Embarkation/Debarkation on the Regal

jcfamily

I've been reading the threads and have a few final questions for the group.

I am on the Nov 27 sailing (Woo Hoo!) from Fort Lauderdale and a Princess Newbie (though have sailed many times before which I know doesn't count here). I usually wait until after 1:00 to arrive at the ship, but my hotel throws me out at 11:00 so I should be at the port by 11:15 and wait in the gargantuan line that always forms. :) Am I going to have any chance at all booking chairs at the Sanctuary?

At debarkation I was going to purchase a transfer to the airport but am now reconsidering. I understand the airport is really close by and somewhere I read that the shuttle doesn't leave until later in the morning. I have an 11:40 flight which I know I can easily make but don't want to rush because the shuttle is late.

Thanks for any info,

Julie

We've always checked out of our hotels in Fort Lauderdale by 11. The lines are long but usually move quickly once they start the check-in process. As a newby, you'll get a numbered card when you enter the terminal. They start checking in the people with priority boarding (Elite, Suite, and Platinum) before starting to check in others. They'll start calling the people with numbered cards in order shortly afterward.

We always take a cab to the airport. It's convenient and inexpensive.

Arrive at the pier between 10:30 and 11am. There will be a line outside under cover that moves quickly. Once through the initial line and security you will go through check in. After check in you will be shown upstairs to a waiting area and grouped by time of arrival. Boarding starts around noon maybe a little before with priority boarders, then general boarding by group in order of arrival. Once boarding begins it goes quickly. You should be on board by 12:30 or sooner. If you want to book the sanctuary go there directly after boarding to reserve your lounge. There should be one DR open for lunch between noon and 1:30. You can also have lunch at the very large buffet area, Trident Grill or Prego Pizza by the Lido Pool, International Cafe in the Piazza on deck 5, and also at Alfredo's on deck 6 atrium. On almost all Princess ships the cabins are ready when you board, but I have read on the Regal that cabins may not be ready until 1pm.

Forget the Princess transfer on disembarkation. it's a large bus, and cost more than a cab. A taxi to the Fort Lauderdale airport will cost about $20 total and the ride is about 15mins. There are also group shuttles available if you wish to go that route.

I am on the Nov 27 sailing (Woo Hoo!) from Fort Lauderdale and a Princess Newbie (though have sailed many times before which I know doesn't count here). I usually wait until after 1:00 to arrive at the ship, but my hotel throws me out at 11:00 so I should be at the port by 11:15 and wait in the gargantuan line that always forms. :) Am I going to have any chance at all booking chairs at the Sanctuary?

At debarkation I was going to purchase a transfer to the airport but am now reconsidering. I understand the airport is really close by and somewhere I read that the shuttle doesn't leave until later in the morning. I have an 11:40 flight which I know I can easily make but don't want to rush because the shuttle is late.

Thanks for any info,

Julie

No problem if you are at the port by 11:15am. Check-in and wait for your group to be boarded. You can make a reservation for the Sanctuary as soon as you board.

You can take a taxi to FLL airport on disembarkation day.

A shared taxi (by just 2) is less costly then the cruise ship transfers to FLL. That being said, on a typical busy Saturday or Sunday there is a great demand for taxis...and the taxi queue can be longer then one might prefer. On the other hand, if you use the more expensive cruise ship transfer you will likely find yourself sitting on a bus and waiting, and waiting, and waiting...until they are full and are ready to go. So, if going to FLL we either wait in the taxi queue of try Uber. Just leave yourself some extra time to deal with those queues. The airport is less then 15 min from the port. Also consider that a taxi can take you to the proper terminal and entrance for your airline...where a transfer bus will take you to a common area which might be some distance from your airline.

Hank

Thanks for any info,

Julie

Take a cab to the airport.

Thanks for any info,

Julie

Take a taxi it's cheaper and faster. I never paid more the $20.00 dollars and that with a $3.00 tip. It only takes about 15 minutes to the airport.

Tony

Concur with those who recommend taxi to the airport, especially if you do express walkoff. Also, we haven't been able to get into our room before 1:00 on the Regal, and that has been the experience for many on this board who have reported the same experience

Some will tell you that you can drop your carry-ons in your cabin and then leave again, but that too has not been our experience on the Regal since there was no access given that the halls were cordoned off until 1:00 pm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

Thanks for the helpful info. We were thinking of carrying our own luggage off when we returned. It sounds like a taxi to the airport is the best way to go.

I will cross my fingers when I board the ship and go directly to the Sanctuary. Hopefully, there will be some spots left. My husband and I wanted to book for the whole cruise. I broke my knee at the end of summer so excursions are out for us. We plan to spend most of our time on the ship because I am not able to walk around or stand for long periods of time. Not looking forward to the lines at embarkation. :(

Edited by jcfamily

Thanks for the helpful info. We were thinking of carrying our own luggage off when we returned. It sounds like a taxi to the airport is the best way to go.

I will cross my fingers when I board the ship and go directly to the Sanctuary. Hopefully, there will be some spots left. My husband and I wanted to book for the whole cruise. I broke my knee at the end of summer so excursions are out for us. We plan to spend most of our time on the ship because I am not able to walk around or stand for long periods of time. Not looking forward to the lines at embarkation. :(

Carry off your bags and take taxi and you should be fine.

We have been on the Royal multiple times (sister ship to the Regal). I see no problem with you getting to book the Sanctuary as long as you go when initially boarding. Took Princess trasnport once out of FLL and never again, disliked waiting waiting for all to board, bus driver spending his entire time heavily suggesting he makes no $ if we all don't generously tip, etc.,

Cab is quick and easy and if you walk off you can be there in 15 mins.

I am on the Nov 27 sailing (Woo Hoo!) from Fort Lauderdale and a Princess Newbie (though have sailed many times before which I know doesn't count here).

Thanks for any info,

Julie

Julie, you might like to join the roll call for this cruise at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2218134

And yes, taxi is best way to airport.

We have been on the Royal multiple times (sister ship to the Regal). I see no problem with you getting to book the Sanctuary as long as you go when initially boarding. Took Princess trasnport once out of FLL and never again, disliked waiting waiting for all to board, bus driver spending his entire time heavily suggesting he makes no $ if we all don't generously tip, etc.,

Cab is quick and easy and if you walk off you can be there in 15 mins.

Would have forgotten to tip the guy if he badgered us like that

Ask for a wheelchair when you get to the ship for embarkation. Ask one of the Princess reps standing around the line. You'll be directed to a waiting area until a wheelchair is available and then wheeled to check in. Otherwise you may have to stand much longer than your knee will allow and suffer unnecessarily.

I know some people would rather suffer than use a wheelchair -- what a shame! No use hurting if it can be so easily prevented!

Over the years, I've arranged wheelchairs for at least embarkation and debarkation lines for an elderly sister, a daughter with a sprained ankle and another daughter (several cruises) with stage 4 cancer. They were able to go on and enjoy the cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ask for a wheelchair when you get to the ship for embarkation. Ask one of the Princess reps standing around the line. You'll be directed to a waiting area until a wheelchair is available and then wheeled to check in. Otherwise you may have to stand much longer than your knee will allow and suffer unnecessarily.

Thanks for the suggestion. My husband and I were just talking about whether its like at the airport and we can get a wheelchair. I'm not ashamed about being in a wheelchair (just got out of one when they finally let me put weight on my knee). Do they take you on the ship in it, or roll you up to the gangway and drop you off to walk on your self?

Julie

Thanks for the suggestion. My husband and I were just talking about whether its like at the airport and we can get a wheelchair. I'm not ashamed about being in a wheelchair (just got out of one when they finally let me put weight on my knee). Do they take you on the ship in it, or roll you up to the gangway and drop you off to walk on your self?

Julie

Generally, they take you directly to your cabin.

Would have forgotten to tip the guy if he badgered us like that

Would have simply said, "you get a $10 tip minus $1 for every minute we wait at the port. In most cases he might have to pay us :).

Hank