suggestions hotels London UK

hotrod610

Since I no longer take NORMAL people vacations, but rather stack several together at once, I am actually flying from Naples to London to get to Southampton (or planning to in 2018). I didn't realize you can do this (although not great cost or timing) but a good option to remember to check out once flights come out next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Quite a few go via Dublin and take a couple of nights there to see the sights. Works in both directions.

Edited by Bob++

A one-way pre-booked private transfer from central London will cost about £90 for a sedan & take 2 to 2.5 hours.

JB :)

Ooops, my brain in neutral. :rolleyes:

That's from Heathrow to Southampton.

From central London more like £130

JB :o

How long is the train ride? Is it expensive and easy to do? We just don't want to hassle the morning of the cruise.

We are doing a back to back and can see London during our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the time you get off the ship and take the bus or train into London, you'll have a few hours. What do you plan on seeing in that time frame? Won't be much. Your plan is not viable. You can't even see the highlights in a week, let alone a day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking for a nice Hotel not to far from Port. Coming in 2 days early. I can either book through Princess and get transfers to and from airport and hotel. Trying to figure my best option? Is a cab cheaper? Never taken a cruise out of London.

Firstly, everyone here is assuming Southampton. Double check your cruise documents, where does your ship leave from ?

Southampton ? (70 miles SW of London)

Dover ? (60 miles SE of London)

Harwich (80 miles NE of London)

Tilbury ? (10 miles E of London, but only smaller ships)

How to get there, is highly dependent on which of the above is the correct answer.

Assuming Southampton:

Yes it has an airport (code is SOU), however it's a small airport with only service to other European cities. You could fly to Paris (or Amsterdam) and on to Southampton, but most people don't, and it'll likely be more expensive.

So that leaves flying into one of London's two big airports, LHR/Heathrow (W of London) or LGW/Gatwick (S of London).

If you're going to stay in London pre-cruise, there are lots of good transportation options (train from LGW, train or subway from LHR) into central London. IN both cases a taxi will be VERY expensive (GBP60+) from the airport into Central London, taxis as a rule of thumb are going to cost approx double to what you're used to.

London to Southampton can be done by Train (from Waterloo station, book in advance on Megabus .com often under GBP10), or by coach (national express) from the Victoria Coach depot. it is reachable from other train stations (Victoria or Paddington), but Waterloo has way more trains and is faster.

If you're going to go from one of the London airports to Southampton, the best inexpensive options are coach (bus) from Heathrow, or Train from Gatwick. In both cases it's about 2hrs and 10-30GBP/ea depending on when you book.

In all cases you can use pre-booked cars from people like Smiths or West Quay Cars, but that will be more expensive than trains or coaches.

The last mile (from the Southampton bus depot or train station to the dock) is best done by taxi, or just walk it (we've always just walked it)

Edited by scottbee

Thank you OP for thus thread. We are sailing from Southampton and making final plans for June. Having opinions confirm our arrangements to coach from Heathrow 2 days prior to cruise and explore Southampton (have already explored London) is a relief. Thanks to the helpful cc posters.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

John Bull,

I have booked the Hampton in Waterloo (always book cancellable). I have looked at the Megatrain from Southampton to Waterloo station. Is the megatrain a good choice? This seems walkable to the Hampton. Tickets are not available yet.

I also see that I can take the tube - with one change - from Waterloo to Heathrow. Our flight is on a Tuesday at 12:40 pm so hopefully will avoid rush hour.

I live in an area without subways but have been on them in other cities. Will I be lost in Waterloo station or be able to figure it out okay? I have researched stations that have lifts to make life easier on the way to Heathrow.

Thanks for your and others great advice.

Gail

John Bull,

I have booked the Hampton in Waterloo (always book cancellable). I have looked at the Megatrain from Southampton to Waterloo station. Is the megatrain a good choice? This seems walkable to the Hampton. Tickets are not available yet.

I also see that I can take the tube - with one change - from Waterloo to Heathrow. Our flight is on a Tuesday at 12:40 pm so hopefully will avoid rush hour.

I live in an area without subways but have been on them in other cities. Will I be lost in Waterloo station or be able to figure it out okay? I have researched stations that have lifts to make life easier on the way to Heathrow.

Thanks for your and others great advice.

Gail

Hi again, Gail.

Although booking through megatrain makes perfect sense in the Waterloo to Southampton direction, there's a big snag in the Southampton to London direction.

Use a random date for about a month from now to check out the times of trains available through https://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

The earliest train available through megatrain isn't til around 1pm.

So that leaves you hanging around in Southampton for 3 to 4 valuable hours.

Bear in mind that megatrain is to encourage the use of half-full trains - in the mornings few folk head to Southampton, but plenty of folk head to London for business meetings, shopping & such. And if there were cheap tickets into London in the mornings they wouldn't be able to gouge the commuters.

Regular morning fares to London Waterloo http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ are around £41.

You can reduce that fare to about £35 with a split-ticket purchase. Buy, in advance, a ticket Southampton to Basingstoke & a ticket Basingstoke to Waterloo. It's just a quirk of the pricing & doesn't affect your journey - you can choose any Waterloo-bound train & there's no need to change trains at Basingstoke, you simply stay on the train & your second ticket is valid after Basingstoke.

(Split-ticketing is only permitted on trains that actually stop at the selected intermediate station - but all Southampton to Waterloo trains stop there, so that limitation is irrelevant)

Whether it's worth the grief to save £5 to £7 pp is up to you, but here's the booking site https://raileasy.trainsplit.com/fares.aspx

There's also a direct hourly service from Southampton to London Victoria for around £18, but it takes a longer route (via Gatwick), journey time 2.5 hours compared to 90 minutes on the Waterloo route - then you need a tube (one change) or taxi (£12 ??) to your Waterloo hotel.

Yes, by tube from Waterloo to Heathrow involves one change, at a choice of three stations - it needs a Londoner to tell you which is easiest with luggage.

There'll still be the remnants of the commuter period when you leave for the airport - I guess around 8.45 to 9am.

Or a private transfer.

Because of your direction of travel, a hotel in Victoria would better suit your logistics and your pocket. Train to Victoria rail station at £18 or National Express bus to Victoria coach station at about £6 & from Victoria coach station to Heathrow also about £6.

That said, I rate the Waterloo area more convenient for the sights & riverfront.

All of which makes it difficult to choose between options

- expensive morning train to Waterloo (with or without a small split-ticketing saving), or cheap afternoon train to Waterloo, or mid-price but slow morning train to Victoria, or mid-price but slow morning Nat Express bus to Victoria.

And hotel in Waterloo or Victoria.

I guess I'd stick with Hampton Inn & bite the bullet for a morning train, but there are pros & cons for all those choices.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of others.

For your booked hotel the most convenient exit from Waterloo Station is the one by the Jubilee line - as you come off the train from Southampton head to the far right of the station and follow the signs, down an escalator and out of the station before reaching the underground gates. This puts you on Waterloo Road - turn right and your hotel would be a couple of 'blocks' down on the other side of the road (cross at a convenient set of lights!)

From where you are, if using the tube, I'd use the Jubilee line to Green Park from Waterloo (entering via the exit described above on Waterloo Road) and change there to the Piccadilly line for Heathrow. But do not follow the signs for the Piccadilly line at Green Park, head for the exit, which takes you to surface level via escalator, then follow signs to Piccadilly line down another set of escalators to your right (do not actually exit through the gate line).

From where you are, if using the tube, I'd use the Jubilee line to Green Park from Waterloo (entering via the exit described above on Waterloo Road) and change there to the Piccadilly line for Heathrow. But do not follow the signs for the Piccadilly line at Green Park, head for the exit, which takes you to surface level via escalator, then follow signs to Piccadilly line down another set of escalators to your right (do not actually exit through the gate line).
If changing at Green Park, I second this. I had to do this (but in reverse) this morning with a suitcase, and it reminded me how dreary the signposted route is, as well as being impractical with luggage.

We wouldn't normally do this, though. Our preferred route is Jubilee Line to Westminster, District Line to Barons Court, Piccadilly Line to Heathrow. The change at Westminster is easy on escalators (though it can be fiddly if using lifts), and the change at Barons Court is across a narrow platform, with about 10 feet between trains.

If changing at Green Park, I second this. I had to do this (but in reverse) this morning with a suitcase, and it reminded me how dreary the signposted route is, as well as being impractical with luggage.

We wouldn't normally do this, though. Our preferred route is Jubilee Line to Westminster, District Line to Barons Court, Piccadilly Line to Heathrow. The change at Westminster is easy on escalators (though it can be fiddly if using lifts), and the change at Barons Court is across a narrow platform, with about 10 feet between trains.

Yes, of course, that's a much better route. I don't do the tube to LHR anymore, so that's my excuse! I'd head straight to Paddington and take the HEX :)

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

What is your thought about taking taxi or car service to Heathrow versus tube? Our flight to US departs at 12:30 pm.

Plenty do.

But don't just hail a black cab for that distance.

Pre-book a private transfer, I guess around £40.

Sorry, no recommendations - not my corner of the country. But doubtless others can

Or ask your hotel to fix it. Probably about £5 more, but if it doesn't arrive on time - their problem.

Won't be quicker than the tube, but no traffic problems that time of day (9.30 pick-up?)

And no grief with the bags

Edited by John Bull

What is your thought about taking taxi or car service to Heathrow versus tube? Our flight to US departs at 12:30 pm.

I have used http://www.justairports.com a private car service from LHR to London hotel and London hotel to LHR a few times. Use your hotel's postal code to get a quote. It is nice to be met at the airport after a long flight and pick you up at your hotel for the drive to the airport.

What is your thought about taking taxi or car service to Heathrow versus tube?
Taking a taxi or car is comfortable. Taking the Tube is cheap. That's the basic difference.

I usually do the latter, but sometimes I wimp out and do the former.

From Waterloo, a taxi/car would probably shave something like 15 minutes off the journey time by Tube at that time of the day. In particular, given that you're starting from the Hampton Inn on Waterloo Road, a Tube journey would have to start with the 5+ minute walk to the entrance to the Tube on Waterloo Road, although at least that is basically the Jubilee Line entrance so you're in the right place to start the Tube journey itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone stayed at The Royal Horseguard hotel in London? Is it in a good area for attractions. I was thinking of staying at the Double Tree by Hilton next to Victoria Station because we are arriving at Gatwick and taking the train to Victoria Station and thereby would only have to walk to the hotel. But I am looking for better value for my dollar meaning that to stay at the Horseguard isn't much more in cost.

Thank you.

Laura

Has anyone stayed at The Royal Horseguard hotel in London? Is it in a good area for attractions. I was thinking of staying at the Double Tree by Hilton next to Victoria Station because we are arriving at Gatwick and taking the train to Victoria Station and thereby would only have to walk to the hotel. But I am looking for better value for my dollar meaning that to stay at the Horseguard isn't much more in cost.

Thank you.

Laura

We have not stayed there but do walk by it often. It is a great location for walking to many places including a lovely walk across the Themes to all the attractions on the south bank. It would always be our choice over anything near Victoria Station.

Thank you.

Laura

You don't have to take the train to Victoria from Gatwick. If you stay at the Royal Horseguards (a much better option, IMHO), you can take the Thameslink train to Blackfriars, then switch to the Underground - District line to Embankment, an easy walk to the hotel. Or still go to Victoria and take the District line from there, or a bus if you prefer. Or even train to London Bridge station then connect to a train to Charing Cross. All very doable, all very easy.

If you stay at the Royal Horseguards (a much better option, IMHO), you can take the Thameslink train to Blackfriars, then switch to the Underground - District line to Embankment, an easy walk to the hotel. Or still go to Victoria and take the District line from there, or a bus if you prefer.
Changing from a mainline train to the District Line is easier at Blackfriars than at Victoria, because it's step-free at the former but not at the latter.

Embankment Tube, though, is not step-free up from the District Line IIRC.

Or even train to London Bridge station then connect to a train to Charing Cross.
Normally this would be a very good idea, because changing trains at London Bridge should now be step-free, and there are step-free walking routes from Charing Cross mainline platforms down to the Royal Horseguards Hotel.

However, there are no trains from London Bridge to Charing Cross until about August 2018 because of the extensive building works going on at and around London Bridge station (where, I have to say, the new stuff is looking really good).

However, there are no trains from London Bridge to Charing Cross until about August 2018 because of the extensive building works going on at and around London Bridge station (where, I have to say, the new stuff is looking really good).

The Charing Cross services restarted when they opened the first stage of the downstairs concourse. It's Thameslink that's not stopping still, I believe.

Thank you all very much for your replies and suggestions/advice. Have decided to stay at The Horseguard. Still not sure the route we will take to get there. Might stick with the Gatwick to Victoria and take a cab from there. Or if I am feeling really brave I might try one of your suggestions.

Can I ask a really stupid question..."what does step-free mean?"

Thanks

Laura

Edited by tradingspaces

Can I ask a really stupid question..."what does step-free mean?"

Thanks

Laura

There are no stupid questions.

It means that you will not have to haul your luggage up or down any steps. The London Underground, being what it is, has a great many stairs, escalators and lifts to get you from street level to the trains. Sometimes it is possible to change trains on the same level.

Edited by Bob++

In London transport speak, "Step-free access means lifts, ramps and level surfaces so you don't have to use stairs or escalators, and can avoid the step and gap onto our trains, buses and boats."

Lifts in this context meaning elevators, of course. Some London Underground stations are very deep, but access may be primarily by long escalators. Some folk are happy taking luggage on those, others less so. And there are some stations where it is not possible to avoid flights of steps - the system was built before much consideration was given to the less mobile, and in places it is really hard to improve.

Those of us who travel around London on a daily basis almost instinctively know our best routes. For visitors it can be a bit overwhelming, I know, especially the mixture of Underground, Overground, Docklands Light Railway, suburban and national rail services - it all makes much more sense when you are here and actually using the system :)

And to continue on the theme of 'steps-free', got a link here years ago for an excellent UK website that shows your accessibility options: https://www.directenquiries.com/. The underground section gives very detailed instructions on how to travel between platform and street level.

One note about Victoria: when we were there last summer, there were major road works around the station, making traffic a hot mess. Locals can confirm whether this is still an issue, but personally I'd be in a 'anything-but-Victoria' mindset if my final destination was Royal Horseguards.

The Charing Cross services restarted when they opened the first stage of the downstairs concourse. It's Thameslink that's not stopping still, I believe.
Oops, sorry - I read the notice the wrong way round!

So yes, you can now get from London Bridge to Charing Cross. (It's Cannon Street that you can't now get to instead, and I think that you're right about Thameslink too.)

I thank you all again, this really is fabulous information that would have taken me a long time to figure out and might have missed out on some interesting experiences.

Those of us who travel around London on a daily basis almost instinctively know our best routes. For visitors it can be a bit overwhelming, I know, especially the mixture of Underground, Overground, Docklands Light Railway, suburban and national rail services - it all makes much more sense when you are here and actually using the system :)

Boy do I agree with that statement!!! Where I come from we have buses and light rail, mostly above ground. Trying to figure it all out makes ones heads spin, but so looking forward to it all!!

Edited by tradingspaces