Port of Tampa - Will I Make It

sc4125

I am booked for the Nov. 3 sailing of the Paradise. I just booked last week so that I could go on a short 4 day cruise with family who were already booked.

I just learned today that a Supervisory Meeting scheduled for Nov 3rd is mandatory - it's scheduled until 4:00 - however, my supervisor has said that if I attend the morning session, return after lunch (at 1:00 - 1:30) and sign in, I could then "sneak out". The port is about a one hour drive - I know I have to be onboard at 3:00 for a 4:00 sail away.

My question is - if I make it to the port by 2:30 - do you think 30 minutes is enough time to park and check in? I believe Tampa has a valet parking option which I would use if it would speed things up. I am Platinum, but I don't think that will matter in this case. I guess I'm asking - if I'm in the terminal by 3:00will they let me check in - or do I have to actually be onboard at 3:00?

My question is - if I make it to the port by 2:30 - do you think 30 minutes is enough time to park and check in? It should be.

I guess I'm asking - if I'm in the terminal by 3:00will they let me check in - or do I have to actually be onboard at 3:00? We prefer that guests arrive "by 3:00ish" so you should be ok.

See you here on November 3rd!

I have left out of Tampa but I live in Tampa. I probably could have gone into work that morning, left after lunch, checked in at the port around 2 and it would have been fine. I sailed in July so part time residents (students and snowbirds) were no longer a traffic factor.

If you're coming in on I-4, it's always a roll of the dice so give yourself an additional 30 minutes for any I-4 problems. I-75 North or South shouldn't be a delay of more than 15-20 minutes depending on if you're coming in from the Sunshine Skyway (downtown St. Pete can be a slight delay) or from I-275 from Pasco county.

I took Uber to the port so we didn't have to worry about parking. The port does have a parking garage and it's two to three blocks from the port. I can't say if there's valet or what time valet closes before sail away.

Barring some traffic catastrophe, you should ok.

Thanks for all the replies. I will be coming in from Lakeland on I-4. You guys have no idea what a "planner" I am - this is going to be beyond stressful - but, I'm trying to keep telling myself that if I don't make it, at least my sister will have a cabin to herself (lol). Also, I won't be out a lot of $$. This was booked on a Pack n Play rate, so the loss is bearable -it could certainly be much worse.

I'll just give it my best shot. My mom always use to tell me "things always happen for a reason."

I live in Tampa and think you will be fine. The Port of Tampa does have valet parking and failing that, the parking garage is directly across the street from the Port. We have used the valet option and it worked out fine. Bit of delay getting our car back in one of the two instances but that can be true anywhere. Have a great cruise.

We just came back from a cruise of the Paradise. If you go to the Port of Tampa website you can pre-pay for valet parking. Then when you get to the terminal, just pull up right in front, hand your keys to one of the guys wearing the valet vests, and run. We did this and went from the car through check-in in about 15 minutes.

Edited by SRQbeachgirl

I live in Plant City. It's cutting it close, but it won't take you an hour to get to the port in Tampa. I think you'll be okay.

I live in Lakeland & will be travelling I-4, but the training class is in Winter Haven which is why the 1 hour drive. I'm just a worrier by nature. I've been trying to learn to go with the flow - so this will be a real test!!

We just came back from a cruise of the Paradise. If you go to the Port of Tampa website you can pre-pay for valet parking. Then when you get to the terminal, just pull up right in front, hand your keys to one of the guys wearing the valet vests, and run. We did this and went from the car through check-in in about 15 minutes.

Thank you so much for the advise. I knew there was valet available, but had never used it - I will definitely go online & pre-pay for the valet. I've never noticed the guys in the valet vests, but you can bet I will find one real fast!!

My suggestion is to download the Waze app to your phone and use that for your drive to the port in the morning. Before you actually put the car into drive, you can check the "routes" page and get three alternative driving routes listed with times, mileage and whether it is a toll route or not.

Waze might even redirect you during the drive based on real-time traffic conditions. Listening to that voice can save you a lot of time versus simply driving the route you know.

Enjoy your cruise!

I live in Lakeland & will be travelling I-4, but the training class is in Winter Haven which is why the 1 hour drive. I'm just a worrier by nature. I've been trying to learn to go with the flow - so this will be a real test!!

Eww. Yeah. That's a solid hour. At least you know you won't hit traffic if you take the Parkway from WH to I-4 in Plant City. At that time of day, I can't imagine you'll hit traffic. At least there's options via Crosstown if something is hinky. Good luck! I would be a nervous wreck!

And your supervisor sucks for not letting you leave at 1:00! :mad:

I just printed my boarding pass for our upcoming trip (out of Galveston) and there is a 1-800 number on it to call if you are delayed. I would think if you were close at 2:45, call that number and let them know you are close. It might make a difference if your 5-10 minutes late of 3 cut off.

I work from Lakeland once a month. Afternoon traffic between 1-3 can get congested through Plant City (rarely accidents, slow drivers) and close to the Ybor City exit on I-4. If things get slow around Exit 1, you can take the new Selmon connector and that will drop you off pretty close to the port.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies. I will be coming in from Lakeland on I-4. You guys have no idea what a "planner" I am - this is going to be beyond stressful - but, I'm trying to keep telling myself that if I don't make it, at least my sister will have a cabin to herself (lol). Also, I won't be out a lot of $$. This was booked on a Pack n Play rate, so the loss is bearable -it could certainly be much worse.

I'll just give it my best shot. My mom always use to tell me "things always happen for a reason."

You're looking a little sick to me. Maybe you ought to call in sick on that day. Did I hear little cough? Just sayin....

I am booked for the Nov. 3 sailing of the Paradise. I just booked last week so that I could go on a short 4 day cruise with family who were already booked.

I just learned today that a Supervisory Meeting scheduled for Nov 3rd is mandatory - it's scheduled until 4:00 - however, my supervisor has said that if I attend the morning session, return after lunch (at 1:00 - 1:30) and sign in, I could then "sneak out". The port is about a one hour drive - I know I have to be onboard at 3:00 for a 4:00 sail away.

My question is - if I make it to the port by 2:30 - do you think 30 minutes is enough time to park and check in? I believe Tampa has a valet parking option which I would use if it would speed things up. I am Platinum, but I don't think that will matter in this case. I guess I'm asking - if I'm in the terminal by 3:00will they let me check in - or do I have to actually be onboard at 3:00?

Might even be worthwhile to see about attending the meetings via smart phone (Periscope, Skype) while driving to the port. That way you could attend and actually leave by noon (or whenever the lunch break starts.

Just FYI, they will still allow passengers to check in even if they arrive past the cutoff time. But you do need to contact the cruise line to let them know that you're running late.

We had this situation driving down from Georgia to Port Canaveral (we decided to drive the 7 hours to the port on the day of departure and I completely misjudged how long it would REALLY take us to get there [emoji20]). We literally made it there at 4:00pm, right at departure time.

We pulled up to an empty cruise terminal with a lonely employee and a walkie talkie. We told her who we were and she got on the walkie talkie and said "they are here". We parked the car and they just told us to proceed onboard. They finished the check in process on the ship at the Guest Services desk. I have never in my life been that close to missing the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums