Power strips allowed?

WeddNcruise

From Carnivals FAQ:

Power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

I would suggest you carry it on and possibly print a copy of the rules from FAQ incase there is a question.

Without a surge protector.

Didn't know this, but glad ours didn't have it. It turned out that we only found 1 outlet in our room, so when we got off at Catalina Island, we bought a power strip for less than $10 from Leo's Drugs (love that place). We put it on top of our desk and used it for hair dryer, charging our phones, cameras, etc.

Why?

We learned this the hard way.

On our recent Alaska cruise on the Legend, we brought our power strip, as usual, but on the second day, my DD (16) plugged her hairdryer in it and then her TV, and some lights didn't work.

The power strip went bad and blew the fuse, I guess.

Maintenance came and fixed the TV and lights, by doing something in the wall box in the cabin.

He explained that the power strip should not have a surge protector, that's what went wrong. We weren't aware of that.

It was actually fine charging our camera, phones, etc, with only one outlet.

Edited by tonit964
spelling error

Are power strips allowed? And if they are should I place it in my luggage or carry on?

I had mine lifted from me on my last cruise and returned and disembarking. I specifically brought a surge protector to protect my CPAP machine and to ensure I could use the machine at my bedside. No explanation was given for taking it away except, "Not safe." I did need a cord to reach the bed -- only outlet was on the desk. They brought me a 100-foot long extension cord to use instead. If I were you, I'd put it in my carry-on. It will save you waiting with hundreds of others in "suitcase jail" to find out why your suitcase did not arrive.

Are power strips allowed? And if they are should I place it in my luggage or carry on?

I had mine lifted from me on my last cruise and returned and disembarking. I specifically brought a surge protector to protect my CPAP machine and to ensure I could use the machine at my bedside. No explanation was given for taking it away except, "Not safe." I did need a cord to reach the bed -- only outlet was on the desk. They brought me a 100-foot long extension cord to use instead. If I were you, I'd put it in my carry-on. It will save you waiting with hundreds of others in "suitcase jail" to find out why your suitcase did not arrive.

Just so you know, the types of power (voltage) surges that surge protectors protect your equipment from on shore do not happen on ships. You will not see 10,000 volts coming to your CPAP from a blown pole transformer, and lightning, even if it hits the ship, travels to the ocean through the hull, which is isolated from the electrical system. So, not only are surge protectors dangerous, they are unneeded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You haven't said what boat you are travelling on. they are not allowed on Carnival ships departing from Sydney. If you want a power strip, the ship supplies it for you

I have brought a power strip with an on- off button every cruise without ever having a problem.

An on off/ button is not necessarily surge protected. And while you may have been successful if it had a surge protector it was against the rules and yours just wasn't detected.

Because there is no "grounding" on a ship...it will blow their circuits! Just plug and unplug as needed...you don't need all those outlets!

Wrong again, cb. There is grounding on a ship, it is required for safety, it is just that the grounding system is different. A surge protector will not "blow their circuits", and you have no idea whether someone needs more than one outlet or not. A working surge protector does just that, it works fine, but it is a ticking time bomb, as the more frequently it is exposed to low level reverse voltages that are experienced on ships, the more likely it is to fail and catch fire, all without "blowing a circuit" or tripping a circuit breaker.

I know this is another of your "drive by" posts where you give out incorrect information, and you never come back, but for the benefit of others I will point out your posting flaws.

An on off/ button is not necessarily surge protected. And while you may have been successful if it had a surge protector it was against the rules and yours just wasn't detected.

For 14 cruises? Wow, that's lucky! I wish I had smuggled booze!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by patrice1