Military Tattoo in Edinburgh On Our Own

MalibuCA

I'm quite upset by your response picking at my spelling. For some time now I have tried my best to help visitors to Edinburgh. I have no agenda. I live here. I eat in many restaurants of all types, I visit the different sights all year round - in short I LOVE this city. I am glad you enjoy the Witchery so much. Its style is just not for me, that's all. I simply pointed out there are many options of fine dining in Edinburgh much loved by locals, I replied to JeffandMelissa. I don't know why this has now become a discussion about The Witchery instead of their questions being answered :confused:

I just wanted to be sure we were talking about the same place.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been away for a few days.

Glad the info for Queensferry was helpful.

Some suggestions for restaurants close by include:

Angels with Bagpipes

Michael Neaves Kitchen and Whisky bar

Maison Bleue

Whiski Rooms

They are all a short walk to the Castle and you could check them out on TripAdvisor.

I've never been to The Wychery but I know it appeals to tourists. if I wanted fine dining in that area, I would prefer to go to Castle Terrace.

George Mellis is probably the cheesemonger you've heard about. There is a branch on Victoria Street, just off the Royal Mile.

The taxis mentioned on our website on this page tend to be smaller outfits.

http://www.cruiseforth.com/content/getting-around-rosyth/

Of the first three mentioned we regularly use Tony's for transport into Edinburgh and he is very fair. He is one of the drivers who holds a Welcome Host badge. We personally have also used Go Ra's, Premier and A1TCH but I have to say they all have standards to maintain or they would lose their operator's licence.

Hope that helps.

Tartan - thank you so very much for all this information! You are so wonderful, sharing your knowledge and time in helping me with my inquiries.

We've made reservations at a hotel right off the Royal Mile for the night of Day 1....we really like the idea of being right there despite having the cruise ship there too. Just another adventure.

I've made notes of the restaurants that you mentioned and I'll check the cruiseforth website on the taxi services and make those reservations accordingly.

Thanks again for all your help!

Melissa

Edited by JeffandMelissa

Tartan - thank you so very much for all this information! You are so wonderful, sharing your knowledge and time in helping me with my inquiries.

We've made reservations at a hotel right off the Royal Mile for the night of Day 1....we really like the idea of being right there despite having the cruise ship there too. Just another adventure.

I've made notes of the restaurants that you mentioned and I'll check the cruiseforth website on the taxi services and make those reservations accordingly.

Thanks again for all your help!

Melissa

Glad I was able to help and just hope you have an amazing time. Just bear in mind Edinburgh will be incredibly busy so come back at a different time of year and see it very differently

Edited by tartanexile81

Glad I was able to help and just hope you have an amazing time. Just bear in mind Edinburgh will be incredibly busy so come back at a different time of year and see it very differently

Tartanexile81 - you do a great job with all the hints and tips for Edinburgh. Im impressed.:D

I would fully echo what you said about Edinburgh during August. I live in Dundee so visit Edinburgh about 4 times during August and it is so busy but good. Just need to be well planned.

However I will visit Edinburgh about once a month during the rest of the year for nightouts or meals and it does feel different but still a great city.

Steven :)

Thanks Steve. We only go into the city centre in August for something we've pre-booked. I just think that at other times of year Edinburgh is so stunning because you can actually see everything without crowds of people blocking your view ....and you can even walk down the Royal Mile. The city is so beautiful right now with the Autumn colours in Princes Street Gardens etc. Just love it. Lived away for a while but had to come home.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm going to have one day to spend in London. I'm wondering if there an affordable, decent hotel with a free shuttle to the Heathrow airport? But, I would also like to still be in London near some of the sights for the one day to see London. I'm not sure if both is possible based on location of the airport?

No such thing as far as I know. Most people take a taxi or catch a train. Even the hotels near the airport don't have shuttles.

Is that one day and two nights? Give us more information about what you are looking for, dates and times; pre or post cruise, and we may be able to advise you better.

Edited by Bob++

I will be in the London area for 1 full day to basically do anything that I want. I haven't booked a hotel yet, but I come back from a cruise in Southampton and plan on getting transportation somewhere near Heathrow. I get back in port very early Friday morning and my flight is on Saturday in the afternoon from Heathrow. I know it's not a ton of time but I'd like to see what I can.

I'm considering getting a hotel near Heathrow and seeing something like Wndsor Castle. I'd have to do some more research but it looks like hotels very close to the airport offer free shuttle services (but then Heathrow looks like 40 minutes away from the main sites in London?). I'm thinking this is probably a more affordable route and I'd still get to see something.

However, I would love to see some of the main sites in London, but I'm not sure how to get around in such a limited amount of time and if staying near Heathrow still makes sense

No hotel is allowed to run their own shuttle, free or not, to Heathrow.

Those airport area hotels that claim they have a shuttle almost always mean they are on one of the scheduled Heathrow Hoppa bus routes, which call at several hotels and go to various terminals at LHR. There is a charge (around £4-50 from memory) for this service. Several regulars on this board hate it!

You'll have broadly an afternoon & evening, and next morning.

With a hotel at Heathrow, you'll cut deeply into that first day and it won't be worth going into central London next morning. On the other hand, if it's an early pm flight you won't have time for anything in central London that morning anyway.

If you're keen on visiting central London and you have a late pm flight, bite the bullet on price and book a hotel in central London.

A hotel in Victoria (for National Express buses from Southampton), then next day the tube (about £6 pp, if you feel confident you can handle your luggage) or private transfer (about £40 the car) to Heathrow.

Or a Paddington hotel by private transfer from Southampton (about £130 the car) then Heathrow Express to Heathrow (Heathrow Express is only about £5 pp if you book months ahead, but over £20 pp walk-up fare).

There are numerous other alternatives - some bite into your time, some bite into your pocket.

If you want to skip central London & stick to Windsor & its castle, it's under 30 minutes from Heathrow.

A lot of "Heathrow" hotels are actually closer to Windsor than to Heathrow, so most time-efficient would be to choose one which is on the Windsor side of Heathrow and on the hotel-hoppa route or local bus route, use a private transfer from Southampton to hotel, drop your bags, & continue in that car to Windsor. With someone like http://www.smithsforairports.com the car will cost around £90 plus the hotel-to-Windsor hop. Then a local taxi back to your hotel.

Or private transfer to a budget hotel near Slough train station. Short & cheap train ride from Slough to Windsor & back, private transfer next day to Heathrow.

Go onto http://www.booking.com , enter "Heathrow", click onto any hotel listed then click onto "show on map". The map will show all hotels in the area - and more if you zoom out.

Again there are further options, eg National Express bus from Southampton to Heathrow, but they'd cut deeply into your time.

A hotel in Windsor itself would give you the opportunity to continue exploring next morning if flight time allowed, but hotels in the town are expensive.

Public transport between Heathrow & Windsor is slow & convoluted, and wouldn't suit your timetable.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

https://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/hotel_hoppa_bus.htm

(that page about Heathrow hoppa & local buses, but stacks of useful info about logistics, hotels, sights, etc on other pages)

All quite complicated due to the number of options - brew a strong pot of coffee & settle down in front of your computer for an hour or two until it hangs together ;)

Then come back with any thoughts

JB :)

I'd have to do some more research but it looks like hotels very close to the airport offer free shuttle services (but then Heathrow looks like 40 minutes away from the main sites in London?).
Read the descriptions carefully.

You will see many airport hotels saying that there is a shuttle to the airport. You will not see any saying that there is a free shuttle, and you will not see any saying that they have their own shuttle. Either of those statements would be a lie, because conventional hotel shuttles are prohibited at Heathrow.

The transfer bus which some hotels describe as a shuttle is (as Cotswold Eagle says) the Hoppa, which is sometimes considered the world's most hated hotel transfer service. If you ignore that it's expensive, poor value, infrequent, inconvenient, slow and unreliable, it's perfect. And I think it's now £5 per person per trip.

In addition, don't make the mistake of thinking that Heathrow is in London. In very broad terms, it's an hour away from London. So you have to choose between staying in London, staying at Heathrow, or staying in Windsor. If you want to see some sights in London, go straight from Southampton to London (best by train to Waterloo) and stay there, and take yourself off to Heathrow at the appropriate time the following afternoon by any one of the myriad different ways of getting there.

Read the descriptions carefully.

The transfer bus which some hotels describe as a shuttle is (as Cotswold Eagle says) the Hoppa, which is sometimes considered the world's most hated hotel transfer service. If you ignore that it's expensive, poor value, infrequent, inconvenient, slow and unreliable, it's perfect. And I think it's now £5 per person per trip.

The truest words ever spoken.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

go straight from Southampton to London (best by train to Waterloo) and stay there

The disadvantage with the train, G., is that direct trains from Southampton to London Waterloo before 09.55am cost over £40 pp. And can be packed with commuters, though boarding at Southampton means you'd get seats.

That 09.55am train (£14 pp advance purchase, the ticket also good for later trains) arrives London Waterloo 11.30am.

The 08.40am National Express bus (easily manageable with self-disembarkation) arrives London Victoria 11.10am & costs only £5 pp, though it doesn't take a mathematician to work out that the journey time is almost an hour longer. Nat Express bus should be pre-booked, it can sell-out.

Heathrow is also easier from Victoria than from Waterloo, by tube or by Nat Express bus.

That said, I have to admit that my personal preference would also be the train. And a Waterloo hotel location rather than a Victoria one, because there are so many more walkable sights. (ho-ho stops and tube stations at both).

But each to their own personal preferences ;)

I actually was considering the London toolkit tour option (it's also through viator) that goes through Windsor and Stonehenge and doing that because they pick up from the Southampton port and will bring you to a hotel near the airport at the end. It seems like nice, easy solution. A little on the pricey side. I just don't know if it's crazy to see those places instead of the main London city attractions. With the given time constraints, I feel like that tour would probably go smoother. Thoughts? I can only imagine London main tourist attractions are packed and probably easy to get lost

Edited by spr5988

I actually was considering the London toolkit tour option (it's also through viator) that goes through Windsor and Stonehenge and doing that because they pick up from the Southampton port and will bring you to a hotel near the airport at the end. It seems like nice, easy solution. A little on the pricey side. I just don't know if it's crazy to see those places instead of the main London city attractions. With the given time constraints, I feel like that tour would probably go smoother. Thoughts? I can only imagine London main tourist attractions are packed and probably easy to get lost

it does sound a less stressful way and you would not be able to do more than scratch the surface of what London has to offer-an excuse to return and add London for a few days pre or post cruise?

Viator are a 3rd party booking agency so if you can do a bit of investigation you may be able to find the actual tour company which can often be cheaper than viator prices

trip advisor is worth checking out for this

I would personally head straight for London. Now, granted, my POV is coloured by having travelled to London a dozen times (including 4 weeks this past summer), but trust me when I say getting around is easy. There's of course no way you'll be able to see everything to see, but you've got a full day to play with. My game plan would be:

-Train to Waterloo - the comfort and speed over the bus would be worth the extra cost to me;

-Transport to hotel near Paddington - even if you can't check in right away they will probably hold your luggage for you;

-Spend the rest of the day sightseeing;

-Depending on what time your flight is the next day, some sightseeing/shopping in the morning;

-Back to pick up luggage at hotel and off to Paddington to catch the Heathrow Express - if you do this, be sure to purchase tickets in advance online, they're considerably cheaper.

You could take one of the many HOHO buses that travel around London, but if you have a bus map, it's easy to just hop on and off the regular city buses. As for payment, if you have a contactless credit card you can use that for payment, otherwise I'd pick up an Oyster card at Waterloo.

It's run by International Friends. a long-established & respected tourbus operator which added cruise transfer-tours about 6 years ago.

https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/southampton-cruise-tour-transfer-to-london.html

Such reviews as I've seen on Cruise Critic have been favourable - the only significant gripe that I recall is that it was all a bit rushed in the time-scale, but I think that was back when it included Bath along with Stonehenge and Windsor so yes, that was probably too much for the time-scale.

Worth considering if Windsor is your aim, though the real value is for those spending a few post-cruise days in central London. Bear in mind it'll reach Heathrow about 5pm, so you'll have a wasted evening in airport-land and the same next morning if you have a late flight.

BTW, fabnforty, I don't know Viator's price but it's actually cheaper on the London Toolkit site than International Friends' own site.

And bear in mind the price on both sites is exclusive of admissions, they're optional add-ons - do include at least the Stonehenge entry with your booking due to timed tickets.

Not recommending the tour-transfer, nor advising against it.

It's one of a number of options.

Same as a central London hotel in Waterloo or Victoria or Paddington all have their pros & cons.

Your time-scale is woefully short to see London.

If a future visit is on the cards, mebbe consider Windsor this time round.

But if it's perhaps your only opportunity to see London, then go for it.

I'm looking to attend the Military Tattoo in August 2017 and considering something slightly different. How close is the Best Western to the castle? Is the castle within walking distance from the hotel? Couldn't quite see it on the map.

If getting VIP seats, do you bypass the que? If eating on the mile and making recommended reservations what would be the latest time to eat be (thinking of the service and capacity of the restaurant)?

I was supposed to see the Tattoo this year through Insight tours, but they made a booking mistake and we didn't get to see the show. I'm making my own reservations and will be using suggestions already posted but didn't see how late in the day would be too late for eating and the tattoo.

I'm looking to attend the Military Tattoo in August 2017. Is there private transportation ad do they have the ability to get us through the que or through other entrances without standing in the que?

Why should you be able to jump the queue?

Why should you be able to jump the queue?

First, that is a hilarious answer and I love it.

Second, the queue isn't that bad. If you really don't want to deal with it, plan dinner at a restaurant (get reservations NOW) in the last block or so before the entrance to the Esplanade. We had dinner at the Witchery. When you come out of dinner you will already be inside the area where people are told to line up and can go right in.

For some recommendations on where to sit and details about the performance, see my complete review of the Tattoo and our British Isles cruise by CLICKING HERE. It should help in your planning. If you scroll down the page you will find the section on Edinburgh and the Military Tattoo.

Jim

PS: Private transportation can be hard to come by (catching a taxi) and finding a car service to pick you up afterwards is also difficult. Start looking now. And get your Tattoo tickets early. They go on sale to the general public on Thursday of this week. Best seats go fast. Section 8 or 9 if you can afford them. And sit about half way up. Sitting in the first row may sound cool but you will miss a bunch because of the scope of the show.

Edited by DrKoob

I'm looking to attend the Military Tattoo in August 2017 and considering something slightly different. How close is the Best Western to the castle? Is the castle within walking distance from the hotel? Couldn't quite see it on the map.

If getting VIP seats, do you bypass the que? If eating on the mile and making recommended reservations what would be the latest time to eat be (thinking of the service and capacity of the restaurant)?

I was supposed to see the Tattoo this year through Insight tours, but they made a booking mistake and we didn't get to see the show. I'm making my own reservations and will be using suggestions already posted but didn't see how late in the day would be too late for eating and the tattoo.

I pretty much answered you over on the other thread you started but as to timing, make dinner reservations for around 6:00 and make them inside the two blocks of the show and you will be able to walk out of dinner 30 minutes before the show, be at the front of the line and walk right in.

Hello,

I'm going to have one day to spend in London. I'm wondering if there an affordable, decent hotel with a free shuttle to the Heathrow airport? But, I would also like to still be in London near some of the sights for the one day to see London. I'm not sure if both is possible based on location of the airport?

Hi Spr,

I can understand your wanting to see a bit of London with about a day and night to spare. Also, it's not uncommon in other cities - except big ones like London, NYC, Paris - to find some hotels that offer free transfers. I find them often, had a lovely B&B near Gatwick that had a free shuttle. It does happen, just not at Heathrow so if you've never been there, not an unreasonable question to ask.

As to wanting to see Windsor Castle - imagine you could do this tour if you stayed in a hotel near Heathrow and then pop into London for the evening and what about having dinner in a pub (or whatever you fancy) and then getting on a Hop On/Hop Off bus either for the entire ride to just have a nice look at the major sites, and/or get off and one or two if you wish to linger a bit. The bonus with these buses is of course, the hopping on/off of course! :D It brings you back to where you started. Soooo....

.....lets say you did come into London via Paddington Station on the train. I took my HoHo near Paddington Station and the walk is about 2 blocks or so. Easy for you to catch the Heathrow express back out to and then get to your hotel. Of course you'll be back at the airport again but you can easily get to your hotel there or, you can stay at a hotel in the city too. There are hotels that are affordable for one night - depends upon what you require in amenities, location etc. Are you coming into London from Southampton on the train...your post doesn't say or was it in your post title and I'm forgetting, if so, apologies - long day.

Another transport option to central London is the National Express - the coach line that runs from Heathrow to Victoria Station. Last I took it was close to £8 (one way) and around an hour ride but they load luggage on/off (beneath coach) and it's quite comfortable. Just didn't feel like going on the tube in the morning on that visit with my luggage - I was alone. I was able to board ride outside T5.

I don't know that I'd worry so much about individual attractions in London - though as I said, you may want to linger a bit in a particular area depending on the time of day or evening you are actually in the city...just to soak up the feeling and atmosphere of being there, take some photos but you get time for that on the HoHo bus when it is stopped etc. Or, take a ride on the London Eye for a great aerial view of the city - they have combo tickets that include a ride on the Thames (I almost wrote Seine - wrong river, wrong city!) which might also be a nice way to take in the city. Something to think about. Options ;)

As for trying to do Stonehenge and Windsor - well that could be too much PLUS trying to get into London proper. There's the saying "if you see everything, you see nothing" and it can be quite true. Perhaps plan to get a London overview and maybe just a tour of the castle, then plan a future London/UK visit with more time and days to explore!

If you have further questions, let us know.