Question about pool water

Presentation

The pool water on our cruise was sloshing around a lot. I asked if they use ocean water in the pools and confirmed they did.

Why don't they use fresh water in the pools?

Salt water a bit more plentiful? Much easier to obtain for cleaning and refilling? Less chlorine smell? And using a chlorine generator with salt water enables the pool to create its own. In a manner speaking.

So, in a word. Money. :)

Salt water a bit more plentiful? Much easier to obtain for cleaning and refilling? Less chlorine smell? And using a chlorine generator with salt water enables the pool to create its own. In a manner speaking.

I don't know of any ship that uses a chlorine generator to chlorinate their salt water pools. Every ship I know uses liquid chlorine whether the water is salt or fresh.

Given the requirement to drain and clean the pool weekly, the cost to produce or buy fresh water for the pool is not warranted.

Additionally, if the ship is outside 20 miles from shore, and using salt water, the pool can be switched to "flow through" mode, where sea water is continuously pumped into the pool, and the overflow goes out the rim gutter and back to the sea. In this mode, no chlorination is required, since there is no recirculation of the water. However, when in flow through, and the ship returns within 20 miles of shore, the pool must be drained or switched to recirculation mode, and chlorination started, which requires closing the pool for an hour or two until chlorine levels are correct, so unless there are more than one sea day in a row, ships will generally stay on recirculation mode even with sea water.

I don't know of any ship that uses a chlorine generator to chlorinate their salt water pools. Every ship I know uses liquid chlorine whether the water is salt or fresh.

Given the requirement to drain and clean the pool weekly, the cost to produce or buy fresh water for the pool is not warranted.

Additionally, if the ship is outside 20 miles from shore, and using salt water, the pool can be switched to "flow through" mode, where sea water is continuously pumped into the pool, and the overflow goes out the rim gutter and back to the sea. In this mode, no chlorination is required, since there is no recirculation of the water. However, when in flow through, and the ship returns within 20 miles of shore, the pool must be drained or switched to recirculation mode, and chlorination started, which requires closing the pool for an hour or two until chlorine levels are correct, so unless there are more than one sea day in a row, ships will generally stay on recirculation mode even with sea water.

thanks for the info very interesting

Even a pool using a salt generator pool needs a dollop of liquid chlorine and acid on occasion. Also the plates are a PITA to clean with acid.

Edited by SadieN

The pool water on our cruise was sloshing around a lot. I asked if they use ocean water in the pools and confirmed they did.

The water sloshes when the ship rocks, has nothing to do with what kind of water it is.

Because you won't know if you're tasting sea water or pee water.:D:D:D

Even a pool using a salt generator pool needs a dollop of liquid chlorine and acid on occasion. Also the plates are a PITA to clean with acid.

We purchased a home with a salt water pool 2 years ago. Checking chemicals weekly, I have only added salt so far. Nothing I have read mentions adding liquid chlorine at any time. Have not needed to clean the plates, and they are about 6 years old.

Am I missing something, or just been lucky?

We purchased a home with a salt water pool 2 years ago. Checking chemicals weekly, I have only added salt so far. Nothing I have read mentions adding liquid chlorine at any time. Have not needed to clean the plates, and they are about 6 years old.

Do you have a salt water pool or a pool with a salt cell that produces chlorine?

Edited by First and Ten

You've been lucky to live in a place that does not have hard water or are refilling your pool with water from a softener. We had a very similar experience to you when we lived in TN, so much so that the first thing I did when we moved to south TX was install a saline chlorinator on our pool. The plates constantly caked up and it got worse and worse (we don't have to dump our water in the winter). After 2 years and 3 systems, I gave up on it and went back to tabs.

We have EXTREMELY hard water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have EXTREMELY hard water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Then I would love to know what system you have. Just back from a 7 Alaska cruise which included 2 days up front and back in Seattle. My pool is a mess cause the tabs don't last that long.

I'm tempted to start a new thread titled: "Why do they use sea water in the toilets" and then in the post complain that "the vacuum sound wakes me up at night and does not handle female products as well"

Edited by nealstuber