Just curious what you use to keep time in port?

NoJolt4U

All the cruises I've been on - the ship changes time with the time zones! There's a notification the evening the time is changing to move your clock forward or back - this happened on our round trip cruise to Hawaii, Western Caribbean, Transatlantic cruises - various European ports - I have no idea what you guys are talking about saying the ships time never changes??? This would only happen if you don't change time zones. We've cruised Carnival and Princess.

In the Caribbean on closed circuit Carnival cruises, I have never seen ship time change with the time zones. I know they do something with TZ changes to Hawaii (I still think they "control" the time change and don't change it immediately as they pass through zones but do get on HI time, yes). No idea what they do on Euro or TA cruises (I'm sure they have to change it for convenience at some points). To be fair, most Europe cruises are not closed circuit, nor are Carnival HI cruises generally or a lot of other lines, and obviously, a TA implies open! Open cruises almost always have TZ changes, controlled or not. Closed often do not (varies by locale, circumstances, and probably line but "ship time" is a thing).

This may vary by line. I don't recall what other lines do in the Caribbean anymore (and it may have changed!) since Carnival is my brand of choice for those kinds of cruises. But we have almost never changed TZs on a Carnival Caribbean cruise. Stays in home port time (usually EST for us).

Edit - it seems common for cruises, CCL and Princess included, to change TZs in Alaska. I'm still not sure they stick 100 percent to what your phone would be in each port, but think it's a controlled TZ change.

Edited by berrieh

In the Caribbean on closed circuit Carnival cruises, I have never seen ship time change with the time zones. I know they do something with TZ changes to Hawaii (I still think they "control" the time change and don't change it immediately as they pass through zones but do get on HI time, yes). No idea what they do on Euro or TA cruises (I'm sure they have to change it for convenience at some points).

This may vary by line. I don't recall what other lines do in the Caribbean anymore (and it may have changed!) since Carnival is my brand of choice for those kinds of cruises. But we have almost never changed TZs on a Carnival Caribbean cruise. Stays in home port time (usually EST for us).

Edit - it seems common for cruises, CCL and Princess included, to change TZs in Alaska. I'm still not sure they stick 100 percent to what your phone would be in each port, but think it's a controlled TZ change.

When a ship goes from a US port on Eastern Daylight Time (EDT), to a Caribbean port that is on Atlantic Standard Time (AST), it gives the appearance that the ship isn't observing the difference in time zones, because no clock adjustment is needed. In other words, 2 pm EDT is also 2 pm AST. Perhaps this is what you've encountered. Being on a closed loop is irrelevant.

In the Caribbean on closed circuit Carnival cruises, I have never seen ship time change with the time zones. I know they do something with TZ changes to Hawaii (I still think they "control" the time change and don't change it immediately as they pass through zones but do get on HI time, yes). No idea what they do on Euro or TA cruises (I'm sure they have to change it for convenience at some points). To be fair, most Europe cruises are not closed circuit, nor are Carnival HI cruises generally or a lot of other lines, and obviously, a TA implies open! Open cruises almost always have TZ changes, controlled or not. Closed often do not (varies by locale, circumstances, and probably line but "ship time" is a thing).

They do indeed change times occasionally. Depends on the time of year. But you will have ample notice of the change. Fun Times, ship announcements, and the very large easily seen boards like this:

13880236_1346571812037061_3564251205141456758_n.jpg?oh=8e64256f88d01a45850f512fa1e91419&oe=5850CDCF

The only meaningful time for cruise passengers and crew for that matter when leaving the ship is the time displayed on the ships clocks as you prepare to go ashore. Matters little if you use an hour glass, watch or smart phone to show the time. If you are on the dock frantically waving at your ship as it disappears over the horizon all because you didn't sync your timepiece before going ashore, please take a bow. You messed up.

The ship always stays on ship's time which is the same as it was when you left port such as Miami. It will NOT change time to match the local time where the ship docks throughout the cruise..

Dangerous generalisation, Mrs Bob.

We've sailed dozens of cruises where ship's time is changed to local time. Just think of a trans-Atlantic crossing!!!

In the main, if a cruise includes just one port, mebbe two, outside its departure time-zone the ship's time doesn't change. If it strays further or for several ports outside the departure time-zone, it will switch to local time.

But even that is a generalisation - the only certainty is that passengers will get plenty of notification of any change of ship's time, or of any port where local time isn't the same as ship's time.

Getting it wrong can mean setting the alarm an hour too late - or an hour too early.

Or getting back to port an hour earlier than you need to - or just in time to see your ship sailing over the horizon.

As to what to use as a time-piece, that depends on how well you know your electronic devices and how technologically-inept you are.

The risks with an electronic device are mainly that it will change to local time without you knowing, or that it doesn't change when you though it would.

If you're as technologically-challenged as me, stick to a simple wrist-watch. Preferably one made in the nineteen-fifties and with a picture of Mickey Mouse on the face ;).

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

The ship always stays on ship's time which is the same as it was when you left port such as Miami.

It depends on the line. On the lines we have sailed - none of it Carnival - the ship's time is identical to the port time not to Miami time. We use an old fashioned wristwatch.

I don't care for wristwatches but I have an analog watch that attaches to my purse/beach bag/backpack. It's easy to change the time and cheap enough that I won't get upset if it gets stolen/lost/wet.

I can remember being on Caribbean cruises years ago where ship and port time might be different but I don't recall it happening any time recently. I just pay attention to my ship's daily newsletter and any signage when we exit the ship. Most importantly, when making independent arrangements, we plan to return at least one hour prior to the ship's all-aboard time.

OK I will say this one more time for the few that still don't understand and to clarify. ON CARNIVAL, in the CARIBBEAN, the ship stays on HOME PORT time.

I have been on Celebrity as well in the Caribbean which DID change time depending on where we were. I am posting the link to the Fun Times from the ship in order for some people to comprehend what I'm saying.

It was really fun in May when went to Honduras and they were 2 hours behind us. Went to LFK and had to keep comparing their time with ours to make sure we were back on time. They had to make lunch early by their time as it was closer to breakfast than lunch there.

I don't understand the confusion either. Geesh.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2293360

The ship always stays on ship's time which is the same as it was when you left port such as Miami. It will NOT change time to match the local time where the ship docks throughout the cruise. The issue becomes when what you describe happens - the phone automatically adjusts to local time which on Carnival will be incorrect. Other cruise lines may go on local port time, but Carnival does not. Wear a watch or Fitbit type thing and you won't have an issue.

OK I will say this one more time for the few that still don't understand and to clarify. ON CARNIVAL, in the CARIBBEAN, the ship stays on HOME PORT time.

I have been on Celebrity as well in the Caribbean which DID change time depending on where we were. I am posting the link to the Fun Times from the ship in order for some people to comprehend what I'm saying.

It was really fun in May when went to Honduras and they were 2 hours behind us. Went to LFK and had to keep comparing their time with ours to make sure we were back on time. They had to make lunch early by their time as it was closer to breakfast than lunch there.

I don't understand the confusion either. Geesh.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2293360

Due respect, Mrs Bob, but your very first sentence was a generalisation - and the OP hadn't even mentioned where or which cruise line they're sailing.

There's no mention of the Caribbean in the question - or in your first post, which makes it difficult for you to "say it one more time" :confused:

Carnival sail the world, so there will be places where even Carnival's ship time will change.

Hence my comment that your post was a dangerous generalisation.

But thanks for now being more specific ;)

For those of us that find comprehension hard I will post again for clarification. Maybe a picture will help YOU understand. They do indeed change times occasionally. But you will have ample notice of the change. Fun Times, ship announcements, and the very large, easily seen, boards like this:

13880236_1346571812037061_3564251205141456758_n.jpg?oh=8e64256f88d01a45850f512fa1e91419&oe=5850CDCF

Please feel free to help us understand again.

Sure. Looks like this was quite a few years ago. Miracle is no longer doing Caribbean cruises. Aahhh, never mind. This is not a Caribbean cruise, so yes it is possible you would change times.

When I first started cruising Carnival, we did change times depending on the port. As of late, Carnival no longer does this. At least not on any of the Caribbean cruises I have been on - either Eastern or Western leaving out of Miami. I don't know exactly when they changed, but it was sometime while I was cruising Celebrity.

You are correct in saying that time changes would be in the Fun Times and posted throughout the ship. Also as you debark to go ashore when you ding out. All of my Fun Times since I have started cruising Carnival again all day the same thing - stay on ship's time.

So the safest thing to do is NOT trust your cell phone to give you the correct time. Put it in airplane mode or however you keep it from updating the time UNLESS you are on a cruise where they tell you different.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Due respect, Mrs Bob, but your very first sentence was a generalisation - and the OP hadn't even mentioned where or which cruise line they're sailing.

There's no mention of the Caribbean in the question - or in your first post, which makes it difficult for you to "say it one more time" :confused:

Carnival sail the world, so there will be places where even Carnival's ship time will change.

Hence my comment that your post was a dangerous generalisation.

But thanks for now being more specific ;)

My bad. I guess it's because I said "Miami" that I was taking for granted that practically all the itineraries from there are cruising the Caribbean. I used that as an example because that's typically where I cruise from on Carnival.

Although I do use the clock on my iPhone, and I make sure it is set to the correct time (whatever that might be), and I make sure it is correct in settings so the time stays the correct time that it needs to be ...

I use the TIMER function on my phone. For example ... We are in port from 10a-6p. I want to be back on the ship at 5p. As I am getting off the ship, I verify the current ship time is 11:30am (I slept in then had a leisurely breakfast so I didn't get off the ship right at 10a : ). So... I set the timer on my cell phone for 5.5 hours

This is the timer, not the alarm clock.

My bad. I guess it's because I said "Miami" that I was taking for granted that practically all the itineraries from there are cruising the Caribbean. I used that as an example because that's typically where I cruise from on Carnival.

Thanks for coming back, Mrs Bob.

And no worries, we all have a tendency to consider only our own experiences ;)

Thanks for coming back, Mrs Bob.

And no worries, we all have a tendency to consider only our own experiences ;)

No problem. I can admit when I say something wrong, or if it didn't come across exactly how I thought it would, or whatever the case may be.

I have only done Caribbean cruises on Carnival so I forget that there are actually other ones out there and that people might not be referring to the same ones I am. It's automatic to talk about what you know. And when I say things that I know to be true, it does rub me the wrong way when others want to argue and I can get a little testy [emoji6].

Our experience has been - that the ship will notify you of the time change in the evening before you retire. The ships clocks, phone, tv, etc will reflect the time zone you are in.

In other words, the ship time you see - matches the port time. It's never been an issue to us.

Our experience has been - that the ship will notify you of the time change in the evening before you retire. The ships clocks, phone, tv, etc will reflect the time zone you are in.

In other words, the ship time you see - matches the port time. It's never been an issue to us.

They will in fact notify you if you need to adjust your clocks/watches. However, the ship's clocks will only adjust if the ship is observing the same time zone as where you are.

Example: on my Caribbean cruises on Carnival, they stayed on ship time even when in Roatan which was 2 hours behind us. The ship stayed on original Miami time, therefore, all the ship's clocks did not change. I had to plan our excursion accordingly.