Price drop after final payment

AnnieBelle

Last week our TA made our final payment but according to my invoice, final due date was today, Sept. 6th. I noticed over the weekend that the price of our. Raise dropped about $160. I emailed my TA and her response was that cancellation started today and that we would be upgraded to a guaranteed suite - we are currently in a verandah balcony. Has anyone else experienced this situation? I haven't had this happen before.

Last week our TA made our final payment but according to my invoice, final due date was today, Sept. 6th. I noticed over the weekend that the price of our. Raise dropped about $160. I emailed my TA and her response was that cancellation started today and that we would be upgraded to a guaranteed suite - we are currently in a verandah balcony. Has anyone else experienced this situation? I haven't had this happen before.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that deal. However, strange things happen sometimes, so I guess it's possible. Unless, of course, your TA has some inside information regarding this cruise. Perhaps the price of suites has had a significant drop in the past few days.

Did have this happen a while back but the decrease was more than what you quoted. HAL offered us a suite upgrade but after negotiations thru our TA as I get sea sick and did not want one of the aft suites, we settled for a substantial discount in the fare, beyond the discounted fare.

Hope it all works out for you - maybe have your TA ask for both the lower fare and the free upgrade - worst case is a No from HAL or a choice between the 2 options.

While HAL doesn't have to do anything after cancellation, they do tend to offer upsells/upgrades (subject to availability) or obc and sometimes a discount.

I think it depends on how good your PCC/TA is. Since we all agreed to a contract when we booked, I think it's pretty dam decent if they are willing to do anything.

We booked next year's cruise a number of months ago. Price has gone up substantially. Of course, HAL is holding to the contract. It works both ways ;)

We did get an up grade from an inside to a balcony after final payment once. The price drop was not that much so we opted for the balcony cabin instead, it was a TA from Rome to Ft Lauderdale, really enjoyed it on those sea days.

Allan

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I will ask my TA to contact HAL - you don't know of you don't ask. I'll hope for the best but as I told my TA, I've learned my lesson to double check fares before the final payment is made. I may also be looking for a new TA.

Edited by AnnieBelle

I think that it is very gracious of HAL to offer a customer a free upgrade in the event of a large price decrease after final payment.

It can be irritating so see a substantial reduction. We mostly book inside the cancellation window now that we are retired. On at least two occasions prior to going this way we actually cancelled a cruise just before final payment and re-booked 10 days later in a better cabin at a substantially reduced price. In both instances we knew that there was lots of unsold inventory so we decided to take our chances. We identified 'back-up' cruises just in case but did not have to bother with them..

Edited by iancal

We always book a verandah or verandah gty. We have booked the last dozen or so cruises in the final payment window. Never , ever had a bad or a loser cabin...either self assigned or gty. The opposite has been true. Perhaps because others have accepted upgrade offers late in the game. On a few occasions were have been extremely pleased either because of the location or the verandah size. Do not know if this would apply to outsides or insides.

I talked to my TA today and she said we should be getting into a suite. She said after talking to three different people at HAL, she finally got something from them. I'm really hoping this works out! I guess of it doesn't, we will still have our balcony and we know it's in a great location because we had a similar balcony cabin in March.

I talked to my TA today and she said we should be getting into a suite. She said after talking to three different people at HAL, she finally got something from them. I'm really hoping this works out! I guess of it doesn't, we will still have our balcony and we know it's in a great location because we had a similar balcony cabin in March.

That sounds lovely :) It should work out and as you say, you already have a great cabin.

You have a great attitude and good luck.

Do let us know when you get a chance (even if it is when you get back).

Have fun :)

For only a $160 per person hit your TA now is guaranteeing you a Neptune suite over the verandah cabin you paid for? This must be on her dime.

Or is this somehow getting caught up in the new cabin name game- since all the verandahs are now "suites". Sounds confusing.

Edited by OlsSalt

Nice to know.

For only a $160 per person hit your TA now is guaranteeing you a Neptune suite over the verandah cabin you paid for? This must be on her dime.

Or is this somehow getting caught up in the new cabin name game- since all the verandahs are now "suites". Sounds confusing.

All verandahs are not called suites. Only on the smaller ships and optional on the Koningsdam. Vista, and Signature class have signature suites so do not call their regular verandah categories "suites" unless something has changed that I am unaware of.

The OP has been guaranteed a suite so it could be a Signature Suite as well as a Neptune depending upon the class of ship they are sailing. ;)

Edited by kazu