Formal Night Hack

resistk

I guess we may have tradition and fashion on one hand, and some degree of individualism on the other, all within the same code. As it happens I DO have a Union Jack bowtie and if I choose to wear it with a dinner suit, dress shirt and cumberbund, much as some may not like it, I am fully complying with the code. (Actually, I rarely do wear it!). It may not be traditional, but neither do I adhere to the tradition of spending my evenings ballroom dancing.

I agree, Merry Maid; black tie is exactly that-BLACK TIE. Although I would add that 1/4-1/2" of shirt cuff showing is correct.

I also wish all men would understand that nothing, absolutely NOTHING makes a gentleman look more handsome that a well tailored dinner suit/tuxedo......no matter his physique. All you have to do is look at the classic movies from the 30's and 40's to see that. All shapes and sizes look marvelous......from Cary Grant to Peter Lorre.

Perhaps if they realized this, we could put these dress code 'cheat' discussions to rest. And we ladies could reap the benefits.

Interesting to review a female perspective of male attire. I often read these dress code threads and puzzle over why it is all so difficult for men, I find that the preferred dress code as laid out by Cunard is very easy to follow.

If truth be told a good quality formal shirt, a properly adjusted black tie and reasonably good dinner suit or tuxedo combined with comfortable footwear should result in a very enjoyable and fun evening. I've never found formal gear uncomfortable to wear by following this pattern.

I've no wish to venture outside the black and white basics for example exotic coloured ties etc but that's just my preference.

Once outside the stateroom l seem transformed, l walk taller, wear my best smile and feel a million dollars, just by wearing a simple formal outfit. Any perceived inconvenience of dragging the gear along is simply immaterial compared to the joy it brings me when l wear my formal rig.

M-AR

Edited by Mid-Atlantic Ridge

Interesting to review a female perspective of male attire. I often read these dress code threads and puzzle over why it is all so difficult for men, I find that the preferred dress code as laid out by Cunard is very easy to follow.

If truth be told a good quality formal shirt, a properly adjusted black tie and reasonably good dinner suit or tuxedo combined with comfortable footwear should result in a very enjoyable and fun evening. I've never found formal gear uncomfortable to wear by following this pattern.

I've no wish to venture outside the black and white basics for example exotic coloured ties etc but that's just my preference.

Once outside the stateroom l seem transformed, l walk taller, wear my best smile and feel a million dollars, just by wearing a simple formal outfit. Any perceived inconvenience of dragging the gear along is simply immaterial compared to the joy it brings me when l wear my formal rig.

M-AR

Very well put. Black tie is the most ingenious garment ever made for men - all men regardless of age or physical build look great wearing it.

This is interesting. Does one not need a tuxedo for formal nights? I know basically nothing about the different types of men's formal attire. It would be nice to just bring a black suit that can be worn with a bow tie (and vest?) on formal nights and with or without a tie on informal nights.

A tuxedo is not mandatory for men. The dress code states that men should wear either a tuxedo or dark suit on formal nights, so what you are suggesting is fine. I generally go for a black suit and mix and match as you suggest.

While I began my QM2 voyages wearing a tuxedo, I have now gone simply to a black suit with white shirt and black bow-tie. I use her as transportation, not as a cruise. I am not alone in this and that is, after all, the purpose of an oceanliner. I travel for months at a time and a tuxedo is a particularly useless bit of clothing for normal life. At least with a black suit, you can use the jacket seperately. I was very surprised to see gentlemen in Scottish kilts on formal nights. I chose therefore, as an American Indian, to wear "formal" American Indian attire of my tribe one evening. Some people clearly did not approve. Apparently there is a double standard at work. Their tribe is okay, but yours is not. I also had the occasion to add a man's opera scarf to my tuxedo on a few occasions and received what I considered inappropriate comments on my attire from other men on two occasions who apparently thought men should not wear scarves. My advice is to do what you need to do and don't worry what others think. Believe me, a lot of what passes for formal on Cunard isn't exactly tasteful. Nothing like the PR photos would have you believe.

But the dress code is NOT black tie! It is "A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men." Clearly the word "appropriate" lends itself to personal interpretation. I note no mention of waistcoats, even though some obviously think these should be worn - again simply their personal preference. My preference is for a cumberbund (which in my case is not "invariably being hitched up or pulled down or twisted round").

First of all 'Black Tie' is implicit in the words 'formal' and 'tuxedo'. You choose to deviate from this, fair enough, your choice. However then you cannot raille against another person for wearing what amounts to a dark suit and tie because you think he is' cheating'. I've said before, what someone else wears has little impact on my enjoyment. What irritates me is the double standards frequently promulgated on this board. It is the, " we want formality, we love formality, that's why we use Cunard. You don't want to conform then clear off to a scruffier line". And then, choose to interpret 'formal' entirely according to their own wishes. It's quite simple, if you love formality and want to dress formally wear a black tie. Anything else just smacks of, "Hey look at me!" I've seen men with jewellery pinned in their lapels, men with cascades of silk erupting from their breastpocket. All very swish and eyecatching but not formal. Sorry. So wear your Union Jack bow tie with pride but don't fool yourself that you are formally dressed , you are not, irrespective of the Cunard code.

MM

I find the implied criticism of my wife in earlier posts and the personal nature of other comments here unacceptable. I shall continue to wear both black and coloured ties and not only shall I be well within the Cunard code, I shall be entirely comfortable that I am formally dressed. Given the direction this thread has taken, I won't be participating any further.

I was hoping Merry Maid wasn't serious but it seems that her opinions are fixed. I have much better things to do than choose my husband's formal wear and he enjoys variety in shirts and ties.

I think he and the other men who make an effort to dress up look great and perfectly in keeping with formal dress code.

They are attending an event on a cruise ship not a masonic meeting !

Edited by Host Hattie

I was hoping Merry Maid wasn't serious but it seems that her opinions are fixed. I have much better things to do than choose my husband's formal wear and he enjoys variety in shirts and ties.

I think he and the other men who make an effort to dress up look great and perfectly in keeping with formal dress code.

Well said Host Hattie.

Well said Host Hattie.

Nevertheless, I do sometimes get the feeling that some people get the Formal night mixed up with the Fancy Dress night.

Amazon do a good line in flashing bow ties. OOps, I shouldn't have pointed that out. Now the dining rooms will be full of them with people asking for the main lights to be dimmed.

To be or not to be. Not in "cummerbund".

Stewart

Host Hattie I agree entirely. I was simply trying to point out the absurdity of criticising others for committing the same solecisms that I do. I have a pair of black Craghopper trousers which, were I foolish enough to press a crease in the front, would be indistinguishable from suit trousers from about three yards away. Should I be castigated for pairing these with a black coat on a formal night? As a previous poster said there are some whose interpretations of formal are more like fancy dress. So be it that is their choice as

long as they don't go about criticising other people for their choice.

Once more I seem to have difficulty in getting my main point across I really must pay more attention to my writing style.

MM

yes, and removing the servicecharge like you say lets you travel even lighter.

I won't be surprised, if they refuse you entry to the MDR with a sports jacket on formal nights.

No they won't do that. This is all part of the race to the bottom that probably started with acceptance of "dark suit " instead of tux and the rather strange tie optional with jacket. I've certainly seen worse being waved through to the MDR.

Doesn't bother me and wouldn't make me feel disrespected.

David.

I agree, Merry Maid; black tie is exactly that-BLACK TIE. Although I would add that 1/4-1/2" of shirt cuff showing is correct.

I also wish all men would understand that nothing, absolutely NOTHING makes a gentleman look more handsome that a well tailored dinner suit/tuxedo......no matter his physique. All you have to do is look at the classic movies from the 30's and 40's to see that. All shapes and sizes look marvelous......from Cary Grant to Peter Lorre.

Perhaps if they realized this, we could put these dress code 'cheat' discussions to rest. And we ladies could reap the benefits.

h

All men look good in a tux? Do you wear dark glasses to dinner?

David.

I have been entertained by this discussion of what constitutes formal wear for men! My curiosity let me to find this site, which discusses/defines the standards and is a good read, besides:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Introduction/Intro_Main.htm

Here is a good excerpt -

"Once dressed the wearer becomes a part of black tie’s rich tradition of civilized decorum. Without a word, his appearance announces his respect for a host’s desire to instill an evening with a sense of the exceptional. "

And for the OP,

"By assembling the lost knowledge of our forefathers and their tailors this primer contains all the information necessary to maximize the full potential of the tuxedo. It applies to all men, regardless of their financial means or their sartorial skills..."

Anyway, I don't have a problem with adding some personal style to the formula (eg colored ties). We do not live in Victorian England any more.

The original poster came up with the "hack" for Cunard Black Tie evenings based on complying with exactly what the cruise line required passengers to wear on those occasions. The original poster simply outlined how he was going to accurately follow the requirements but have a minimum amount of valuable suitcase space taken up and have a minimum budget to buy clothing that complies.

You are also permitted to wear formal national dress and military uniform. I am thinking some New Zealanders, who lets face are typically on very long flights with tight luggage allowances could wear the traditional Maori dress and save on weight while still complying with Cunard's Black Tie night regulations. I am particularly interested in what the ladies think on this.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I got the point on dress code and I'm booked on a T/A roundtrip in the grills, I was going to post this as its separate thread, but it might be more appropriate here. I am no stranger to formal nights and have been very uncomfortable(hot), buttoned up to the neck for hours. Does Cunard keep the grill dining rooms and spaces at a lower temp where I will be comfortable? The date is October.

Does Cunard keep the grill dining rooms and spaces at a lower temp where I will be comfortable? The date is October.

The short answer is, yes.

We will be on QE in QG for 2 weeks in October and would again, (for the 14th time in QG), expect it to be as temperate as always.

Certainly never felt the need to strip off.

Stewart

Maple Girl and Scottie Girl,

The minimum your gents will need for evening is a good quality dark wool suit (agree with others that navy or charcoal are better choices than black, but black will do if that's what your fellas have). Pair this with at least 2 white shirts, black dress shoes, and enough ties for the formal nights (formal night requires dark suit & tie, so they do not need bow ties if they are not bringing dinner jackets). If they like, they could consider renting the "tux" with traditional trimmings for one of the evenings, but it isn't mandatory. My husband spent almost 3 months on board ships with these accoutrements (plus a dry cleaning budget) and was always acceptably turned out. It is much better to have one really good quality suit that fits than a bunch of "cheap polyester jacket"s or other atrocities suggested by the OP.

To the OP: may I never be seated next to you on a cruise. You are going to wear that one shirt EVERY night? you will not have enough time to clean it in between dinners. You risk an offence to the delicate olfactory nerves of your fellow passengers. Please re-think your approach. One suit & 2 shirts doesn't take any more space in your luggage than your "hack", and one shirt can be laundered while the other is worn.

Although I loved it, I had a little peeve with the Fashion Week Cruise (I started a topic on it:eek:), so here is a question for all of those who are against "hacking" the dress code: one of the "fashion people" was wearing (sort of) a tux where the jacket was half black half white (the back of it). :eek:

What do you think? Opinions please.

Although I loved it, I had a little peeve with the Fashion Week Cruise (I started a topic on it:eek:), so here is a question for all of those who are against "hacking" the dress code: one of the "fashion people" was wearing (sort of) a tux where the jacket was half black half white (the back of it). :eek:

What do you think? Opinions please.

Fashion designers love to create clothes that are never bought or worn by the general public. It gets them "Noticed" and being Noticed is being half way home in the fashion industry.There are of course a few adventurous souls that will try some of these more outrageous styles but they are usually seen at fund raising galas and art gallery openings.

Thankfully with the exception of a certain political candidate the orange jump suit has been relegated to prison attire.

Fashion designers love to create clothes that are never bought or worn by the general public. It gets them "Noticed" and being Noticed is being half way home in the fashion industry.There are of course a few adventurous souls that will try some of these more outrageous styles but they are usually seen at fund raising galas and art gallery openings.

Thankfully with the exception of a certain political candidate the orange jump suit has been relegated to prison attire.

And they shouldn't be seen at formal nights! :D