RCI no longer going to Lifou?

So am I right in saying the port of Lifou is not being visited because the pier that the tender boats pull up to is damaged and/or to be rebuilt?

My cruise is April 2018 so I'm hoping it will be fixed by then because I'd love to see Jinek Bay for snorkelling.

The pier is fine, but needs to be expanded in some way to cater for the tenders of the larger Voyager class.

It's been going for at least a year so they would certainly hope it's ready by then - though given this is the second season to be impacted, I wouldn't guarantee it!

So we are on Explorer... is it right that for us it's OK unless there are other ships there on the same day?

No, both Voyager and Explorer (being the same class/size) are unable to visit Lifou until the pier is enhanced for them. That is expected by next year, but has been behind schedule so far.

Edited by The_Big_M

We have been switched to Mare.

Does anyone know how we can pay for the shuttle to the nice beach without obtaining local currency?

Also, is there food/water to buy at the beach? And with which currency? AUD ok?

Usually the ship organises the bus and it gets charged to your on board account. There was some food available but we didn't buy any at the beach so I can't help with the currency. Hubby bought a beer from the bar near the tenders and paid with their currency. Not sure if they gave the option of AUD.

Some photos incase that helps is...

https://occasionalcruiser.blogspot.com.au/2015/12/mare-island-new-caledonia-10th-december.html

We have been switched to Mare.

Does anyone know how we can pay for the shuttle to the nice beach without obtaining local currency?

Also, is there food/water to buy at the beach? And with which currency? AUD ok?

Just pay for the bus tickets on the ship, do not try and walk to the beach its too far, try and get into a small bus as they will wait and try and fill the 50 seaters , there are some food stalls there I only eat the coconuts, chips and drink the beer , they will take take aussie dollars but I use local money.

• 4 weeks later...
I am sure there is some port tax in there but would be very surprised if Lifou was $50 pp in port tax. I assume that the majority is the Goodwill amount. That said, it would have been better to be more.

Note: I see it was actually $5 for the port tax, thanks Spainalien.

Hi all just back from not going to lifou on E ots we were refunded usd $22;50 p/p about au$ 60 :rolleyes: surprise :rolleyes: also $100 obc NOT THE SAME AS GOING TO A ISLAND for your Birthday :confused:

Hi all just back from not going to lifou on E ots we were refunded usd $22;50 p/p about au$ 60 :rolleyes: surprise :rolleyes: also $100 obc NOT THE SAME AS GOING TO A ISLAND for your Birthday :confused:

We are currently on Voyager heading back from Fiji later today. We have our $100 obc but no notification of port taxes. Will that happen with final account?

We are currently on Voyager heading back from Fiji later today. We have our $100 obc but no notification of port taxes. Will that happen with final account?

I was on the 10 day Explorer of the Seas that cancelled Lifou We got our $100 OBC on day 2 and our $14.51 port tax refund on day 7.

• 5 months later...

The announcements last year came out early September: http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2399423

That said, they won't actually confirm to you that you _will_ be going; you just have to assume you are until told otherwise.

I'd say keep an open mind til about mid September and if you haven't heard anything by then, you're probably going to Lifou this year.