Where do women 40+ shop for clothes?

I did Stitch Fix once before our Bahamas cruise last year. I included in my profile that I live where it is HOT and and humid and that I was also looking for cute things to take cruising. I got some great pieces! She picked lighter weight items. If you are on Pinterest, you can link your Pinterest board of clothes you love to your Stitch Fix account.

Thanks to you as well for the tips about sharing the Pinterest board on Stitch Fix. I will also make sure I mention that I live in hot and humid south Florida, so my stylist should keep that in mind when picking out pieces for me.

I better get shopping! :D

I like to shop where I am traveling and pick up things that are reflective of my traveling life.

SteinMart has some cute things, good for cruisewear.

Lulu Lemon has fantastic daywear/exercise wear and I live in their day to night dressier yoga pants, fabulously cute jackets and nice T's and fun casual shoes.

Thanks for all your suggestions, especially Stitch Fix -- I had never heard of it. I also used to love Talbots, but no more, and that's one of the things that prompted my post today.

(And to be fair, I never said women of any age should be limited to where they can shop......my question was where about where you choose to shop)

I understand that but the point remains that there is no one best place, or even a few, where you can shop. As you can see by the responses, the stores cover a very wide range. Gap. Old Navy, Forever 21 would be places I would never think of but someone found something in Forever 21.;)

I love Bonton"s, they have about 7 stores under their umbrella, Carson"s, Bergner"s, Herberger"s to name a few. Online because none are near me, Boscov"s. Century21 has beautiful clothes, most designer but good prices. 6pm.com has some of the best clearance prices on clothes and especially shoes, name brand stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to shop where I am traveling and pick up things that are reflective of my traveling life.

SteinMart has some cute things, good for cruisewear.

Lulu Lemon has fantastic daywear/exercise wear and I live in their day to night dressier yoga pants, fabulously cute jackets and nice T's and fun casual shoes.

If you like Lululemon, check out Athleta. And also Title Nine.

I always wonder where women are finding this fantastic stuff at TJ Maxx; the one that is about a mile from my house has nothing but off-brand junk. I keep going back, thinking that I hit a bad day, but it ends up "same junk, different day." The nearest SteinMart is about 50 miles away, so I do not even think about going there. I plan one day a month where I travel down from the mountains where I live to "the big city" to do chores and pick up stuff. It is just easier to hit up one of two big malls and try to get in some "one stop shopping" along with my grocery run to Trader Joe's. I choose which mall depending on what I need to find, as both offer different stores. I do most of my "shopping" on the 'net. The outlet mall near my house sees some action, but I'm a picky shopper and am always aware the outlet products are many times poorly made pieces slapped with a label just for an outlet and not the actual product sold at retail stores.

I'm a fluffy 54 year old and I shop at a lot of places to include JC Penney, Nordstrom, Kohls, Outdoor World, Marshalls, Lane Bryant, Avenue, Ebay, Simply Be, Macys, Swimsuits for All and Bealls of Florida. Never do I buy anything that feel is not appropriate for my age.

I've seen a lot of clothing on Steinmart's webpage that I have an interest in....going to have to head to Northern Virginia on a field trip before the next cruise! :D

I understand that but the point remains that there is no one best place, or even a few, where you can shop. As you can see by the responses, the stores cover a very wide range. Gap. Old Navy, Forever 21 would be places I would never think of but someone found something in Forever 21.;)

The point is valid. But on the other hand, I suspect the OP is looking for places with a higher likelihood of finding clothes that are not geared mainly toward teens/twenty-somethings.

I've passed the point in my life where it's fun to look for a needle in a haystack. I'd rather go to a store where I have a chance of finding a whole outfit or even outfits than a place where I'm lucky to find one thing....

Being retired in a laid back city like Vancouver calls for plenty of casual wear. Lululemon, Bench, Eddie Bauer, MEC, Gap and Winners (equivalent to TJ Maxx) are my go-to spots. For an upcoming wedding, I'll be checking out The Bay (downtown or Oakridge), After Five and a couple of my favourite small independents.

Next month my Stitch'n'B**** group heads to the outlet centres south of the border for some power shopping and girl time. I'll be looking out for some of the stores that have been mentioned here.

My very favourite brand - Desigual, out of Spain - might appear to be for younger women. But careful selections have resulted in some very unique finds that draw compliments whenever I wear them.

Being retired in a laid back city like Vancouver calls for plenty of casual wear. Lululemon, Bench, Eddie Bauer, MEC, Gap and Winners (equivalent to TJ Maxx) are my go-to spots. For an upcoming wedding, I'll be checking out The Bay (downtown or Oakridge), After Five and a couple of my favourite small independents.

Next month my Stitch'n'B**** group heads to the outlet centres south of the border for some power shopping and girl time. I'll be looking out for some of the stores that have been mentioned here.

My very favourite brand - Desigual, out of Spain - might appear to be for younger women. But careful selections have resulted in some very unique finds that draw compliments whenever I wear them.

Vancouver is very much a "big city" version of my little town. That is probably why I feel so at home there when I visit!

I like Desigual - I got intrigued by the line when I was in Barcelona. Sometimes, one of their shirts with a pair of jeans would definitely be fun and ageless ;-)

The point is valid. But on the other hand, I suspect the OP is looking for places with a higher likelihood of finding clothes that are not geared mainly toward teens/twenty-somethings.

I've passed the point in my life where it's fun to look for a needle in a haystack. I'd rather go to a store where I have a chance of finding a whole outfit or even outfits than a place where I'm lucky to find one thing....

Just sitting here with nothing better to do so I took a quick look at all the responses. It looks like that there are plus or minus 50 different places that people shop. How is that for a higher likelihood of finding clothes?:confused::D

I'm going to be in downtown Vancouver 2 days next month before my Alaska cruise. Are any of those stores easy for me to find and get to? I love shopping in new cities (countries too).

Just sitting here with nothing better to do so I took a quick look at all the responses. It looks like that there are plus or minus 50 different places that people shop. How is that for a higher likelihood of finding clothes?:confused::D

Yes, but if certain places/brands are mentioned much more often, one might start there....

Yes, but if certain places/brands are mentioned much more often, one might start there....

And ones that are available near me will get tried even sooner :)

Also, I can look on line to see if a designer (or store) matches my style.....for instance, Desigual neither matches my personal style nor my body type, so I won't pursue that as an option.

Edited by calliopecruiser

The OP asked where women 40+ shop for clothes. Now that she has some ideas, she can sort through them. ;) We don't actually have to shop for her.

Find a LuLaRoe consultant! Good quality. Not too old; not too young. Not all covered in frills and ruffles and stuff. Love it. :)

My friend from work is a new LuLaRoe consultant. I bought a red Lindsay jacket to wear with a black dress for the cruise, but haven't worn it yet. Everyone says that their clothing is the most comfortable you have ever worn. They have some very nice skirts too that would be nice for dinner.

I'm a fluffy 54 year old and I shop at a lot of places to include JC Penney, Nordstrom, Kohls, Outdoor World, Marshalls, Lane Bryant, Avenue, Ebay, Simply Be, Macys, Swimsuits for All and Bealls of Florida. Never do I buy anything that feel is not appropriate for my age.

I've seen a lot of clothing on Steinmart's webpage that I have an interest in....going to have to head to Northern Virginia on a field trip before the next cruise! :D

Steinmart in Leesburg, VA? I live about 15 minutes away and I've been there a couple of times, but haven't found anything. The outlet mall is right down the road from there so there's options there, but honestly, I don't find much there.

I'm looking at this & realize I never called out Athleta & Lulumon. I'm actually wearing an Athleta skort & shirt right now [emoji16]

Funny. I'm sitting here right now wearing an Athleta shirt and running shorts right now!!! 83 degrees inside my house at 10:45pm (no A/C), so I'm trying my best to stay as cool as possible.

The OP asked where women 40+ shop for clothes. Now that she has some ideas, she can sort through them. ;) We don't actually have to shop for her.

Huh? Why would you say that? I certainly didn't indicate anyone had to shop for her.

At 49, I shop mostly at Nordstrom, Garnet Hill, J Crew, Ann Taylor Loft, & Target (they've got great basic tanks & tees, chambrey shirts... oh, & Banana Republic...

I've also found a few basics at Old Navy from time to time, & like Athleta esp. for their sundresses.

I don't particularly enjoy shopping, so when I find something I like, I'll buy multiples of it...

I think as knowing your body type, what suits it, & what you're comfortable in is key... & of course everyone has their own style, some people probably think mine is a bit boring, but that's ok :)

I am 60 plus and a have been a Chicos girl for many years. For me my whole cruise wardrobe is made up of a few key black travelers pieces that I can combine with a number of very light dressy jacket like blouses and scarf like wraps. I can swap out the blouses and wraps that I wear over a sleeveless black top and my basic black pants. One of my key pieces is a black wrap that I can dress up or down with jewelry. These outfits are my evening wear and work for formal night as well. I Love these Chico Traveler outfits as nothing wrinkles.

The rest of my wardrobe is from Chicos as well. I do not like to shop so this store and catalogue work for me. Most of my more expensive jackets have been bought when I have a 50 percent discount coupons or I find them on sale. :)