Traditional pizza restaurant near Naples port?

fraj1

Knew somebody would mention Da Michele. One of the most famous pizza places on earth....and a huge disappointment to both DW and moi during a recent visit. You can find yourself waiting outside (move through the queue and get a number from the man just inside the door) for an hour. The pizza is very good and also quite inexpensive. But this place is famous because it has been run by the same family forever (or so it seems). But you sit at communal long tables and there are only a couple of basic pizzas (Margarita or Marinara) with no toppings! We have had better pizza from several unknown places around town (hard to get a bad pizza in Naples) and did not have to wait in the long queue.

Hank

I agree Hank but it is one of the big names that everyone knows and it's in the right location for where they're going so it makes sense in this case.

LOL Euro. Yeah, we hear you amigo. That is why DW and I waited (back in April) for about an hour to get crammed into this famous place :). But we did have the luxury of no other plans, the weather was cool and beautiful, and the conversation in waiting crowd (of about 50 folks) was fun. Would we return? Not likely unless we were taking other folks to show them the "experience."

Hank:)

Knew somebody would mention Da Michele. One of the most famous pizza places on earth....and a huge disappointment to both DW and moi during a recent visit. You can find yourself waiting outside (move through the queue and get a number from the man just inside the door) for an hour. The pizza is very good and also quite inexpensive. But this place is famous because it has been run by the same family forever (or so it seems). But you sit at communal long tables and there are only a couple of basic pizzas (Margarita or Marinara) with no toppings! We have had better pizza from several unknown places around town (hard to get a bad pizza in Naples) and did not have to wait in the long queue.

Hank

You say Da Michele was a huge disappointment, but go on to state, the pizza is very good and also quite inexpensive. I agree...the pizza is very good!

We arrived just after opening at about 11:30 and walked right in and shared a table with two Neapolitans, a mother and daughter. We enjoy dining occasionally with other travelers and locals while traveling in Europe...it just adds to the entire experience.

On a subsequent cruise, our CD recommended his favorite pizza restaurant which was located on a side street across from the port. It was raining and we opted not to walk to Da Michele and we paid the price. We should have walked to Da Michele because the pizza wasn't nearly as good. I'm sure there are other excellent pizza restaurants in Naples, but why chance it?

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

IMG_9372.jpg

Communal dining isn't all that uncommon in many places in Europe - especially the more casual types of food like pizza or tapas or a biergarten or even say, Asia where sometimes the food just rolls past on a conveyor and one takes off what one sees, or sitting at a sushi counter.

The only way a place like Da Michele can make it work (and it works, keeping a family business going that long!) is if they do a simple thing very well. They do. Trying to make many pizzas with different toppings while catering to big crowds would take too long. So long as it's fresh (sauce, dough, cheese) and hot out of the oven, it'll be amazing :D

Another thing? The types of toppings one sees on Italian pizzas *might* not appeal to visitors although they might try in some establishments. Again, this is a time when expecting what we get at home is best left....at home.

Enjoy Neapolitan pizza in Naples...it's going to be good. It won't be like Dominos or Pizza Hut or store bought (which you DON'T want!!) or even my beloved NYC pizza - which isn't even always good anymore (the Famous Ray's lie + the best is really in Brooklyn); it's real Neapolitan pizza...just sit down and enjoy being in the moment. :)

Buon Gusto

Edited by Host Bonjour
  • Like 1

Just kidding. My absolute favorite pizza is the Margherita. You cannot hide a bad pizza when it is a Margherita - you can hide a bad pizza when it is loaded with toppings. If I go to a new spot, this is the pizza I order to get a gauge of their quality.

Like with all things, you go to someplace "famous" and, while it may have been excellent when it started up, it now just rests on it's name...

Neapolitan-style pizza - my favorite type of pizza!!

Just kidding. My absolute favorite pizza is the Margherita. You cannot hide a bad pizza when it is a Margherita - you can hide a bad pizza when it is loaded with toppings. If I go to a new spot, this is the pizza I order to get a gauge of their quality.

Like with all things, you go to someplace "famous" and, while it may have been excellent when it started up, it now just rests on it's name...

Neapolitan-style pizza - my favorite type of pizza!!

Totally agree with every word of this - the best test of a pizzeria is to try a Margherita, and its my favourite kind of pizza too. :)

You say Da Michele was a huge disappointment, but go on to state, the pizza is very good and also quite inexpensive. I agree...the pizza is very good!

We arrived just after opening at about 11:30 and walked right in and shared a table with two Neapolitans, a mother and daughter. We enjoy dining occasionally with other travelers and locals while traveling in Europe...it just adds to the entire experience.

On a subsequent cruise, our CD recommended his favorite pizza restaurant which was located on a side street across from the port. It was raining and we opted not to walk to Da Michele and we paid the price. We should have walked to Da Michele because the pizza wasn't nearly as good. I'm sure there are other excellent pizza restaurants in Naples, but why chance it?

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

IMG_9372.jpg

I love that beer is the same price as a soda. My kinda town!

Thank u everyone ! My ship docks in the Commercial port - if we were at Da Michele for 11.30 opening time do you think we'd make it back to ship for a 1.30 pm excursion? How far is it from port? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank u everyone ! My ship docks in the Commercial port - if we were at Da Michele for 11.30 opening time do you think we'd make it back to ship for a 1.30 pm excursion? How far is it from port? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Perhaps, perhaps not. I think a fast walker can get from the restaurant to the port in about 15 min. We thought the service (once seated) in Da Michele was quite good....but getting our check took over 15 minutes despite a few of us making repeated (but polite) requests. The waiters (many of these guys have probably been working at the restaurant forever) priority is taking orders and getting the pizzas to the table while they are piping hot (all good). But, the basic rule throughout Italy is that when you need a fast check it will never happen :).

And since we are getting "beat up" by other posts, we will take a politically correct approach and "revise our remarks." Pizza here is very good (but not necessarily the best in Naples) and we do think its a place folks should visit at least once in a lifetime (just to say you were there).

Hank

My ship docks in the Commercial port - if we were at Da Michele for 11.30 opening time do you think we'd make it back to ship for a 1.30 pm excursion? How far is it from port?
It's three quarters of a mile on foot from Da Michele to the commercial area of the port where cruise ships dock. I would allow myself a half hour to walk it, however, including time to get to the ship and through security.

The only way to move things along at the restaurant is to ask for the check when the pizza is delivered to the table. This may or may not work, but if you're there at 11:30 I don't think it's a huge stretch to be out of there by 1 PM.

I haven't been to Da Michele, so I don't know how the restaurant is laid out, but it is usually fine to go to the till/front desk to get the check and pay there. It could save a few minutes if you are in a hurry.

I was going to suggest the same. I've done this in lots of restaurants in Italy when "leisurely" stretched into "late".

Had excellent margherita pizza at Di Matteo in May. Carry out window was all that was open. They were selling them as fast as they were made, so fresh and hot. Very short wait. 2 small pizzas and 2 sodas for around 10 euro.