Royal Caribbean Formal question....thanks!

Hi

We are sailing on Navigator on 28 Oct. Does anyone know if passengers still dress up for formal nights? Every other Cruise we have done has been dinner suits etc., but my sister recently returned from Celebrity Millenium and said absolutely no one got dressed up, even on the formal night. The most was a smattering of shirts and ties...not even a sports jacket in sight! It seems Celebrity don't 'do' formal anymore.

Anyone know if Navigator is the same, or how I can find out? Don't want to take stuff I won't use...although it's a shame if that is the case, we loved an excuse to dress up!

Cheers

Hi Does anyone know if passengers still dress up for formal nights? Every other Cruise we have done has been dinner suits etc., but my sister recently returned from Celebrity Millenium and said absolutely no one got dressed up, even on the formal night. The most was a smattering of shirts and ties...not even a sports jacket in sight! It seems Celebrity don't 'do' formal anymore.

That's a Celebrity thing only. RCI still has formal night. The formalness of the dress OTOH is questionable. Dress however you wish - you won't be out of place if have a tux or gown, nor if you have jeans and a polo shirt.

Thanks.

This will be our fifteenth cruise with RCI, so we know the score regarding dress codes. :) and know what you mean about the some guests ideas of 'formal'! Last time on Indy hardly anyone bothered. Just wondered if formal nights were still a thing or if they had gone the way of Celebrity. Thanks again!

Thanks.

This will be our fifteenth cruise with RCI, so we know the score regarding dress codes. :) and know what you mean about the some guests ideas of 'formal'! Last time on Indy hardly anyone bothered. Just wondered if formal nights were still a thing or if they had gone the way of Celebrity. Thanks again!

Celebrity is spoiling me. Now I don't want to wear a tie and jacket on formal nights on Royal ships either. Leaving tomorrow on the Grandeur. Wifey is packing the jacket and tie[emoji34]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi

We are sailing on Navigator on 28 Oct. Does anyone know if passengers still dress up for formal nights? Every other Cruise we have done has been dinner suits etc., but my sister recently returned from Celebrity Millenium and said absolutely no one got dressed up, even on the formal night. The most was a smattering of shirts and ties...not even a sports jacket in sight! It seems Celebrity don't 'do' formal anymore.

Anyone know if Navigator is the same, or how I can find out? Don't want to take stuff I won't use...although it's a shame if that is the case, we loved an excuse to dress up!

Cheers

Hi. We'll be on this cruise with you and we are bringing our formal outfits. It's the only chance we get to dress up!

Celebrity no longer has a formal night at all, they have moved to something like 'chic' dress code. Royal still has the traditional formal night but you will see a variety of interpretations of what formal means :D

We are on the same sailing, and we will be dressing up but not black tie.

More like wedding attire, mid length dress and shirt,trousers,jacket for the OH. Tie optional depending on whether I can get him in one on the day :)

If I could find an excuse to buy a gown just for one cruise I would, but alas I have no other need for one.

We sailed 3 years ago on the Celebrity Eclipse from Southampton and the formal night was a big success, I got 'told off' by fellow passengers for wearing a silky knee length fitted dress rather than a full gown!

It was really well attended so I don't know why they have dropped it.

We no longer pack for formal night.... I have a tux and many nice suits.... but SO and I don't get worked up to dress up... we have plenty of other times we dress up.... wore my tux for two events this past year alone... one with a white tie... we have dinner in our room on Formal nights...

Now, we are on a cruise next year in the Med... I think we plan to dress up once... just because it is the Med and not the Caribbean.

It doesn't bother us what people wear to the MDR as long as it is decent. Enjoy your cruise the way you enjoy...

I wear a suite and tie to work, so I'm not wearing one when on vacation. I just throw sport coat in the suitcase for formal night when on RCCL. When on Celebrity the jacket is left home.

I couldn't agree more... but many do like to dress up and we like looking at the fancy outfits.... but we enjoy our relaxed cruise....

I personally don't think Royal should do away with their recommendations as many do like to dress up.... we just don't

Thanks all for replies.

Other half and I enjoy dressing up on cruises. Fifteen years ago it was floor length sparkling gowns and white tux. These days I am unsure, and send him to scout around early seating to see what people are wearing! We don't like evenings in the Windjammer :)

....so the prospect of absolutely no formal nights on cruises looms. This world is going to pot :D

....so the prospect of absolutely no formal nights on cruises looms...

Sorry, but that's just not true. As many of the replies in your thread here state, people do still dress for formal evenings on this cruise line. I'm not sure why you are hesitating. What changed from your reply yesterday? Wear formal wear if you want to.

Why the inflammatory reply?

My comment about the future of formal night was tongue in cheek. Lighten up!

The fact remains a lot of cruise lines have dispensed with formal night. RCI may follow suit, who knows. That is why I posted my question in the first place.

We will be packing black tie for this sailing!

I wish there were no more formal night! I'm on vacation not at work, I don't want to be forced to dress up! If others want to dress up by choice that's fine but please don't say "hey it's formal night, if you want to come to the MDR you need to dress up". I'm on a freakin Caribbean cruise, if I'm not in my swimsuit or shorts & a tank top you should be happy, don't make me wear a dang evening gown! [emoji35]

Ok, rant over [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Oasis in September we saw short shorts jeans with holes! My boyfriend couldn't believe it. He asked the hostess and she told us they were afraid to say anything because they get yelled at by the passengers. I imagine if you had the gall to wear that in the MDR you probably would not think twice about yelling at the crew! I'm all for evening chic wear but this was too much! I felt bad for the hostess...:rolleyes:

I love to dress up for formal nights. It's about the only time I get to and I love seeing the other beautiful gowns and dresses. I hope RC keeps formal nights and it sucks that Celebrity went to having chic nights. Getting less and less classy as it is. :(

It depends on who we cruise with and where. If just the 2 of use, we are less formal. I don't think DH has taken his suit for the last couple years. Dress slacks, nice shirt and tie, and I wear a nice dress. Cuts down on our luggage. We are tired of lugging around extra things we don't really need. As others have said, gowns and tuxes to jeans and capri's work and anything in between. I will say that other passengers attire have no impact on my cruise experience. It's vacation time and you should be comfortable in your clothing.