UK cruises, new gratuities

antsp

This will be our fourth cruise with Princess and all you need to do as soon as you are onboard is to go to reception and say that you will be sorting out your own tips and to remove the 'fine' for 'tips' from our onboard account... Sorted! (We happily present our own personal cabin staff with a 'tip' at the end of our cruise).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's like saying all Americans tip, it's a personal choice not a national one

I'm just agreeing with the poster.

If you don't like his comment, pick a fight with him.

Or, simply read the posts in this thread, and the location

of the posters...

This will be our fourth cruise with Princess and all you need to do as soon as you are onboard is to go to reception and say that you will be sorting out your own tips and to remove the 'fine' for 'tips' from our onboard account... Sorted! (We happily present our own personal cabin staff with a 'tip' at the end of our cruise).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But if you remove the auto-gratuity and give this directly to your cabin steward, they are not allowed to keep it, they have to turn it in to the pool. They can only keep it if you have not removed your auto gratuity.

but... but... but... its personal choice

I dont deny ALL the onboard staff do an incredible job, cant be easy trying to get thousands of people fed, watered, entertained, cabins clean, tidy and presentable - I`m British I dont tip...

Cruisefan2012

Sounds like a bit of an oxymoron to me!

This is from the Princess contract on my up coming cruise. Note what I highlighted in RED

GRATUITY PAYMENT INFORMATION

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of USD 13.95 per guest for mini-suites and suites, and USD 12.95 per guest in all other staterooms, per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account. Effective on voyages departing on or after December 15, 2016, the gratuity charge will be USD 15.50 per guest for suites, USD 14.50 per guest for mini-suites, and USD 13.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff that help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, buffet stewards, stateroom stewards, and housekeeping staff. For your convenience, this gratuity can be pre-paid before you sail by calling us or logging in to your Cruise Personalizer online at http://www.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer. Pre-paid gratuities may be added up to two days prior to your embarkation.

You have complete discretion to adjust these gratuities while onboard; however, gratuities may only be adjusted prior to disembarking the ship.

But if you remove the auto-gratuity and give this directly to your cabin steward, they are not allowed to keep it, they have to turn it in to the pool. They can only keep it if you have not removed your auto gratuity.

This rumor has gotten around quite a bit. Can you provide the documentation to substantiate this rumor. I've been told it's rubbish.

This rumor has gotten around quite a bit. Can you provide the documentation to substantiate this rumor. I've been told it's rubbish.

Can you provide documentation to prove it's rubbish?

The best way would be a copy of an princess employee contract,

with a relavent section.

I look forward to the post.

Edited by pablo222

No documentation required, not considered a rumour as far as I am concerned, just plain fact, or are you just attempting to be inflammatory?

My information is clear and simple, if you know any differently then so be it, I have no problem with that, folk will believe whatever they wish, not a problem to me, just factual.

My information is based on the following....I have been involved in the travel industry for over forty years and own three travel companies. I obviously have contacts in the cruise industry and more specifically in this case at Princess, who I have asked the question of. I have travelled many times with Princess myself and have made it a point of asking direct questions of senior management, both at head office level and indeed on-board, concerning both this topic and numerous others travel related. I consider this particular question regarding the rules and regulations concerning gratuities to be an important one as I am constantly being asked to clarify the issue by my clients. I also verify the information provided with on-board crew members in order to satisfy myself that I am not simply accepting “the Company line”.

At all levels I have been assured that the cabin steward is required to hand into their departmental management all “tips” that passengers gift to their steward. At the end of the cruise all gratuities that have originated from passengers who have left their auto-gratuities in place have these additional “tips” returned to the steward. Any gratuity that has been handed directly to their steward from a passenger who has removed their auto-gratuity does not have these handed back as it is deposited in the crew “pool”. Subsequently, these are distributed by a percentage formula amongst crew members who Princess has determined participate in the “pool”, simple and fair I would say!

Now, if you dispute these plain and simple facts, and I notice that you do indeed like to be contentious, then so be it, it is not a problem to me.

Readers of this forum can and do make their own minds up but having passed on my own knowledge on the subject I am positively exiting from this gratuity thread, never to return!

• 4 weeks later...
but... but... but... its personal choice

I dont deny ALL the onboard staff do an incredible job, cant be easy trying to get thousands of people fed, watered, entertained, cabins clean, tidy and presentable - I`m British I dont tip...

Cruisefan2012

Yes it is a personal choice! However, having sailed with Brit's & Aussy's who don't tip, I have noticed that on quite a few of these threads "They" are the ones who seem to complain the most about poor service! But we have also noticed that quite a few do tip and I am sure the Crew appreciates them.

On a recent cruise out of Vancouver to Hawaii, those of from south of the boarder (Yanks) were vastly in the minority. While the vast majority of the Canadians were very friendly and courteous some were just like some Yanks! Rather stingy! The Crew seemed to find out which of us hadn't removed the auto-tip and believe me we received excellent service. One Canadian couple saw our service and asked how do we get such fast and good service? Were we somebody famous? I simply answered "No" we just are "good tipper's"!

I believe that you get what you pay for and I want good service, therefore we TIP!

Just Mike

I'm British, I DO tip....not following the logic... for 60 years I never new that as a Brit I was not supposed to tip?

Thanks for your post because it does show that it is a matter of personal preference. Tipping can be used to show appreciation for their efforts!

Just Mike

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

The Crew seemed to find out which of us hadn't removed the auto-tip and believe me we received excellent service. One Canadian couple saw our service and asked how do we get such fast and good service? Were we somebody famous? I simply answered "No" we just are "good tipper's"!

Just Mike

Whilst I am quite happy to tip extra for someone who has gone above and beyond to provide a special service and I do tip the room steward/assistance steward, I don't consider that I should tip people for doing their job. Yes, its a rotten job, but (I presume) its their choice. I pay for a certain level of service, which should be provided as standard, not just for those people who tip extra. After all, I don't get tips for doing my day job.

Of course I get paid, so do the crew on the ship - that's my point!

People in the tip pool do not get 'paid'.

Their total income is from tips.

That is my point.

Princess (and other cruise lines) have created an absurd system

where the people who tip carry the people who cancel.

After reading cruise critic for a while, I have no interest in carrying others.

Everyone should simply pay their share.

A way to do this would be to call it a daily 'service' charge, and charge

everyone. A 'service' charge is something european hotel guests

may be familiar with.

Edited by pablo222

Yes it is a personal choice! However, having sailed with Brit's & Aussy's who don't tip, I have noticed that on quite a few of these threads "They" are the ones who seem to complain the most about poor service! But we have also noticed that quite a few do tip and I am sure the Crew appreciates them.

On a recent cruise out of Vancouver to Hawaii, those of from south of the boarder (Yanks) were vastly in the minority. While the vast majority of the Canadians were very friendly and courteous some were just like some Yanks! Rather stingy! The Crew seemed to find out which of us hadn't removed the auto-tip and believe me we received excellent service. One Canadian couple saw our service and asked how do we get such fast and good service? Were we somebody famous? I simply answered "No" we just are "good tipper's"!

I believe that you get what you pay for and I want good service, therefore we TIP!

Just Mike

Thanks for your post because it does show that it is a matter of personal preference. Tipping can be used to show appreciation for their efforts!

Just Mike

I must admit that I find this post a bit strange in that tipping etiquette in Canada, unlike the UK, Australia, and New Zealand, is very similar to the US. While you might have some stingy Canadians, just like you have some stingy Americans when it comes to tipping, in general the behavior between the two countries is pretty similar.

Pablo222

I am curious as to what to mean by they do not get paid.

Is there staff on the boats who do not receive a salary at all?

Is their only source of income from the added tips per room?

I have never cruised before and doing my first one next month

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pablo222

I am curious as to what to mean by they do not get paid.

Is there staff on the boats who do not receive a salary at all?

Is their only source of income from the added tips per room?

I have never cruised before and doing my first one next month

Yes, all staff do get a salary.

However, those in tipping positions such as the cabin stewards, dining personnel and bar personnel get a low salary and depend on tips to make much of their income.

Bar personnel get their tips from a mandatory 15% charge added to any beverage that is sold.

Cabin stewards and dining personnel get their tips from the "auto-tip" that is added to all passengers' on board accounts unless cancelled by the passenger once on board.

Of course passengers can give additional cash tips to bar personnel, cabin stewards and dining personnel. For the cabin stewards and dining personnel, these cash tips may be kept by them only if the passenger did not cancel or reduce the "auto-tip."

Yes, all staff do get a salary.

However, those in tipping positions such as the cabin stewards, dining personnel and bar personnel get a low salary and depend on tips to make much of their income.

Bar personnel get their tips from a mandatory 15% charge added to any beverage that is sold.

Cabin stewards and dining personnel get their tips from the "auto-tip" that is added to all passengers' on board accounts unless cancelled by the passenger once on board.

Of course passengers can give additional cash tips to bar personnel, cabin stewards and dining personnel. For the cabin stewards and dining personnel, these cash tips may be kept by them only if the passenger did not cancel or reduce the "auto-tip."

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought that was a bit strange