Weight Gain and the "Alcohol Beverage Package"?

oldmom

Thinking of getting the Alcohol Beverage plan-but worried about the possible weight gain that might go with it. Has anyone had a weight gain or a higher weight gain with an unlimited alcohol package?:eek: Thanks

Depending on your fitness level and weight you'll burn around 300 calories running 3 miles. Three glasses of wine would comfortably exceed that 300 calories. I'd suggest you accept there's going to be some weight gain on holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Avoid the desserts, you do not have them every night at home, so do not start on a cruise.

Saves room for the booze.

Wine is tamer, and a good simple mix can go along way, and they did free pour on our sailing.

Besides, there really not that great anyway (at least thats what I tell myself) The desserts that is, not the booze.

And yes, yes, yes as above was posted.

Walk the stairs.

We were on deck 17 on Allure and only did the elevators on formal night.

Now, mind you the first couple days walking the stairs I was winded, but after about day three it was OK.

Enjoy we do.

Thinking of getting the Alcohol Beverage plan-but worried about the possible weight gain that might go with it. Has anyone had a weight gain or a higher weight gain with an unlimited alcohol package?:eek: Thanks

I eat and drink a lot more than normal when cruising. However, I'm also not sitting behind a computer for 10 hours a day. I usually do a ton of walking on a vacation and actually loose weight. I hear of people gaining weight on cruises, but that has not been my experience. I would say that weight gain or loss will not be correlated to the drinking package. It will be based on your overall all intake vs activity. Take the stairs more and walk a few laps up top each day. You can have all the fun you want and not worry so much about weight gain.

Are you kidding?? those 2 go hand in hand.

Weight gain usually happens on a cruise. You can a) spend the entire cruise counting calories and risk having a miserable time, or b) spend the entire cruise in the gym and risk having a miserable time (unless that's your thing-it isn't mine) or c) splurge for the week and lose the weight later (or not).

I choose c - I prefer to relax and splurge while on vacation and diet/exercise when I get back (since I'm cold and miserable anyway :( )

Edited by VASOXFANN

I have a bad knee-had surgery on it 3 years ago. When I went on the Oasis in May- I decided to "do the stairs" so I would not gain as much weight. TMI- by the last 2 days- I had trouble sitting down low on the toilet and getting up after. I suffered at home for almost a month-thinking it would get better-till I went to the Dr. to get it injected. So-stair climbing is going to be limited this trip. I do think I will do some laps since the weather should be a little cooler in Dec. on this cruise. I gained 5 pounds in May and I did limit my eating and drinking -from my usual cruise gorging-but I got back on my diet-and lost it in a week. I love foo-foo drinks- but drink vodka and crystal light at home. Still undecided on the package-my husband is getting it-he only drinks diet coke and rum. Don't know if I will wish I had gotten it ,also, when I am with him?:confused:

Thanks- I am thinking I may just bring wine. We have an all inclusive day at a beach club-so I can drink all I want that day! If I really want a foo-foo drink, I can buy 1-2, and a few light beers during the cruise. I plan to have fun-but would be upset if I gained 10 pounds! Plus, I have Christmas, 2 weeks after I get back-so I might put some on then . Hate to go into January with a hugh weight gain. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.:D

Depending on your fitness level and weight you'll burn around 300 calories running 3 miles.
PLUS the exercise would raise the runner's metabolism, meaning he or she would continue to burn more calories all day long.

Weight gain usually happens on a cruise. You can a) spend the entire cruise counting calories and risk having a miserable time, or b) spend the entire cruise in the gym and risk having a miserable time (unless that's your thing-it isn't mine) or c) splurge for the week and lose the weight later (or not).

I choose c - I prefer to relax and splurge while on vacation and diet/exercise when I get back (since I'm cold and miserable anyway :( )

False. Eating and drinking in moderation doesn't necessarily equate to misery. It's quite possible to enjoy your food and drink and still wear your bikini on the last day of the cruise. It's also quite possible to spend an hour in the gym (not "your entire cruise", not a miserable time) every other day so you can afford to splurge -- without being sorry once you're back home.

Edited by MrsPete

Buy the package of it fits how you would, or want to, drink on the cruise. And accept that if you gain some water or food-bulk weight on the cruise, and/or some fat-weight after the cruise if you don't get straight into your normal food/drink life (fat isn't created in under a week, so a scale rise on a normal cruise shouldn't last once you're back to your routine) that it's because of the way you were going to drink anyway. Not the fault of the package, but of choices and biology. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always buy the package on a cruise. I rarely have a drink while at home but always drink on vacation. I usually LOSE weight on a cruise even though I drink my frozen drinks and cocktails all day long, but also make sure to still drink a lot of water. At home, I probably drink minimum a gallon of water a day if not more so want to get as much as possible.

I am way more active on a cruise as well, I sit all day long at work. I also work out like I do at home, take the stairs, walk on the beaches, etc, plus I really do not eat any differently on a cruise than I do at home. I am a pretty picky eater plus I have Celiac so many of the desserts and breads are a no-no for me. So, I don't eat a lot of sauces and that type of thing which helps. We have never eaten in the specialty restaurants, the MDR is good enough for us. We are not foodies, if we do not have to cook or do dishes, we are good to go. We do not eat out at home (maybe twice a year, literally) so it's a treat not to have to cook.

I have a couple cruises coming up and will be even more careful. I recently lost 85 lbs and have about 20-25 lbs to go to get to my goal weight so definitely do not want to gain anything back. I have worked way too hard to get it off. So it for sure can be done. Enjoy!!!

False. Eating and drinking in moderation doesn't necessarily equate to misery. It's quite possible to enjoy your food and drink and still wear your bikini on the last day of the cruise.. It's also quite possible to spend an hour in the gym (not "your entire cruise", not a miserable time) every other day so you can afford to splurge -- without being sorry once you're back home.

Yikes! I'm going to spare the rest of the cruising population from that vision :eek: I've been in one pieces for the past 15 years for the sake of humanity. :o

When I'm cruising, I'm going to enjoy myself. If I want extra lobster, 2 desserts or 3 frozen fruity drinks, it's going to happen. Life is too short to not enjoy it, especially on a vacation I've saved for and looked forward to for months.

I don't enjoy going to gyms, and I'm not doing it on a cruise. I'm not a blob-we take the stairs when possible, walk around the ports and swim at the beaches. That's our exercise on vacation ;)

ETA: I think the most I've ever gained on a cruise was 3lbs, which came right back off once I was back to my regular routine. This will be our first cruise with the drinks package, though, so we'll see..

Edited by VASOXFANN

Depending on your fitness level and weight you'll burn around 300 calories running 3 miles. Three glasses of wine would comfortably exceed that 300 calories. I'd suggest you accept there's going to be some weight gain on holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agreed. And also, if you regularly run 3 miles at home, then this isn't going to help since you're doing the same activity as you do at home while taking in more calories.

The good thing though is that if you regularly exercise and continue to do it on the cruise, then you can just "up" it a bit for the week after you get back and you'll drop all the extra pounds.

I ran about 5 miles a day last cruise and didn't gain much weight, but what I did gain came off within the week when I got home because I kept running my 5 miles and added back the weights workouts that I usually do (but skipped on my vacation week).

If you go home and are sedentary or don't do something a bit extra, good luck getting the weight off, but it'll probably slowly come off as you go back to your regular eating habits.

I think it also depends on how much you eat and drink at home. Some people eat that much at home on a regular basis, so they don't gain cruise weight because the calorie intake is the same (or because they don't eat a ton on vacation and eat about the same as they do at home). Sometimes it evens out, especially if you're more active on vacation than at home instead of vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl