Breakaway Hurricane News 10/9

carol54

For those of you who seem to feel that you're entitled & have spent time that you can't get back doing nothing other than whine, I've been watching the Bermuda webcam & as with Gonzalo, all of the boats in the marina have been moved out of the Kings Wharf harbor to safety. A hurricane headed straight for you (Bermuda) is serious stuff, & I almost wish the Captain & RCI hadn't done the RIGHT thing (because your safety is paramount) & taken you as far away from Bermuda as they can reasonably get just so you'd actually get to experience the unbelievable....THAT might get your entitled attention.....but then that wouldn't be fair to those of us who recognize the chance one takes in cruising during hurricane season & while disappointed, making the best of it while PRAISING the Captain & NCL for doing the RIGHT thing! Maybe they should've taken you to Canada instead of someplace warm within the 7 day time restraint?! Anyway, just thought you'd like to see this which came in this evening in another thread from a Bermudian!

To all Breakaway cruisers ... be very glad you ain't coming into Bermuda this week.

To all Dawn cruisers ... be glad you left Bermuda early this morning.

Here ... thick clouds hovering us all day today (Tues) and things look dark. High surf already here. No swimming or snorkeling lessons, but good times for idiotic windsurfers.

We have a hurricane warning. Nicole is visiting us with her Cat 2 winds.

Schools and workplaces close at noon tomorrow (Wed).

Tropical storm winds (high winds) start at 10pm Wed and ends at 9pm Thurs (23 hours we got to stay indoors).

Hurricane force winds 7am to 2pm - power likely to go off (if not before) ... no air conditioning, no running water (pumps run on elec), not flushing toilets, dare not open fridges/freezers as humidity would kick in and foods get spoiled, you're SOL if you have elec stove, no BBQ outdoors due to high winds, no computers, can't recharge devices, blah blah blah.

Nearest will be 11am Thurs. Meaning her eye. The winds around her eye are at their strongest.

But we will survive, as we always do.

Will return to work on Friday.

Here is one thing we are so pi$$ed off ... we have 2 large and tall avocado trees in our yard, they bear fruit only every 2, 3 or 4 years. And guess what? We have yet to try the pears in their full maturity!!

Every time the trees bore fruit we got hurricaned out a couple of months before their maturity! Two years ago they bore thousands but lost them thru the two hurricanes within a week, Fay and Gonzalo.

This year just one of them is bearing pears - hundreds of them - so it's a goodbye to them on Thurs.

Past decade or two - Fabian, Florence, Igor, etc.

Aaaargh!

We'll survive - Dark n Stormies!!! The NCL ships do have these in the bars - please go ahead and try some and think of us in Bermuda!!!

I feel bad for the diverted pax, especially those with concerns of Zika. I hope they end up happy with whatever they get from NCL (if anything), post cruise.

Last October we got a small taste of a possible diversion when our cruise stayed docked in NYC until after midnight before it left, we ended up missing a few hours in Bermuda, but it could have been MUCH worse, and it only added fuel to the fire when pax came here to vent and were met with the "Don't cruise in October" or "You signed the contract" people. Those people seriously need to get a life, right or wrong it doesn't matter, people are upset and you fools are making it worse for them.

I was looking at booking this 10/9 sailing that had all these issues, but since I only live about 90 miles from the pier, I learned that the BEST way to cruise in October is to book last minute. Book the vacation time at work, and then wait until the Wednesday or Thursday before sailing to decide if you are going. Most work places will allow you to cancel your time off if you don't end up going. I know this won't work for everyone, but it's an idea for those that are close.

For those of you who seem to feel that you're entitled & have spent time that you can't get back doing nothing other than whine, I've been watching the Bermuda webcam & as with Gonzalo, all of the boats in the marina have been moved out of the Kings Wharf harbor to safety. A hurricane headed straight for you (Bermuda) is serious stuff, & I almost wish the Captain & RCI hadn't done the RIGHT thing (because your safety is paramount) & taken you as far away from Bermuda as they can reasonably get just so you'd actually get to experience the unbelievable....THAT might get your entitled attention.....but then that wouldn't be fair to those of us who recognize the chance one takes in cruising during hurricane season & while disappointed, making the best of it while PRAISING the Captain & NCL for doing the RIGHT thing! Maybe they should've taken you to Canada instead of someplace warm within the 7 day time restraint?! Anyway, just thought you'd like to see this which came in this evening in another thread from a Bermudian!

To all Breakaway cruisers ... be very glad you ain't coming into Bermuda this week.

Here ... thick clouds hovering us all day today (Tues) and things look dark. High surf already here. No swimming or snorkeling lessons, but good times for idiotic windsurfers.

Tropical storm winds (high winds) start at 10pm Wed and ends at 9pm Thurs (23 hours we got to stay indoors).

Hurricane force winds 7am to 2pm - power likely to go off (if not before) ... no air conditioning, no running water (pumps run on elec), not flushing toilets, dare not open fridges/freezers as humidity would kick in and foods get spoiled, you're SOL if you have elec stove, no BBQ outdoors due to high winds, no computers, can't recharge devices, blah blah blah.

Nearest will be 11am Thurs. Meaning her eye. The winds around her eye are at their strongest.

Here is one thing we are so pi$$ed off ... we have 2 large and tall avocado trees in our yard, they bear fruit only every 2, 3 or 4 years. And guess what? We have yet to try the pears in their full maturity!!

Every time the trees bore fruit we got hurricaned out a couple of months before their maturity! Two years ago they bore thousands but lost them thru the two hurricanes within a week, Fay and Gonzalo.

This year just one of them is bearing pears - hundreds of them - so it's a goodbye to them on Thurs.

Aaaargh!

We'll survive - Dark n Stormies!!! The NCL ships do have these in the bars - please go ahead and try some and think of us in Bermuda!!!

Very well said!!

Last October we got a small taste of a possible diversion when our cruise stayed docked in NYC until after midnight before it left, we ended up missing a few hours in Bermuda, but it could have been MUCH worse, and it only added fuel to the fire when pax came here to vent and were met with the "Don't cruise in October" or "You signed the contract" people. Those people seriously need to get a life, right or wrong it doesn't matter, people are upset and you fools are making it worse for them..

I did cruise in October and knew well ahead of time the risks. Thinking the end of October was a safer option though, we sailed right into Hurricane Sandy. I never whined or complained about what we endured. We went with the flow and I made sure we had plenty of Bonine, ginger tablets and wristbands. Our group of 4 never got sick, and I've experienced seasickness before. Many on the ship were sick. 45 foot waves will do that. I still say many passengers do not research the possibilities of what can happen while cruising to their destination. It can really help to be informed before you go of possibilities of what can happen and to have a back up plan, just in case.

And for the passenger that wanted to snorkel, this cannot be done anywhere in Nassau, or the beaches around Port Canaveral? Probably not much to see in PC, but Nassau would have snorkelling. Instead if whining on CC, maybe they should be searching for snorkeling options in Nassau.

Edited by debshomespun

I did cruise in October and knew well ahead of time the risks. Thinking the end of October was a safer option though, we sailed right into Hurricane Sandy. I never whined or complained about what we endured. We went with the flow and I made sure we had plenty of Bonine, ginger tablets and wristbands. Our group of 4 never got sick, and I've experienced seasickness before. Many on the ship were sick. 45 foot waves will do that. I still say many passengers do not research the possibilities of what can happen while cruising to their destination. It can really help to be informed before you go of possibilities of what can happen and to have a back up plan, just in case.

And for the passenger that wanted to snorkel, this cannot be done anywhere in Nassau, or the beaches around Port Canaveral? Probably not much to see in PC, but Nassau would have snorkelling. Instead if whining on CC, maybe they should be searching for snorkeling options in Nassau.

I applaud you for making the best of what you are given, but just remember everyone is different and it's still wrong to kick someone when they are down.

I truly cannot understand people that cannot figure out how to spend $200 on a cruise ship even with prepaid everything. I just don't get it.

We just got off the Breakaway on Sunday. We were very fortunate in that we had good weather, and my heart goes out to those onboard this week. It was our first trip to Bermuda and we planned it for a year. Replacing it with Port Canaveral and Nassau would be a real letdown. We were watching both hurricanes very closely while onboard and the only affect it had on our itinerary was that we had to leave two hours early on Friday. However, as Friday morning progressed the seas became incredibly choppy and the winds picked up to almost 20 mph while still in port. Just walking back to the ship was a physical endeavor.

As to the above quote, we got onboard with $150 onboard credit and truly struggled to spend it. We are not gamblers and had prepaid our tips and had the drink package included. We bought a couple of photos, a bottle of Gosling Rum and some items in the store -- their selection of which was way too high end for us and not appealing. We don't choose to spend our vacation money on high end jewelry or cameras. My husband ended up booking internet minutes to talk with friends back home just to use up our nonrefundable portion of the OBC. In the end, because of a cancelled dinner reservation and leftover OBC, we walked off the ship with an extra $63 in our pockets. So I could very well see how some may not find ways to use up $200 in non-refundable OBC. The only way to eat that up would be if you didn't have the drink package and got several drinks a day!

I would rather they just offered a refund of $100 or something that you could use in the future.

Edited by Wyoming2010

Aaaargh!

We met some truly lovely people there, including our tour guide Heidi and her mascot Buddy. Our thoughts are with you all. Let us know how you make out.

And I totally agree with the Dark and Stormy drink -- we had them onboard and they are a winner!

Edited by Wyoming2010

The best thing about a cruise vacation is that it doesn't get totally ruined by a hurricane. Think of the people who are on Bermuda or have a land trip. If you were booked in the DR, Cuba or Jamaica last week you would have had to make the real tough call of whether or not to go.

Sure, it sucks that Bermuda is off the table but it is great that you still get a mostly sunny vacation, a luxury you would not get with a land vacation. Eat, drink and be merry. Cheers!

I cant believe we are still reading about this today! I have been watching the

Bermuda Webcam, and it does not look good. We are praying for Bermuda and the people of Bermuda.

The posters that are saying NCL should have done more then $200 OBC, you are out of your minds, go read other boards on here about other lines, some of them got nothing.NCL didn't to give you anything.

To the poster who said he or she didn't know how to spend it, because they don't drink or smoke, I say I feel sorry for you if you think that's all there is to spend it on......there is always the spa, pictures, gifts, jewelry etc etc.

Oh and once again to those of you who made an Ass of yourself at check in

being respectful to the crew/ staff....I hope you did the right thing and apologized to them.I'm glad that i didn't get to see such horrible behaviors.

To those of you who are enjoying yourselves on your cruise,good for you, and bravo for being able to go with the flow.I'm sure it was disappointing not making it to Bermuda, but as we all know , that's life, and stuff happens,it's how you deal with it,that's what matters.

enjoy the rest of your cruise, and stop by Fat Cats and tell "Big Papa"

Marion says Hello !

Marion

My husband and I were very upset. The new ports and times in them were awful. We felt NCL waited till last minute and these were the only ports and times they could get into. NCL only offered a $200 credit per room. Other cruise lines offered their guests a choice to stay or leave and credit for a future cruise. This was our first cruise with NCL and guest services was terrible. We got off the ship and went home. The price we paid was for 3 days off the ship and to Bermuda. Yes the weather cannot be controlled but Trop storm Nicole did not happen over night. We all saw it last week. I think better planning on NCL's part would have made for a better cruise for everyone on board. To not tell us until an hour before sailing is not acceptable. We did not like the feeling of being held captive on the ship so we chose to leave. What do you do in Nassau when ship arrives at 3:00PM and sails at midnight? Cruising is a good way to get around but being stuck on the ship for 7 days is not fun. Looking forward to your destination is very exciting and NCL took that away. I am wondering if anyone else got off the ship?

My husband and I were very upset. The new ports and times in them were awful. We felt NCL waited till last minute and these were the only ports and times they could get into. NCL only offered a $200 credit per room. Other cruise lines offered their guests a choice to stay or leave and credit for a future cruise. This was our first cruise with NCL and guest services was terrible. We got off the ship and went home. The price we paid was for 3 days off the ship and to Bermuda. Yes the weather cannot be controlled but Trop storm Nicole did not happen over night. We all saw it last week. I think better planning on NCL's part would have made for a better cruise for everyone on board. To not tell us until an hour before sailing is not acceptable. We did not like the feeling of being held captive on the ship so we chose to leave. What do you do in Nassau when ship arrives at 3:00PM and sails at midnight? Cruising is a good way to get around but being stuck on the ship for 7 days is not fun. Looking forward to your destination is very exciting and NCL took that away. I am wondering if anyone else got off the ship?

Honestly, if this had been our cruise week instead of last week, I would have felt the same way. The dangers to Bermuda aside, as none of us are trying to minimize that, when you plan so long for a certain destination -- and it being the only destination on that cruise -- and you are offered PC and Nassau instead, it would be a huge disappointment to someone like me who has never been to Bermuda. And arriving in Nassau at 3 p.m. is a waste. Everything that you would want to do like a museum or the aquarium at Atlantis, etc., closes at 5 p.m. or so. And sorry, but I would not want to be roaming around Nassau after dark!

Unlike other itineraries that have more than one port and you have to divert from one for one reason or another, at least you still have other ports to see. We were sailing when Hurricane Frances hit in 2004 and lost out on seeing Key West because the ship wanted to get to the western Caribbean and out of the storm's path as quickly as possible. But at least we had two other ports to see from our original itinerary. I would have left the ship in NYC. Did they offer you a refund for not sailing? I hope so!

Edited by Wyoming2010

You do realize that cruise ships get diverted due to weather all of the time, right? That if you are going to Bermuda, and weather prevents the ship from docking there, you will most likely end up in Canada or the Bahamas. This is why there is such a low rate of cancelled cruises, because they are rarely cancelled.

Honestly, if this had been our cruise week instead of last week, I would have felt the same way. The dangers to Bermuda aside, as none of us are trying to minimize that, when you plan so long for a certain destination -- and it being the only destination on that cruise -- and you are offered PC and Nassau instead, it would be a huge disappointment to someone like me who has never been to Bermuda. Unlike other itineraries that have more than one port and you have to divert from one for one reason or another, at least you still have other ports to see. We were sailing when Hurricane Frances hit in 2004 and lost out on seeing Key West because the ship wanted to get to the western Caribbean and out of the storm's path as quickly as possible. But at least we had two other ports to see from our original itinerary. I would have left the ship in NYC. Did they offer you a refund for not sailing? I hope so!

Refund for walking off the ship? Don't hold your breath on that one. If going to Bermuda is such a big deal, then booking in October is just being cheap, a roll of the dice. If you rather be in Douglasville in October rather than cruising to PC and Bahamas, then perhaps you should fly to Bermuda, forget about cruising.

What do you do in Nassau when ship arrives at 3:00PM and sails at midnight?

Would you have preferred to have a sea day? If so, stay on the ship and enjoy! They had to get into Nassau when it was available. They can't just decide to show up at a port whenever they want. It doesn't work that way. Personally, I'd love more opportunities to visit these ports in the evenings. It seems we are always sailing away earlier in the day. I'd love being somewhere until midnight for a change of pace.

I'm very confused by posts like this. I've sailed carnival and RCI and it is very common for them to also make last minute itinerary changes with no notification to passengers. Is it confirmed that they were actually offering people refunds and everything that people are claiming? Because every cruise I've ever taken, the carnival and RCI boards have a thread like this with people angry about itinerary changes with no notice and VERY MINIMAL onboard credit. And also, if you're talking about a cruise line like Disney, those passengers also paid 3x what you did for your Norwegian cruise.

Edited by jetta8300

Honestly, you talk about other cruise lines? please before you go of and talk about what they did for the passengers go to their blog and read it

You were not half "captive" on the ship you got off and went home!

If the destination is important to you , then maybe you should consider to fly!

Just be aware that flights also get cancelled at the last minute,

I can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading on here!

I'm done with this topic, and will not continue reading

or responding to some of these post.

Yes I fell bad for the passengers having to miss Bermuda

We were extremely lucky and just got back on Sunday

We had to leave 2 hours early and our excursion was canceled

but we still had a great time on board!

I would be happy just to back on board aging with all of our

great friends that sailed with us last week,

Just pulling into Canaveral - the weather was rough last night. People are angry and disappointed. The chocolate covered strawberries were flowing last night. Bahamas is going to be a bust - no excursions and shops close at 5.

Cloudy and raining so no sun time.

I really hate to say it, but I think I would rather be home.

I cant believe we are still reading about this today! I have been watching the

Bermuda Webcam, and it does not look good. We are praying for Bermuda and the people of Bermuda.

The posters that are saying NCL should have done more then $200 OBC, you are out of your minds, go read other boards on here about other lines, some of them got nothing.NCL didn't to give you anything.

To the poster who said he or she didn't know how to spend it, because they don't drink or smoke, I say I feel sorry for you if you think that's all there is to spend it on......there is always the spa, pictures, gifts, jewelry etc etc.

Oh and once again to those of you who made an Ass of yourself at check in

being respectful to the crew/ staff....I hope you did the right thing and apologized to them.I'm glad that i didn't get to see such horrible behaviors.

To those of you who are enjoying yourselves on your cruise,good for you, and bravo for being able to go with the flow.I'm sure it was disappointing not making it to Bermuda, but as we all know , that's life, and stuff happens,it's how you deal with it,that's what matters.

enjoy the rest of your cruise, and stop by Fat Cats and tell "Big Papa"

Marion says Hello !

Marion

You must not have been looking at the options other lines offered, they all offered a credit towards a future cruise.

Also when you take for instance a $200 credit divided among 4 people that is $50 each - you won't get but a crappy piece of jewelry for that and it certainly isn't going to cover a spa service. Seriously many of us don't need the crappy souvenirs, booze, etc. I don't buy the photos as I don't want them and I already prepaid for everything that I would have wanted to.

No one wanted to sail to Bermuda in a hurricane, but they should have offered people the option to cancel - as every other line did - and offered a credit towards another cruise - as every other line did.

Personally I would have made the best of it since I already had the time off of work, though just knowing you could have booked the same cruise out of Florida for a lot less money, is where NCL could have offered a bit more.

Edited by mom2tcdx2

Ah people are disappointed, so what, let them vent a little. I don't think any message they read on an internet forum will suddenly turn them around so it's just salt in the wound, especially coming from folks that aren't even on-board and thus wouldn't seem to have a vested interest either way.

Also when you take for instance a $200 credit divided among 4 people that is $50 each - you won't get but a crappy piece of jewelry for that and it certainly isn't going to cover a spa service. Seriously many of us don't need the crappy souvenirs, booze, etc. I don't buy the photos as I don't want them and I already prepaid for everything that I would have wanted to.

If the OBC is refundable, you don't have to buy anything, just go home and wait for your check. If it's non-refundable, buy a couple of CruiseNext deposits, then when you get home, call and tell them you want a refund. It's a bit of effort, and I know your time is worth a lot, but it's not an enormous hassle, either.

I get it, you would prefer for them to come to your cabin and hand you $200 in cash. But you are not forced to buy crappy jewelry or crappy souvenirs if you don't want to. You have other options. Some people actually enjoy buying the crap on board, and getting the OBC does make them feel a little better about the weather and the itinerary change.

I'm pretty sure the only other line that offered a refund for just an itinerary change was Disney. The other lines either had port issues or couldn't go anywhere. RCCL Grandeur left people behind and then could only dock in NY for goodness sake! Carnival had a ship stuck with Charleston port closed! As far as I know Disney had very few cancellations as the NY Disney cruises are so limited. I can understand disappointment but the anger is over the top. I don't blame NCL for not offering more because the passengers blaming them for things out of their control will probably never go back anyway so why bother.

We're leaving on The Breakaway on Sun the 16th. I'm fully expecting an itinerary change, which I'm fine with. Rather be safe. I'm just happy to be on a cruise!! Nicole is now a cat 2 and going to hit Bermuda directly on Thursday. The Royal Gazette stated: The storm’s slow movement could mean Bermuda will suffer 26 hours of tropical storm weather, with hurricane force winds for nine hours. Let's hope Bermuda comes through this ok.

I'm pretty sure the only other line that offered a refund for just an itinerary change was Disney. The other lines either had port issues or couldn't go anywhere. RCCL Grandeur left people behind and then could only dock in NY for goodness sake! Carnival had a ship stuck with Charleston port closed! As far as I know Disney had very few cancellations as the NY Disney cruises are so limited. I can understand disappointment but the anger is over the top. I don't blame NCL for not offering more because the passengers blaming them for things out of their control will probably never go back anyway so why bother.

You are incorrect somewhat in what was offered. Carnival offered a full refund on sailings that were altered and Royal Caribbean gave those on the Grandeur a 100% credit towards another cruise to make up for that one.

NCL could have offered more, as the other lines chose to do. They didn't have to but they did and when it comes to booking future cruises people will remember that.

I wouldn't personally have cancelled if on the BA sailing, but I think a future credit towards another cruise would have been a decent good will gesture. Even if it was only 25% would have been better than nothing.