Is $8 enough for an alcoholic beverage

andrek

Hello All, we just signed up for an Alaska Cruise in April 2017. We got the Explorer 4 package which includes the signature beverage package. My question is did you find the $8 was enough to cover most alcoholic drinks and other beverages? What exceptions did you find? I know that if it is over $8 you have to pay for the whole drink, not the difference. My concern is that the prices will go up next year and we will be limited to beer and coffee drinks.

We usually drink gin and tonic, wine, Johnny Walker Black Label, Rum and Tequila drinks.

Thanks for any help,

Andrea

Hello All, we just signed up for an Alaska Cruise in April 2017. We got the Explorer 4 package which includes the signature beverage package. My question is did you find the $8 was enough to cover most alcoholic drinks and other beverages? What exceptions did you find? I know that if it is over $8 you have to pay for the whole drink, not the difference. My concern is that the prices will go up next year and we will be limited to beer and coffee drinks.

We usually drink gin and tonic, wine, Johnny Walker Black Label, Rum and Tequila drinks.

Thanks for any help,

Andrea

The $8 max usually covers most drinks using their "well" liquors. If you want anything above that it usually exceeds the max limit. Johnny Walker Black may be above the max but not sure since we don't drink scotch. Most daily drink specials are okay. You should be okay. We like Bourbon so we had Jim Beam doubles on the rocks and that counted as two drinks each toward the 15 max. Anything above Jim Beam was above $8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for any help,

Andrea

Everything except super-premium liquors are covered. And, the last time drink prices were raised, the limit was also raised.

Thanks for any help,

Andrea

We have had the SBP in the past, as a purchase and as a perk. The package covered everything that we like, including Tanguery and Blue Sapphire gin and tonics Crown Royal and coke, fruity blender drinks and margaritas, etc. Wine covered was house wine, Cabernet and Chardonnay for sure. You will definitely enjoy this nice perk. One of the things we did every evening before retiring, was pick up bottled water from a bar for our room.

Thank you all for your feedback. I really wish I had the drink pricelist but that may be out of date by the time we leave. It sounds like most of the things I like will be included.

Andrea

Thank you all for your feedback. I really wish I had the drink pricelist but that may be out of date by the time we leave. It sounds like most of the things I like will be included.

Andrea

Johnny walker black is a top of the line scotch any where you order a scotch:eek: So keep that in mind!! But do enjoy your cruise and cocktails Happt sailing:)

8 $ was enough - I just missed a better wine selection (wine by the glass). I remember there were just 6 wines unter 8 $ (try to remember, 3 whites, 2 red, 1 blush) and the Riesling was terrible :D.

I like that speciality coffee was included - at other cruise lines speciality coffee is not included at their really expensive package!

8 $ was enough - I just missed a better wine selection (wine by the glass). I remember there were just 6 wines unter 8 $ (try to remember, 3 whites, 2 red, 1 blush) and the Riesling was terrible :D.

I like that speciality coffee was included - at other cruise lines speciality coffee is not included at their really expensive package!

That is too bad about the wine. We have the Explore4 and the only alcohol I really drink is wine at dinner.

Edited by Jade13

That is too bad about the wine. We have the Explore4 and the only alcohol I really drink is wine at dinner.

That's our problem with the beverage package, too. If between us, we are allowed 30 drinks at $8 each, that's a potential value of $240.00 per day. But we can't "trade" any number of drinks for a bottle of wine. I prefer the promos that just give a beverage card. Not "worth" as much on paper, but to us that's definitely worth more.

That's our problem with the beverage package, too. If between us, we are allowed 30 drinks at $8 each, that's a potential value of $240.00 per day. But we can't "trade" any number of drinks for a bottle of wine. I prefer the promos that just give a beverage card. Not "worth" as much on paper, but to us that's definitely worth more.

I made it a point when I last talked with my PCC to point out the superiority of the Princess beverage package that gives a 40% discount on wine bottles.

We just rebooked out Spring 17 cruise and picked up the $xplore4 package. We fully intend to bring four to six bottles of wine on board. I'm more than happy to spend $20 for a bottle ashore and $18 for corkage. For $38 I get a bottle that would cost me nearly a hundred on board.

We do room service for most of our meals. We can carry a cocktail back to the room for our Happy Hour. Having our own wine works well since we don't have to go back for wine. Besides the by the glass wines aren't particularly appealing.

Just a little side note about wine prices. The wine list varies from restaurant to restaurant, but you can get any bottle from any restaurant simply by asking. We found an Italian red in Canaletto that we liked and it was low priced ($23-26) so we asked the wine steward to get that for us when we were eating in the MDR. No problem- just took a little longer to get it. Well worth it.

Just a little side note about wine prices. The wine list varies from restaurant to restaurant, but you can get any bottle from any restaurant simply by asking. We found an Italian red in Canaletto that we liked and it was low priced ($23-26) so we asked the wine steward to get that for us when we were eating in the MDR. No problem- just took a little longer to get it. Well worth it.

That's good to know. The Pinnacle wine waiter was pissy about getting a wine from our package, so rather than start another whole bottle close to the end of the cruise, we just got wine by the glass (definitely more than $8).

Sometimes it's just easier to go with the flow, I guess, but I'm sure it impacted your overall experience in the Pinnacle Grill; we ended up with a great bottle of wine in the Pinnacle Grill (before we discovered the Canaletto wine list), but it cost us over $80. I like Italian reds, and Canaletto was the only venue that had decent, good, reasonable Italian table wine (like we like). We'll be dining in the Pinnacle Grill at least once on our upcoming cruises, and we'll check the wine list for Canaletto and order what we want.

im a liitle confused???? KK says that grey goose is covered at $7.95 but thats before the 15% charge isnt it?

i thought the $8 price had to include the 15%, hope im wrong as that will bring more choice

thanks

im a liitle confused???? KK says that grey goose is covered at $7.95 but thats before the 15% charge isnt it?

i thought the $8 price had to include the 15%, hope im wrong as that will bring more choice

thanks

Yes, you are wrong. The menu price must be $8 or less. The service charge has already been taken into account.

From the Rogerjett menu I counted 199 items (not including beer buckets) and of these 34 were outside the price limit. So about 83% of the items are eligible for the package.

The biggest trouble area is wine by the glass - of the 20 listed 11 are out of bounds so almost half.

That Remy Martin Louis XIII must be some pretty special stuff at almost $100 a glass. :eek:

Yes, you are wrong. The menu price must be $8 or less. The service charge has already been taken into account.

Meaning Black Label, at $7.25, is covered. Looking forward to that! Just like a Malibu and Coke will be covered too. Any insight on how they'd handle a double or a 'heavy pour'?