Breakaway Hurricane News 10/9

carol54

That's been mentioned numerous times. Most, not all of course, would probably be pretty happy if we had the New England/Canadian route. At least it's comparable pricewise.

I think you would have more complaints because people wouldn't have enough warm clothes. Plus, who knows if that was even an option, there is a finite number of docks.

I think you would have more complaints because people wouldn't have enough warm clothes. Plus, who knows if that was even an option, there is a finite number of docks.

Yup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I also like all the comments about booking because of the cheap prices. We spent over $3k for a mini-suite. That's the most we've ever spent on a cruise. I wish this was some deeply discounted cruise for us but it wasnt.

I just checked prices for one of the first sailings the BA is going back to the Bahamas - $2600+ for a minisuite. There really isn't a huge price difference between Bermuda and Bahamas when sailing out of NYC, especially this time of year.

I just checked prices for one of the first sailings the BA is going back to the Bahamas - $2600+ for a minisuite. There really isn't a huge price difference between Bermuda and Bahamas when sailing out of NYC, especially this time of year.

And yet I didn't book a cruise from NYC to the Bahamas, I booked to go Bermuda. I can leave from almost any city and go to the Bahamas which is why those cruises are dime-a-dozen and cheap. On Sunday night I could have booked a seven night Mini-suite to Nassau with two other stops for $1500 total leaving this Saturday.

I don't live I near NYC so I have to travel a decent distance to cruise anywhere. I could cruise from anywhere in Florida, Mobile, or New Orleans to go to Bahamas. To cruise to Bermuda my options are much more limited. The only cruises I would take from NYC are to Bermuda or Canada. I'm sure people from the NYC area may think of cruising further south for convenience but that's not why I chose NYC.

Edited by optimusprime82

The comment about the price is only valid if you live close to NY. For instance the cruise to the Bahamas at the end of the month is $689 pp for an inside, while essentially the same cruise on the Escape was $399. For those that have to figure in travel to a port, you wouldn't pick NY to do the Bahamas, you would go to Florida and have a lot cheaper cruise. I have a 9 day cruise on Royal doing stops in PC and the Bahamas as well as Miami for $1200, while my 7 day Bermuda cruise is $3500.

My Bermuda cruise in a minisuite next week is $3500. $900 is a bit of a difference. I could do a fair amount with that.

The comment about the price is only valid if you live close to NY. For instance the cruise to the Bahamas at the end of the month is $689 pp for an inside, while essentially the same cruise on the Escape was $399. For those that have to figure in travel to a port, you wouldn't pick NY to do the Bahamas, you would go to Florida and have a lot cheaper cruise. I have a 9 day cruise on Royal doing stops in PC and the Bahamas as well as Miami for $1200, while my 7 day Bermuda cruise is $3500.

But this was a cruise from NYC to the Bahamas, costing NCL the same amount of money as a cruise from NCC, not from Florida. And again, I'm betting most folks in that sailing drive to the port.

And yet I didn't book a cruise from NYC to the Bahamas, I booked to go Bermuda. I can leave from almost any city and go to the Bahamas which is why those cruises are dime-a-dozen and cheap. On Sunday night I could have booked a seven night Mini-suite to Nassau with two other stops for $1500 total leaving this Saturday.

I don't live I near NYC so I have to travel a decent distance to cruise anywhere. I could cruise from anywhere in Florida, Mobile, or New Orleans to go to Bahamas. To cruise to Bermuda my options are much more limited. The only cruises I would take from NYC are to Bermuda or Canada. I'm sure people from the NYC area may think of cruising further south for convenience but that's not why I chose NYC.

You gambled, and you lost. Now, if the ship couldn't go to Bermuda because of a ship issue, then I would expect more. However, weather is weather, no one is responsible, and that's why it's written into the cruise contract.

I was bummed when we skipped GSC (which happens a lot). Stayed on the ship in PC, and had been to Nassau several times already. But when I booked, I knew there was a chance we wouldn't get there.

When we book a cruise we make sure we all realize that we are firstly booking the ship; and secondly the ports. I'm not suggesting that we don't care about making the ports on our itinerary; but we go into it realizing that we may need to be happy with that not happening due to unforeseen circumstances such as weather (Mother Nature can be such a b..tch:-)

But I totally understand that booking a cruise with one destination is something different. It's not like you are losing one port..you are losing your only port!

Last year we cruised in October to Bermuda out of Boston. And the seas were rough. I don't get seasick but all three of my fellow cabin mates did.

We decided that this would be our last foray into the Atlantic during Hurricane season!

And here we are this year...booked to travel in November into the Caribbean during the storm season:-)

I guess what I'm trying to convey is that there are things that are beyond our (and NCL's control) and if we continue to cruise at certain times of the year we will have to accept that.

I wouldn't expect a refund unless we went to Canada:)

Cheers,

Canadian Sandy

I am writing regarding our recent cruise on NCL Breakaway departing October 9, 2016.

We were well aware that there were 2 hurricane systems going on at the time we were to cruise and I had called on 2 different occasions to see if there were any changes and I was told we were going as planned.

After we arrived on the ship then NCL decided to tell us what we knew already, that we were not going to Bermuda.

We didn't mind the port changes so much, but the places we were heading to were greatly affected by a cat 4 hurricane just days before and the times we were going were so short and late that there was nothing to do once we got there particularly the main stop in Bahamas from 3-9. The shops close at 5, it gets dark around 6:30, by time you actually got off the ship you really only had an hour to do a beach if they were even open or shop The Bahamas is really not a place to wonder around at night, so really the entire vacation would be spent on the ship. When I looked at the freestyle daily of things to do the next day that's where I made up my mind to leave.

To my disappointment the interary on board was awful. It was mostly all health related

• Cellulite solution Consultation

• Guitar Melodies with Melvin Harold

• Detox for health & weight loss

• Guess the weight of the sculpture

• Informal gathering of veterans

• Relieving back pain with good feet

• Body sculpt boot camp

• Pain and arthritis solutions

• Puffy eye workshop

• 30,000 years of art history

• Simple facelift

• Latin cardio fitness

Also there was nothing to do the first night but drink because most activities were cancelled from still being in port overnight. NCL played a movie outdoors and people were sitting in the hallway instead because it was just too cold to be outside so 2 days were already a bust and Ii was getting a bad feeling the entire cruise was headed that way.

I realize the weather cannot be predicted, but how NCL planned to make our vacation enjoyable was what had us wanting to be home instead and that is really a big disappointment. i called the insurance co. and they said under those circumstances i will have no problem getting a refund or credit towards another trip

Well we are going on the 14th from Boston and I am not expecting any change as the storm will be long gone so not sure why you are expecting a change.

I guess I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. This storm is looking more ominous. Cat 3 possibly. The Weather Channel said they have never seen a possible direct hit on Bermuda like this. Still, they have a great infrastructure and deal with hurricanes well. My main focus is that Bermuda will be okay and no one will be hurt or left homeless.

Any time on a cruise is a great time. :D

That's been mentioned numerous times. Most, not all of course, would probably be pretty happy if we had the New England/Canadian route. At least it's comparable pricewise.

"Most" would rather go to Canada, where it was in the 50s today, and not somewhere warmer like they thought Bermuda would be? Not sure you can say "most" would be "pretty happy" with Canada, as it seems like the complainers just want money back for having their plans change. I for one (if I had been on that particular sailing) would have paid them EXTRA to not go to Canada. LOL

GMA: As of 11pm EDT, Hurricane Nicole now a dangerous Category 4 storm, with max sustained winds up to 130mph and heading toward Bermuda.

They 125% made the right decision not going. If that was my cruise though I'd probably rather 2 days in Bahamas than Florida port, however I'd make the best of it.

GMA: As of 11pm EDT, Hurricane Nicole now a dangerous Category 4 storm, with max sustained winds up to 130mph and heading toward Bermuda.

They 125% made the right decision not going. If that was my cruise though I'd probably rather 2 days in Bahamas than Florida port, however I'd make the best of it.

Yup, Cat 4 MAJOR hurricane with the eye expected to pass right over or very near land. This is catastrophic.

"Most" would rather go to Canada, where it was in the 50s today, and not somewhere warmer like they thought Bermuda would be? Not sure you can say "most" would be "pretty happy" with Canada, as it seems like the complainers just want money back for having their plans change. I for one (if I had been on that particular sailing) would have paid them EXTRA to not go to Canada. LOL

I would NOT be happy going to New England. I just want sunny and warmth, even if it means staying on the ship the entire time.

I would NOT be happy going to New England. I just want sunny and warmth, even if it means staying on the ship the entire time.

See this is the thing. Say there was no hurricane and that the ship sailed to Bermuda. It still could rain for 3 days. As a matter of fact I went last year and it was so windy we couldn't even be on the beach because the sand was blowing in our faces. The people complaining are incapable of making the best of things. I'm sure they think they are reasonable, but they aren't. Cruise lines gave out varying forms of compensation depending on the disruption to their cruise. The most generous was Disney and I'm fairly certain no one complaining here would want to pay $7,000 for a balcony room. I totally get being disappointed but to expect NCL to refund millions because a hurricane changed the direction of your ship is absurd. DO NOT EVER cruise again. Itinerary changes are commonplace and obviously some cannot adjust.

Edited by Rileyz

I hope that the people in Bermuda stay safe. It is much better to avoid a hurricane then try to ride it out. Not a good time of year to plan a cruise during Hurricane season. Things happen and it is the responsibility of the cruise line to think about safety first. However, NCL should give a 50% credit to all of those who are on this Bermuda Cruise as they didn't announce the change prior to sailing. I believe RC compensated it's passengers more during Matthew.

Sorry upfront if this has been discussed but I'm scrolling quickly as the thread seems to have shifted to a discussion on pricing.

Anyone have thoughts about the Breakaway leaving port on this coming Sunday Oct 16?

Obviously, I hope the best for the people in Bermuda and their property, but I also hope that it isn't damaged to the extent that we also get diverted because of recovery efforts. Terribly selfish, I know, but really hoping to enjoy this visit to Bermuda. Can't go in May-June as this is our 30 yr Anniversary.

"Most" would rather go to Canada ... I for one (if I had been on that particular sailing) would have paid them EXTRA to not go to Canada. LOL

Halifax, NS could've possibly come up with a berth on Wednesday for the BA (Gem was scheduled to be there) to dock but not on Thursday as it's already fully booked, lots of cruise ships already originally scheduled to be there. BA would likely need to use the cargo terminal as I don't think they can realistically tender 4,000 pax ashore ... the waterfront would be packed with tons of tourists, not to mention other logistical issues like arranging for shorex and tours, or shuttles/ground transportation, etc.

NCL - on the matter of - offering to refund, even a partial one or equivalent in OBC, is strictly a matter of discretion and goodwill on the part of NCL - regardless of what other mass lines were doing or not doing. Hindsight is 20/20 ... Under NCL's current senior leadership, remember that quote - "passengers are captive audience" and recent policies such as the prohibition on bringing one's own bottled water & soda come to mind. Taking the anger and directing the frustration against the crew onboard won't change any of that - although, that's a different topic for debate & open discussion. By booking & sailing without purchasing one's own insurance & trip interruption, one is basically self-insured and taking on the known risk.

FYI - there are still cabins - last minute bargain fares for the BA this and next weekend ... one could extend or turn it easily into a B2B, regardless of destination - as to some cruisers, the ship itself is the destination regardless of where it is docked for the day. For now, Bermudians are battling the storm with 125 mph wind, sustained - just glanced at the latest news feed coming from the RG online site, with scattered power outages & a few tornado watches/warnings as landfall is expected in about 90 minutes.

Sorry upfront if this has been discussed but I'm scrolling quickly as the thread seems to have shifted to a discussion on pricing.

Anyone have thoughts about the Breakaway leaving port on this coming Sunday Oct 16?

Obviously, I hope the best for the people in Bermuda and their property, but I also hope that it isn't damaged to the extent that we also get diverted because of recovery efforts. Terribly selfish, I know, but really hoping to enjoy this visit to Bermuda. Can't go in May-June as this is our 30 yr Anniversary.

As you write this, the eye of a cat4 hurricane is 55 miles away and bearing down on them with lots of devastation to follow. I would say it's a safe bet to say that the government of Bermuda is not going to welcome 4000 cruise ship passengers a week later in the midsts of their cleanup and repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As you write this, the eye of a cat4 hurricane is 55 miles away and bearing down on them with lots of devastation to follow. I would say it's a safe bet to say that the government of Bermuda is not going to welcome 4000 cruise ship passengers a week later in the midsts of their cleanup and repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am hoping you're wrong as we go tomorrow from Boston.