Andrew, A Possible Flowrider Unicorn

xpcdoojk

I am a bit reluctant to post this, since finding a flowrider Unicorn has been a goal of mine for the last 4 or 5 years, and if yesterday was an indication, I may have found one. I will know for sure by 10AM today.:D

My first attempts to find one have been somewhat mixed. First target, when kids are in school... That didn't work well on the Oasis the first time, as the ship had about 500 Brazilians in late January, so researching with my young Brazilian friends I found out that they were back in school in mid February, this worked somewhat better, but apparently some of the schools in New England have break then, and unfortunately I extended for another 5 day cruise on the Liberty that sailed on February 27, and OMG, University of Florida was on Spring Break in February.... Disaster. So, getting more creative, I tried to book a January cruise on the Anthem, which my wife killed because she was tired of the same places... So, we tried a trip to Norway, which was not bad, but the conditions were not good.... Hence back to this cruise, I figured all the kiddies in the northern half of the Western Hemisphere would be in school post Labor Day. Getting on the ship yesterday, my choices seemed confirmed as there were no small kids just babies and retired looking folks. At sailaway they had a 2 hour session at 4PM, Peter Maxx, was on board and we did a special sail by the Statue of Liberty then by the Queen Mary and around the harbor before heading out under the bridge, kind of cool, to surf looking out at the skyline and bridge.

Back to the unicorn and surfing. I showed up about 3:45 the two flow guides were surfing, so, I go, they make me take off my watch (never had them make me take it off before as it is indestructible GMax watch that I have done everything rough in for the last 10 years). So, I went for about 5 minutes before wiping out. There is nobody in line. I run back to the room ditch the watch and grab my LUMIX waterproof camera and micro tripod and set it up and surf. I surfed for 20 minutes before, Mike arrived, Mike is a squat strong older guy who has very little grace but he spins and bounces of the gutter the headboard and everything else wiping out occasionally, but mostly surviving. He tries every trick and launch position. He and I continued riding for about 45 minutes until he left for dinner. At this point I am actually getting a little tired, so I did a few launches from the top which I rarely do because I hate wiping out just for wiping out purposes. I was successful about half the tries. I continued for another 30 minutes until 15 until 6PM when I decided my legs were done for the day.

So, I am about to head for breakfast and the ultimate test of flowrider Unicorn findings.... Will report back later.:eek:

JC

Oh, I've seen this before. It's the unicorn they drag out from the shipboard stable on Andrew of the Seas. See, they bathe the unicorn in the flowrider at night. For an added visual treat, they turn on the rainbow lights.

Wow that is awesome that you found a ship without any other flowrider nuts on board. Hopefully you don't get too lonely. The anthem cruise sounds about right as it could have cool weather and a route that is going north instead of south. Now that you let the info out there might not be any more unicorns for you lol ;). On the bright side you won't have that lonely feeling though.

Oh, I've seen this before. It's the unicorn they drag out from the shipboard stable on Andrew of the Seas. See, they bathe the unicorn in the flowrider at night. For an added visual treat, they turn on the rainbow lights.

I love it. I wonder if royal will get the rights for "Andrew of the Seas" next. We could read an really good review by a great writer on here soon if so.:D

Check your city, but my 13 yr old son and 17 yr. old daughter, my wife and I surf year round in between cruises here:

http://www.myaquashop.com/flowrider.html

I buy the 25 - 1/2 hour sessions cheaper than their list price, usually around $200. That's 12 and 1/2 hours of flow rider time for $200, vs. $369/hour if you even try to buy it on the ship. That way when we actually get our turn on the ship, we are the obnoxious surfers that ride too long while there are 20 surfers in line waiting for their 15 second turn. (We do try to be courteous of others in line but it really gets us a lot of quality time on the flow rider.)

This thread is not just for Andrew, but I knew he would know why I posted it that way.

The 9AM stand-up, there are two instructors that show up around 9, we start, I start... I road for 10 minutes before wiping out, I collected the board, went down the side and started again. By the time it was 9:30, I was actually hoping someone would show up. The two flow guys surfed with me off and on for the next 30 minutes. At 10 AM a first time showed up. They made two trips. By 10:15 someone who had done it a tiny bit showed up, and two more first timers. That was it until 11AM. So it seemed like a Unicorn at that time. The nagging uncertainty though existed. The compass only showed a 2 to 5PM session, but the IQ App showed the 9AM start.... So, people who read the paper version didn't know. I probably rode more this morning that some 7 day cruises. This afternoon, Mike finally showed up at 2:30, and he was unhappy when I told him I had it to myself in the morning. In the afternoon the line got as long as 7 with only Mike and I really knowing how. There was a 31 year old Turkish/English young man built like a Greek God who was figuring it out very quick, but the rest were all first timers. The 9AM was too much of a good thing the 10AM just right and the afternoon better than average, but not perfect.

We will see what the rest of the cruise is like!!!

By the way the ship is lovely, and if you like to do things (like me) you will love this ship. We ate in the Grande last night and the food was solid. Breakfast at Egg Harbor in the WJ excellent. The Diamond lounge is over flowing in the music Hall. Really like 270 we will meet friends for drinks before the show the Gift there.

JC

Heck Eric Hop on, I can't be too far from you and we will be in Boston tomorrow.

JC

Just saw the local weather, was a high of 93 in Boston today, but they are saying should be in the 70's tomorrow with a chance of a spot shower in the morning but clearing as the day goes by. Should be a decent day to visit Boston.

Check your city, but my 13 yr old son and 17 yr. old daughter, my wife and I surf year round in between cruises here:

http://www.myaquashop.com/flowrider.html

I buy the 25 - 1/2 hour sessions cheaper than their list price, usually around $200. That's 12 and 1/2 hours of flow rider time for $200, vs. $369/hour if you even try to buy it on the ship. That way when we actually get our turn on the ship, we are the obnoxious surfers that ride too long while there are 20 surfers in line waiting for their 15 second turn. (We do try to be courteous of others in line but it really gets us a lot of quality time on the flow rider.)

That's where I surf as well. Love Aqua Shop. I just wish Michael could figure out someway to turn it into a double.