Bad call hal

Umbarger

I'm going on the 18-day Circle Hawaii on Zaandam in April. The itinerary map shows the southern route from Kona to Hilo. If the captain or Seattle or whomever chooses to change it I'll feel blessed if that's the worst thing that ever happens to me for the rest of my life. And if it does happen, CC won't hear a peep out of me.

BTW I've recently returned from the Great Land Explorer, the longer Alaska cruise with the really cool ports. However, due to storms in the Gulf, we had to miss three of the ports that make this route unique -- Homer, Kodiak, and Sitka, essentially changing the route to just a lengthier version of the regular inside passage route. But I never posted a complaint here, nor did I express disappointment while aboard. I just felt blessed to be on a HAL ship making port calls anywhere in beautiful Alaska.

The overwhelming majority of the population of this planet will NEVER have the opportunity to sail anywhere on a HAL ship....much less turn on a faucet for potable water, or meet their daily nutritional needs.

<end of rant>

Wow! You just said everything that needs to be said on this subject. Thank you for that. You would be a joy to cruise with!

I'm going on the 18-day Circle Hawaii on Zaandam in April. The itinerary map shows the southern route from Kona to Hilo. If the captain or Seattle or whomever chooses to change it I'll feel blessed if that's the worst thing that ever happens to me for the rest of my life. And if it does happen, CC won't hear a peep out of me.

BTW I've recently returned from the Great Land Explorer, the longer Alaska cruise with the really cool ports. However, due to storms in the Gulf, we had to miss three of the ports that make this route unique -- Homer, Kodiak, and Sitka, essentially changing the route to just a lengthier version of the regular inside passage route. But I never posted a complaint here, nor did I express disappointment while aboard. I just felt blessed to be on a HAL ship making port calls anywhere in beautiful Alaska.

The overwhelming majority of the population of this planet will NEVER have the opportunity to sail anywhere on a HAL ship....much less turn on a faucet for potable water, or meet their daily nutritional needs.

<end of rant>

LOVE-It-heart-Button.jpg.0d8eda579538bdc3dcc0b6fc0de16571.jpg

Joanie

<end of rant>

[ATTACH]398244[/ATTACH]

Joanie

I LOVE it too! Thank you!:):)

Seeing Kilauea spill lava into the sea is an amazing sight and to truly be appreciated must be seen from a ship or boat. Even many locals don't have the opportunity to view this because it doesn't happen often. I think it is a shame you missed it and I can totally understand your disappointment. Had there been large swells (as there can be this time of year) or some sort of navigational or medical contingency it would be one thing but "not on the itinerary" wouldn't cut it for me either. That's when you need one of those "go the extra mile" captains. We all know who they are (and aren't).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think he is now working for Costa Cruise Lines. :mad:

Thanks to the Costa Concordia disaster, HAL does an annual psycho-analysis of its command staff. If the ship starts deviating from its course, an email is sent. If there is no response, a phone call is made to the captain!

Thanks to the Costa Concordia disaster, HAL does an annual psycho-analysis of its command staff. If the ship starts deviating from its course, an email is sent. If there is no response, a phone call is made to the captain!

....or the Captain's girlfriend? :confused:

Why are you people badgering OP? Aren't they allowed to be disappointed? I see no reason the ship skipped this feature. Maybe if there was communication to the guests explaining why it would take out some of the sting.

Corporate white knighting is an unfortunate byproduct of these forums.

I agree completely! I can't understand why so many people take such pleasure in belittling the OP's disappointment.

I agree completely! I can't understand why so many people take such pleasure in belittling the OP's disappointment.

Obviously you have not read this thread in it's entirety..

No one was belittling the OP's disappointment, because the OP had already seen the Lava flow on a cruise several weeks before.. I objected to the OP's original Title of this thread, which said "BAD CALL HAL"

The OP was talking about some of her fellow psgrs. disappointment, not hers.. The OP objected to what the Captain supposedly said to her..She intimated that the Captain lied to the Psgrs. when he said "it was not on the itinerary" .

IMO & in others opinion what the Captain said was not a lie..It was true..

"The Lava flow was not on the itinerary".. The OP also said it was "once" on the itinerary, which had been changed prior to their departure.. Just because something was once on an itinerary does not mean the Captain should have dis-regrarded the new itinerary & taken his ship by the Lava flow, especially when they are trying to save fuel, so that the prices of the cruises are not increased! The Captain did as he was told to do by the powers to be at HAL/SIZE]