Is it worth buying a drinks package?

jtsbusiness

I'm sure this has been asked on numerous occasions but cant find a link to it.

Each day I will probably drink 2 - 3 glasses of wine, plus one or 2 gin and tonics or cocktails of the day. I am not a coffee drinker so don't need speciality coffees.

I can't find a link that gives me the actual prices of drinks on the ship (Vision of the Seas) so dont know whether it is worth purchasing a package or not. I realise you have to add on tax etc but again not sure whether they add this on extra for the packages.

I will be going in November this year and have never been with RCCL before

Any help would be really appreciated.

At 3 drinks per day, it will be less expensive to buy drinks one at a time.

At 5 drinks per day, it will be break even to less expensive to have a package.

Note that for the numbers to work with a package, it's every day, including port days.

Edited by clarea

Figure about $11 for a cocktail, $12 for a glass of wine. $3 for soda if you'll drink any soda, $7 for beer.

These are all pre-gratuity, and the advertised package prices are pre-gratuity as well. So 3 glasses of wine and 2 cocktails will definitely be worth it, less may not be, but will be close. 2 glasses of wine and 1 cocktail would probably not be worth it.

I have noticed that the price of wine per glass on the ships is about the same as I would pay for a bottle of the same brand in the grocery store.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by iluvit!

I have noticed that the price of wine per glass on the ships is about the same as I would pay for a bottle of the same brand in the grocery store.

Yes, the ship's price is similar to what restaurants charge.

Wine is going to run you between 8 (very few 8 dollar glasses) to 13.00 per glass. A gin and tonic will run approx 6.50. I did not include gratuity in those prices because you will still pay gratuity on the drink package as well.

Really? $6.50 for a G&T?

Must be rot gut gin?

Really? $6.50 for a G&T?

Must be rot gut gin?

You will notice the ship does not really have any terrible liquors at all. Their "Call" for gin is beefeater and from there they have tanq, gordons, bombay, tanq ten etc...

When people say 12.00 for a cocktail that is usually those custom cocktails in the menu. A typical rum and coke, vodka soda, gin and tonic is not and has never been 12.00.

You will notice the ship does not really have any terrible liquors at all. Their "Call" for gin is beefeater and from there they have tanq, gordons, bombay, tanq ten etc...

When people say 12.00 for a cocktail that is usually those custom cocktails in the menu. A typical rum and coke, vodka soda, gin and tonic is not and has never been 12.00.

When were you able to get a gin and tonic for $6.50? We are just off Anthem and were on Oasis in May and the prices for a Tangueray and Tonic were much higher than that.

In addition to serving good house brands, their pours are quite generous. My husband was recently served a rusty nail (solid liquor, no mixers) in one of those beer pint glasses! The drinks are also properly made-- a rusty nail on the Carnival Magic was once served as a chilled shooter[emoji33][emoji33]!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are the smoothies and fresh juices in Vitality included in the new package on the Oasis class ships?

Possibly, as long as they don't have protein powder. There is some conflicting info on this, so it's best to check onboard your sailing before you purchase your package.

I'd consider your normal bar bill on past cruises without the package. If it has been less than the cost of the package, forget it and just buy drinks as you go. I ignored this and purchased a drink package once and did not come close to breaking even! And we tried!

I'm sure this has been asked on numerous occasions but cant find a link to it.

Each day I will probably drink 2 - 3 glasses of wine, plus one or 2 gin and tonics or cocktails of the day. I am not a coffee drinker so don't need speciality coffees.

I can't find a link that gives me the actual prices of drinks on the ship (Vision of the Seas) so dont know whether it is worth purchasing a package or not. I realise you have to add on tax etc but again not sure whether they add this on extra for the packages.

I will be going in November this year and have never been with RCCL before

Any help would be really appreciated.

I buy it, and it includes soda, bottled water, specialty coffee plus all your drinks. 4-5 drinks a day, plus soda/water etc pay for it easily. Buy now before they remove the sale price. You could always change you mind and get a refund.

We all have to realize the drink packages are a profit making machine. It could be argued that Royal has dramatically increased their drink prices over the years to get more and more people to commit to a rather substantial sum of money for all inclusive drink packages. We all know that a normal pour of a decent liquor costs less then 1.00 (17 1.5 oz shots per 750 ml bottle) and the prices that have been negotiated makes some of the more common brands (bacardi, beefeater, Jack) more like 50 cents a pour. If they can get us pondering 400.00 for alcohol for a week over 8-13 dollars per drink they have done their job and based on the new ships on the horizon they are doing their job extremely well.

We all have to realize the drink packages are a profit making machine. It could be argued that Royal has dramatically increased their drink prices over the years to get more and more people to commit to a rather substantial sum of money for all inclusive drink packages. We all know that a normal pour of a decent liquor costs less then 1.00 (17 1.5 oz shots per 750 ml bottle) and the prices that have been negotiated makes some of the more common brands (bacardi, beefeater, Jack) more like 50 cents a pour. If they can get us pondering 400.00 for alcohol for a week over 8-13 dollars per drink they have done their job and based on the new ships on the horizon they are doing their job extremely well.

Still doesn't answer where you get a $6.50 G&T.:confused:

At 3 drinks per day, it will be less expensive to buy drinks one at a time.

At 5 drinks per day, it will be break even to less expensive to have a package.

Note that for the numbers to work with a package, it's every day, including port days.

Agreed. I know that through the course of the day, my party will hit 5-6 drinks per day. Bloody Mary or Mimosa with breakfast, 1-2 beers by the pool, 2 glasses of wine at dinner, 1-2 after dinner drinks. The beverage package has always been well worth the money. However, I'm not sure they needed to change the packages up.

True. I just compare the pricing to what I would expect to pay going out to a local restaurant or bar.

Yep. Very common anywhere that someone else is serving it to you.

I remember buying a certain bottle of wine at the store for something like $9 (in 2002). Then I saw it at a restaurant for $18. Then we were at a hotel and I looked in their wine/gift shp and it was $36 to take back to the room! wow!

So many things to consider with drink packages...we wanted one, then didn't, then they changed the package and are having a sale.... aaaargh! At this point I don't think I (or DH) can drink 6-7 drinks a day for seven days, along with the wine that we will be bringing. I want to enjoy vacation with out having to recuperate from it though! Throw in Chefs Table and their generous pours, and one day at an AI...I think you can see why we are passing. Look at how much you can comfortable drink a day over the entire cruise, take into consideration any other activities or excursions that might have you imbibing more than average, and keep in mind you can purchase the package onboard (I think for a 7 day by Wed) OR might luck into drink cards on your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Comparing off the shelf self bought bottles of liquor to the per drink cost at any establishment is not going to be favorable to the bartender made drinks. As you said, all liquor is for profit, as is anything. If you go to chops, do you think the food cost is $35 more than what you already paid? Do you go to a restaurant and expect to pay the same price as the food cost the restaurant?

In the end, are drinks more than in a typical restaurant or neighborhood bar - Yes. Are they more than most tourist locations - not from what I have seen.

For me it's not all about breaking even or saving money by buying the package. I drink enough where it is definitely worth while. My girlfriend maybe not. Even if she doesn't I like it that you can get a drink if you want without deciding if its worth $12 or I can try a drink and if I don't like it I can put it down without feeling like I just wasted money. Makes for a more relaxing cruise for me.