First timer - a few questions

jcollin

Hi,

Two families (3 teenagers) going in August. Can the kids sign and sail cards be loaded with a certain $ amount and once it's gone they can't charge anymore? We have 3 balcony rooms, do the partitions in between open so we all be on there together? How do people stay in touch with their kids when on the ship? We plan to meet for dinner but what about during the day? Can you make reservations b4hand for the shows? I probably have more but lets start with this.

Thanks

Hi,

Two families (3 teenagers) going in August. Can the kids sign and sail cards be loaded with a certain $ amount and once it's gone they can't charge anymore? We have 3 balcony rooms, do the partitions in between open so we all be on there together? How do people stay in touch with their kids when on the ship? We plan to meet for dinner but what about during the day? Can you make reservations b4hand for the shows? I probably have more but lets start with this.

Thanks

Set up charges at Guest Services. Not all balconies open and never heard of 3 in a row opening. No resis for shows.

You can load a limited amount of money on a S&S card and you can reload it as you want.

We have seen more than 3 balconies open in a row. We have had Spirit class aft balconies numerous times. They would never open any of ours. Each guest services has a chart of what they can and cannot open.

No reservation needed for shows as it is first come first seated.

Enjoy your cruise.

Warning!! Highly addictive

Two families (3 teenagers) going in August. Can the kids sign and sail cards be loaded with a certain $ amount and once it's gone they can't charge anymore?

I have done this many times, simply gone to guest services and loaded their accounts with cash and then told them the amount they had available daily to spend. I set them at $20. Not once did they over spend their $20 and last cruise I just told them they had a limit and they really had full charging rights.

We have 3 balcony rooms, do the partitions in between open so we all be on there together? Sorry, never 3.

How do people stay in touch with their kids when on the ship? We use 36 mile frs radios, but if they get the hub app on the dream before my March cruise I will gladly switch to the phones.

Can you make reservations b4hand for the shows? No, sorry

Most everyone has already supplied the correct answers to your questions... I just wanted to second the poster who gave you fair warning about cruises becoming addictive. ... :D

Bon Voyage and Enjoy Your Cruise!

Hi,

Thanks

Sounds like fun!

Guest Services can load the cards for you - no problem. We have done this as well.

When we have had 3 balconies in a row, AND when all of the partitions are open(able), yes we have had them all open together...kids loved going from room to room on the outside of the ship. We did this on the Valor and the Breeze. Remember to ask your steward EARLY on the first day to open them if you want them open - if I recall, there was a certain little holding device required to lock the partitions in the open position - and there are a limited number of them on the ship. So ask early, and know that once they are opened, they stay opened. No more walking out of the shower in your birthday suit with the curtains open :eek:

We have always done the cheap FRS type radios, they tend to work sometimes...remember you're on a steel ship and no matter what the radio says in miles, they are all pushing the maximum legal wattage which is 500mW - and that's a pretty low transmitter. You aren't going to talk clearly from Lido to someone inside in the main lobby, but 2-3 floors max usually works. Honestly I can't wait to try the HUB App on the Breeze next May - I have a feeling that will be a communication game changer for our family.

Finally, no reservations needed for the standard shows on CCL. Some of the newer ships have the Thrill Theater and the Vista has the IMAX theater that requires tickets, but the comedy and Broadway shows on CCL do not require reservations.

Can I ask what ship you will be going on and what Itinerary? Maybe I can help with some pointers.

Regarding the balcony partitions. It depends on which ship. Some combinations can not be secured in the open position. Spirt class ships the balcony door affixes to the rail so multiple partitions can be opened. Other classes affix to the wall so limited number can open.

On most ships you will need to go to guest services with someone from each stateroom and make the request. On other ships the room steward is able to fulfill your request.

While we are here to answer your question you might want to peruse the Carnival FAQ too. There is information on there you might not think to ask.

Have a wonderful cruise.

If you all have smartphones/tablets, and you're sailing on a ship that has the HUB app available, there is a chat feature you can buy. I think it's $5 per device. We used it on the Freedom, and it worked *most* of the time. LOL

Edited by watermelonqueen99

If you all have smartphones/tablets, and you're sailing on a ship that has the HUB app available, there is a chat feature you can buy. I think it's $5 per device. We used it on the Freedom, and it worked *most* of the time. LOL

Yes $5 per phone for the entire cruise. It is texting. Obviously you need at least two phones! My neighbor did this and they said the texts do not arrive "instantly" and many times they had to relaunch the app for new texts to come in. Sounds like more hassle than it is worth.

1) What is the average age on a Carnival ship ?

30's to 50's but lots of kids certain times and older folks as well.

2) What is the average size of an Ocean View and of a balcony on a Carnival ship ?

185 sq ft balcony cabin and 220 oceanview.

Edit: this posted weird!

Edited by crusinpsychRN