ZEBRA CRASHES HONEYMOON ON CARNIVAL VISTA August 26-Sept 3 Review

bluenoser2

Thank you MJsailors for your kind words. Humour has always been one of our ways of dealing with the good AND the bad in our lives. It brought us together and keeps us together, along with faith. And Florence.....well, she just started out as a way to entertain our kids when we left them at home and went on cruises without them and now it's become the greatest way to embarrass them. I just need a bigger bag to carry her in. There are days when she almost doesn't get to come along on excursion - sunglasses and camera....or Florence? This trip she won out every time. Well, the camera came too - let's just say I may have a few more lines from squinting.

After our splendid independently managed tour of the Sagrada Familia, we walked back to our apartment, somewhat slowly and realizing that 28 degrees Celsius (that’s 82 for some of y’all) is still plenty warm.

IMG_4973_zpspqsy7jlv.jpg

Upon entering the apartment we had to re-engage the air-conditioning as the key card has to be inserted in the little whatchamacallit inside the door for it to work. We learned later that if we were going out for a bit, LEAVE one of the cards in. So I made a simple not-very Spanish supper (frozen pizza, lasagna and French fries…..). Our only condiment was a wee jar of mayo which we found numerous creative uses for (get your minds back in the clean area….I was talking about the food…). Working the microwave was an interesting challenge. My Spanish is pretty much nil, so I tried using my Italian musical terminology (my parents spent a lot of money on my music education, so I like to attempt using it whenever possible). This did not work as I assumed “alto” meant LOW since alto is the lower female singing voice. So after 15 minutes of a small lasagna still being frozen since I twisted the dial as far away as possible from Alto……Mr. MacGeever stepped in, muttering things like “what about ALTiplano….and….”

Mr. MacGeever and I still had just enough energy left for a walk to check out where the Metro (subway) was for our next day’s Trepid Traveller independent excursion. Which we did.

IMG_0044_zpsqjgv34yp.jpg

We also watched the gathering of the pigeons. From a Distance. (I see you. I see all you Bette Midler fans getting up and singing…I just meant we didn’t want to get close. To the pigeons.) Florence found this very exciting, especially the part where they lined up in a row of 10 and took off for the 100m dash. THEY knew it was an Olympic year obviously.

IMG_0047_zpsho0uhcch.jpg

And so it was that we lasted until 8:15 p.m. local time before attempts to stay awake succumbed to slumber.

Fresh eggs do not need to be refrigerated. Because food in North America is often transported from one side of the continent to the other before it reaches its final destination. As a result they are refrigerated since they can end up being quite "old".

Here’s a question….. (Interactive part of the review) Why do Europeans not refrigerate their eggs (and by eggs, I am speaking of the kind found in grocery stores….)? Replies are welcome. I know. I could Google it. I like you better.

Yes, I can confirm as one who raises his own chickens and has experience in aging an egg. Your average american store bought egg is three weeks to a month old sitting at the grocery store.

See, now that's what I love about the CC board. I'm learning things all the time! Who knew I would learn about egg storage in the middle of my review! Thank you for the enlightenment. Sooooo, does that mean if I buy eggs (fresh) from the farmer down the road, I could actually just keep them on the counter? Wow. This could be a game changer. Stay tuned...I've got the next installment almost ready. Man, this reality really bites into my important review time.

OK, so we ARE the Trepid Travellers, but we DO like to do things on our own and have been getting increasingly braver about so doing. So with every journey we make, every breath we take, every move we make…. (Yeah, I know. Now all the Sting fans are getting into it…) we try to be at least a little independent. Much to the dismay. Of Bubby the Anxious.

So, after a strange night – that period of time from 8:30 p.m. to midnight was slumberlicious! Then it was a little less licious after that. Mr. MacGeever went for his 45 minute morning walk in the still-dark early morning while I worried and wondered what would happen to the rest of us if something happen to him. After our breakfast of hard-boiled eggs (what do you mean Cubby? you don’t like hard boiled eggs…..and I just boiled all the eggs…..) with salt and pepper courtesy of the packets Mr. MacGeever had ingeniously decided to save from the flight (Who does that?) and toast (with the options of mayo or Nutella…..ok so maybe we didn’t remember to get everything we needed at the grocery store!), we were ready to go.

Calamity reared its ugly head when I realized my special travel sized shampoo bottle (my Lee Valley bottle – Canadians will get this) had gone missing, along with the mini-air freshener for the bathroom! I took deep cleansing breaths, calmed myself down, and off we went to find our way to the subway. We left in plenty of time because generally, and as was the case this time, we get one block away from our home base before remembering things we forgot…..like Mr. MacGeever’s hard copy of a map. And Bubby’s last use of the facilities. The anxiety over public toilets was still high at this point.

The night before, when we parents had gone out for our walk, we had purchased a 10 trip ticket for the Metro at the nearest station. So this morning, we looked in charge and in control, as Mr. MacGeever calmly inserted and retrieved the ticket for each of us going through the turnstile, with himself last. It was just like we rehearsed. Calm. Cool. In charge. Unfortunately, because we had chosen the metro stop slightly closer to our apartment, and perhaps because of our ignorance, we ended up walking about 3 or 4 blocks underground in sweltering heat to get to the L3 spot we needed. Those were blocks that would have better been walked outside, in the cool of the day. Well, at least the shade and breeze of the day.

We encountered no further gaffs in our plan, and proceeded to the Vallcarca stop without mishap. We were happy to gulp fresh air again above ground, and it was very easy (yes, even for the Trepids) to find our walking way to Park Guell. (Basically follow everyone else who just got off the metro.) So was it easily navigated? Definitely. Was it easily traversed? Well let me just say this, it gives San Francisco a run for its money.

14330912_10155223546358574_2078151254_n.jpg?oh=ecdb9896f6329820e333ee0d86fe3e58&oe=57DABCDA

We were very thankful for the series of upward escalators that began after we had already trudged uphill for some time. But we felt virtuous as we climbed, knowing those hard boiled eggs were burning off rapidly.

This route took us to (almost) the top of the park for some stunning views of the city.

14264041_1096799733734430_9012702259556656787_n.jpg?oh=d9eef75f21c3a29534f2c463a5512299&oe=58863D35

We came across a “T” in the path. Which way to go? You know, two roads diverged and all that…we couldn’t tell which one was the lesser travelled, but it would have made a difference later in the day. Right took us to the main area of the park. Left would take us to the highest look off of the park up by the cross. We chose to go right. Of course, later, when we were at the absolute bottom of the park, Cubby decided (and he doesn’t ask much, our Cubby) that we needed to be at the cross to see over the city. Of course. Back up we went. Definitely deserving a good lunch by now, having certainly burned off the eggs. And the Nutella.

Honestly though, it was a great time there in the park. We had tickets for the Gaudi house museum that had been part of a combo ticket purchased online ahead of time with the Sagrada Familia, and had an assigned time we could go there, followed by a later assigned time to enter the Monument area of the park. Buying tickets ahead of time is great, but the spontaneity factor goes out the window when you have to plan all the times and hope for the best with weather and whims. However, we were VERY glad to be doing the park in the morning because it was plenty hot then, and a little less people. Apparently not everyone reads the helpful information on these boards, because there were oodles of people coming through the gates by the time we were ready to leave!

We toured the Gaudi Casa museum and relished (must have been hungry, all my words are beginning to remind me of food) getting to know a little more about the man, his unassuming manor (much like Mr. MacGeever), his Spartan lifestyle (much like moi – note the casual use of the French terminology I have thrown in there) and his unique style (no comment).

IMG_4981_zpsdimlitja.jpg

IMG_4985_zps7riz9avm.jpg

I am no horticulturalist, so I can’t name plants, but I loved them all in the gardens surrounding the house. All through our trip I kept seeing the little blue clusters of flowers that were my favourite…..feel free to enlighten me if you know what they are. Even if you don’t know what they are but would like to offer an imaginative suitable name for them I’ll accept that as well. Ohhhhhh….and the Mediterranean Pine trees – Umbrella trees – loved them too.

14222122_1096799863734417_585353821857804465_n.jpg?oh=d7bf90b8196ea1a4822b70c0d2900704&oe=583A6CCB

Sorry, got a little sidetracked there with the horticultural business. I am easily distracted. Just as when we walked away (yes, downward) from the museum, (remember we were at the Park – walking DOWN from the heights) and I heard beautiful Spanish guitar music, I followed like a child behind the Pied Piper to its melodious sounds. We discovered not one but two players in a shady spot. You could have just sat me down there for the rest of the day and I would have been happy.

IMG_0084_zpsxftd0m7q.jpg

Unfortunately, we only just had this last day in Barcelona to explore, and I was torn from my happy place. There were pictures to be taken! Sights to be seen! Oh the places we would go! (Dr. Seuss fans please rise…that was for you….quite appropriate I think, since most of Gaudi’s architecture reminds me of something between Dr. Seuss and the Flintstones. DO NOT get upset at me for saying that….I meant it as a compliment – all these things make me happy.)

IMG_0086_zpskczkihef.jpg

More musicians along the way.....

IMG_0080_zpswo0lpaey.jpg

We had an 11:30 a.m. entry into the Monument Gardens. Score. The 11:30 lineup was the ONLY lineup in the shade. Rock on 11:30ers. After (politely of course) shoving our way through the masses taking pictures of the iconic dragon mosaic creature at the fountain (and snagging a few photos along the way – mind you they don’t have any of OUR people in them, but the other people were fairly photogenic as well), we explored the area and rested our feet for a while on the huge stone bench area – those stone benches were surprisingly comfortable, with nice lumbar support. Too bad they were all in the blazing sun – except for the little corner where 20 people crowded in to get out of that sun! Florence and I chose the sun.

IMG_5002_zpssq8mgvnc.jpg

IMG_0104_zpsbgnsla03.jpg

So, after trekking all the way, yes, ALL THE WAY, UP, back up, to the crosses, and getting our fill of photos of the city there, we began the trip down. Out the park, down all the stairs that are right beside the escalators (that only go up of course) and by the time we got to the bottom Bubby and I had jello legs. Back on the Metro to a different stop where we wouldn’t get caught walking underground for days, and came up above at Placa Catalunya, relishing in the spray from the fountains there before walking back to our apartment for a siesta. (Look at me, getting all local and all….siesta….I DO know some Spanish after all!)

The view from way up top of park Guell.....almost up to the very top, but I couldn't make myself go up there with all the other people, and no railings....Trepid indeed.

IMG_4974_zpsqjvoqlwf.jpg

Florence didn't complain once about the heat...the cramped quarters of her little bag yes, but the heat, no. She's a trooper! (Enter ABBA fans...)

IMG_4986_zpswufdzlh5.jpg

Heading back to our little casa (there I go again showing off my Spanish) , our empty tummies found the Fresc Co All You Can Eat Buffet. What could we do? So we succumbed and went in, announcing that today’s BIG meal would be at noontime. Very reasonably priced (10 euros, or 11 depending on whether you added on the grilled meat option) and all we could drink soda (pop for my fellow Canadians) – we were in. Of course, we filled up on the very good salad bar options, and by the time we got to our table, and then to the back of the restaurant where the rest was, we were pretty full. Did that stop us from eating? Of course not! We had to get in shape for the cruise. So we added pizza, vegetables, tried the grill (not worth it) and even sampled the gelato for dessert.

We waddled back to the apartment and put our tired and extremely dusty and dirty feet up for a spell.

BY THE WAY, I remembered the little plastic bag gone missing (the one with my precious Lee Valley bottle), also had my nail polish in it. So, up got Mr. MacGeever to check once again. I messaged Ubby back home (little sister to Bubby and maid of honour at the Big Event) to see if it was still in our bedroom, since I did not want to waste energy searching for it if we had just forgotten to pack it. Alas, it was neither at home, nor in the bags I had checked. I checked all the bags. Well, all MY bags. Not Mr. MacGeever’s shaving kit. He sheepishly brought it out sometime later and Florence and I had a good laugh over it and happily received it, and made sure we used all of its contents at some point in the cruise.

IMG_0120_zpsjp3rpade.jpg

After the obligatory resting time, we walked to the Arc de Triomf for some photo ops, and a few photo oops, then on to the Gothic Quarter where again, they really could have just left me there for an hour or so to listen to the instrumental trio playing in the acoustically grand area they were in. Oh my. Just as well they didn’t, as I would probably never have found my way back to our little nest.

IMG_0128_zpsobluvtkf.jpg

It was a lovely walk, where we occasionally played rounds of “WHERE’S CUBBY” to amuse ourselves, and terrify Bubby. Here’s one of my favourite pictures he took. Think about it. We found it hilarious. If you don’t get it….ask me, and I’ll let you know our strange sense of humour.

14202527_1096800850400985_7143875268582968713_n.jpg?oh=82a591b996dea14fcf44b7608ceb35f6&oe=583BEB71

Think about it. We found it hilarious. If you don’t get it….ask me, and I’ll let you know our strange sense of humour.

14202527_1096800850400985_7143875268582968713_n.jpg?oh=82a591b996dea14fcf44b7608ceb35f6&oe=583BEB71

Gotta know. Was it the bus that looked like a grasshopper? The sign on the bus (Bad A Tours)? or the sign that said "Refugees Welcome".

I thought they were all funny.

But I have a strange sense of humor. ;)

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Gotta know. Was it the bus that looked like a grasshopper? The sign on the bus (Bad A Tours)? or the sign that said "Refugees Welcome".

I thought they were all funny.

But I have a strange sense of humor. ;)

Yes, I hadn't realized that there were multiple funnies in that shot. When Cubby saw it, he just started to laugh and said, "well, that's good to know". He read it as 'BAD AT TOURS'.....not the best slogan for a tour bus!

IMG_0137_zpsh8hnqzab.jpg

14199257_1096800680401002_8776652774260738555_n.jpg?oh=8e55a62b42b81a412479e0356d78f562&oe=5875B148

And....when you have too many clothes hangers hangin' around, you might want to consider this.....

14233209_1096800887067648_6033526807941955275_n.jpg?oh=2f49816ee22b7a7af19f595564a83aa3&oe=584355A8

And we were off! Out of the gothic quarter and down to the Christopher Columbus (otherwise known as “that Columbo thing” to Bubby) statue, and then back up La Rambla. This statue of Gaudi was AMAZING.

IMG_5024_zpsq85co4ir.jpg

Not a movement, not a twitch, nothing – we almost thought they were pulling a fast one on us and it actually WAS a real statue and not a person except we could see him breathing. He won that staring contest for sure. Mr. MacGeever even parted with some of his cash to see if donations would make him move. It didn’t. Not enough probably. We went on and looked at other less impressive statue people.

14212791_1096801017067635_4464784492224547422_n.jpg?oh=653ec0b120c76163acfaddd9935e0bfb&oe=587D79EA

Souvenirs were bought, and gelato was tested. Mmmmmm. I tried pistachio and realized after getting it that it was not the best choice for a hot day – tasty yes, but not my favourite. Dear Mr. MacGeever let me taste his mango and berry combo, and then let me finish his while he finished mine. See why he’s my favourite travelling companion? He’s the best.

These feet and heads and bodies were starting to fade, and Florence was just plain tired of having to camp all day in the close confines of my cross-body small purse. So after strolling through 2 of the 3 H&M stores we passed, we found our way back to the apartment.

Congratulations to those of you who have made it this far. I hope this indulgently long review is providing you with some form of amusement, or sleeping aid. Thank you for your lovely words of encouragement. Keep them coming! I’m enjoying reliving the trip this way – it’s just a shame that reality keeps getting in my way.

Well, we soldiered on through jet lag, managing to stay up to the late hour of 9:00 p.m. the night previous, and up at 7:00. This was the time I made one of those silly mistakes of checking my phone for messages at 3:00 a.m. and discovering via my younger daughter Ubby, that there had been an earthquake in Italy. Fortunately, she had aborted her text to her sister regarding same, and we kept Bubby in the dark about that until Rome. She’s not good with things like that. Like the NASCAR race in Pocono where the Thunderstorm hit as we were rushing to our vehicle and we later found out someone had perished nearby from a lightning strike. We kept that one from her for months and then found out she knew about it anyway. Well, it didn’t help my sleep any, but we were up, and ready to re-pack and re-organize and finish the food in the kitchen, such as it was. French fries for breakfast anyone? Anyone? Mayo? Anyone?

IMG_5031_zps3gf0ecxy.jpg

Having remembered our trusty stapler, we successfully attached our Carnival luggage tags to our bags, used the washroom several times – Bubby was a little excited this morning. Oh. Let’s be honest. We all were. Excited. Really glad for the 2 washrooms.

IMG_5032_zpssvcqh2zx.jpg

And so it was that we checked out of our lovely home, the kind man at reception ordered us a taxi, and we were off to the port! Our driver was very sweet, and quiet – are all the taxi drivers in Barcelona so mild mannered? He greeted us with a slowly enunciated “Buenos Dias” (we obviously looked VERY Canadian at that point) and politely said “Salud!” every time Bubby sneezed. The fare was 25 euros, for those of you tracking our budget. We were at the port shortly after 10:30 as planned, and as we had booked ahead of time. I don’t see any purpose to this book your boarding time thing, but we, being the polite and obedient Canadians we are, had done our due diligence ahead of time.

And there we were. Gazing longingly at the ship, we shuffled along nto the already very long line to drop off luggage. It moved fairly quickly, due in part to many trying to get into the shaded part of the lineup – no lollygaggers here! Dropped off the luggage quickly and easily (no tipping required or expected) and headed around the corner to find the next lineup. We got our walk in this morning for sure! We went through the passport check without incident, and Bubby was able to exhale at that point. Now to the strange and surreal area where decks 1-8 are separated from decks 9-14. Sounded kind of ominous to me. Movie like. Hunger Games. While passengers for decks 1-8 lugged themselves up the staircase, we were directed to two smallish elevators (smallish – because nothing could match our apartment elevator for small and cute). We waited and waited, while janitorial staff would fill one elevator (priority boarding?) and then a wheelchair here or there. Was this the end? A cruel joke? Something out of Logan's Run? Were we just too old for Carnival? Would we meet our end when the elevator doors opened? You have to know us to understand it would never cross our mind to question the sanity of what they were asking us to do. Finally, mustering all the aggressiveness and assertiveness we could as a group muster, we all piled into an elevator, and went up to the second floor. We thought. Actually, it kind of took us to the floor all the deck 1-8 people were on and we got off a little too soon, and just walked up the next flight of stairs to our proper boarding place.

There were mobs of people below, and no one up where we were. We thought at first we had gone to the wrong place – we don’t have special status on Carnival…but no, I guess no one else could find it either! Absolutely no waiting, we were awarded our precious sail and sign cards, and we headed back down to the other level to join all those getting ready to board. Was this the line up to The End? Sheesh....Bubby's paranoia was beginning to rub off on me. To usm up, there was no languid waiting involved in our getting on the ship. We were actively processing all along, and actually on it by 11:30. Yes, we endured the stupid “We’re So Hot and Tired of Carrying our Pop…er ….Soda” obligatory boarding picture….”Smile everyone!” Yeah right. On we went to get on the ship. For real. No more Sci-fi plots.

Ok, here it comes. The moment. The entry. That jaw-dropping moment of getting on a brand new-to-you ship. That moment you always remember. Nope. Didn’t happen. I was surprised at how underwhelming the atrium was. Yes, that big fixture thingy that changes colours and graphics IS impressive, but the rest of the area is not. Sorry. Honesty. I’m all about the honesty. That’s all I’ll say about that.

You should know that as a family, we do not “do” elevators. On the ship. Ever. No matter what. Ah, I know, you think it’s another anxiety thing for Bubby. Not at all! We just have to justify all the eating somehow. We explained all that to Cubby as he was a newbie to the family, and he nodded seriously. (It was later found that he did indeed take one elevator ride, but we have since chosen to turn a blind eye to that faux pas because well, we just like him so much.) Deck 9 (our new home) was closed of course, so we headed up one more flight to the buffet. Duh. We got lemonade and just sat for a while before deciding that the eating had to begin sometime…might as well be now.

There really was no question for 75% of our group where this beginning of the Great Eating would take place. I watched the carry-ons, while the others trooped over to Guy’s Burgers. I, looking all svelte and virtuous, chose lighter fair at the buffet. And dessert. And a little more dessert. Anyway……

IMG_0141_zpsxiahtnqv.jpg

IMG_5033_zpsggkg6nbs.jpg

I am really enjoying your review. It is bringing back lots of great memories of our 2014 23 day transatlantic/western med/3 days in Barcelona adventure. If you ever get back to Barcelona and are not afraid of heights do the hot air balloon ride. It was fabulous and the tour operator even talked his way out of being arrested for landing the balloon in some guys plowed over field. It was a very interesting day!! Looking forward to reading more.

IMG_0171_zpsp8wy1gp1.jpg

We met our steward Fidel, but as our rooms weren’t ready and he was looking a tad concerned that we had already arrived, we left him to his job, and toted our own bad selves and stuff back up to lido and found a shady spot to people watch and wait. Not long to wait though, and our rooms were all spotless and ready for us. Our luggage had not arrived yet so we had no need to stay in the rooms for long. Our balcony rooms were lovely – no, we did not have connecting balconies or anything like that – we had chosen to be near, on the same level as the honeymooners, but not right beside them! Helicopter parents we are not.

BY THE WAY….for the first time in our personal history….robes were IN our closet from the time we arrived! And not only were they there, they were the softest plushest robes we’ve ever had the chance not to use. I always plan to use them, but I forget…..but they WERE nice. And there.

IMG_5041_zps2ycfdvmf.jpg

In our explorations that followed, we stood in on a flamenco dancing and singing performance in Ocean Plaza, since we had not availed ourselves of the opportunity in Barcelona. I attempted clapping along with the dancers, but after receiving frowns and mild disapproving shakes of heads from my family, I quit – sometimes that classical musical training just doesn’t help – I CANNOT CLAP. In time. On the right beats. Shoot me.

14322236_1196077247118310_5403503646077987937_n.jpg?oh=0a53ab3e677474ce0469196a4561b891&oe=58781BAB

We found that things are not very punctual on the Vista. Like when they say the safety drill will be at 4:00 and no announcement comes for it until 4:30. I had heard about Carnival “ship’s time” but didn’t know that it meant ….whenever we’re good and ready and feel like it kind of time.

Unfortunately our muster station was the Liquid Lounge. A very quiet “uh oh” from Mr. MacGeever…..he falls asleep within minutes in places like this. So we had to keep nudging him, as the Carnival team was sending nasty looks our way if eyes were closing. Which of course led to wildly anxious looks from Bubby who was sure they would kick us off the ship if one of our group dozed during the safety talk. While it is nice to not have to take the life vests to the drill, we were a little concerned about not knowing where said life vests WERE in our cabin. We totally missed the signage that says clearly “life vests under the bed”. Mr. MacGeever dutifully checked to find ours – disappearing WAY under the bed to do so. Alas, no vest for Florence but Mr. MacGeever did make it out in time for dinner. I’ll just have to keep her close to me. Baggage had arrived and we unpacked. Yeah. There’s no way I can make that sound exciting. But there were lots of hangers and we found lots of space to keep our couture. (I am SO ready for France.)

14368912_1196098617116173_1786422383081677854_n.jpg?oh=42d4d5cc642712fa80680092a3f2f3a9&oe=588263BE

Bubby and Cubby were surprised and delighted to find that our wonderful TA back home had arranged for a Happy Honeymoon cake to be delivered to their room (from Cherry on Top on board). We were delighted for them. And then we were delighted for our own selves because she had also sent us a plate of sweets. You rock Tammy.

IMG_5055_zps2mhgw2dl.jpg

We, being the wild and crazy Canucks that you’ve no doubt observed that we are, then proceeded up to Deck 12 – yes, 12….to OBSERVE the sail away party (on deck 10, yes deck 10). Loads of fun, began to understand why people ask “who’s the cruise director?” because Matt quickly became our favourite.

14238199_1196098587116176_7163680136864797_n.jpg?oh=86690308ef20975b4cc4ef9418e60892&oe=586F822C

Interactive portion here – HOW DO PEOPLE KNOW ALL THE DANCE MOVES? Is it just our Baptist heritage, or does it just come naturally to people? We were incredibly impressed and awed by the passengers on this ship. They had all the moves.

We had chosen Your Time Dining which involved a tad more legwork than on our previous voyages. We were told to “check in” at a desk on level 5, where we were given a pink slip (not THAT kind of pink slip) with our table number on it, and told to go to the appropriate level of the restaurant. We had 20 minutes to get there (sounds ominous again doesn’t it) before our reservation might be given away. We weren’t sure if the 20 minutes was because (a) the ship was large (b) people have short term memory loss or (3) it was post-Olympic fervor. The 20 minute deadline was not a problem, though on the first day it could have been had we not already rehearsed the route. I did later notice that people were trying to “reserve” tables for a later time at the check-in desk. That was NOT allowed. Not. Allowed. They were not happy.

At the restaurant there are two lineups – one for walk ins (those who didn’t believe in the check-in fairy?) , and one for those who have their pink slips already. We noticed later in the cruise that fist fights were narrowly being averted (in full formal wear no less) by people not understanding why some who had not waited as long as they, were getting in before them. I’m not sure about the system, but it worked for us, so we remained Obtainers of the Pink Slips. I have since read on CC that Platinum and above hoyty toyties were given another line – I didn’t see them – they must have been on the other level.

Borislov was our man at dinner. We weren’t thrilled with our location and decided that tomorrow night, regardless of how nice Boris was, we would be trying for a place down on level 3. Did I mention that this was Cubby’s first cruise experience? Yes. He was the lone Blue card holder in our group. Carnival had him at “hamburger”. He also really liked the port of call part of the menu and tried things from it often. My favourite part of the meal was the side dish of ratatouille, but the rest was good too.

But now it was time for The Test. Yup. The Test. The “Can you get us Skim milk for Mr. MacGeever and Tea for me” test. Many have attempted, many have failed The Test. Sorry Boris. When he came, with the little juice box (with handy attached straw) of skim milk for the Man, and my pot of hot water…..well, first of all there was NO way Mr. MacGeever was going to try and sip his milk from the carton and teeny straw (he likes milk with chocolate ok?). Further, as I watched my pot of hot water, and put the tea bag into it, I noticed there was continually more water in the saucer than in the pot. I had to change saucers, because the first was beginning to overflow, before I could catch poor Boris’s attention! I believe he thought I was just very clumsy, but I managed to convey that it was the pot and not I who was at fault. We took the milk to the room and stored it in the fridge. I gave up on the tea because ironically, I couldn’t get milk for it….though Mr. Mac did offer to open his carton and squeeze me some!

Tonight’s entertainment for our group (we kept telling Bubby and Cubby they didn’t have to stay with us, but they kept tagging along!) was in Liquid Lounge. We liked the pre-show fun idea, and had no problem getting seats that became ours for the week, except for the one night when someone obviously didn’t know of our ownership. We glared. We sat close by and kept watch on our chairs. They were stalwart. We acknowledged their bravery.

Matt had us laughing so hard we were crying, the singers and dancers did a few numbers and we felt welcomed indeed. Because we had only managed to down 4 courses at dinner, we headed up to Lido (well 2 of us did…we managed to lose the others!) for some pizza. We watched them make it and savoured every bit of our mushroom pizza that was ready 4 minutes later! Since we were still awake, you can just guess what we did next! C’mon…guess. Try out one of the many bars on board? Nope. OK, I’ll help you out…we …..wait for it…..found the laundry room on our floor! AND Mr. MacGeever ironed his formal shirts. I know. We rock. Yeah. Bedtime.

I am loving your review I am from Nova Scotia also went on a med cruise 2 yrs ago sailed out of Barcelona . We loved Barcelona so much looking to book another cruise that starts there just to spend more time . We were on a Celebrity ship but have also sailed on Carnival 2 times in the past.:)