What ended up happening with the "one service a day" issue?

AdoraBelle

On splendor, I was asked AM or PM.. I said both... I was told that due to staff reductions that I had to choose one or the other... I asked him if I go to Guest Services and ask about this, will they tell me the same thing? I said that I do not require a full cleaning for both, but would like beds made, ice and fresh towels in the AM and only towels checked and animal in the evening.. He scoffed off not happy, but I got requested services. So I beg to differ that it IS an issue on some ships with SOME stewards.

Thank you for sharing your first hand account with us.

Just saying. I'm not allowed to post my thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You are correct, I overstated, post away.... the point of my post was that these things take on a life of their own all by themselves.... that said, you certainly can post any thing you want...my bad

On splendor, I was asked AM or PM.. I said both... I was told that due to staff reductions that I had to choose one or the other... I asked him if I go to Guest Services and ask about this, will they tell me the same thing? I said that I do not require a full cleaning for both, but would like beds made, ice and fresh towels in the AM and only towels checked and animal in the evening.. He scoffed off not happy, but I got requested services. So I beg to differ that it IS an issue on some ships with SOME stewards.[/quote

Sounds rogue to me

We will be going on the Splendor (10-22-16) and very curious to see how our room steward treats us. We want our twice a day service as always. If I get any unpleasant comments about picking AM or PM service, I will contact the Hotel director. We are long time Diamond cruisers. Hopefully no problems will happen. John & Priscilla

Looks like the burner is up to about an 8 on the poor frog in the pot.:)

Yep. I don't cruise CCL (so far) but I do cruise NiCkLe and Dime and other mass-market lines, and this issue is significant to me. I've been around long enough to know that once one big line makes a significant cutback, the others usually follow, so I'm watching closely to see how it plays out. (Having someone else cook and clean while I'm on vacation is a big deal to me, and I love coming back to a tidy room in the evenings.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 weeks later...

We were on the Dream two weeks ago. The steward approached us with the form that clearly did NOT have the both option. I requested both and he at least did not give the appearance of being upset. However, he had clearly been given more rooms to clean than what I saw on the same cruise 2 years ago. I started hearing him in the housekeeping closet around 6 am and would see him packing up, visibly exhausted, around 10 pm. I'm sure he had a break inbetween, but we were back and forth to our room a lot during the day and he was usually at work somewhere along the corridor. I'm sure all of the responses that have been posted here are correct; what I'm tired of is the lack of consistency on Carnival's part across the board.

Some people still reporting being pushed toward one time service and new cruisers would not know the difference and often opt for 1x.

Believe in about a year 1x will be the norm but time will tell.

We've always asked for 1 day service. We see no need for the cabin steward to come into our cabin in the evening. We like sitting out on our balcony and don't want to be bothered. Whether we're on Princess or Carnival, this is the norm for us and the look of relief on the stewards face is a sign of relief. BTW, our gratuities are paid for by the 3 for free deals Princess gives as perks for booking. I've never seen anything like this on Carnival. We have 25 days of no gratuities being paid. Nice.

This was from our M&M on the Dream last week. The entertainment director and cruise director we there. They answered several questions and confirmed the ship was STILL conducting the trial cleaning of the rooms. We pointed out that what John was saying on his Facebook page was not what was happening. I'm referring to the cards with the choices. John said all of the ships have the cards that had the choice of Both along with Morning and Evening for room cleaning, which is not the case. Our card didn't have Both included on the card. It also didn't have a place to select for ice. I also witnessed and spoke to other cruisers that said they were not given the choice of both and had to choose from morning or evening cleaning. We told our steward we wanted Both and ice. We had no problems but, overheard our steward only offering service for morning or evening to other less informed cruisers.

This issue needs to be resolved one way or the other. Under policy, carnival still has the position of turn down service every night. :)

This was from our M&M on the Dream last week. The entertainment director and cruise director we there. They answered several questions and confirmed the ship was STILL conducting the trial cleaning of the rooms. We pointed out that what John was saying on his Facebook page was not what was happening. I'm referring to the cards with the choices. John said all of the ships have the cards that had the choice of Both along with Morning and Evening for room cleaning, which is not the case. Our card didn't have Both included on the card. It also didn't have a place to select for ice. I also witnessed and spoke to other cruisers that said they were not given the choice of both and had to choose from morning or evening cleaning. We told our steward we wanted Both and ice. We had no problems but, overheard our steward only offering service for morning or evening to other less informed cruisers.

This issue needs to be resolved one way or the other. Under policy, carnival still has the position of turn down service every night. :)

I do think their goal is once a day and since new cruisers dont know what to expect they will give us statistics that say the vast majority of people want once a day, and that is what they will give us.

I do think their goal is once a day and since new cruisers dont know what to expect they will give us statistics that say the vast majority of people want once a day' date=' and that is what they will give us.[/quote']

Which is sad, being we have been getting told for a year now that this is not the case.

The only reason I can see that they haven't fully implemented using smoked mirrors is that WE pay those individuals.

Did the managers explain why the cards have not been updated to reflect what JH has posted and the corporate decision in the matter?

I was on the Liberty in September. Here is what I was told about the Cabin Service issue:

Carnival paid a bundle to Boston Consulting Group to determine what the policy should be. According to Boston Consulting, Americans get so little vacation time that they don't want to be disturbed by a room steward on their vacation. They want to sleep until noon and not be bothered. Also, the Carnival demographic is not concerned about having service like you get in high end hotels. They could have asked their past guests for free instead of paying the exhorbitant fees to Boston Consulting.

Our Steward told us that the Liberty would be moving to once a day service soon. He said his cabins would be increased to 37 and there is no way he could handle 2X day service. He said the number of stewards on the ship would be reduced from 58 to 40 -42.

I asked the Human Resources Manager, Margaret Robinson, if this was true. She told me that it was. She said Carnival guests were used to staying at places like the Holiday Inn where you only get once a day service. I said yes, maybe for a night or 2, but I felt the competition for Carnival was all inclusive resorts or other cruise lines. I assured her that all the all inclusive resorts where we have stayed have evening turndown service, and replace the towels etc. I said that we sail MSC, RCCL, Celebrity and HAL and none of them have indicated such a decrease in service. I thought it was especially crass for Carnival to do this after raising the gratuity again. She told me to go to GS to lower it if I wasn't happy.

I said I would be sorely disappointed if Carnival went to once a day. She told me if I didn't like it then I should find another cruise line. I don't believe the staff is supposed to talk to any guest, let alone a Diamond this way. I said the crew we spoke with seemed upset. She said they just didn't like change and if they weren't willing to do more cabins there were people lined up who would be happy to have the job. So much for taking the opinions of loyal Carnival employees into consideration. She seemed so nice at the Diamond event, but boy her fangs came out later in the week when we had this conversation. Witch with a capital B.

At the Platinum and Diamond Reunion my husband and I spoke to the Guest Service Manager and Housekeeping Manager about this. (They are the ones who told me about Boston Consulting.) But, they both assured me that guests who wanted twice a day service could still have it. I told them what the HR manager said and they were both mortified, and apologized profusely. They said they felt like the Diamonds were like family. They felt that we had been on so many cruises that each one was a matter of "been there and done that" and that the interaction with the crew was most important. They said the room stewards would be getting additional assistants who would have key access to the cabins freeing the stewards to have more time for guest interaction and that we would like the new program once we tried it. And we should check both boxes when they start handing out the cards.

So, on the same ship I got conflicting information from the senior staff. Who knows how this will shake out. We have several Carnival as well as RCCL cruises booked for 2017 and 2018. It is very easy to cancel when you have a past guest rate if we are not happy with the servicing of cabins.

Edited by DebJ14