Never Again Will I Book Direct With Princess

poppypobble

What does any of this have to do with booking directly with Princess? It seems to me nothing would be different if the OP had booked with an Internet megastore or a local brick and mortar travel agent.

Totally agree.

First, the confirmation from Princess would have clearly stated when the final payment date was. If after that date, then no one can just change the booking.

Second, We've had at least one cruise in the past couple of years where it was clearly stated when booking that the booking was non-refundable if cancelled due to the special rate used. It is possible that the OP could have had one of these, especially for a 1 day cruise.

So the real question is whether the OP ever got a clear answer as to why the original booking could not be cancelled, or was one given and not heard/understood?

I certainly hope the OP can put this behind him/her and just have a great cruise experience.

Don't worry too much about a price drop after final payment. Some people who wait for them end up disappointed when the cruise sells out before a drop happens. Just be glad you got what you thought was a fair price on the cruise you wanted :).

So true.

Having booked a few of my cruises direct through Princess I must say that when I have had to speak with them on any issue they have always been very helpful and I have had no problem with them whatsoever. When it is appropriate I will continue to book direct with them.:)

What does any of this have to do with booking directly with Princess? It seems to me nothing would be different if the OP had booked with an Internet megastore or a local brick and mortar travel agent.

This is just the way it is buying cruises...

If you want to be assured of a place on the ship, or of having a particular

cabin, you need to purchase when you have an opportunity.

It is, of course, pretty common that there is a flash sale after final payment,

for 'new bookings only'.

It you like to gamble, don't purchase early, and hope there is a sale

sometime after final payment, up until sailing.

Pay more for security, or gamble a bit for a lower price -- purchaser's choice...

Edited by pablo222

I'm not sure why people feel to need to blame somebody for everything ...

Sorry, maybe I'm just getting old and curmudgeonly (sp?)

And it would still be nice if the OP would be a little more out front. It took awhile to learn this was all about a 1-night cruise, and we still haven't had an answer to "when is your cruise?"

Jim

I agree.....never have a problem booking with Princess directly and always find their staff friendly, helpful and flexible. A ONE NIGHT CRUISE.....really....have a feeling post is by a TA!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

While this was several years ago - they advertised for Princess phone agents in the Seattle area in a high school paper (they have a Seattle call center).

Well, if that is the case they the PP's comments are probably true. Not so much here in Santa Clarita. The people that work there are a much older crowd who are in the "own my own home" category.

I always get a kick when I drive up to Canada and somewhere in Southern Oregon there is a Norwegian (I believe) call center. I can't remember the exact city otherwise I'd post it. It is in the middle of nowhere and a long way from water. There is definitely no cruise ship stops near it. I just think "well, here is a group that has no idea was a cruise ship looks like".

That's exactly the impression i got when I spoke to both agents- 1 supposedly a supervisor- that they really didn't care.

Shame on Princess for not paying better and providing more incentive to their staff. It would really help with customer service.

Poppy

Well, here's my experience with Princess last year after final booking and an empty ship. I called politely and asked if they'd consider letting me upgrade to a higher category balcony, which when I booked was nearly twice the price as the balcony I booked. Lo and behold, they did book me into a much higher category balcony and gave me some loyalty OBC. Maybe it's just how you phrase the question? People say it cannot be done. It can. Depends upon who you ask and how you ask.

Hard to find fault with Princess on this complaint. They are trying to fill a ship leaving next month, its only a one day so it really isn't a big deal for the amount of time you will use cabin and when you booked it you thought the price was fair. (AND)you are getting a cruise credit for just one day!

I totally agree.

Tony

Well, if that is the case they the PP's comments are probably true. Not so much here in Santa Clarita. The people that work there are a much older crowd who are in the "own my own home" category.

I always get a kick when I drive up to Canada and somewhere in Southern Oregon there is a Norwegian (I believe) call center. I can't remember the exact city otherwise I'd post it. It is in the middle of nowhere and a long way from water. There is definitely no cruise ship stops near it. I just think "well, here is a group that has no idea was a cruise ship looks like".

RCCL has a call center in Springfield, Oregon and also in Wichita, Kansas (along with one in/near Miami. Logistically, this has proved well for them when the Miami location had to be evacuated due to a hurricane.

Oceania (and maybe Regent Cruise Lines) has a call center in Omaha, NE.

I think NCL has one in Mesa, AZ.

The spouse of a friend was a Princess Vacation Planner (or whatever they are called) in Santa Clarita. He did this full-time and worked his way up the ladder and took his job seriously.

Edited by Coral

Well, here's my experience with Princess last year after final booking and an empty ship. I called politely and asked if they'd consider letting me upgrade to a higher category balcony, which when I booked was nearly twice the price as the balcony I booked. Lo and behold, they did book me into a much higher category balcony and gave me some loyalty OBC. Maybe it's just how you phrase the question? People say it cannot be done. It can. Depends upon who you ask and how you ask.

And it also depends on your original fare and any tied in promos...etc..etc..always worth asking......... if you r a solo cruiser they work with u more, I have been told this from more than one rep in resolutions.......

BTW today......starting Reps in Seattle make $15.00... SC...$10.50.

Edited by land lover

I have been booking directly with Princess for our last few cruises and I have never had any trouble with them at all in fact they have gone out of their way to help me. We have had our fares reduced a number of times and the staff have always gone out of their way to make sure that we are getting the best deal.

Only two weeks ago, our cruise in January went down by $300 p.p. so I immediately phoned Princess and was given the new fare. Then a week later, it dropped another $300p.p. This time, the lass cancelled my original booking and rebooked us into the same mini suite to get the new deal. So far on this cruise, we have saved over $1200 with the help of Princess.

We have also been offered two upsells over the past couple of years from a Mini to a full Suite which we have taken. Lastly, we were on the Diamond Princess in Japan two years ago and had the misfortune to be in two typhoons. Princess were wonderful. They not only gave us a huge OBC because we stayed on board for the entire cruise plus they refunded our money in the form of a FCC to be used towards a cruise which had to be booked within a certain time. We did miss quite a number of ports but we were on a lovely ship in good weather as the Captain had taken us out to sea to avoid the typhoons. In no way did we blame Princess for the weather. For us it was a win, win situation.

So there is no way that I can say that Princess doesn't look after their passengers.

Jennie

And it also depends on your original fare and any tied in promos...etc..etc..always worth asking......... if you r a solo cruiser they work with u more, I have been told this from more than one rep in resolutions.......

BTW today......starting Reps in Seattle make $15.00... SC...$10.50.

Seattle's minimum wage is going to be $15/hour by January. They have passed a higher minimum wage law.

Edited by Coral