What to do in Skagway after train ride?

Heather1972

Hi all -

After doing the Chilkoot train, yukon territory and dog sledding, looks like we'll have a 2 to 3 hours to spend in Skagway. I'm going to be HUNGRY after the 8 hour excursion. Suggestions on where to eat? Things to do - cheap!

And for dessert, stop by the Alaskan Fudge Company to experience a multitude of fudge combinations. In all of our world travels, it is the best fudge we have ever eaten. We always bring some home.

I second the fudge recommendation. I had the same Chilkoot excursion and chose to be dropped in town with about four hours left before re-boarding.

I didn't get any meals to eat but just wandered the streets - there are several small museums tucked in between or behind some of the shops with some beautiful exhibits of Skagway's native and gold rush history, and lots of interesting shops beyond just typical touristy souvenirs.

It's been a couple years since I was in Skagway last, but to tack on to this thread, do many of the businesses close at 5? Our train ride arrives back at 4:30 if I'm not mistaken, and it'd be great to take my old lady out for some retail therapy after being stuck with me and my parents for the entire day.

It's been a couple years since I was in Skagway last, but to tack on to this thread, do many of the businesses close at 5? Our train ride arrives back at 4:30 if I'm not mistaken, and it'd be great to take my old lady out for some retail therapy after being stuck with me and my parents for the entire day.

You may be paying for A LOT of "retail therapy" if your "old lady" sees this post! :eek:

Hi all -

After doing the Chilkoot train, yukon territory and dog sledding, looks like we'll have a 2 to 3 hours to spend in Skagway. I'm going to be HUNGRY after the 8 hour excursion. Suggestions on where to eat? Things to do - cheap!

You will get lunch as part of your tour, but if you are still hungry after that and can't wait until dinner on the ship, I agree that Skagway Brewing is good.

We were there July 13th. I noticed most of the shops closed at 6. Some of the larger ones closer to the ships were open later, so I would skip those and hit them on the way back if you want to get to more shops. Not sure about restaurants.

Looked up alaskan fudge company and it is showing only in Juneau? Where is it located in Skagway? Will be there this September and would love to get some! Thanks for the directions!

Pooh

Here is the website for the Alaskan Fudge Company in Skagway:

http://www.alaskanfudgeco.com/Skagway_Fudge/Welcome.html

7th and Broadway in Skagway.