set up any shipments. I like that I only pay for the items I keep. Has anyone used Stitch Fix, and if so, what was your experience like?

I learned about Stitch Fix from this board and thought I would look it up as I had never heard of it. Signed up and received my first box. At first look, I wasn't really sure the pieces were me. Tried everything on and fell in love. I bought all 5 pieces! Everything fit and looked so nice. I hope it wasn't beginners luck because I scheduled a "fix" for some fall pieces in September.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Charity stores! When I was working, I bought most of my suits and other work attire there. Now that I'm semi-retired, and have time, I shop for cocktail dresses and other cruise apparel. Fun! I love that I can see dozens of different brands, some of which I've never heard of or would not have found at a mall or department store, designer labels included. I am experienced enough to recognize good fabrics and construction, and for just a few dollars, I can try styles that I might not have considered my look. I just bought a BCBGMax Azria dress for about $5, perfect condition. Totally asymmetrical design, which is new for me. I love it. If I'm tired of it in a year, I can donate it back to a charity, and everyone wins.

Charity stores! ...... Fun! I love that I can see dozens of different brands, some of which I've never heard of or would not have found at a mall or department store, designer labels included.

Different strokes......for me, it is the exact opposite of fun. Some people like the treasure hunt idea and the thrill of finding the hidden gem (my step mother is like that), but I don't enjoy it and the lower price doesn't make it any better.

Interesting and wide range of topics under discussion.

As for charity stores...I donate all my clothes to charity stores. Winter outerwear is always donated to community groups.

I have never actually shopped at a charity store. Many of my friends make an afternoon of it and it's all about the "thrill of the hunt...". Mind you, I love shopping, and certainly love to hunt down a bargain, but not in a charity store. Each to their own, as long as it's fun, as shopping should not be a "chore".

as long as it's fun, as shopping should not be a "chore".

Shopping for clothes is always a chore. My unusual shape and large size makes it difficult to find what something that fits and I like. I already spend more on altering my pants than I do to buy them (they cost about $40, and I pay about $60 in alterations); I don't want to have to do that for everything I wear. I'm discovering more places (like Eddie Bauer and LL Bean) who carry plus sizes on line, but not in store, so I can't try them on before I buy.

I have had to give a little my quest for 100% natural (usually cotton), as it seems that for some reason that's gone out of fashion, at least for women's clothes (which is why I wear a fair number of men's clothes).

I hate shopping for clothes.

I have had to give a little my quest for 100% natural (usually cotton), as it seems that for some reason that's gone out of fashion, at least for women's clothes (which is why I wear a fair number of men's clothes).

1. Rodale (cotton, linen, hemp)

2. Eileen Fisher (cotton, linen, hemp)

3. JJill (cotton and linen)

One of the fashion blogs I read (Grechen's Closet) has been focusing on natural fabrics & sustainable fashion. The intersection of sustainable + Plus is still under-supplied, but there are options.

I am 58 and shop at some of the stores mentioned much earlier in this

thread.

I love Chico's and was there yesterday and found a pair of pinstriped

jeans that fit me beautifully...in the waist AND in the length and they

were 50% off:D.......so that was fun (for me). I then went to Beall's

an found a few tops too. That is one of my favorite stores for tops.

Here in Florida we are having a "tax exempt weekend":D.......it is sort

of tribute to "back to school" sales.....

As for height and weight.....I am about 5-3,1/2 and wear a 16/18,

large/extra large in most items (depending on the cut, etc).

I am also a QVC shopper and just found a brand on there whose pants

fit me perfectly......I got them last week in a black cherry color and

going back for the black......you can never have too many black slacks

(in my opinion)....no hemming needed...they have a rolled cuff at the

bottom and are sort of a twill jean....love them.:)

There are many, many stores out there for women of all ages.

Oh, from reading everything, I am in the category where shopping can

be fun;) (most of the time)......I have a harder time finding

bottoms than tops.....not sure if that happens for a higher% of women

or not.

1. Rodale (cotton, linen, hemp)

2. Eileen Fisher (cotton, linen, hemp)

3. JJill (cotton and linen)

One of the fashion blogs I read (Grechen's Closet) has been focusing on natural fabrics & sustainable fashion. The intersection of sustainable + Plus is still under-supplied, but there are options.

I had heard of Eileen Fisher, but it's not my style, and JJill, which I like (but I am bothered by selling plus sized clothes shown on size 6 models). I had not heard of Rodales, though. That's one of the things I have been enjoying about this thread.....learning new options that I hadn't heard of before.

Definitely, tops are much easier to get, than bottoms. The upside ...you can absolutely change your whole look with different tops and a few basic coloured bottoms. Works very well for me, especially on cruises.

I'm not a big on line shopper, unless very familiar with the sizing. Find sending something back that doesn't fit just too much of a hassle.

It is definitely harder for me to find bottoms especially pants. My stand by for most cruises include a couple pair of Eileen Fisher's stretch crepe straight leg pants in black and/or navy. I'd prefer wool but they are washable or they can be dry cleaned. Fold in half lengthwise and roll for packing. And I have finally given up on Chico's for casual pants and jeans. They fit well right until I get to the length. Everything for summer is pretty much cropped or jeggings. Some of us have serious A/C to deal with and want pants that hit our shoes. The few things I've been happy with like the very dark rinse denim trousers I can rarely get a second pair that is the same cut. Their quality control is non-existant. Buy a dozen of the same size of anything and none will be the same fit or length. The tops I have had better luck with but lately most are so thin they require camisoles or tanks. I guess I am too in tune to where they are cutting costs like everything is printed and not woven into the fabric. Not good when rolling sleeves or wearing a maxi dress with a slit. I have found my new brand for great fitting jeans and that is NYDJ. They have a high enough rise that nothing shows when bending over but they don't cut into my waist either. And they are long enough. I am 5'7" and all I want is 33". Is that too much to ask? Best of all, they make me look 5 pounds thinner without me feeling it.

Does anyone else wish for the return of Liz Claiborne from around 1986? Everything in cottons, linen, silks and wools and if it needed it there were decent linings? I'don't happily go back to ironing for her linen slacks.

I totally agree about pants being harder to find. For years, Talbots made some in a lightweight wool gabardine that were my work basics. I had many different colors and some in bootleg, straight leg, wider leg, etc.

A couple of years ago they changed their styles and the newer ones don't work for me. I had to search for an alternative. I have started replacing them with the Eileen Fisher washable crepe pants also. Really useful pants and they seem to wear really well (as they should for the price...)

I'm not a big jeans wearer but I find the Eileen Fisher skinny jeans also fit me well. I have one full-length pair and one cropped pair, and that's all I need, lol. I tried several fits of the NYDJ jeans but they either didn't fit me well or tended to bag out (too much spandex) after a couple of hours.

Finally, I like the Chicos Neema (Zenergy) pants and cropped pants for active travel. They are lightweight, can be washed and dried overnight, don't wrinkle, and are very comfortable for things like visiting ruins (which I do a lot of on my vacations!).

I just wanted to add another good source that had slipped my mind; the Sundance catalog & online, lots of very comfy, boho chic type items, & also, nice jewelry.

I agree about pants being difficult, I tend to find something that works & then buy multiples of it.

Nordstrom has it's own label legging that I love, it's thick enough to pass as a pant (I do wear something long enough to cover my bottom) but not to heavy, & they don't bag & sag even after a few days of wear.

I just wanted to add another good source that had slipped my mind; the Sundance catalog & online, lots of very comfy, boho chic type items, & also, nice jewelry.

I agree about pants being difficult, I tend to find something that works & then buy multiples of it.

Nordstrom has it's own label legging that I love, it's thick enough to pass as a pant (I do wear something long enough to cover my bottom) but not to heavy, & they don't bag & sag even after a few days of wear.

I LOVE Sundance offerings!!! I'm lucky enough to live 30 minutes away from their outlet store. It's an actual store with their unsold items, not the outlet store like other brands where they make cheap stuff just for the outlet. I have a bunch of shirts from Sundance - I'm a boho kind of girl. I have the jewelry, too, and sometimes I just browse to see what pieces I can, ahem, reproduce myself (I make beaded jewelry). My main pair of shorts the past 4 years have been the Peace Sanctuary shorts - great lasting wear. The Nightfall Cargoes are my "going out" in the winter pants - I've got both the black and grey velvet ones. I'm now salivating over the Forget Me Not jeans and Whisper Winds tee - have to earn a few more tips from guests to be able to buy these!!!

Another catalog that I get some things from is J. Peterman. Yes, J. Peterman.

I used to go to Sundance tent sales when I lived in Utah. Still have a runner I LOVE that I bought there. Alas, it's rolled in the storage room since it doesn't fit in my current house, but I cannot get rid of it. Also have a linen jacket I call my "Out of Africa" coat because it totally looks like something Isak Dineson (or, you know, Meryl Streep) would have worn:D I haven't worn that in a dozen years either, but cannot get rid of it.

Guest maddycat

For the best quality and uniform sizing in everyday tops I buy from LLBean. For dressy tops, slacks and capris I shop at Macy's. For jeans I buy Gloria Vanderbilt's Amanda jeans at Kohl's. Of course, I also shop at TJMaxx and Marshalls.

During the summer I live in capris. The rest of the year it's jeans. I only buy during sales and usually with a coupon.

Wow...good discussion going on.

First, I am one of those who had said shopping should not be a chore. Well, after reading some of the comments, I have to stop and and say I feel for those women who do have difficulty getting off the rack clothes... for whatever reason. They too want to look their best, but the struggle sometimes must overwhelm them. So to them I say, I hope you are getting some helpful hints from this discussion and don't give up. If need be, find a sympathetic friend to go shopping with you. Someone who has a good eye and will be honest in their opinion.

I am fortunate to be able to easily get clothes and I wear clothes well. I'm 5'7" but find long pants sometimes difficult to get. I too could go on about manufacturers and their cost cutting. I have a few pair of "treasured" slacks and since they were more flared than today's styles, I had them tapered from the knee down. Worked for me.

I can wear cropped pants most of the year, but not in the winter.