Question about the Circular Quay area

We booked a hotel which is approx 500 meters from the OPT pier.

Read that it may be walked to even with luggage.

Is taking a taxi for such a short distance an option?

Sometimes I have occasional back pain that might prevent me from making the walk.

Thanks in advance.:)

It depends where it is. It may technically be an option, but due to the small and one way roads it may be a very long way around.

There is a taxi drop off at OPT, so technically it should be possible; more a question of whether it's viable. Also taxi drivers do not like very short trips like that, which can be another hurdle.

Let us know what hotel you have booked. That may help us give an opinion on how easy it would be to walk (with luggage) to the terminal. Also just make sure it is the OPT you are leaving from and not White Bay.:)

I see a few options here. A taxi driver may look at you strangely but be willing to help if you explain about back pain but normally Sydney taxi drivers are notorious for turning down fares like that which just waste their time and make them no decent money.

You options are notifying hotel concierge you are going on a cruise and ask them to watch some luggage as you make a relay to and from baggage drop off.

Other option is to get the cash you would pay for a taxi and speak to hotel management if it were to be permissible to have the porters or hotel concierge assist you take your luggage to the ship. Normally Australia is a non tipping country but given a request like this goes beyond their scope of employment then paying for such assistance from your friendly hotel may be the better way to go.

Or get a taxi and explain your reasons for not walking. Then offer to pay the driver double the fare. :) I think the driver would be happy with that. It won't be much and that might be cheaper and also easier for you than paying someone from the hotel to walk with you.

Let us know what hotel you have booked. That may help us give an opinion on how easy it would be to walk (with luggage) to the terminal. Also just make sure it is the OPT you are leaving from and not White Bay.:)

Four Seasons on George Street.

It appears that perhaps we could cross through the First Fleet Park, which would be more pedestrian friendly?

And I double checked to make sure it is OPT. I spotted White Bay on a map & it is quite a ways away. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by rumpelstiltskin

I see a few options here. A taxi driver may look at you strangely but be willing to help if you explain about back pain but normally Sydney taxi drivers are notorious for turning down fares like that which just waste their time and make them no decent money.

You options are notifying hotel concierge you are going on a cruise and ask them to watch some luggage as you make a relay to and from baggage drop off.

Other option is to get the cash you would pay for a taxi and speak to hotel management if it were to be permissible to have the porters or hotel concierge assist you take your luggage to the ship. Normally Australia is a non tipping country but given a request like this goes beyond their scope of employment then paying for such assistance from your friendly hotel may be the better way to go.

Great suggestions that I never would've thought of. Thanks!:)

I do understand the reluctance of cabbies to drive such short trips. It occurs globally, & after all, they are trying to make money.

I like another poster's suggestion of paying double fare for a taxi. The cabbie should be satisfied with that because he would make a decent fare with a very short drive.

I'm still hoping to be able to tough it out & walk to the peir.

Yes, the best way is to go left from the hotel until you reach the traffic lights opposite the park. Cross there, and go straight ahead. There is a path that veers off left through the park once you get closer to the Circular Quay buildings. Once that path joins the walkway around the edge of the Circular Quay wharfs you will be able to see the Overseas Passenger Terminal so just head straight to it. It's pretty well flat the whole way.

Check the walk out the day before if you can. If you do feel that you can't manage the walk with your luggage then talk to the hotel concierge, I'm sure they will be able to arrange something for you.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The weather may also be a factor, if raining the cab may be best, however, you are the only person who would really know if you can manage the walk or not with your bad back. I think the suggestions above give a range of options in case you cannot manage the walk with luggage but checking out the distance first may be most beneficial.

Edited by MicCanberra

Would Uber driver be as picky as a regular cab over short trips in Sydney?

By law a taxi isnt allowed to refuse you! Kindly remind them of that and take note of their badge. Circular quay is very flat. Walking in general isnt so much an issue

We often stay at the Four Seasons prior to cruising - it's a great location!

Very easy to walk to the ship as it's mostly all downhill, so if you suitcases are the type on 4 wheels like ours it's a breeze to get them to the ship.

Also part of the way you are under cover of the Carlisle Expressway so if it's raining it makes for a dryer walk.

Takes us just a few minutes to walk there from the hotel & the hotel has a ramp at the front that makes it easy to get your bags down to street level.

You then walk a few metres to the traffic lights, cross the street - then it's all smooth paved single level to the ship with no stairs or roads to negotiate!

We often stay at the Four Seasons prior to cruising - it's a great location!

Very easy to walk to the ship as it's mostly all downhill, so if you suitcases are the type on 4 wheels like ours it's a breeze to get them to the ship.

Also part of the way you are under cover of the Carlisle Expressway so if it's raining it makes for a dryer walk.

Takes us just a few minutes to walk there from the hotel & the hotel has a ramp at the front that makes it easy to get your bags down to street level.

You then walk a few metres to the traffic lights, cross the street - then it's all smooth paved single level to the ship with no stairs or roads to negotiate!

Four Seasons is definitely one of the best situated hotels for access to OPT on the morning of a cruise. I'll be staying there before my next cruise also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the hijack...what about the walk from the YHA to OPT...is that fairly easy? I googled it and it's just a 6-7 minute walk which looks fairly straight foward. Is that an easy distance to walk with our big suitcases on wheels?

Sorry for the hijack...what about the walk from the YHA to OPT...is that fairly easy? I googled it and it's just a 6-7 minute walk which looks fairly straight foward. Is that an easy distance to walk with our big suitcases on wheels?

Steps. Lots of steps. Get on google maps, there must be a way to do it avoiding the steps but I couldn't work out how in the time I was there.

If you go to Google maps street view you can get an idea of the route you will need to take from the YHA if you don't want to drag cases down stairs.

Depends on how fit you are as well I guess as to wether it will be a slog for you or not? The back streets of the rocks area where the YHA is located are quite a bit higher than the quay area.

There is a route without steps but it's about 1km.

You go right from the YHA all the way down Cumberland St, under the Harbour Bridge, until you reach Lower Fort St. Turn hard right into George St and follow that down to Hickson Rd. Turn left into Hickson Rd, then right which will take you to the far end (bridge end) of the OPT. Then just walk along the side of teh OPT to the entrance.

I was thinking about the same thing - although we are planning on catching the train to CQ.

Is anyone familiar with the walk from train station to ship terminal?

TIA :)

It is possible. I have done it on numerous occasions. You may have to carry your luggage down some stairs and fight your way through the crowds at the ticket machine exits. There are escalators and lifts but I have never been lucky enough to get to them. I am just lucky I have the brut strength to lift my luggage over my shoulder and walk it down the stairs. For people who cannot lift their luggage they may have difficulty at this station getting over the bumps and uneven surface and through the narrow ticket machines.

I was thinking about the same thing - although we are planning on catching the train to CQ.

Yes, very easy walk all on one level, about 2 minutes if that.

There is a lift at the station to get down to ground level so no need to use the escalator etc with luggage. :)

There's also a wide gate so you don't need to go through the narrower gate. You can now get single use Opal cards if only around for a day but the cards are free anyway. Just need to top them up.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

That is about a 200 metre walk along the paved water front, very easy but if raining there is not much cover at all.

All downhill, as Mic said the longer way avoids the stairs, it's my preference and not that much longer.