Show times Vs Dinner times on Voyager

Could anyone tell me how dinner times coincide with the shows onboard?

We are undecided what to do in relation to dinner time slots.

Are the dinner schedules flexible at all if we chose the main dining as I believe you are allotted the same table each evening :confused:

We also have 2 teenagers travelling in our group with food allergies so this also needs to be taken into consideration with possibly pre-ordering dinner for the next evening.

We are going on the Voyager 13th Dec 2016.

Any info very much appreciated :D

I can't help you as we're going on our first cruise with Royal Caribbean too. The web site is certainly confusing and I thought Mytime Dining was the same as Anytime Dining on Princess where you just rock up to the door when you're ready. It looks like you need to book to eat in the MDR. I hope someone comes along who can explain everything.

I have been on Voyager a few times and will try to address both your posts...

The show times are designed around the traditional dining times. Your daily compass (like the ships newspaper) will tell you what the show times are each day for one who have early dining or late dining. If you have MyTime you can go to either. This is not something you need to worry about, it will make sense and be no problems once you board.

If you're booked for one of the traditional times no there is not any flexibility in the main dining room, but you can choose to eat in the windjammer or a specialty restaurant on any given night.

You should register your sons allergy status with the special needs department and also speak to the head waiter on the first day.

MyTime is not designed as 'rock up whenever you want', it's designed as 'you have way more choices of time that the traditional early or late'. That said, you can choose not to make reservations, like a land restaurant you may then have to wait until a table becomes free.

Are the dinner schedules flexible at all if we chose the main dining as I believe you are allotted the same table each evening :confused:

Depends on your definition of flexibility. The doors to the MDR are usually closed until your dinner time so you can't usually go early, but you can arrive up to 15-30 min late. On some ships they then close the doors to the MDR or they don't expect you. If you are not going to show up, tell your waiter the previous night as a courtesy.

... Are the dinner schedules flexible at all if we chose the main dining as I believe you are allotted the same table each evening :confused:...

If you a want flexible dinner time, it's best to switch to My Time Dining.

If you want MTD, YOU will have to schedule your evening meal around the showtimes. If you choose traditional, you will never have to wonder or schedule shows...Early/main seating goes to the after-dinner show. Late seating goes to the before-dinner show. Very easy! There are some "late night" shows that start after all seating are done.

I've noticed that there are some nights when there's one show in the evening, at 7:45 to accommoodate both early and late MDR seatings. We were late getting to the MDR for our 8:30 seating and folks that had early seating either came late and had no seats or left dinner before dessert was served. It's a choice one makes when on a cruise. It's all about priorities and making the most of your time. In this case, dinner in the WJ or MTD would probably be best. We just prefer MDR seating.

Depends on your definition of flexibility. The doors to the MDR are usually closed until your dinner time so you can't usually go early, but you can arrive up to 15-30 min late. On some ships they then close the doors to the MDR or they don't expect you. If you are not going to show up, tell your waiter the previous night as a courtesy.

which will then throw a wrench into the service for the rest of your table as well as others your waiter serves

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We would like to eat dinner each night with my sister and her kids travelling with us so we will need a table to seat 8. Does my time dining cater for larger numbers or is the seating just pot luck as opposed to the traditional dining?

Edited by DAWSONS

.... but you can arrive up to 15-30 min late.... If you are not going to show up, tell your waiter the previous night as a courtesy.

The courtesy would be to show up for dinner at the assigned time. Arriving 15 - 30 minutes late is absolutely frowned upon - I don't know if you were kidding around or if you really believe it is OK to come to dinner 1/2 hour late, but it's not. :(

The courtesy would be to show up for dinner at the assigned time. Arriving 15 - 30 minutes late is absolutely frowned upon - I don't know if you were kidding around or if you really believe it is OK to come to dinner 1/2 hour late, but it's not. :(

It doesn't matter what I believe or what is frowned upon, it is what it is - people with traditional can and do show up a bit late sometimes. Granted, 30 min is really pushing it and in these days of more and more MTD, the table could be given away.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We would like to eat dinner each night with my sister and her kids travelling with us so we will need a table to seat 8. Does my time dining cater for larger numbers or is the seating just pot luck as opposed to the traditional dining?

My Time does have larger tables, but with a group that large it's probably best to make reservations as opposed to just showing up.

• 1 month later...

We are a group of 10 and and rang RCI to book 6 weeks in advance. We only got tables for that many people 3 of the 7 nights.

On Legend last year we had a table of 8 and got a group table every night as long as we were flexible with time.

We are a group of 10 and and rang RCI to book 6 weeks in advance. We only got tables for that many people 3 of the 7 nights.

On Legend last year we had a table of 8 and got a group table every night as long as we were flexible with time.

In my view large groups are much better off with traditional dining rather than my time. If you really want to stick with my time go t the dining room as soon as you can on boarding day and there will be someone there who can help you with making the rest of your reservations.

We have been on voyager twice and have another booked. We always use traditional dining.

With a group of that size, I suggest you go for traditional dining (either early or late seating). As others have mentioned most of the shows are scheduled to suit this (early seating late show or early show late seating)

Early seating often gets booked out so you may have to go on a waitlist.

With traditional dining, your waiters will get to know your group and their likes and dislikes (don't be afraid to ask for extras such as extra vegetables). They will serve without even asking. So especially with allergies, they will take care to meet your needs.

If you (or some of you) want to do something else on some evenings (for example a specialty restaurant or windjammers) or you have a late excursion with early dining there will not be a problem. Just let the waiter know the night before.

As you are a group if someone is late on a particular night you will probably know to tell the waiters not to wait so that should not be a problem either.

• 1 month later...

Hi DAWSONS, I have just returned from Voyager (loved it!) and we had 5:30pm Main Dining Room booking. Most of the tables were tables of 8. There were heaps of empty seats across a lot of tables on most of the nights. For anyone wishing to be seated at another session, they have to see if a party is not turning up (usually they allow 30mins but hopefully the party has already advised their waiter if they are not showing up). Your SeaPass card allocates your table number (check you all have the same table number) If you need to re-arrange anything check the Boarding Day Compass as there will be a specified time to speak with Dining staff. Enjoy!

We preferred the late dinner time with the early show, if you go for normal dining you have the same servers each night which given the food allergies should help as you shouldn't have to give the whole story each time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Andyinmacksville

Could anyone tell me how dinner times coincide with the shows onboard?

We are undecided what to do in relation to dinner time slots.

We also have 2 teenagers travelling in our group with food allergies so this also needs to be taken into consideration with possibly pre-ordering dinner for the next evening.

We are going on the Voyager 13th Dec 2016.

Any info very much appreciated :D

Forgot to mention that Voyager Shows were at 6:45pm and 8:30pm. One night it was just my husband and myself at the table so we only had entrée & main in the Main Dining Room and then straight to the 6:45pm show (not always possible, depends on timing of main meals and of course we would not attempt it if other diners were at the table with us). You can also view the Menu on the screens throughout the ship near the restaurant during the day so you can preview what the MDR Menu is for that evening.