Knitting and crocheting on a cruise

gepgelmik

I just this "Dear Abby" on my Yahoo start page and immediately thought of this thread:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/lifestyles/dear-abby-nervy-co-worker-pushes-hard-for-gifts/

and the above post (This woman came barging over and demanded to know why I wasn't coming out to the "knitters and natters" thing every morning.) wow, what nerve. I can see someone seeing a knitter and tell her about the meetings just in case that person hadn't seen the item in the ship's newsletter, but to attack her for not going to those meetings? that's a lot of nerve. Many knitters and crocheters aren't doing their hobby to be social, but many do so to occupy their hands, make items for friends and family, calm their nerves...whatever the reason, isn't anyone's business but their own. And it's not one of those things you NEED to do as part of a group.

Wow, also cannot believe the nerve of people asking for things to be made for them. When I'm sewing, I'm asked from time to time if I sell my work (which is fine - because I do), but a stranger asking to be given something would get a less than polite response.

I quite like knitting as a group activity - but with people I know...I'm part of a group that meets every week over a cuppa with our sewing/knitting, which is great if you're having trouble with a project, or looking for new ideas. Turning up and knitting with a group of strangers doesn't hold a great deal of appeal for me.

Hello all. I learned to crochet last year. I crochet different snowflakes and ask for a donation near Christmas time, when i set up a table at a Christmas fair in my local village. The money i receive from these snowflakes i give to a charity that helps those in our village who are less fortunate than myself.

I do take my crochet on a cruise and on sea days i sit and spend some time on this project. Some people are very surprised and i do hear some negative comments passed,but others are genuinely interested and when they learn what i am doing a few have asked if they can take a snowflake and leave a donation.

A lot of the negative comments i believe are because they are looking at a Man sitting and crocheting,but i enjoy it and it's for a worthy cause.

We were on a cruise a couple of years ago and a young man was constantly knitting something. Every time we saw him about the ship he has his knitting with him. I did see a couple of women approach him at one of the cooking demonstrations, but most time most people seemed to leave him alone.

I am a male and use to a be a regular knitter. Created a lot of my own patterns and designs, but haven't touched it now in about 20 years. Might be time to pick up the needles again. :)

We met in AM in sky lounge all sea days on WC. Allowed one new needlepoint kit per session conducted by social hostess. Had coordinating glass cases, scissor cases, cosmetic cases using floss instead of wool. We started doing them at the various lectures. Comedians then did skits of us.Great fun I have 19 kits to finish.

I might approach a person (if they looked approachable) and ask about their project, but I would NEVER ask them to make something for me. Good grief, some people are rude! But if the person was someone like bazbov making something for charity, I might ask if I could buy one for the cause.

We were on a cruise a couple of years ago and a young man was constantly knitting something. Every time we saw him about the ship he has his knitting with him. I did see a couple of women approach him at one of the cooking demonstrations, but most time most people seemed to leave him alone.

I am a male and use to a be a regular knitter. Created a lot of my own patterns and designs, but haven't touched it now in about 20 years. Might be time to pick up the needles again. :)

I don't find it at all strange to see a man knitting...possibly because at both my primary and high schools, boys and girls alike were taught to knit, sew, cook, and also taught woodwork, metalwork, etc. I guess "societal norms" have it more as a female activity than male - but some of the most talented knitters & crocheters I've seen have been men.

When my mother was living in a senior community, there was a needlework group, and it was chaired by a man - who did exquisite cross stitch. I have no idea what he did before he retired, but his son was in my high school class. EM

As you can tell from my user name, I'm a quilter. But, that's not so easy to take on a cruise! I also knit and cross stitch and usually take one or the other or both on a cruise with me. I've never had a total stranger ask me to make something for them, but I have experience people who are acquaintances hint or even outright ask me to make a quilt for them. I usually just laugh it off or make a joke.

Every once in a while when I'm doing some handwork on a cruise someone will ask me about it, but it's usually either another crafter or someone who is genuinely curious about what I'm doing.

I don't think most people are being rude when they ask you to make something for them; I think they actually don't realize the kind of work and monetary investment that goes into homemade items. For example, the supplies for most of my quilts can be hundreds of dollars and the time commitment will be well over 100 hours. I think if those who casually ask me to make something for them realized this, they wouldn't ask. None of my closest friends have ever asked me to make them a quilt--probably because they know the kind of time I spend on them. I've made quilts for a few of my dearest friends so they know how much they're loved! But, most of my quilting or knitting or sewing or cross stitch is for family or charity. It feeds my soul. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Years ago when reporting to jury duty I was disappointed to arrive at the courthouse and discover that knitting needles were a no-no. Had to return the knitting to my car. the next time I reported I did switch to circular needles which were okay (and I don't mind using).

I had jury service recently and thankfully my crochet hook was allowed - not in the courtroom but in the deliberation room was fine. I must say, having a project to work on and look down at during moments of heated discussion was very handy for me to keep my calm!

I'm planning on taking the same project on my December cruise - African flower hexagon motifs.i can do the flowers and then the last round/joining back at home..its cotton so not too hot to work with (I'm in Southern Hemisphere), quite easy to pack and doesn't take up too much space. I take an empty dental floss container as my blade for cutting yarn. The balls are small so I can take multiple balls of the same colour, but only one of each at a time in my project bag up onto deck. I've also placed each one in a ziplock bag to prevent a yarn tangle - it worked well in my bag during jury service and a recent car journey.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Maybe you know the story of Jacques Plante, an ice hockey goalie for the Montreal Canadiens many years ago. As many goalies are, Plante was a player apart - it's not an easy job having hard rubber disks shot at you at high speed for 60 minutes a game. These guys are often in their own world.

Plante was a knitter. His French Canadian family, with many children, were not well-off when he was a child. As one of the oldest kids, his mother made him learn to knit and turn out socks, mitts and hats for his little brothers and sisters. It was an activity he continued as an adult, and as a professional goalie in the NHL. I like to imagine Jacques pulling his knitting out on a bus or plane trip to the next hockey game, while all the other manly men asked themselves, "What the heck?"

As those of us who enjoy this work know, there is a certain peace that comes with the activity. Not hard to know why this guy found comfort away from his job of being constantly fired at. Just a little true Canadian folklore for you here tonight!

There is very little clickity clack in knitting....I think that is an urban myth. Real knitters don't use aluminum knitting needles any more. We learned that early, knitting in class in school, and the clang of the needles when you drop one. Plastic and bamboo are the rule today. You would be surprised how quiet knitting is. EM

There is very little clickity clack in knitting....I think that is an urban myth. Real knitters don't use aluminum knitting needles any more. We learned that early, knitting in class in school, and the clang of the needles when you drop one. Plastic and bamboo are the rule today. You would be surprised how quiet knitting is. EM

Real knitters? :D I never use plastic or bamboo myself - don't like the feel of either, and find s/s are far more durable (also far easier for a lot of the knitting I do - mostly very fine, lace weight scarves, shawls and the like) - but I do agree, not much noise. You'd probably hear a faint click if you were sitting right beside me, but not otherwise.

Real knitters? :D I never use plastic or bamboo myself - don't like the feel of either, and find s/s are far more durable (also far easier for a lot of the knitting I do - mostly very fine, lace weight scarves, shawls and the like) - but I do agree, not much noise. You'd probably hear a faint click if you were sitting right beside me, but not otherwise.

But, you're not a real knitter. :p:D;)

Knitting is noisy? Bring that comment back here after you hang around card shufflers, mahjong clackers, Scrabble tile droppers, dice throwers and charade players.

That's one I never thought I'd hear. The tyranny of the noise of knitters. LOL.

Knitting is noisy? Bring that comment back here after you hang around card shufflers, mahjong clackers, Scrabble tile droppers, dice throwers and charade players.

That's one I never thought I'd hear. The tyranny of the noise of knitters. LOL.

I know! I was a day-long meeting a couple years ago and brought my knitting (my manager didn't have a problem with it). One of the guys in the video conference complained that it was distracting. Our manager basically told him to stop being ass--if he didn't want to see me knitting then look elsewhere since I wasn't making any noise! LOL.

You mean I've spent the last 25-odd years pretending to knit :eek::D I'll still stick to my s/s needles...makes my knitting unreal ;)

Apparently. ;) Seriously though, I use bamboo but I don't consider myself a serious knitter. It's something I do occasionally when the bug strikes. Not surprisingly, I prefer quilting. But, I can't take my quilting on a cruise!

I take my knitting everywhere. When I travel I usually take Hiya Hiya bamboo circular needles. I don't take my interchangables just in case something happens at security. Instead of scissors I bring a floss container. I take projects I can work on, look around and chat with people not my complicated lace shawls.

I also take my drop spindles and some fiber to spin

I love it when people ask about my knitting or spinning. It gives me a chance to either talk with other knitters or inform non-knitters that:

1. Yes I can bring my needles on a plane

2. Knitting is just not for little old ladies

3. You can not afford to buy anything I knit, spin or weave

4. (For spindle questions) I am making yarn that I can then knit or weave with

I take my knitting everywhere. When I travel I usually take Hiya Hiya bamboo circular needles. I don't take my interchangables just in case something happens at security. Instead of scissors I bring a floss container. I take projects I can work on, look around and chat with people not my complicated lace shawls.

I also take my drop spindles and some fiber to spin

I love it when people ask about my knitting or spinning. It gives me a chance to either talk with other knitters or inform non-knitters that:

1. Yes I can bring my needles on a plane

2. Knitting is just not for little old ladies

3. You can not afford to buy anything I knit, spin or weave

4. (For spindle questions) I am making yarn that I can then knit or weave with

#3 sounds like me with my quilting. "How much would it cost to have you make me a quilt?" Answer: "More than you car. " LOL.