Never Again Will I Book Direct With Princess

poppypobble

Hi

This is our 3rd Princess cruise. Been really happy with our onboard experiences.

Thought I would try to book direct with Princess. Booked 2 rooms at a good price- interior IC Guarantee. I went back and Princess has same rooms- a bit higher price but offering balconies at same price. Went onto where I normally go & prices are lower & they have all categories- to balcony level at same price. There are plenty of rooms available.

I thought perhaps I may be able to get the guaranteed up to a balcony because they are all at the same price right now anyways but they say they can do nothing. I literally booked this a few days ago.

The agents I spoke to were really not helpful and said there was nothing they could do. I found them a bit curt as well. I find it astonishing that the actual cruiseline that we are sailing with cannot have better solutions.

So buyer beware- shop around. I should have waited but didn't want my kids to miss out if it got too full.

I would personally never deal with Princess direct again.

Poppy

If you are outside of the final payment period, just cancel your booking and book again selecting the cabins/promotion that you think is now more desirable. It doesn't sound as if direct booking is your issue so much as it is price fluctuation. If you are inside of the final payment period, then do yourself a favor and stop checking prices. It can drive you crazy.

Thanks Jimmy

It's a only a 1 day cruise so all paid up unfortunately.

You are right - should not recheck but was curious- see where that got me.

I just wanted people to know about my experience with Princess direct.

Poppy

Be aware that sometimes there is a teeny tiny "1" next to the new rates that when you scroll down tells you they are only for new bookings. They may consider a rebooking as not a new booking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are outside of the final payment period, just cancel your booking and book again selecting the cabins/promotion that you think is now more desirable. It doesn't sound as if direct booking is your issue so much as it is price fluctuation. If you are inside of the final payment period, then do yourself a favor and stop checking prices. It can drive you crazy.

Agree...outside the final payment window... Princess works with us on changes... we never book guarantee though, only a cabin we want. If we decide to change no problem..

I don't think princess cares which way you book your cruise direct or with a travel agent as long as they get the booking. Either way they win. Most of the time you can do better with a travel agent. They have tremendous turnover in there sales dept and it reflects in how they handle problems. It's a minumin wage job and mostly part time. I've talked with some of there supervisors who now see there jobs as babysitting and puting out fires all days to to the inexperience of there sales force.

Thanks Jimmy

It's a only a 1 day cruise so all paid up unfortunately.

You are right - should not recheck but was curious- see where that got me.

I just wanted people to know about my experience with Princess direct.

Poppy

The question still remains...are you past final payment date? It doesn't matter if you're paid in full, as long as you're not past final payment DATE.

If not past final payment, cancel and rebook.

I don't think princess cares which way you book your cruise direct or with a travel agent as long as they get the booking. Either way they win. Most of the time you can do better with a travel agent. They have tremendous turnover in there sales dept and it reflects in how they handle problems. It's a minumin wage job and mostly part time. I've talked with some of there supervisors who now see there jobs as babysitting and puting out fires all days to to the inexperience of there sales force.

That's exactly the impression i got when I spoke to both agents- 1 supposedly a supervisor- that they really didn't care.

Shame on Princess for not paying better and providing more incentive to their staff. It would really help with customer service.

Poppy

I think the October's cruise is in a few weeks, thus past final payment. Since that seems to be the case and the new fares are very likely for new bookings only, not even a travel agent could have helped you.

You can refaire before final payment or cancel and rebook. This is a policy that works across all cruise lines.

You can refaire before final payment or cancel and rebook. This is a policy that works across all cruise lines.

I'm not really sure what refaire is, but it doesn't really

work when there is a non-refundable deposit.

Regardless, the original poster booked a 1-day cruise.

I don't think even the best travel agent in the world would

spend a lot of time working on this issue.

Usually Princess will let you upgrade if the price is the same but never a refare after final payment. On a one night cruise it doesn't matter what cabin because you almost have no time in the cabin when it's light out anyway. Sounds like you're trying to get your tier elevated VS going a relaxing vacation.

Edited by cruzsnooze

...On a one night cruise it doesn't matter what cabin because you almost have no time in the cabin when it's light out anyway...

I agree. The only time I would use a balcony on a one-nighter is at sail-away, but you should be able to find a nice spot out on deck for that if you go a bit early. Don't worry too much about a price drop after final payment. Some people who wait for them end up disappointed when the cruise sells out before a drop happens. Just be glad you got what you thought was a fair price on the cruise you wanted :).

If your reason for wanting a balcony cabin on a one-nighter is to see what they are like before booking a longer cruise, just step inside one that is vacant upon boarding or disembarking for a quick look around. They are no larger inside than inside cabins or OVs on Princess, they just have a balcony in addition. In any case, enjoy your cruise!

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
clarity

I agree. The only time I would use a balcony on a one-nighter is at sail-away, but you should be able to find a nice spot out on deck for that if you go a bit early.

Don't worry too much about a price drop after final payment. Some people who wait for them end up disappointed when the cruise sells out before a drop happens. Just be glad you got what you thought was a fair price on the cruise you wanted :).

Thanks Socal Cruiser

Yes- my kids like to be out watching on deck as we sail away.

I was worried that the cruise may sell out- then I would have disappointed kids:(

If this is the 9/17 or 9/18 sailing, yes, you are way past final payment, and most fare sales are for new bookings only. Princess was just going by their own fare rules. You could call to at least make sure your booking is marked "open to any upgrade", and mayyyybe you'll get an upgrade!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hard to find fault with Princess on this complaint. They are trying to fill a ship leaving next month, its only a one day so it really isn't a big deal for the amount of time you will use cabin and when you booked it you thought the price was fair. (AND)you are getting a cruise credit for just one day!

What does any of this have to do with booking directly with Princess? It seems to me nothing would be different if the OP had booked with an Internet megastore or a local brick and mortar travel agent.

I'm not sure why people feel to need to blame somebody for everything ...

Sorry, maybe I'm just getting old and curmudgeonly (sp?)

And it would still be nice if the OP would be a little more out front. It took awhile to learn this was all about a 1-night cruise, and we still haven't had an answer to "when is your cruise?"

Jim

They have tremendous turnover in there sales dept and it reflects in how they handle problems. It's a minumin wage job and mostly part time. I've talked with some of there supervisors who now see there jobs as babysitting and puting out fires all days to to the inexperience of there sales force.

Just curious how you know this. I know a couple of people quite well that work there and I can tell you they wouldn't say this was true. I mean, did you just talk to people on the phone or do you actually know someone to get this information. I can guarantee you that not only is my friend no where near minimum wage he and his friends state that most of his co-workers are not part time.

Hi

This is our 3rd Princess cruise. Been really happy with our onboard experiences.

Thought I would try to book direct with Princess. Booked 2 rooms at a good price- interior IC Guarantee. I went back and Princess has same rooms- a bit higher price but offering balconies at same price. Went onto where I normally go & prices are lower & they have all categories- to balcony level at same price. There are plenty of rooms available.

I thought perhaps I may be able to get the guaranteed up to a balcony because they are all at the same price right now anyways but they say they can do nothing. I literally booked this a few days ago.

The agents I spoke to were really not helpful and said there was nothing they could do. I found them a bit curt as well. I find it astonishing that the actual cruiseline that we are sailing with cannot have better solutions.

So buyer beware- shop around. I should have waited but didn't want my kids to miss out if it got too full.

I would personally never deal with Princess direct again.

Poppy

Cancel and re book.

Just curious how you know this. I know a couple of people quite well that work there and I can tell you they wouldn't say this was true. I mean, did you just talk to people on the phone or do you actually know someone to get this information. I can guarantee you that not only is my friend no where near minimum wage he and his friends state that most of his co-workers are not part time.

While this was several years ago - they advertised for Princess phone agents in the Seattle area in a high school paper (they have a Seattle call center).