Working refrigerators in cabins

Murphyj2

My wife is an insulin dependent diabetic. Can anyone tell me if the refrigerators in Celebrity Summit cabins actually stay cold? Our experience on Royal Caribbean was that the refrigerators did not cool at all and were more of a room temperature snack closet. If not will celebrity provide an in cabin working refrigerator? Thanks for your help!!'

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe that the units are really just thermoelectric coolers, ie there is not a compressor so they don't get 'cold' like a real fridge does. How cool they get is going to be determined by the surrounding air temp, so they will cool better if your cruise is in cooler climates. As mentioned, you definitely need to keep the door of the cabinet open to help out. I've never measured but I'm guessing, on average they might be between 45-50 degrees F at best.

I believe that the units are really just thermoelectric coolers, ie there is not a compressor so they don't get 'cold' like a real fridge does. How cool they get is going to be determined by the surrounding air temp, so they will cool better if your cruise is in cooler climates. As mentioned, you definitely need to keep the door of the cabinet open to help out. I've never measured but I'm guessing, on average they might be between 45-50 degrees F at best.

The temperature in the cabin will be the same regardless of the temperature outdoors. Unless the unit is defective it is cold enough for insulin storage.

They're fine for insulin. I did, however, have a problem with them locking the refrigerator the last night of the cruise. They do so in order to close out bills but my insulin was still inside and I had to get them to unlock it. Just telling you to be aware of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the 2 cruises I went on, the mini bar kept my insulin cool. But insulin is fine at room temperature for a time. Many will last longer if kept refrigerated. 6 months if kept cool, 1 month at room temperature. Some bottles will not last 28 days so why not just keep it with me. With the ever rising cost for Humalog, from 100 to over 300 dollars a bottle, diabetics on a budget will be forced to carry portable battery powered coolers everywhere.

My wife is an insulin dependent diabetic. Can anyone tell me if the refrigerators in Celebrity Summit cabins actually stay cold? Our experience on Royal Caribbean was that the refrigerators did not cool at all and were more of a room temperature snack closet. If not will celebrity provide an in cabin working refrigerator? Thanks for your help!!'

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The "thing" in the cabin isn't very cold, contact the Special Needs department.

Since we usually travel for more that 28 days on board we have found that the refrigerator does not keep the spare insulin at the recommended temp 36-46. If the insulin is open it doesn't need to be refrigerated and it is good for 28 days but the unopened spare has to be kept cooler than the refrigerator in the cabin. I know because I travel with a thermometer. The medical center WILL NOT keep the spare insulin. I travel with a cooler I always ask the room attendant for ice a couple of times a day and keep the insulin in the cooler with the ice in a zipp lock bag. This keeps the insulin cool enough without freezing. Now before the masses get on my case let me remind you that we travel longer than the 28 day the insulin can stay out of the refrigerator. That is why we have learned how to keep the unopened spare insulin safe. We have traveled all over the world. Diabetes is not going to stop us from traveling.