Bye Bye Lobsters

BirdTravels

RCL had lobster tails on one formal night during my August 13th sailing. I asked the waiter for a double order of the just the lobster (not the entire plate) and he didn't have an objection. I asked if he could save a tail for me for the following night and he laughed and said that he couldn't do. Overall the lobster was cooked very well, a bit light on the seasoning but a little salt/pepper fixed that. No complaints from my end and I love seafood.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would call NCL and ask to cancel the SDP, I'm sure they will understand and give you your money back, under the circumstances.

That was my first thought but since there are other items we like and we enjoy the ambiance we are going to keep the SDP.

. I personally would love to find a fair-priced cruise that provides soda, bottled water and all the Maine lobster that I want to eat.
Even though expensive, it is fair-priced for what you get and you can have all the soda, bottle water and lobster you want included in your fare. The cruise line is Crystal.

Not to play devils advocate here but I have to admit they have improved their MDR food choices a lot not to mention better desserts. There were some people that were disappointed the chocolate Buffet wast taken away from them and now no one mentions it, I certainly don't miss it. I have had great chocolate in my lifetime and that was not good chocolate, IMHO. I can absolutely see why some people will miss the Lobster, I know someone in particular who will :D

Edited by qtaromar1970

Not to play devils advocate here but I have to admit they have improved their MDR food choices a lot not to mention better desserts. There were some people that were disappointed the chocolate Buffet wast taken away from them and now no one mentions it, I certainly don't miss it. I have had great chocolate in my lifetime and that was not good chocolate, IMHO. I can absolutely see why some people will miss the Lobster, I know someone in particular who will :D

I think the MDR has drastically improved!

To go back to the room service. It is free to order any room service item if you are in a suite.

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#norwegian-cruise-line-now-charging-room-service

Unless I am at a local boil, steam or clambake... Lobster sucks, never cared for it aboard ship. Just my observation. I do like it when it is cooked to order. Any sitting around it gets a funky taste, same with prime rib and even turkey. Most people I know have no idea what I mean, but those of us that notice, know what I mean.

I am happy I am the way I am, 'cause the no lobster issue on NCL is of absolutely no consequence to me. But I do understand and feel bad for those of you that enjoyed the lobster offered in the past. I truly do not understand why it is off menu. Lobster is relatively cheap, and has been for quit some time now. Maybe it is an issue with keeping live lobster or an issue with quality vacuum sealed product.

We booked a suite and paid extra for the SPD so we could have lobster, since we live in AZ we do not get good lobster .NCL keeps getting cheaper and cheaper if we get on the ship and they do not have lobster I will cancel the next cruise a suite in POA.
If you are ever in Scottsdale, check out Morton's, they have great lobster.

Line others have said RCCL and Princess serve Lobster in the MDR on a formal night. Usually decent. Both lines are higher than NCL but nit double. With the often lower prices on NCL I can see them cutting the free lobster but it hard to understand why they have cut it in the up charge restaurants. They are making a killing already on these places.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

However, continental breakfast is still free, and the menu has a lot more items, including hot breakfast items, which it lacked before.

No, unless you are in The Haven, continental breakfast still gets the ridiculous $7.95 "service charge". I am booked on NCL for a Hawaii cruise in December but that will be my last and final NCL cruise. If they want to change the rules that is their right, but if they want to gouge all customers and those customers decide to go elsewhere that is the customers right. And I will choose that right.

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

No, unless you are in The Haven, continental breakfast still gets the ridiculous $7.95 "service charge". I am booked on NCL for a Hawaii cruise in December but that will be my last and final NCL cruise. If they want to change the rules that is their right, but if they want to gouge all customers and those customers decide to go elsewhere that is the customers right. And I will choose that right.

Another incorrect post. Read what you posted:

"Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge"

We sailed on Carnival and Princess in February this year and had lobster in the MDR and in the buffet on Princess without additional charges. Does anyone know if that is still available ?

Yes Carnival and Princess still have lobster night. But that being said, as one other poster stated, when one does it others many times will follow. I hope not in this case, but NCL will not see another one of my dollars, after this December, and if I had another choice they wouldn't see those dollars.

Unless I am at a local boil, steam or clambake... Lobster sucks, never cared for it aboard ship. Just my observation. I do like it when it is cooked to order. Any sitting around it gets a funky taste, same with prime rib and even turkey. Most people I know have no idea what I mean, but those of us that notice, know what I mean.

I am happy I am the way I am, 'cause the no lobster issue on NCL is of absolutely no consequence to me. But I do understand and feel bad for those of you that enjoyed the lobster offered in the past. I truly do not understand why it is off menu. Lobster is relatively cheap, and has been for quit some time now. Maybe it is an issue with keeping live lobster or an issue with quality vacuum sealed product.

I spoke with someone today and we talked about the lobster and she said the same thing, that she has had Nova Scotia lobster nice and fresh and she always found the lobster on NCL too fishy. According to her lobster is supposed to taste like the ocean, fresh and salty but not fishy, if it tastes like that is OLD, she said she wont miss it as well.

Edited by qtaromar1970

Most of the lobster I've seen served on cruise ships has typically been warm water "Bahamian" lobster in my experience. It is different than cold water NE lobster by a longshot - denser, stronger flavor and smaller tails. I have seen cold water NE lobster offered, but only at an upcharge. To me I'd rather have decent shrimp or scallops over warm water lobster almost any day!

Yes Carnival and Princess still have lobster night. But that being said, as one other poster stated, when one does it others many times will follow. I hope not in this case, but NCL will not see another one of my dollars, after this December, and if I had another choice they wouldn't see those dollars.

I seem to remember that Carnival changed their policy about 12-18 months ago and lobster is only served on 6 night and longer cruises now. However I could be wrong and they may have reversed that policy.

Line others have said RCCL and Princess serve Lobster in the MDR on a formal night. Usually decent. Both lines are higher than NCL but nit double. With the often lower prices on NCL I can see them cutting the free lobster but it hard to understand why they have cut it in the up charge restaurants. They are making a killing already on these places.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it is just temporary.