Street maps

magiwzw

Hi

I'm going on a mediterranean tour soon and want to know if the boat (NCL) have any street maps for the towns ie Cannes & Marseille as we would like to wander at leisure. Sometimes outlets have folding maps/brouchures etc of places of interest, does the information desk carry such thing?.

I know Google is the best option but only if wifi/internet works.

Many thanks

+1

Even when tourist kiosks do have maps' date=' they often aren't complete and emphasize the shops that paid for advertising.[/quote']

Hmmmmmmm.............

that's been my experience of maps issued by the cruise ships & geared to shops that give them commission

We've found that those provided by tourist info offices (often in the cruise terminals) are pretty decent

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Hi there

I spend some time on googlemaps really studying the areas where I am going (not the whole city). On earth view you can see the buildings themselves. You can see the city with subways/bus routes/restaurants highlighted. When I am driving in some cities I feel like I have been there before. You can keep your GPS, I know where I am going before heading out.

You can print out important areas for each city and you can put notes on the sides with addresses or telephone numbers that you might need. I put these sheets in a folder in order that they will be used. They go with all my other travel papers, air, hotel, car. If I don't feel I will need them any more I throw things away daily.

Small city maps are Ok but what I have gives me more detail. Large maps are just a nuisance to use. When in doubt you can always ask for directions. Take the time to learn some useful phrases, when you don't know the language (you can get this on the internet without buying or carrying actual books) and practice some these phrases before you leave.(unless you don't plan on doing anything on your own) People will appreciate your effort.

hope this helps

have a great trip

Google Maps is your friend if you preload the area (s) where you'll be. The hardest thing while traveling anywhere away from the States, regardless of what type of mapping gadget you might have, is to find the name of the street that you are likely standing on. Street signs in the Med or anywhere in Europe are not like the ones we're used to and can pose quite a challenge when looking for points of interest. To further confuse visitors most cheap maps don't have a Compass Rose to at least give you a direction to go (north, south, east or west).

When leaving your ship or the location where your launch, coach or tour arrives and departs mark it on the map on your tablet or phone. You will not need wifi if you've preloaded the maps where wifi is available - like home.

Many hand held devices that have GPS have a MOB (man over board) feature that will store the place you enter (dock or tour locations as an example) and will guide you back to that spot. MOB traces every place/move you have made. It's very similar to hitting 'Home' on a cars Nav system except a cars Nav system will choose the rout and not usually trace every move you've made like MOB. I use MOB all the time when sailing as well as when exploring any unfamiliar place I might be visiting. I don't leave home without it when exploring new places.

Tip from Rick Steves' Guides that paid off for us. When we got of the train in Pisa I immediately looked for the circle shaped sign with a big "I" in it near the train station. Tourist Information office. Very helpful lady there (with excellent English) gave us a map showed us the route to the cathedral area.

But in general we take our own. Ship maps are pretty worthless.